Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

Just now, Florgon79 said:

Seems more likely he’d be our Paul Richardson 2.0. But you are the James Washington expert here so yeah, let’s sign him. None of it matters until we figure out the QB situation. We hardly have a better situation than a declining future HOFer. 

I claim no such thing but it is evident I do know more about the man than yourself. Were you aware James was awarded The Biletnikoff in 2017 for his performance? All I am suggesting is 1. James Washington is a not a 'trash' player as you state and 2. A change of scenery could be fruitful for us and James  

I can provide a solid recommendation for Michael Gallup as a potential #2 WR behind Terry.  He has about 1950 yards in his last two seasons, but is unlikely to stay in Dallas as a #3 receiver.  Some team may throw #1 wr money at him, but if not, I think he can be a solid addition to most offensive systems.

He is coming off IR due to a calf injury from the first game this season, but I wouldn't expect that to be a concern in the future.

23 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I claim no such thing but it is evident I do know more about the man than yourself. Were you aware James was awarded The Biletnikoff in 2017 for his performance? All I am suggesting is 1. James Washington is a not a 'trash' player as you state and 2. A change of scenery could be fruitful for us and James  

I didn’t say he was a trash player. I said The Steelers trash is our treasure. It means we are picking up a player that might be our number 3 and can’t even crack their top 4. It’s more of a commentary on our team than it is James Washington. That said he’s not coming here and getting us anymore yards than he did his best year with the Steelers, which was 735 yards and 3 touchdowns?  So what’s the point? Is that the kind of production you’re looking for out of a free agent acquisition? Or are you convince our vaunted offense will get him to 1000 yards and double digit touchdowns?

1 minute ago, Florgon79 said:

I didn’t say he was a trash player. I said The Steelers trash is our treasure. It means we are picking up a player that might be our number 3 and can’t even crack their top 4. It’s more of a commentary on our team than it is James Washington. That said he’s not coming here and getting us anymore yards than he did his best year with the Steelers, which was 735 yards and 3 touchdowns?  So what’s the point? Is that the kind of production you’re looking for out of a free agent acquisition? Or are you convince our vaunted offense will get him to 1000 yards and double digit touchdowns?

Alas, let's just agree to disagree and move on shall we? I do not see James Washington as a #3 WR at best that would contribute little to nothing. I think he would be a weapon ala Deebo Samuel - a tough, physical receiver and outstanding compliment to Scary Terry. I also apologize if I misinterpreted your trash statement. No hard feelings on my part moving forward.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

We might have a lot of cap room but that doesn't mean squat because we're gonna have to pony up to retain guys like McLaurin, Sweat, Payne etc.

If we do sign them all to large contracts, usually the 1st year is team friendly, we could possibly get all 3 signed for about 25m cap hit for 2022, maybe even lower. 

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

James Washington is trash.

Stop signing garbage players that can't make it work on system friendly teams and expecting them to blossom and then get upset and blame the coaches when they don't.

You want a good WR? Sign a good WR.

That’s tricky when you don’t have a QB. There’s a reason we didn’t get Amari Cooper. The only reason Samuel came here IMO is the Rivera connection. I’m no longer recommending OBJ btw but he has already stated he only wants to go to a contender. Just to point out that it’s easier said then done. Usually money talks but if the money is the same and you get to have a real QB throw you the ball, what’s the incentive to sign with us?

I think unfortunately for us we are looking at James Washington types AND the draft. 

That’s tricky when you don’t have a QB. There’s a reason we didn’t get Amari Cooper. The only reason Samuel came here IMO is the Rivera connection. I’m no longer recommending OBJ btw but he has already stated he only wants to go to a contender. Just to point out that it’s easier said then done. Usually money talks but if the money is the same and you get to have a real QB throw you the ball, what’s the incentive to sign with us?

I think unfortunately for us we are looking at James Washington types AND the draft. 

I don't think we're in the WR market, since it's clearly not our missing link. Guys get open just fine. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't think we're in the WR market, since it's clearly not our missing link. Guys get open just fine. 

Yeah maybe but it would still be nice to have better options. Im pleasantly surprised with Deandre Carter but I know there are better options out there. We need as many playmakers as possible. We need to have the problem good teams have which is too much talent that you can’t possibly resign them all after the rookie contracts. And of course a QB that can hit open receivers.

Yeah maybe but it would still be nice to have better options. Im pleasantly surprised with Deandre Carter but I know there are better options out there. We need as many playmakers as possible. We need to have the problem good teams have which is too much talent that you can’t possibly resign them all after the rookie contracts. And of course a QB that can hit open receivers.

Only way to have that problem is by drafting well and the Steelers over draft the WR position. 

1 hour ago, Florgon79 said:

Signing with a contender comes with risk for him, but I’m sure OBJs team is encouraging him to connect with a good healthy situations to show he’s not the issue in Cleveland. Helping to secure another contract. It’s a long shot, but Washington offers opportunity to produce. As you mentioned, his reps getting it out to the public that he wants to play for a contender is telling bad teams not to claim him, in my opinion. 

Not sure I’d want to take on $7mil this season, sacrificing that roll over cap. Though, I feel like roll over cap has been done the last 10 years, do they actually use it or is it being pocketed?

51 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Is the James Washington thing a meme I missed out on or something? I don't get it. Isn't he like the #4 WR on Pittsburgh? I must be missing something.

Somehow people are suggesting signing cast off WRs who haven't done anything in the NFL will somehow fill the missing link to our offense and amassing weapons like James 2 catch Washington will be enough to help entice a great QB to come here. 

21 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Signing with a contender comes with risk for him, but I’m sure OBJs team is encouraging him to connect with a good healthy situations to show he’s not the issue in Cleveland. Helping to secure another contract. It’s a long shot, but Washington offers opportunity to produce. As you mentioned, his reps getting it out to the public that he wants to play for a contender is telling bad teams not to claim him, in my opinion. 

Not sure I’d want to take on $7mil this season, sacrificing that roll over cap. Though, I feel like roll over cap has been done the last 10 years, do they actually use it or is it being pocketed?

If I was OBJ, I'd be calling Cincy. :ols:

• Like 1

I can see the FA discussion but let's be honest, we do not know what we need until we get a QB. No reason not to get a wish list - and for the record kicking the tires on James Washington if available would not be the worst thing we could do. But until we get a QB and know what they need around them it's kind of an empty exercise. 

I say that becasue we may have some potentially great receivers and not even need another receiver when we get a legitimate QB. Or they may all be trash - oops! 

image.png.97764d10dd9932e50e6cdcd375cdb219.png

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

Vegas, LA, Oakland, the Raiders still being the Raiders. They have a had a tough couple of weeks. Makes WFT look like an almost well oiled machine...

Hope he is not considered in Washington 

Raiders waived CB Damon Arnette.

A video of Arnette flashing multiple firearms and verbally threatening someone surfaced last week, spurring the former No. 19 overall pick's release. With henry Ruggs's recent release, the Raiders are now without both of the first-round picks they made in 2020. Arnette failed to make much of an impact in a season and a half. He appeared in four games this year before suffering a groin injury that sent him to injured reserve. Arnette broke up one pass and logged four combined tackles in those four non-starts.

Edited by DWinzit

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

James Washington is trash.

Stop signing garbage players that can't make it work on system friendly teams and expecting them to blossom and then get upset and blame the coaches when they don't.

You want a good WR? Sign a good WR.

Totally agree....problem is, when free agency starts, James Washington may be the only WR willing to sign here.

I hope we nab Odell.  We have the money yo sign him.  If anything rent him for the season and if it doesn't work out, let him go.  For some reason people forgot how he torched us year after year.

1 minute ago, Dexter said:

Totally agree....problem is, when free agency starts, James Washington may be the only WR willing to sign here.

I hope we nab Odell.  We have the money yo sign him.  If anything rent him for the season and if it doesn't work out, let him go.  For some reason people forgot how he torched us year after year.

If he clears waivers, Odell wants to sign with a contender. Not happening. Also, he hasn't torched anyone since week 6 of 2019.

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

There’s a difference though between guys getting open (and whether we’re talking vs zone or man, and against what quality of defenses) and guys that are playmakers.  I think we could absolutely use a receiver with enough talent to take pressure off Terry.  Maybe Samuel is that guy when healthy.  Of course, there’s also a question of whether Terry signs a 2nd deal here, let alone enough quality depth to still function at a high level when one of our top 2 is out.  I like Carter and Milne, and I’m still very intrigued by Brown’s potential, but I can’t as of yet call them quality depth.

To your underlying point though, first and foremost we need a qb that can (consistently) get the ball to those open guys.

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Vegas, LA, Oakland, the Raiders still being the Raiders. They have a had a tough couple of weeks. Makes WFT look like an almost well oiled machine...

Hope he is not considered in Washington 

Raiders waived CB Damon Arnette.

A video of Arnette flashing multiple firearms and verbally threatening someone surfaced last week, spurring the former No. 19 overall pick's release. With henry Ruggs's recent release, the Raiders are now without both of the first-round picks they made in 2020. Arnette failed to make much of an impact in a season and a half. He appeared in four games this year before suffering a groin injury that sent him to injured reserve. Arnette broke up one pass and logged four combined tackles in those four non-starts.

Damn, the Raiders 2020 draft is looking pretty rough.  Two 1st rounders (Ruggs, Arnette) gone!  Two of their three 3rd rounders (Lynn Bowden, Tanner Muse) gone! 

5 picks in the top 100 and Bryan Edwards is all that's left of it.   

Edited by drowland