Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pickett, I've just watched two games, I recorded the game today but haven't watched it yet, strikes me a bit like an opportunistic runner, if there is a hole he goes for it or if he's flushed out of the pocket.   

Pickett's arm strength to me looks average maybe a hair below.  Speed looks slightly above average to my eyes.   I am not as jazzed as you are about him at the moment.  But like I said I haven't watched enough.  I like some of what I've seen. 

Holy crap I had no idea Allen was that fast! He didnt really show it in college. Incredible. Off to find a different comp :)

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 1

I like Pickett and I think he might be the most "pro ready" QB, but I do have some concerns about his arm strength and hand size as it relates to turnovers. He's had a fumbling problem for most of his career there. I'm also usually a bit wary of guys who are mediocre for several years then suddenly have one really good one. Certainly not a deal breaker and doesn't necessarily mean it's an aberration, but just something I keep in mind.

I think his arm is ok but nothing to write home about. He can probably make all of the throws but on deeper passes you can see he really has to put a lot into it. Reminds me a bit of Mac Jones in that way, though obviousbly Jones seems to be doing ok, especially in an offense like NE's that's a bit more focused on the short and intermediate game. 

Something else random that I've also noticed about him is that while he seems to have pretty good footwork he tends to throw at times with an overly wide base. IIRC that can sometimes sap the body torque on throws and make the QB use their arm too much. Maybe that could be a possible issue with his arm strength? I'm far from a QB guru so who knows. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I like Pickett and I think he might be the most "pro ready" QB, but I do have some concerns about his arm strength and hand size as it relates to turnovers. He's had a fumbling problem for most of his career there. I'm also usually a bit wary of guys who are mediocre for several years then suddenly have one really good one. Certainly not a deal breaker and doesn't necessarily mean it's an aberration, but just something I keep in mind.

I think his arm is ok but nothing to write home about. He can probably make all of the throws but on deeper passes you can see he really has to put a lot into it. Reminds me a bit of Mac Jones in that way, though obviousbly Jones seems to be doing ok, especially in an offense like NE's that's a bit more focused on the short and intermediate game. 

Something else random that I've also noticed about him is that while he seems to have pretty good footwork he tends to throw at times with an overly wide base. IIRC that can sometimes sap the body torque on throws and make the QB use their arm too much. Maybe that could be a possible issue with his arm strength? I'm far from a QB guru so who knows. 

Anybody have any idea of Pickett's release time? Seems like he usually has a cleaner pocket than Howell or Willis

When people are saying they don’t like Willis for this team it has very little to do with Turner. Or at least when I say it.

His one read and run style, decision making at times, pocket drift are limiting. I don’t know how well he can read a defense. And that’s going to require time.

The narrative that this team can’t foster him has little to do with the offensive coaching staff. Or even Rivera. 

It’s the city, the media, the fans.

People can say the fans don’t matter, but they do. Fassell was virtually unhired due to fans. Jason Wright is under a desk waiting for mortar rounds to stop because of fans. 

Then factor in Snyder. Then factor in that if this staff doesn’t win it’s always a possibility that they aren’t back. Now you’re changing the OC on the guy early in his career. Snyder has given too much rope with coaching staffs at times (Jay) and too little at times (Schottenheimer).

Now factor in the stuff with Snyder, Congress, the emails, the cheerleaders. There’s a lot. Lots of questions. Lots of issues.

For a guy that needs development… significant development, this is a pretty bad place to come. 

I have NO doubt they could create a scheme for Willis. But I don’t think Willis is Cam Newton, either. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As for Willis, i am not confident yet in giving an opinion, outside of his running.  I can say though I wasn't turned off by that game the way some here were.  But, I am sticking to I have to really watch at least 5 games to get a confident feel.  But IMO some of you guys have the fan situation backwards.  Who is right or wrong?  Who knows.  But I am on the opposite page on that topic.

In my view, if we are going purely fan excitement.  The last thing I'd do is a reclamamtion project punch line -- which they all are. And combine that with a high floor-low ceiling NFL prospect.   And I personally don't see Mac Jones as an example of that.  I think he's a good QB and has a higher ceiling than someone like Pickett.  Jones would be best case scenario of a high floor QB like this, not like hey that's who we are getting.  

I think if its purely to placate fans -- someone like Willis is perfect.  Not worst case scenario.  And if there is trepediation, add a veteran who can play like Matt Ryan versus a dude who will likely flop like Trubisky.

I think worse case senario is: A retread QB who is likely to fail plus a young QB with a low ceiling.   We've seen that movie too many times.  An aging Mark Brunell with Patrick Ramsey.  Jason Campbell-Brunell-Collins.  Fans were checking out heck with Alex Smith the 2018 season when they were actually winning some games.  That's when you really started to see the stands half empy.  That's not Alex's fault.  It's just this team was considering poorly run and lacked star power.

In this day and age, the NFL is about star power.  Excitement.  I don't think this team at this juncture can even survive 9-8 seasons, if they are boring., 

The worst thing for fans at this juncture is a boring team -- and that's mostly about a boring QB.  Heck I was listening to a Baltimore reporter talk about how the latest years leading to Lamar there were fans checking out in spite of them still doing well because fans found them boring and Lamar basically saved the bleeding and they are all back now.  And granted bleeding at Baltimore is nothing like fans bleeding here.

Lets say for example they sign Trubisky and draft Pickett.  We all know Trubisky isn't bringing a sole to the stands, neither are any of the other reclamations projects.  And they play Pickett, and he looks like just a guy. lets say he just looks OK.   Case Keenum style.  That IMO would do more damage to the fan base.  It's a movie they've seen plenty of times.  A rerun.  

IMO you want to go high ceiling if its all about placating fans.  The disaster IMO is drafting a guy and he looks ordinary.  I don't think fans at this juncture can take another round of hey this guy isn't that hot yet but maybe in years he can evolve to being a 15-20 type QB.  Repeat Campbell, Ramsey, etc.  Heck fans didn't even have patience for Kirk Cousins.   Are they going to sit though even just average play from a low ceiling QB?  With a high ceiling one, you will likely get teases of greatness. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

His one read and run style, decision making at times, pocket drift are limiting. I don’t know how well he can read a defense. And that’s going to require time.

I think Willis does work through his progressions, but I think he's just too slow with it too often.  Yesterday he was definitely working through them, but their passing game was so disrupted by the pressure and coverage that it's hard to draw conclusions about how well he reads the field.  7 sacks in the first half is insane.  No other QB prospect has dealt with that kind of heat this season, not even Howell.  3rd in sacks in the FBS heading into that game too, so it has been a constant issue for their offense.

I do think he can do a better job reading and anticipating his pressures, especially since his OTs are so bad.  They are just straight up terrible players who can't match up and lose to basic rushes quite often.  But I think it speaks well for Willis's toughness and poise that he hasn't been shell shocked and sped up and lost his confidence in the pocket despite the dysfunctional blocking.  And I can also see why he starts scrambling so often when the first read is covered.

I do wish he was a more anticipatory passer, and was less reactive.  That's what makes him a lesser prospect than Kyler Murray was, otherwise I would enthusiastically make the comparison between them.  But Murray also got to play behind a Joe Moore line with Hollywood Brown and CeeDee Lamb.  So I hesitate to make sweeping judgements about Willis's ability to read the field and anticipate his lanes and pressures because I think there is a fairly high degree of dysfunction in their passing game that is outside of his control. Definitely not going to make that judgement without painstakingly charting his passes and tracking his reads with All 22, and I'm just not going to do that with any of the prospects.  As a fan, I don't think I do actually have any influence on the team, and it's a waste of time to try and scout these prospects like that.  It's already frustrating enough when you've seen enough to immediately know when the powers that be ****ed up, like watching them draft Jamin Davis over Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah for instance.

Instead I'm going with my gut feeling that Willis is the biggest talent of the QBs I've seen so far.  And I'll look to precedent to see how limitations he's facing right now might not necessarily follow him to the NFL. Josh Allen and Daniel Jones went through similarly disadvantageous match ups their draft years too.  They look like different guys in the NFL where the playing field gets much more level.  But in Willis's case he is so good at escaping pressure and such a massively productive piece for the run game that they are still a high powered offense that is putting up a lot of points.

To your point about not trusting this franchise to develop a raw QB prospect, I get that.  I feel sorry for the QBs that get drafted or signed here, this place is a graveyard for their careers.  But I do think we have to take a chance now or never because Rivera is running out of time to get his rebuild off the ground.  He needs to pick a strong path at QB this off-season, and follow it through to the very end.  And I think he might as well swing for the fences and pick the one prospect with MVP type upside in the class, if he's available.  You win with great players.  If Rivera is ever going to turn the franchise around and create the stability we are desperate for, then I think he's going to need to take a big chance on a QB.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Carson Strong looking pretty pedestrian so far tonight. The guy is an enigma to me. I see flashes of an NFL QB. And then I dont. 

I recorded it, haven't watched it yet.    I love his deep ball, best in this class IMO.  But outside of that I have a hard time falling for him but I am not off him either.

11 hours ago, mistertim said:

I watched the first half of yesterday's game with Pickett just now.  So i am up to 2.5 games now with him.  Straight watching, not back and forth on TV.   Back and forth I am at 4 games. 

In my layman's opinion.   IMO Mac Jones arm strength > Pickett.  Mac Jones accuracy > Pickett.  Mac Jones selling plays (like play action) > Pickett.   Pickett is faster.    I'd take Mac over Pickett based on what I've seen without batting an eye.   But I'll watch some more to see if my opinion changes.  

I am not down on Pickett but watching him I wouldn't be shocked at all if he ends up just a guy in the NFL.   My issue with him there is nothing striking about him attribute wise.  Jack of all trades, master of none?     I saw another fumble.  Small hands -- wearing two gloves AND medicore arm strength -- I'd worry about him playing during cold weather months.   I watched a little Howell too this morning.  Howell, Pickett, Corral all are tough in the pocket but Pickett strikes me the most jittery of the three where his footwork can look clunky when flushed out under pressure.   Not bad on that front but sometimes it looks clunky to me.

I was at a game where Jones threw a perfect out route deep ball (about 50 yards in the air) beautiful rope of a throw.  I happened to be in the stands, close to where Jeudy caught that ball.  That was Jones' first season right, the same one when Tua got hurt.  Tua actually was on the bench nearby me, where I was just above in the stands, he was on crutches.  But at the time I thought Mac was probaby just a guy but that throw really got my attention.  Jones doesn't have a great arm, its just average, but its enough IMO.

There are things I like about Pickett.  I'll keep watching.  but right now, I'd have Corral easily over him.  And I am with some on this thread as to the off beat take (compared to most mock drafters) that Howell is more appealing. 

If we are sticking to a theme of who would be more exciting to fans since the topic was brought up.  To me it would have to be one among:  Willis, Corral and Howell.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for Willis, i am not confident yet in giving an opinion, outside of his running.  I can say though I wasn't turned off by that game the way some here were.  But, I am sticking to I have to really watch at least 5 games to get a confident feel.  But IMO some of you guys have the fan situation backwards.  Who is right or wrong?  Who knows.  But I am on the opposite page on that topic.

In my view, if we are going purely fan excitement.  The last thing I'd do is a reclamamtion project punch line -- which they all are. And combine that with a high floor-low ceiling NFL prospect.   And I personally don't see Mac Jones as an example of that.  I think he's a good QB and has a higher ceiling than someone like Pickett.  Jones would be best case scenario of a high floor QB like this, not like hey that's who we are getting.  

I think if its purely to placate fans -- someone like Willis is perfect.  Not worst case scenario.  And if there is trepediation, add a veteran who can play like Matt Ryan versus a dude who will likely flop like Trubisky.

I think worse case senario is: A retread QB who is likely to fail plus a young QB with a low ceiling.   We've seen that movie too many times.  An aging Mark Brunell with Patrick Ramsey.  Jason Campbell-Brunell-Collins.  Fans were checking out heck with Alex Smith the 2018 season when they were actually winning some games.  That's when you really started to see the stands half empy.  That's not Alex's fault.  It's just this team was considering poorly run and lacked star power.

In this day and age, the NFL is about star power.  Excitement.  I don't think this team at this juncture can even survive 9-8 seasons, if they are boring., 

We all hope they can bring in a young QB that can add excitement with high upside and give him an avenue to grow. It's too bad they couldn't have landed a reclamation QB like Mitch T or Mariota last season like they hoped after their top tier options fell through. They would then have a year under their belt in the system and we'd know what to expect from them. They would be set up to start the season and hope to tudor a top 2022 draft pick. Instead we have a broken Fitz falling into the broken Alex Smith mold. That's why I am not a big fan of the idea of bringing in a Matt Ryan who will be 37. 

When it comes to excitement and putting fans in the seats, I really thought our defense was on track to that with the way they played at the end of last season. They were having fun on the field. My point is - If the D had been able to continue the trend this season, it would not have been the worse thing in the world to have a boring steady QB that just wins and doesn't make mistakes. Yes Mac Jones would have nailed this based on the way he looks. I am still unsure of what QB stands out to me but I know going into the year Howell was my guy and I have not moved from that to this point...I don't find any of them exciting to this point

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

We all hope they can bring in a young QB that can add excitement with high upside and give him an avenue to grow. It's too bad they couldn't have landed a reclamation QB like Mitch T or Mariota last season like they hoped after their top tier options fell through. They would then have a year under their belt in the system and we'd know what to expect from them. They would be set up to start the season and hope to tudor a top 2022 draft pick. Instead we have a broken Fitz falling into the broken Alex Smith mold. That's why I am not a big fan of the idea of bringing in a Matt Ryan who will be 37. 

I am not a big Matt Ryan guy.  And I really can care less if they trade for him or not.

But if the idea is fans don't have patience for losing, then that's who I would get.  I am with Standig that he's likely the best avaialble veteran QB who might come here, if he's available.

IMO:  Fiz > Trubisky.  Fitz > Mariota.  they just got unlucky with the injury.  Ryan >>>>>>> Trubisky or Mariota

Speaking of Standig he among others have said look if they liked Trubisky as a reclamation project they liked would have signed him last off season.  But will see how this off season unfolds.  At least according to 2 reporters they liked Mariota but he was trade bait not a FA.  Will see. 

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I am still unsure of what QB stands out to me but I know going into the year Howell was my guy and I have not moved from that to this point...I don't find any of them exciting to this point

I like Howell from what I've seen.  For whatever reason it seems like just about all the mock drafters have soured on him, i can't recall him in the first round in any mock I've seen of late.

I'd easily take Corral over Howell.  Don't know yet about Willis.    But from what I've seen I'll go against the grain and I might take Howell over Pickett.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not a big Matt Ryan guy.  And I really can care less if they trade for him or not.

But if the idea is fans don't have patience for losing, then that's who I would get.  I am with Standig that he's likely the best avaialble veteran QB who might come here, if he's available.

IMO:  Fiz > Trubisky.  Fitz > Mariota.  they just got unlucky with the injury.  Ryan >>>>>>> Trubisky or Mariota

Speaking of Standig he among others have said look if they liked Trubisky asa reclamation project they liked would have signed him last off season.  But will see how this off season unfolds.  At least according to 2 reporters they liked Mariota but he was trade bait not a FA.  Will see. 

Yeah I am not a fan of giving up assets for any of the vet QB's. I mean the Raiders asking price for MM was ridiculous.  

Agree with your QB comparisons but am not into bringing in another late 30's starter. 

I do like that Trubisky went to Buffalo of all places.I feel if they go after him, it has to do with what their staff is telling RR. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think Willis does work through his progressions, but I think he's just too slow with it too often.  Yesterday he was definitely working through them, but their passing game was so disrupted by the pressure and coverage that it's hard to draw conclusions about how well he reads the field.  7 sacks in the first half is insane.  No other QB prospect has dealt with that kind of heat this season, not even Howell.  3rd in sacks in the FBS heading into that game too, so it has been a constant issue for their offense.

I do think he can do a better job reading and anticipating his pressures, especially since his OTs are so bad.  They are just straight up terrible players who can't match up and lose to basic rushes quite often.  But I think it speaks well for Willis's toughness and poise that he hasn't been shell shocked and sped up and lost his confidence in the pocket despite the dysfunctional blocking.  And I can also see why he starts scrambling so often when the first read is covered.

I do wish he was a more anticipatory passer, and was less reactive.  That's what makes him a lesser prospect than Kyler Murray was, otherwise I would enthusiastically make the comparison between them.  But Murray also got to play behind a Joe Moore line with Hollywood Brown and CeeDee Lamb.  So I hesitate to make sweeping judgements about Willis's ability to read the field and anticipate his lanes and pressures because I think there is a fairly high degree of dysfunction in their passing game that is outside of his control. Definitely not going to make that judgement without painstakingly charting his passes and tracking his reads with All 22, and I'm just not going to do that with any of the prospects.  As a fan, I don't think I do actually have any influence on the team, and it's a waste of time to try and scout these prospects like that.  It's already frustrating enough when you've seen enough to immediately know when the powers that be ****ed up, like watching them draft Jamin Davis over Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah for instance.

Instead I'm going with my gut feeling that Willis is the biggest talent of the QBs I've seen so far.  And I'll look to precedent to see how limitations he's facing right now might not necessarily follow him to the NFL. Josh Allen and Daniel Jones went through similarly disadvantageous match ups their draft years too.  They look like different guys in the NFL where the playing field gets much more level.  But in Willis's case he is so good at escaping pressure and such a massively productive piece for the run game that they are still a high powered offense that is putting up a lot of points.

To your point about not trusting this franchise to develop a raw QB prospect, I get that.  I feel sorry for the QBs that get drafted or signed here, this place is a graveyard for their careers.  But I do think we have to take a chance now or never because Rivera is running out of time to get his rebuild off the ground.  He needs to pick a strong path at QB this off-season, and follow it through to the very end.  And I think he might as well swing for the fences and pick the one prospect with MVP type upside in the class, if he's available.  You win with great players.  If Rivera is ever going to turn the franchise around and create the stability we are desperate for, then I think he's going to need to take a big chance on a QB.

I see the talent in Willis. I won’t argue that. I just don’t trust the DC Football area to develop a guy that raw. For me to take a flier on him I’d have to talk to him and decide on his football IQ. I obviously won’t be able to so I have to trust the people that make decisions do their diligence.

I wouldn’t hate Willis here because I see the talent level. But I see a lot that makes me pause. If there isn’t a plan and it’s not followed he’s DOA as far as franchise level QB in DC goes.

I still think Howell is better than Mayfield and better than people here credit him for. 

I don’t think he has the same raw talent as Willis. But I think he has a higher chance to refine his ability into production in DC and therefore be a better pick. 

Same with Corral. Though I think Corral is going to Detroit.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Small hands -- wearing two gloves AND medicore arm strength -- I'd worry about him playing during cold weather months.

I noticed the glove on his throwing hand after another poster pointed it out and others are mentioning his small hand size.  Do you or any other poster know how small or a pro QB equivalent?  

8 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I noticed the glove on his throwing hand after another poster pointed it out and others are mentioning his small hand size.  Do you or any other poster know how small or a pro QB equivalent?  

Joe Burrow was given plenty of grief over having 9 inch hands, which is considered quite small by NFL standards. IIRC Pickett's hands are 8 1/4 inches, which is absolutely miniscule by NFL standards. It's no wonder he has to wear two gloves and that he has fumbling problems. I also wouldn't be overly surprised if his hand size affects his arm strength as well.

I think the hand size thing is a bit overblown, but his hands are absolutely tiny for an NFL QB and that does cause some concern. It's obviously enough of an issue for him now that he has to wear two gloves on his throwing hand to make it bigger.

Edited by mistertim
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Joe Burrow was given plenty of grief over having 9 inch hands, which is considered quite small by NFL standards. IIRC Pickett's hands are 8 1/4 inches, which is absolutely miniscule by NFL standards. It's no wonder he has to wear two gloves and that he has fumbling problems. I also wouldn't be overly surprised if his hand size affects his arm strength as well.

I think the hand size thing is a bit overblown, but his hands are absolutely tiny for an NFL QB and that does cause some concern. It's obviously enough of an issue for him now that he has to wear two gloves on his throwing hand to make it bigger.

This changes everything…

1 hour ago, SeatCushionGame said:

Heath Shuler had small hands!  😮

I read recently that Howell's stats this year are very similar to his performance last year.  Considering the talent that offense lost, I think that is pretty commendable. 

Howell's stats had a bit of a drop off, but to be honest I actually thought it might be more, considering how many weapons he lost after last season. So I've been pleasantly surprised there. As @Skinsinparadisenoted, it seems like some analysts and mocks have soured on him a bit, but I don't think his drop off was enough to warrant it. I think it's just one of those weird groupthink things that happens every year with certain prospects for no readily apparent reason.

• Like 1

As for Howell, I am guessing its the primacy effect.  He got off to a rough start and some of the mock draft types never got over it.

Some here are higher on Howell than the typical mock drafter.  Myself included.  How high I am on him I still am trying to dicipher.

The only thing I feel confident about as to having a hard opinion on is Corral is the top QB in the draft.  And if you asked me today which QB I'd want here, he'd be the guy.   I am intrigued by Willis but got to watch more. 

Reading different draft reports on and off it seems like there is a high variance on Strong and Pickett.  With Pickett you got some saying he's the next Burrow and others saying he's overrated and just an NFL backup.    As for Strong somewhat the same thing, not so much the critics saying he's a backup but I noticed some aren't high on him at all and others have him among the top 3 QBs in the draft.

I am having a hard time myself diciphering Willis, Strong, and Pickett.  I got to watch more.  I think I got a handle on Corral, I am getting there on Howell. 

• Like 1

I don't think draftniks were that high on Howell to begin with.  Him being QB1 was just a guess heading into the year, and it assumed he'd make a leap that never materialized.  The reason I'm not as high on him as the other prospects is because his film isn't that good or impressive.  He hasn't been rhythmic or accurate and he's taken a beating by hanging around forever in the pocket and not seeing the field.  Even yesterday it was impossible not to notice how much better Sam Hartman played and Hartman is a future Ryan Fitzpatrick type journeyman QB.  Baker Mayfield's college film over his last two seasons was much, much better, and Baker hasn't exactly lit the NFL on fire.  For a guy who looks for all the world like the poor man's version of him, that's not a favorable peek at his NFL ceiling.

He's still a first rounder, but he hasn't been as good as the other four top QBs in the class this season.  That's what's hurting him.  But at least he didn't fall apart and lose his starting job like Spencer Rattler did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redskins Reparations said:

This changes everything…

Not really. You have to remember that the hand size measurement is actually a measure of hand span. From the tip of the thumb to the tip of the pinky on a spread hand.  Not length. It could be that a player has less flexibility in their hand than another. Or bent fingers. My pinkies are bent in towards my hand. Romo and Vick both had hand spans under 9 inches. And both could rip the ball. The one stat where I do believe it may matter is in fumbles as mistertim pointed out above. Both of those guys had fumbling issues. But I am not sure if that is a product of their smaller hands or their freelancing style of play. 

By the way Fitzpatrick has a 10.75 inch hand spread. Which is monstrous. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 2