Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been team Corral just about from the jump of the college season.    I can't wait to see Saturday's match up with Willis.

I am still forming my opinion on Willis.  I am not all in, yet.  This game is big and will go a long way for what I think of him.  Seems like the hip position on different threads is to see Willis as overrated.

I guess i am a contrarian on Willis, I think his ceiling is sick and that intrigues me and intrigues me a lot.   I like Corral a lot but IMO he doesn't have a sick ceiling.    I don't think some of the mock drafters including McShay and a PFF dude I listened to talk about the QBs on a radio show last night -- are off with that Willis might be the first QB taken in the draft and they think its justified. 

I know on the QB thread, someone thought my position that Willis as a runner is on a sick level/great was a ridiculous take.  lol, but heck I've had other views that some thought were absurd, and heck some of them actually worked out to be true to my "crazy" take, so I am not bowing to peer pressure on this :ols:.  At least not yet, but I'd sour on Willis if he puts in a lemon game this Saturday.

I felt the same way early on about Corral, I wanted to see him pass certain tests, and he did. 

It is really Willis' only test this season. So I am interested in watching it as well. Also looking forward to next Thursday nights Pitt/UNC game. Gonna be able to watch Pickett and Howell go at it head to head. 

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That arm with that blazing fast release 😮

He kind of looks like Kyler Murray too.  Vick had small stature and hands and Willis is built thicker like Kyler Murray is.

It's not like this guy isn't pedigreed either.  He was an Auburn transfer and VT recruit.  Probably just a late bloomer, and I assume he must be really religious and just found a safe home at Liberty.

My gut says this kid is QB1 and that he feels like a top five pick.  Could have been Howell but he put out a lot of god awful film at the beginning of the season, and he's just not as gifted as Willis.  I feel like it's crystallizing for Willis the way it did for Murray in 2019.

His release is horrid. And is going to need a ton of work. But I agree completely about his arm strength and athelticism. Both are elite. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 1

Daxton Hill, Jaquen Brisker, Brandon Joseph, Demand Richardson, McKinnley III, Catalon.

This is who I'm interested in. High second should give us a clean shot at most of them. I dont know how to scout guys like yall do, but I want a true centerfilding opportunistic FS that can get the guys in front of him lined up correctly and lock down that ****ty secondary thats wasting our kick ass front 4 that has almost 80 hurries this year.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Daxton Hill, Jaquen Brisker, Brandon Joseph, Demand Richardson, McKinnley III, Catalon.

This is who I'm interested in. High second should give us a clean shot at most of them. I dont know how to scout guys like yall do, but I want a true centerfilding opportunistic FS that can get the guys in front of him lined up correctly and lock down that ****ty secondary thats wasting our kick ass front 4 that has almost 80 hurries this year.

I doubt Daxton is there but man wouldn’t that be something?

• Like 1

I'm still waiting to see more film on Willis, not just his highlights. 

I'll grant he's got a strong arm, and strong running skills.  He fits the college game well, especially since the coach's game-plan seems to rely on an a quick, one-read type of passing attack.  When the Malik's first target is not immediately open, then Willis tucks the ball and starts running for yardage.  From the limited film I've seen, I don't see much demand of Willis to implement a progression-read style of passing attack.  To put it plainly I didn't see Willis taking the time to look how his #3 target might be doing.  Rather he was quick to leverage his running skills and to forego taking more time in the pocket to look for another receiver who might be getting open, .... or who could be "led to becoming open" through great placement of the pass away from tightest part of the close coverage.

In the pros, this "one-look and then run" tendency might likely result in Willis having to take off scrambling more often. While the new NFL rules tend to protect the running QB, they still get hit a lot and will wear down.  So, would Washington really get 3-4 full seasons of Willis being able to start, or would the Team get a season and a half of "RG3 types of highlight performances" out of Willis, until some injury brought him back to earth?  Even the durable RPO QBs, like Jackson and Murray are really getting worn down over the season -- even having to sit from time to time.  I wonder if Washington would be lucky enough to have their QB remain at a high performance level. or might They wind up with someone an often injured Mariota, or a Broken RG3 again?

Lastly, I wonder how flexible would Rivera/Turner actually be to change their offensive game plan into something like Baltimore to accommodate Wills?  I haven't seen them be that willing -- so they might wind up trying to fit Willis into their style of play-schemes... Like a square peg into a round hole.

If Willis play shows he's an all-around talent, and can fit the pro-level game, then I think he won't get past the Lions or Philly.

Edited by Wyvern

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been team Corral just about from the jump of the college season.    I can't wait to see Saturday's match up with Willis.

I am still forming my opinion on Willis.  I am not all in, yet.  This game is big and will go a long way for what I think of him.  Seems like the hip position on different threads is to see Willis as overrated.

I guess i am a contrarian on Willis, I think his ceiling is sick and that intrigues me and intrigues me a lot.   I like Corral a lot but IMO he doesn't have a sick ceiling.    I don't think some of the mock drafters including McShay and a PFF dude I listened to talk about the QBs on a radio show last night -- are off with that Willis might be the first QB taken in the draft and they think its justified. 

I know on the QB thread, someone thought my position that Willis as a runner is on a sick level/great was a ridiculous take.  lol, but heck I've had other views that some thought were absurd, and heck some of them actually worked out to be true to my "crazy" take, so I am not bowing to peer pressure on this :ols:.  At least not yet, but I'd sour on Willis if he puts in a lemon game this Saturday.

I felt the same way early on about Corral, I wanted to see him pass certain tests, and he did. 

I find this tweet/stat to actually be a negative. I don't want my QB trying to break tackles. That's for sure going to get him injured in the NFL.

I'm honestly kind of torn on Willis. His talent is way up there but he plays for a small school against poor competition and while his arm is great he just doesn't impress me a ton as a passer. His running ability is elite but he needs to stop trying to run through guys.

I also am not sure this team and/or fanbase would have the patience for a guy like that. He's going to be super raw and is very unlikely to be ready to start year one. But we all know that Dan will probably push to get him on the field and the instant the current starting QB throws an interception the fans will be screaming for Willis...and will then turn around and call him a bust after his first interception.

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I find this tweet/stat to actually be a negative. I don't want my QB trying to break tackles. That's for sure going to get him injured in the NFL.

I get it, but it does help he's got more of the Russell Wilson/RB bodyshape.  Just 2 inches taller.  He's not built like most scrambling QB's.  His balance is good enough he can force awkward tackles and then break that tackle attempt.  What I don't want his him forcing awkward tackles when there's nothing to gain.  Multiple defenders around you, you're going to get blasted doing a spin move on an arm tackle while 3 other defenders are within 5 yards.  But he does it often.

I need to see more of him throwing on the run.  He's such a good scrambler, that he can make it work.  But I want to see more, it doesn't happen as often as I hoped it would.

16 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Him and Brisker I'd think would be the top targets. People thought Moehrig was a first rounder last year and he slid back, so who knows.

Moehrig more than likely was a nailed on first rounder until his back injury raised concerns pre draft.

9 hours ago, mistertim said:

I'm honestly kind of torn on Willis. His talent is way up there but he plays for a small school against poor competition and while his arm is great he just doesn't impress me a ton as a passer. His running ability is elite but he needs to stop trying to run through guys.

I also am not sure this team and/or fanbase would have the patience for a guy like that. He's going to be super raw and is very unlikely to be ready to start year one. But we all know that Dan will probably push to get him on the field and the instant the current starting QB throws an interception the fans will be screaming for Willis...and will then turn around and call him a bust after his first interception.

I am guessing this is more about Willis' reputation as a passer?  Because i am doubting too many people are watching Liberty games.  I just watched one full game one so I am not ready to give a full evaluation of him as a passer.  As to his reputation its a bit mixed, more positive, depending on the report. Some say freakish arm talent, makes tight window throws, great off platform, quick release.  Others say slow release, needs to work his progressions more, too many picks lately.  In the game I watched it was not enough for me to dicipher from those two camps.  I've seen enough though to confidently say he's the ONLY freak talent among the QB in this draft.

If there is component that's becoming more in vogue of late with QB evaluations its don't sleep on the freak talents at QB especially those who can run even if they are inconsistent as passers in college.  See Josh Allen.  See Lamar Jackson.  See Justin Herbert.  Heck I recall debating (I am not claiming i was a Mahomes guy, i wasn't but I just threw him out there is a mix once in a debate) Mahomes among a litany of QBs in that draft.  And I said something like really talented but really raw.  And I can recall who debated back on that (it was someone who I've not seen on the board now in years) and he made fun of the idea of "raw" saying something like raw doesn't even begin to describe how raw he is. 

Look I am not saying Willis is any of those guys.  I got no idea.  But I do recall one thing they had in common was having loud critics.  And the idea that I can be mocked for bringing up Willis as a possibility in the QB thread -- if anything is a good sign. :ols:.  These guys tend to get strong pushback.  I think that is part of the reason why they fall down the draft some.  

As a runner he's such a freak that its easy to for me to do a quick take.  He doesn't have to run through guys to look special as a runner.  He does it all on that front.  He can run right by guys too without breaking tackles.  He's better from what I've seen on that front than Lance and Fields.    Special runner.  

I am not so convinced most fans will call him a bust and have no patience but even if they did so what?  

I am sure some fans won't have patience for anything at this point.  But they have to just deal with it.  Panther fans panicking about Darnold and this is his 5th year.  Any solution they have at QB, especially if its a veteran and they are just "meh" I think will bring an outcry.   We are dealing with 20 years plus of futility at QB.  Rivera inherited that angst.  And this organization has to deal with it.  It is what it is.  I am a big Corral guy but do I think he takes the league by storm from the jump?  nope.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Wyvern said:

Lastly, I wonder how flexible would Rivera/Turner actually be to change their offensive game plan into something like Baltimore to accommodate Wills?  I haven't seen them be that willing -- so they might wind up trying to fit Willis into their style of play-schemes... Like a square peg into a round hole.

As to Scott Turner, I am agnostic.  I noticed he has some fans on the board.  And he has some who really really don't like him.  For me there are things I like (the use of backfield motion-McVay, Reid style) the use of anaylitcs as for run-pass percentages, Warren Sharp loves him.  But, I don't think he's Jay when it comes to play design -- that's my issue with him.  i know some hang on a play or two that makes your head scratch every game. 

But when I watch football I could say the same about just about every offensive coordinator.  If you call enough plays you are bound to have some head scatchers in the mix of the soup.  So I am a full soup kind of guy when it comes to playcalling.  If its a play or two or even three, I'd hate all play callers.  And pretty much every play caller we've had since the Gibbs 2 years i recall was disliked with a faction of fans here.  Exception being McVay after he got through year 1 where he was roughed up. 

It feels to me that Rivera oddly has inheritied the Jay Gruden reputation for QB or that's how it feels to me.   Jay was the system guy.   Yes, Haskins failed here but it wasn't IMO because of it was the wrong system for his talent -- they ran plenty of mesh routes and stuff he did in Ohio State.  But IMO Haskins was too limited of a passer accuracy wise and didn't work hard to the extent that he could overcome and improve on the things he didn't do well.  It just was what it was.  I wasn't a fan of him before the draft, it didn't surprise me at all that he failed.  

He cleared waivers, where every team in the NFL could have claimed him but not a single team did.   They did do the Alex dink and dunk WCO style for when he played.   Heincike was a dude out of football, undrafted and they had limited success with him.   Ditto Kyle Allen.   And they did this with limited passing weapons.  It's not like they are taking champagne QBs and turning them into water.    Kyle Shanny was considered very limited by many fans when he had Rex and Beck.   The offense wasn't moving so it was on him.  Maybe it was the QBs and not so much Kyle's system that limited the offense for example. 

Rivera's team were innovators with Cam.  They brought the RO to the NFL in a big way before Kyle Shanny made it cool later on.  So I don't get the apprehension that they'd struggle with a running QB.  I think if there is an apprehension about Ron on that front is he'd embrace it too much.  They ran Cam into the ground.   In interviews, Rivera lights up when he talks about how hard it is to defend running QBs.  He sounds just like Shanny did on that front.    So if I had to pick my fear with Rivera it would be it ends up like RG3 2012, not that he and Turner would pigenhole Willis into being a QB that goes against his skill set. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

Willis is how you cope with Turner's subpar playcalling IMO.  He's a friend for a mediocrity like Turner because he doesn't limit your passing game in any way, he gives you the extra blocker in the run game, and because of his creativity and ability to salvage a poor script.  You can simplify your run blocking schemes and just do a lot of read option and be effective.  You can call a ton of throws outside of the numbers where you're isolating 1 on 1 coverage because of how effortlessly he sticks those throws.  Especially on one step drops where the ball is coming out quick and you can bank like seven yards every time.  And he buys time for your downfield stuff to get open and has the arm to wait on those throws a little bit longer than a normal QB.

I've been going through his cut ups and loving most of what I see.  I don't think he has a problem with his release at all.  It is blazing fast and it looks like DeShaun Watson's to me.  It's compact and he can hold the ball forever and uncork it late and still get it off in traffic and with power.  It does come out from a bit of a low slot but it's not a big deal since he's usually either throwing it fast or moving around to clear out his lanes.  My early takes on his weaknesses that I've seen so far are:

1 - He doesn't do a good job identifying his pressures.  He's reactive and quick and can bounce out of danger sometimes, but I think he's not reading them accurately pre-snap, and he's not feeling them out enough, especially when he's broken the timing of the play.  There needs to be an internal clock running in his head that sets off an alarm when he's taken to long telling him he's going to have pressure from X side

2 - He turns it over too much.  Function of the first weakness.  He fumbles a lot and, while he can get better, it's still going to happen a lot given how loose he is with the ball while trying to string out plays.  He's ****y and will hold out for the big play to the bitter end, and he'll force throws into tight man coverage assuming he'll win and he's going to throw a lot of picks doing that early in his NFL career.

3 - Placement is good, especially on throws outside of the numbers, but not great.  Downfield touch and placement is lacking, definitely compared to Sam Howell.  You're not really sure where that ball is going to end up.  He also backfoots a lot of throws, and it becomes a problem on the deep ones.  He likes to sit on throws when he's got vertical concepts to let the reads develop, but too often that means he won't get set up for them, so he'll hang them short or throw wrong shoulder.  I notice he also throws difficult heaters into the flat and can be inconsistent on placement here.  He's a typical young big armed QB who throws almost everything hard and hasn't mastered the situations where touch is preferable and makes life easier for the receiver.  But I'd still rather have a QB who can drill it to me in the flat rather than make me wait on the ball while the DB is coming to kill me.

4 - He's got to get to that second read more quickly and consistently.  Trusts his legs too much when the path of least resistance is just taking the check down.

I've only really watched Howell, Corral, Willis, Ridder, and Pickett so far, but of this group, Willis has been the most impressive to me.  I think he's a cut above the others in terms of talent, and that the other four are largely equal and form a second tier.  I see their respective ceilings like this:

1 - Willis = Kyler Murray with Vick shiftiness and balance and ability to gear up

2 - Ridder = Dak Prescott.  Right now, he's not the passer that the other four are.  But there is something special about this dude.

3 - Corral = Somewhere between Derek Carr and Drew Brees.  Much bigger arm than late career Brees, but similar stature and similar hyper speed and urgency in the pocket.

4 - Pickett = Stafford but not as strong armed

5 - Howell = Baker Mayfield but not as good of vision and not as patient and creative

I like any of those five for us, and I think they're all worthy of going in the first round and building around.  I'd favor Willis right now if he's there, because I think he's the one with superstar potential.  But it kind of feels like he'll be QB1 and go before we pick unless the bottom completely falls out on our season.  After him I think I favor Ridder and Corral over Pickett and Howell.  I like Corral's try-hard energy and his competitiveness.  He really locks in and I think he might have some leader in him.  I know Ridder does and I suspect his intangibles are through the roof and he could end up being a way better pro passer than college passer.  But I do like Pickett and Howell too.  We need to draft one of these guys, and with how our season has been going, we'll probably have a shot at QB2 or QB3 with our natural pick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am guessing this is more about Willis' reputation as a passer?  Because i am doubting too many people are watching Liberty games.  I just watched one full game one so I am not ready to give a full evaluation of him as a passer.  As to his reputation its a bit mixed, more positive, depending on the report. Some say freakish arm talent, makes tight window throws, great off platform, quick release.  Others say slow release, needs to work his progressions more, too many picks lately.  In the game I watched it was not enough for me to dicipher from those two camps.  I've seen enough though to confidently say he's the ONLY freak talent among the QB in this draft.

If there is component that's becoming more in vogue of late with QB evaluations its don't sleep on the freak talents at QB especially those who can run even if they are inconsistent as passers in college.  See Josh Allen.  See Lamar Jackson.  See Justin Herbert.  Heck I recall debating (I am not claiming i was a Mahomes guy, i wasn't but I just threw him out there is a mix once in a debate) Mahomes among a litany of QBs in that draft.  And I said something like really talented but really raw.  And I can recall who debated back on that (it was someone who I've not seen on the board now in years) and he made fun of the idea of "raw" saying something like raw doesn't even begin to describe how raw he is. 

Look I am not saying Willis is any of those guys.  I got no idea.  But I do recall one thing they had in common was having loud critics.  And the idea that I can be mocked for bringing up Willis as a possibility in the QB thread -- if anything is a good sign. :ols:.  These guys tend to get strong pushback.  I think that is part of the reason why they fall down the draft some.  

As a runner he's such a freak that its easy to for me to do a quick take.  He doesn't have to run through guys to look special as a runner.  He does it all on that front.  He can run right by guys too without breaking tackles.  He's better from what I've seen on that front than Lance and Fields.    Special runner.  

I am not so convinced most fans will call him a bust and have no patience but even if they did so what?  

I am sure some fans won't have patience for anything at this point.  But they have to just deal with it.  Panther fans panicking about Darnold and this is his 5th year.  Any solution they have at QB, especially if its a veteran and they are just "meh" I think will bring an outcry.   We are dealing with 20 years plus of futility at QB.  Rivera inherited that angst.  And this organization has to deal with it.  It is what it is.  I am a big Corral guy but do I think he takes the league by storm from the jump?  nope.

I've "watched" 3 Liberty games. I put watched in quotes because I was switching back and forth between a few games, as I often do on Saturdays so I can see multiple different guys. So yeah, I'll absolutely admit that my analysis (insofar as it is one) is based on a relatively small sample size. There were things I really liked and things I was sort of "meh" on. There wasn't anything that stood out where I said "holy crap he's terrible at that" but it's also tough to tell when he's going up against guys who will likely never even sniff an NFL field.

There's no doubting his freakish talent. Huge arm, can throw off platform and zip outs into tight windows, has plus accuracy in general though some passes can sail on him from what I saw. Running ability is indeed elite. He's got the same "wiggle" and lateral agility that Vick did, so he's not just straight line speed guy like an RG3. I'm not a huge fan of his throwing motion. IMO while it's not "slow" he has a bit of a windup. Not a huge deal but it was noticeable to me. 

He's absolutely an intriguing prospect in the somewhat the same way that Lance was last season. I'm just not sure how high I'd take him and I'd need to read more about his character, intangibles, work ethic, etc. I've never heard anything bad, but I haven't really dug in much.

Some ES Draft Thread favorites showed well last night.  Michael Pittman and Jonathan Taylor looked amazing, but that OL put such an ass whipping on the Jets DL that everyone looked good.  Elijah Moore looked pretty good last night too.  Looked like Terry McLaurin TBH, same quickness and strong hands.  Denzel Mims looked like a bum and it's definitely not a good sign for him that he's so far down the pecking order in that receiver room.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

It is really Willis' only test this season. So I am interested in watching it as well. Also looking forward to next Thursday nights Pitt/UNC game. Gonna be able to watch Pickett and Howell go at it head to head.

I don't know enough about college defenses to say if it matters, but Willis has another ranked (as of right now) opponent on the schedule.  Louisiana is ranked #24.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Some ES Draft Thread favorites showed well last night.  Michael Pittman and Jonathan Taylor looked amazing, but that OL put such an ass whipping on the Jets DL that everyone looked good.  Elijah Moore looked pretty good last night too.  Looked like Terry McLaurin TBH, same quickness and strong hands.  Denzel Mims looked like a bum and it's definitely not a good sign for him that he's so far down the pecking order in that receiver room.

Yup!  Denzel Mims is definitely someone I missed on (and I'm sure others here too).  Only matter of time before Elijah Moore had a good showing.

Hypothetically, if we had not traded up for Montez Sweat (but had the same picks for 2020), our roster could look like:

Pick #49 in 2019.  We could have grabbed two safeties in Taylor Rapp or Nasir Adderley.  Or grabbed AJ Brown, which likely would have meant no McLaurin.

Pick #34 in 2020.  Michael Pittman for a legit 2 WR group...or grab Jonathan Taylor there, and then take someone else with the Antonio Gibson pick.

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Yup!  Denzel Mims is definitely someone I missed on (and I'm sure others here too).  Only matter of time before Elijah Moore had a good showing.

Hypothetically, if we had not traded up for Montez Sweat (but had the same picks for 2020), our roster could look like:

Pick #49 in 2019.  We could have grabbed two safeties in Taylor Rapp or Nasir Adderley.  Or grabbed AJ Brown, which likely would have meant no McLaurin.

Pick #34 in 2020.  Michael Pittman for a legit 2 WR group...or grab Jonathan Taylor there, and then take someone else with the Antonio Gibson pick.

I never had a take on Mims because I never really watched him enough to form one.  There were too many receivers that year.  I did like Pittman and Moore though, and it feels like both Pittman and Amon-Ra St Brown are doing their thing but Tyler Vaughns just dropped off the map entirely.  Didn't even get drafted.  Kind of surprising outcome to me because he was the alpha in that unbelievably talented receiving room.

I wouldn't have traded up for Montez in 2019, that was my position at the time, and I think I still wouldn't have even now.  If we get those picks back, then 100% I'm picking DK Metcalf at #49.  No hindsight necessary for that one, he was one of my favorite players in that entire class and I had an early first round grade on him.  It killed me at the time to see how far he dropped and we had no shot at him because of the trade up.  At #34 I think I would pick Taylor too, he was another favorite of mine and I had him in my top 16.  But there were a ton of high quality droppers in that class.  Epenesa, Winfield Jr, Jaylon Johnson, Trevon Diggs, Kristian Fulton, and even Jeremy Chinn looked like a fringe first rounder I thought.  Diggs, Fulton, Johnson and Epenesa were all clear first round worthy guys IMO, so they would have been tempting too.  I can't remember exactly how my board shook out that year, but I think Taylor was the highest ranked guy on my board among that group.

We'd certainly be in a better place today with a skill group of McLaurin, Metcalf, and Taylor.  But at least Montez is good.  You can only hold so much regret for a mistaken trade when it still got you a good player.  Opportunity cost is tough to pay, but the name of the game is acquiring good players and you can always make up opportunity cost by making other good moves down the road.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I thought Vera-Tucker looked stout.  But, yeah, that Indy line - especially the right side, put on a clinic last night.  

I watched the Syracuse game live... and I rewatched it. And his one read and go style is so evident in that game. Also watched bits and pieces of the other games...

He is a runner. He runs like a running back but without the ball protection. He has a strong arm but is a definitive one read and go player.

He is strong, fast, and athletic and absolutely looks a lot like Vick. His OL isn't great. 

But a big part of Liberty's offense is the option/designed QB run game. That will be more limited. He looks uncomfortable as hell in the pocket against SU.

My current take on Willis is unchanged:

-Excellent speed, athleticism, CoD and arm strength

-Relatively high percentage passer (could be due to his tendency to tuck and go when a read fails)

-Smart player

-I said arm strength already, but this guy has a howitzer.

-playermaker/superstar swagger

-His running ability makes teams have to play him with the awareness he can take off, which opens up dump offs when he attacks the perimeter.

Cons:

-Struggles going beyond the first read

-Provides entirely too many turnover chances

-Trusts his arm too much (will throw across the field to an out breaking route)

-Tries too hard for the big play and costs his team positive yardage

-Throws fastballs even when the opportunity for the changeup is a better plan and it hurts his receivers

-Doesn't see the blitz well. 

Pro Assessment: Won't be ready year one. If he plays the franchise and its fanbase and the media HAS to understand patience. He is going to stink at times. If he is fostered correctly and allowed to learn this guy has sky high potential. If he goes to a situation where he has to play right away or asked to and doesn't have a tremendous support system and group of players around him he could be in trouble.

I don't think this is the team for him.

Even if we get Trubisky or Mariota... the second they play "meh" everyone is going to want to see him. If he comes in and lights it up all will be tremendous, of course. But if he comes in and struggles even a little? Yikes. 

• Like 3

Crazy thought here.  What if we drafted a raw QB in the 1st (Willis), and then spent a 3rd rounder getting Matt Ryan?  There have been rumors the Falcons were ready to cut ties with Ryan when the time was right.  Well, they're rebuilding, have a new coach and new GM, and maybe those rumors happen in the offseason?

52 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Crazy thought here.  What if we drafted a raw QB in the 1st (Willis), and then spent a 3rd rounder getting Matt Ryan?  There have been rumors the Falcons were ready to cut ties with Ryan when the time was right.  Well, they're rebuilding, have a new coach and new GM, and maybe those rumors happen in the offseason?

They aren’t going to let go of Ryan unless they have a QB that they think can play a little bit. 

On 11/4/2021 at 6:38 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

My opinion has been ridiculed from multiple people for pumping up Willis on the QB thread.  I got hit for no one else, just Willis.   

I got no problem with yours or any opinion about any player.  You weren't who I was thinking of when I made that point.   I just noticed that there is a pushback on Willis from some. 

I was thinking this morning about the predicament this team is with fans.  I like some of these young QBs but I admit even the dude I've been touting the most, Matt Corral, will unlikely bring fans back, at least not right away.   Malik on the other hand might be the perfect tonic.  This organization was at its peak under Dan in 2012 -- RG3 was exciting. Malik IMO is the most exciting of the prospects.  I am not saying I am in on him. i am getting there though.  I want to see how he does this Saturday first.   Again if he bombs I'll sour on him some.  But I am very intrigued. 

That's exactly the take I gave, that was my comparison, and I got mocked for it on the QB take as that being absurd.  😀

I don't think the excitement angle matters because generally that kind of vibe doesn't stick if the winning isn't hand and hand w/the excitement. I think if Willis hits, that's what matters. If he's a legit franchise QB, then that's what matters. The fan's only fill the stands consistently for winners. Very few fan bases show up perpetually regardless of results. Even our fan base eventually was basically killed by 25 years of bad ownership (the end of the Cooke era was bad, six straight years of ----- performances, and then Snyder showed us what genuinely bad, cancerous bad ownership could be over the ensuing 22 years). 

Some fans are gone period (almost like me), others can only be brought back by sustained success. SImple as that. Nothing else will do it. We've had one and done's ('99, '05, '07, '12, '15), and one exciting one and done ('12), but nothing ever stuck because they were all one and done's. 

I hope Willis falls to us, I'd take it, I don't see a franchise QB with any of these guys other than maybe Willis, and maybe Corral, but I'm better at telling who sucks, then whose actually good. It's just worth noting that in a draft w/QB's like this, it's best to just target the highest ceiling guys who also have impeccable mental make up/work habit reports. If Willis has the latter, I'm in, if he doesn't, the ceiling doesn't matter.