Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

High school student who sat in Pence’s chair during Capitol riot is sentenced to 1 year in prison

A high school student who stormed the U.S. Capitol, assaulted a police officer and sat in a Senate floor chair reserved for the vice president was sentenced on Wednesday to one year in prison.

Georgia resident Bruno Joseph Cua was 18 when he attacked the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, making him one of the youngest people charged in the riot.

Before learning his sentence, Cua apologized for his actions and told U.S. District Judge Randolph Moss that he is ashamed of his role in a mob's “attack on democracy.”

“Everything that day was just one terrible decision after another,” said Cua, now 21.

Moss sentenced Cua to a prison term of one year and one day followed by three years of supervised release. The judge convicted Cua of felony charges after a trial earlier this year.

Moss told Cua that he was prepared to give him a longer prison sentence before he heard his statement in court on Wednesday. The judge said he believes Cua is truly remorseful.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

^^^ I call bull****. 

Whoever talked him into that nonsense is more than likely still in his life.   That person will more than likely STILL be in his life upon his release.  (And there's a chance that they will still be as stupid/ignorant.) 

Need to make sure it STICKS. 

IF YOU PARTICIPATED, YOU'RE TOAST.   I GON'T GIVE AF HOW OLD YOU ARE. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Colorado father and son arrested in connection with Capitol riot

A father and son from Highlands Ranch were arrested in connection with the Jan. 6th, 2021 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.

According to a document from the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), David Tyner told federal investigators that he and his son, Christian Tyner, made a father-son trip to Washington, D.C. and went to then-President Donald Trump's Jan. 6 rally.

David Tyner told investigators they went back to their hotel, then followed a crowd to the Capitol, according to the document. He said he saw people swarming the building, then saw tear gas billowing out the front door. 

Tyner claimed he and his son never entered the Capitol, according to the document, but they are captured on surveillance video inside the building.

The document says the Tyners entered the Capitol through the east Rotunda door just after 3 p.m. and that at one point, David Tyner confronted a law enforcement officer. It says the Tyners were inside the Capitol for about 16 minutes.

• Like 1

Using the Trump playbook, trying to delay...

John Eastman, awaiting potential indictment, asks judge to postpone his disbarment proceedings

Attorney John Eastman, an architect of Donald Trump’s last-ditch efforts to subvert the 2020 election, is asking a California judge to postpone disbarment proceedings lodged against him, saying he’s increasingly concerned he’s about to be criminally charged by special counsel Jack Smith.

“[R]ecent developments in the investigation have renewed and intensified [Eastman’s] concerns that the federal government might bring charges against him,” his attorneys Randall Miller and Zachary Mayer wrote in an Aug. 4 filing posted to the court’s public docket on Monday.

Miller said the growing concern about criminal charges might prompt Eastman to assert his Fifth Amendment rights during disbarment proceedings. The Fifth Amendment generally allows people to refuse to provide testimony that could be used against them. But invoking the Fifth Amendment in the disbarment proceedings would jeopardize Eastman’s ability to defend his law license, his lawyers wrote.

“[Eastman] requests that the Court exercise its discretion to stay the State Bar’s disciplinary proceeding against him pending resolution of a parallel criminal investigation being conducted by Special Counsel Jack Smith and any trial or other proceedings that may result from that investigation,” Miller and Mayer wrote.

Bar discipline authorities have charged Eastman with multiple violations of professional rules and ethics — as well as the law — in his effort to upend the certified results of the 2020 election. Eastman’s bar discipline trial began in June — and he had even testified for several hours without asserting his Fifth Amendment rights. But it was postponed to late August after the proceedings ran longer than the initially anticipated two weeks.

11 minutes ago, Larry said:

Not really wanting to be defending The Coup or anything, but ....

Part of me says that "Client wants to do X. Come up with some way he can do it, legally." is kind of what lawyers are supposed to do. 

Legally being the operative word.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, Larry said:

Part of me says that "Client wants to do X. Come up with some way he can do it, legally." is kind of what lawyers are supposed to do. 

Assisting in committing crimes, on the other hand, is not what lawyers are supposed to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Larry said:

And when you have a ton of lawyers saying you can't, you don't get you just cherry pick the advice of one lawyer because he said you can.

• Thumb up 2

3 hours ago, China said:

Legally being the operative word.  

I agree. 

But other than the document forgery, what part of the plan was illegal?  

Now, I've thought for some time that there needs to be a law. I think of the law as "abuse of office". It would apply to government officials who use a power which they have legally been granted, for an immoral purpose. 

I think of things like Congress abusing their investigatory powers. 

I think the classic example I would use, would be that yes, the Constitution does grant POTUS the power to use nuclear weapons. But no, Donald Trump did not have the authority to vaporize Atlanta, thus cancelling all those votes, and winning Georgia. 

3 hours ago, Larry said:

so I think this is the part a lot of people either gloss over or miss entirely when they start complaining about how long this is taking. 

I think the DOJ’s stance is he knew he lost, and was doing this anyway. Which removed the “just following legal advice” defense. I imagine that’s hard to prove. I also imagine if the DOJ followed through with charges, it’s because they believe they can prove it. 

sorry if I have that wrong but I seem to think that was part of their narrative. I think that can turn into a difficult thing to do. 

1 minute ago, Larry said:

But other than the document forgery, what part of the plan was illegal?  

Well other than the fact that there is going to be a thing called a trial to lay all this out for us, have you read the indictment?  It's laid out there pretty well.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

Peter Navarro asks for another trial delay after calling pregnant witness to testify

Peter Navarro wants to delay his trial on contempt of Congress charges again because one of his witnesses is pregnant.

The former White House trade adviser to Donald Trump subpoenaed Liz Harrington, who is the former president's spokeswoman, to testify at his trial scheduled for Sept. 5, but he asked to delay an upcoming hearing and the trial after learning she is due to give birth Aug. 29.

"Ms. Harrington's testimony will corroborate other evidence that President Trump instructed Dr. Navarro to assert executive privilege in response to the J6 Committee's subpoena," reads a court filing by his attorneys.

Harrington had been scheduled to appear at an evidentiary hearing scheduled for Aug. 28, and Navarro's attorneys said they learned two weeks ago of her impending childbirth, and said she could not be certain whether she could attend.

Chicago Police Officer Karol Chwiesiuk, sister found guilty of charges in Jan. 6 Capitol riot

The ABC 7 I-Team has learned after more than five hours of deliberations, a Washington, D.C. jury has found a Chicago police officer and his sister guilty of four charges related to the Jan. 6 attack on Friday.

The most serious of the misdemeanor counts carry a maximum sentence of one year behind bars.

Karol Chwiesiuk and his sister will be sentenced on Dec. 7 at D.C. federal court. The siblings are some of the few Jan. 6 defendants who rejected plea deals and opted for a jury trial. In another rare move, the sidelined CPD patrolman testified in his own defense on Thursday, telling the jury he did not vandalize anything and did not hear the alarms blaring when he entered the Capitol.

Prosecutors showed the jury several photos and videos of the then 29-year-old officer in the crowd that breached the building. He testified that he went through a busted window, instead of using the door, because it was a quicker way to get through the crowd.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, China said:

Prosecutors showed the jury several photos and videos of the then 29-year-old officer in the crowd that breached the building. He testified that he went through a busted window, instead of using the door, because it was a quicker way to get through the crowd.

Recall once waiting my turn in traffic court, and the judge asking a question of a defense attorney:  

"And all of those empty beer cans in your client's car?  I assume he was collecting them for recycling?"  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

The unindicted co-conspirators look like they are jockeying for position to make each other look worse:

Trump Allies Deliver ‘Incriminating’ Info on Conspiracy-Peddling Sidney Powell

Special Counsel Jack Smith’s investigation appears to be zeroing in on Sidney Powell, a conspiracy-theory-obsessed lawyer who was a key figure in Donald Trump’s efforts to overturn the 2020 election.

Four sources with knowledge of the matter, several witnesses, and Trump allies who’ve appeared before the special counsel — including at least one in the past few days — team seem to agree: Powell should be preparing now for Smith to bring criminal charges.

On Monday, Bernie Kerik — a longtime Rudy Giuliani associate and a Trump ally who worked on the Giuliani-led legal team challenging Trump’s 2020 defeat — sat with special counsel investigators for a roughly four-and-a-half-hour interview, according to his lawyer Tim Parlatore. (Parlatore previously served as a top attorney to Trump, advising the ex-president on Special Counsel Smith’s probes.)

“Based on the contents of their questions, and my understanding of criminal law, the main individual who was discussed who Mr. Kerik gave any information that could be incriminating would be Sidney,” Parlatore tells Rolling Stone on Thursday. Parlatore added that what Kerik told investigators included: “That there was no back-up for anything she said, that when she was asked to provide proof she didn’t produce anything, and when she was cut loose [from the official Trump legal team], how she kept trying to push her way in.”

Powell has already been identified by numerous news outlets as one of the six unnamed — and so far unindicted — alleged Trump co-conspirators enumerated in the indictment. In the special counsel indictment, Smith described her — though did not name her — as “an attorney whose unfounded claims of election fraud [Trump] privately acknowledged to others sounded ‘crazy.’ ”

It'll be fun when the indictments of the co-conspirators drop.

• Haha 2