Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Legislative/Policy Discussions - Now with a Republican House starting 2023

goskins10

Are we not talking about how pro labor union Biden is?  We got the UAW deals which just precipitated Hyundai having to also raise wages.  The NLRB pissing off companies.  Democrats should be touting these labor wins.  It is a shame Obama didn't push this much when he was President (just my impression). 

Oh... we don't hear about this in corporate media?  

Trump quote on Fein:

I think he’s not doing a good job in representing his union, because he’s not going to have a union in three years from now. Those jobs are all going to be gone, because all of those electric cars are going to be made in China.

Trump on the strikes:

You're all on picket lines and everything, but it doesn't make a damn bit of difference what you get because in two years -- you're all going to be out of business. You're not getting anything. What they're doing to the auto industry in Michigan and throughout the country is absolutely horrible and ridiculous

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Are we not talking about how pro labor union Biden is?  We got the UAW deals which just precipitated Hyundai having to also raise wages.  The NLRB pissing off companies.  Democrats should be touting these labor wins.  It is a shame Obama didn't push this much when he was President (just my impression). 

Oh... we don't hear about this in corporate media?  

Trump quote on Fein:

Trump on the strikes:

I'm with you.  GA doesn't really recognize the SEIU, which is my industry. 

Luckily, the Senators I worked to elect here get it and they do help. 

• Like 1

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cardi-b-calls-out-joe-biden-i-know-thats-right-podcast_n_655d1d46e4b0662eb43bfdd0

In the video, Cardi, who supported Biden in the last election, said she will not be endorsing a candidate for 2024. She argued that the U.S. economy is in bad shape and even more communities would be affected without federal help.

She specifically condemned Biden for prioritizing military spending related to Ukraine and Israel instead of addressing some of the issues happening in this country.

“Joe Biden is talking about, ‘Yeah, we can fund two wars,’” she said. “Mother****er’s talking about, ‘We don’t got it, but we got it, we’re the greatest nation.’ No the **** we’re not. We’re going through some **** right now. Like, say it. Say it. We really, really, really... are ****ed right now.”

Yeah.  Because you'll get someone closer to what you want by making it easier for Trump to win. 

No one likes the two party system really.  The response should be, "I am in love with Biden.  But, in our silly dumb, two party system - he's a lot closer to me than Trump."

But, I guess she is just like any other wealthy person....

And what she's talking about is a function of Congress........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cardi-b-calls-out-joe-biden-i-know-thats-right-podcast_n_655d1d46e4b0662eb43bfdd0

In the video, Cardi, who supported Biden in the last election, said she will not be endorsing a candidate for 2024. She argued that the U.S. economy is in bad shape and even more communities would be affected without federal help.

She specifically condemned Biden for prioritizing military spending related to Ukraine and Israel instead of addressing some of the issues happening in this country.

“Joe Biden is talking about, ‘Yeah, we can fund two wars,’” she said. “Mother****er’s talking about, ‘We don’t got it, but we got it, we’re the greatest nation.’ No the **** we’re not. We’re going through some **** right now. Like, say it. Say it. We really, really, really... are ****ed right now.”

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

She ain't wrong.

Yes she is wrong. She is falling for the right wing talking points of one impacts the other. Sending aid to the Ukraine and Isreal does not take away money to help Americans. The republican congress are the ones who are doing that if anything. They want no social programs, prefering to give rich people tax breaks.

More importantly, I mean this as an honest question, please explain how the economy is bad? Unemplotment back below pre-covid. GDP well above most any of Trumps Qs including and esepcially pre-covid. Real Estate still moving. Gas back to precovid levels. Yea, so a few things, maybe even many things, cost more. But along with employment, wages are up. Those are due to supply and demand and an economy quickly recovering from Covid. It's funny, the Rs complained the economy rebounded too slow under Obama from Ws recession. Now we are recovering too fast from Trump's poor economy due to Covid. 

I keep hearing how bad the economy is. But dealerships can't keep enough cars on lots. Housing inventory remain seriously low, unemployment is low, GDP is high. Gas is to precovid levels. I paid $3.12/gl for premium. Regular was like $2.69. Wages are.  BTW Deficit spending is down and on it's way to back below $1T after trump sent it soaring. He added almost as much in 4 yrs as Obama did in 8. 

She is parroting the right wing talking points of **** everyone else just take care of Americans. But the fact is that we cannot just fold into a shell and ignore the rest fo the world. Both Ukraine and Isreal are strategic partners. Not to mention giving them money is not taking away from Americans. More importantly, I am not hearing from her or any of the right wingers with this parroting line what policies they want to see changed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Yeah.  Because you'll get someone closer to what you want by making it easier for Trump to win. 

No one likes the two party system really.  The response should be, "I am in love with Biden.  But, in our silly dumb, two party system - he's a lot closer to me than Trump."

But, I guess she is just like any other wealthy person....

And what she's talking about is a function of Congress........

We can't brag about freedom of speech if we have to stay in line for our political parties all the time.

I haven't heard a word about public option since Biden was campaigning to be President, that would directly impact folks to help counter balance out what's going on with inflation.

I'm not feelin the idea Biden should have a ceiling on criticism in fear Trump might be elected.  Not in the land of the free that ended two wars in large part because the military budget was in the $700 billions and is now in the $800 billions with us financing two new wars.

The proper response to the the rapping former stripper when she brings they up shouldn't be telling her to stay because Trump might win.  Thats weak and borderline unnerving.

@Renegade7

Yes, but Cardi B can also be criticized for not understanding that her choices are between -- to quote the NYT:

A 77-year-old racist, misogynist bigot who has been found liable for rape, who incited a deadly, violent insurrection aimed at overturning a democratic election, who has committed mass fraud for personal enrichment, who is facing 91 separate counts of felony criminal charges against him, and who has overtly discussed his authoritarian strategies for governing if he returns to power.

And

An 80-year-old with mainstream Democratic Party views who sometimes misspeaks or trips.

She is refusing to endorse the mainstream Dem. After endorsing him in 2020.  That was the context of the article. 

I didn't listen to the Podcast to see how nuanced the discussion was.  

• Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

@Renegade7

Yes, but Cardi B can also be criticized for not understanding that her choices are between -- to quote the NYT:

And

She is refusing to endorse the mainstream Dem. After endorsing him in 2020.  That was the context of the article. 

I didn't listen to the Podcast to see how nuanced the discussion was.  

If she doesn't matter her endorsement doesn't matter.  Shes a rapper, not trade union.

In meantime we shouldn't blow it off, some of these warning signs are real.

Many of these biden successes sound great on a macro level but folks are still hurting on a micro dinner table level.

My rise I health insurance eats so badly into my wage increases I basically break even, and I got promoted in late 2022.  The raging economy raised interest rates to point it might have to wait to buy a house in a zip code with best public schools I can find in NOVA.

We should not underrate then how individuals are doing with all this large good news, that was my takeaway from her rant.  I can't say that's best way to articulate it, but you heard her music you wouldn't expect what I see people asking for from her.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We can't brag about freedom of speech if we have to stay in line for our political parties all the time.

I haven't heard a word about public option since Biden was campaigning to be President, that would directly impact folks to help counter balance out what's going on with inflation.

I'm not feelin the idea Biden should have a ceiling on criticism in fear Trump might be elected.  Not in the land of the free that ended two wars in large part because the military budget was in the $700 billions and is now in the $800 billions with us financing two new wars.

The proper response to the the rapping former stripper when she brings they up shouldn't be telling her to stay because Trump might win.  Thats weak and borderline unnerving.

I agree with this. I just wish people would stick to facts. I do not like everything Biden has done. He mangled Afganistan. I am not in toal agreement with how has handled Ukriane. Our leaders have to be able to take criticizm. And I refuse to believe some fair complaints will be enough to get the idiot elected. if it is, then he was likely getting elected anyway. 

But she is issuing talking points without any data to support. And again, the idea that if you support our intersts over seas it directly impacts our support at home is not very intelligent. Last but not least, what policies woud she like to see adopted? This is my bigger problem with most celbrities from btoh sides. They have a platform great. But whining with no solutions is not useful. 

35 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

If she doesn't matter her endorsement doesn't matter.  Shes a rapper, not trade union.

In meantime we shouldn't blow it off, some of these warning signs are real.

Many of these biden successes sound great on a macro level but folks are still hurting on a micro dinner table level.

I think it's more perception now than reality. Or thier true painis from corporate greed not anything policy related. The primary driver on household finances is gas prices and they are back down to near covid levels and wages are up. But people would rather complain about paying 30 cents more for some milk than see they have $30 more in thier paycheck. 

My rise I health insurance eats so badly into my wage increases I basically break even, and I got promoted in late 2022.  The raging economy raised interest rates to point it might have to wait to buy a house in a zip code with best public schools I can find in NOVA.

Bidens policies, and in fairness Trumps have very little impact if any on what your companie decideds to charge you for insurance. The marketplace (ACA) prices are about the same from what I can tell (I have 2 people in my household that use the marketplace). My company choose not to raise premiums again for the 3rd year in a row. 

Housing prices are up as are interst rates. But waiting to get into the areas with the best schools are not a below poverty line issue. Not even a lower middle class issue. 

We should not underrate then how individuals are doing with all this large good news, that was my takeaway from her rant.  I can't say that's best way to articulate it, but you heard her music you wouldn't expect what I see people asking for from her.

I get her rant. But she provided no specifics nor solutions. Just whining. And she ignored the macro. Should not ignore either. 

EVs won’t be made in China and shipped here. We can see the auto industry is actually heading the opposite direction. More automation and built in US and Mexico is my bet..

On 11/21/2023 at 2:33 PM, Captain Wiggles said:

$8.50 "convenience fee" every month to pay my commercial property power bill is bull****. Especially considering they automatically charge $20 a month for the service to begin with. Residential has no such fee or automatic charge. 😒

Hey you want to shovel coal into your steam powered generator or pay the $8.50?

• Haha 1

@goskins10

I get many of your points, and I was reamed pretty early in my career by a manager for bringing up an issue without a potential solution for her to sign off on, another problem she had to "figure it out".  But I worked for her in a specific position to support her and the business we worked for, Cardi B doesn't work for Biden, she's more like a customer of the DNC, a consumer of their product being from NYC, and she just dropped a pissed off Yelp review.

I just can't get my expectations up on having a serious political debate with Cardi B of all people, a lot of people I've known I can't have the type of convos we have here on ES with sources to keep the it grounded.

You're right, I'm not eligible for ACA marketplace and trying to buy a house somewhere like West Springfield is not a lower class problem. 

But it is a problem I make more then both my parents combined at same age they were and still having such similar problems with how outrageous childcare has become and how it can get in the way of getting a house in a good school district.  I refuse to buy some McMansion in Spotsylvania like some folks I know and paying for private school to make up for it, to me that's like paying for school twice because my taxes is still going to public schools I won't be using.

My car insurance has gone up because of inflation, my phone bill, these companies all gave me their line of logic for why they had to do that, its not as simple as food prices, with two toddlers we are blessed my wife made enough breast milk for each to basically get through their first year in life.

At the end of the day, this should feel more like a customer review and a company deciding to blow it off or dig it into it when they see a similar combo of words in different reviews.  What I see is what can be decerned as a list of items people that can do something about it should speak to at minimum.  Messaging has historically been the achilllies heel of the DNC. 

"Customer is always right" is more a saying then actually true.

CDC wants to fortify corn masa flour with folic acid to prevent birth defects

For the last 25 years, the U.S. has required that grain and cereal products be fortified with folic acid — and the CDC is now urging manufacturers of products made using corn masa flour to add the B vitamin to minimize the risk of birth defects in the Latino population.

Every year, around 3,000 babies in the United States are born with a Neural Tube Defect (NTD). Most of them have spina bifida or anencephaly, which is a fatal neural tube defect in which the brain and skull don’t develop properly. 

The Latino population has the highest rate of neural tube defect impacted pregnancies in the United States. 

NTDs are often associated with folate deficiency during pregnancy. Folate is a very important B vitamin — vitamin B9, to be specific. 

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Biden Administration to Overhaul Welfare Following ProPublica Reporting

The Biden administration this fall is quietly moving to overhaul welfare, aiming to end multiple abuses of the nation’s cash assistance program for the poor that a 2021 ProPublica investigation found states have been engaging in for years.

Through a package of proposed reforms to the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, or TANF, the administration plans to shore up the U.S. social safety net. The regulations are intended to ensure that more federal and state welfare dollars make it to low-income families, rather than being spent on other things or not spent at all.

The proposal, drawn up by the federal Administration for Children and Families, is open for public comment until Dec. 1. Once comments are reviewed, officials plan to issue final regulations that could take effect in the months after that, heading into the 2024 election.

The first change would prohibit states from counting charitable giving by private organizations, such as churches and food banks, as “state” spending on welfare, a practice that has allowed legislatures to budget less for programs for low-income families while still claiming to meet federal minimums. ProPublica documented how Utah avoided more than $75 million in spending on public assistance over the past decade by taking credit for aid to the hungry and homeless provided by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (Many of the vulnerable Utahns we interviewed felt that in order to access desperately needed aid, they had to participate in Mormon religious rites they didn’t believe in.)

TBy banning this practice, the Biden administration’s plan would force Utah to stop taking credit for what the church does and instead spend more state money assisting people in poverty.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/21/2023 at 12:40 PM, Fergasun said:

On the other hand, can't say I was too impressed with how the railworker strike was handled.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Been critical of Biden being too old for public office, and in some ways I still feel this is true. That said, he accomplished one of his biggest foreign policy achievements in his term by negotiating for the release of Israeli hostages.

I don't know a nice way to say this to folks that may (not saying you do) think he might die in office...but we need to ride this Biden mf'r till the wheels fall off...

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2