Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT.com: Chase Young, Kamren Curl Named To PFF's 2020 All-Rookie Team

TK

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/chase-young-kamren-curl-pff-2020-all-rookie-team

Chase Young, Kamren Curl Named To PFF's 2020 All-Rookie Team

Jan 04, 2021 at 06:43 PM
Logan Campbell

Team Reporter

Takeaways010421

Chase Young and Kamren Curl celebrate Curl's interception in the Washington Football Team's 20-14 win over the Philadelphia Eagles. (Washington Football Team)

Rookies Chase Young and Kamren Curl have become vital pieces to the Washington Football Team's defense, and now they are being recognized for it by Pro Football Focus.

Young and Curl were both named to PFF's 2020 NFL All-Rookie Team, which was released following the conclusion of the regular season Sunday night. Washington is one of just two teams to have two defensive players on the list.

Young might not have started with the numbers that showed his true potential, but he has improved each game and become an all-around player. The rookie defensive end finished his first regular season leading all rookies in sacks (7.5), forced fumbles (5) and tackles for loss or no gain against the run (11). Young capped off his season with a 87.2 overall grade from PFF, which is only behind Aldon Smith, Von Miller and Nick Bosa for the highest overall grades among rookie edge defenders over the past decade. Miller and Bosa went on to earn Defensive Rookie of the Year honors; Young is widely considered to be the odds-on favorite to win the award this year.

"He is likely the most talented defensive lineman on what has emerged as one of the best defensive lines in the NFL this season. If Young does walk away with the defensive rookie of the year award, it will be well deserved," PFF's Ben Linsey.

Curl was not considered in nearly as high of a regard as Young -- he was a seventh-round pick, while Young was taken No. 2 overall -- but he has still been effective since entering the starting lineup for Landon Collins, who was placed on Injured Reserve after Week 7.

Curl has exceeded head coach Ron Rivera's expectations since training camp. He finished his debut season with a 68.0 overall grade in 763 defensive snaps, making Curl the highest graded rookie safety. After playing several positions in Washington's secondary, Curl has found himself excelling at the strong safety position with 88 tackles, two sacks, three interceptions -- one of which was returned for a touchdown -- and four pass deflections.

"His 19 run stops were more than any other rookie safety this season, as were his 16 stops in coverage," Linsey said. "The defensive line gets all the headlines in Washington, but Curl is part of a back seven that has quietly played very well for much of the season."

Another Washington rookie who missed the cut but is still deserving of recognition is running back Antonio Gibson. Gibson split time as a rusher and a receiver at Memphis, but because Rivera and the coaching staff saw his potential, the team drafted him with its third-round pick.

Not only did Gibson receive an 80.9 overall grade for the season, including an 85.3 rushing grade, but he also hit milestones and franchise records. He recorded 206 touches for 1,042 scrimmage yards and 11 touchdowns, becoming one of seven rookies in franchise history to hit the 1,000-yard mark. Meanwhile, his 795 rushing yards were sixth-most among rookies in a season.

Gibson's biggest performance came against the Dallas Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day. He rushed for 115 yards and three touchdowns, which earned him NFL Offensive Rookie of the Week honors.

36 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Young, Kurl, and Gibson headline a good draft class. If Charles can fulfill his potential... that's a heck of a class.

3 starters and potentially 4 with Charles and quality depth with Hudson and Ismael. 

This is what gives me optimism for our draft prospects even picking at 19 or lower. I do hope we retain Kyle and his team as these recent GM rumors give me some pause.

1 hour ago, SkinsFootball said:

3 starters and potentially 4 with Charles and quality depth with Hudson and Ismael. 

This is what gives me optimism for our draft prospects even picking at 19 or lower. I do hope we retain Kyle and his team as these recent GM rumors give me some pause.

Exactly what I was thinking. I’ve been pretty disappointed about that ever since stories came out that Rivera wanted an experienced GM. I don’t think he ever had a draft class that could come close to the one we had this year and it shows not only that Smith is great but also did a great job finding the types of guys JDR and Turner are looking for. Both in the draft and free agency. So why on Earth would they want someone else. Idk, like I said, was just disappointed to here it cuz I think he’s the guy and if we don’t promote him it leaves him open to be poached. I think he’s been around long enough with enough success to feel like he deserves it and we could lose him if we pass him over and I think that would be a big mistake. 

I've read a view articles stating that some of the potential candidates have more of a pro focus and wouldn't interfere with the draft and scouting process. Their job essentially would be to partner with Smith and groom him into the role.

I find that a bit much to believe but I will continue to be optimistic until proven otherwise. Weird situation to me; if drafting and young talent is the priority to build a team his strengths seem to be the most important aspect of the job.

Also via free agency.. we did seemingly well.

24 minutes ago, moondog said:

Exactly what I was thinking. I’ve been pretty disappointed about that ever since stories came out that Rivera wanted an experienced GM. I don’t think he ever had a draft class that could come close to the one we had this year and it shows not only that Smith is great but also did a great job finding the types of guys JDR and Turner are looking for. Both in the draft and free agency. So why on Earth would they want someone else. Idk, like I said, was just disappointed to here it cuz I think he’s the guy and if we don’t promote him it leaves him open to be poached. I think he’s been around long enough with enough success to feel like he deserves it and we could lose him if we pass him over and I think that would be a big mistake. 

I’m never EVER going to complain about hiring a GM because we have needed to hire a proper GM for DECADES!

55 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Can you believe we hit a grand slam with a 7th round pick?!!

Don't forget our other 7th rounder. May not have hit the same level as Curl as fast, but is getting a lot of playing time for a rookie 7th rounder

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

Young, Kurl, and Gibson headline a good draft class. If Charles can fulfill his potential... that's a heck of a class.

Hudson is starting, as a rookie 5th rounder, too

56 minutes ago, moondog said:

AND, part of what's crazy here is that our draft class looked this good without a 2nd rounder. i would absolutely not let Kyle Smith out of the door. He, Rivera, and JDR, are priceless to us. Whatever it costs, retain them. 

17 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Don't forget our other 7th rounder. May not have hit the same level as Curl as fast, but is getting a lot of playing time for a rookie 7th rounder

Hudson is starting, as a rookie 5th rounder, too

Hudson & 2021 3rd rounder for Trent Williams.  We cleaned up!  Especially considering that 3rd rounder is higher than ours ha

1 hour ago, SkinsFootball said:

I've read a view articles stating that some of the potential candidates have more of a pro focus and wouldn't interfere with the draft and scouting process. Their job essentially would be to partner with Smith and groom him into the role.

I find that a bit much to believe but I will continue to be optimistic until proven otherwise. Weird situation to me; if drafting and young talent is the priority to build a team his strengths seem to be the most important aspect of the job.

Also via free agency.. we did seemingly well.

I've heard others echo something similar on Twitter. That Rivera really likes Kyle and wants to pay to keep him around (maybe give him a new title), but that he lacks "Overall Football Ops" experience and wants him to grow into that.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I've heard others echo something similar on Twitter. That Rivera really likes Kyle and wants to pay to keep him around (maybe give him a new title), but that he lacks "Overall Football Ops" experience and wants him to grow into that.

The "Overall Football Ops" part is what gets me. Isn't that what the Head Coach centric model is for? To give Ron authority and control over the operation?

Delegating that responsibility doesn't seem as if its a big mountain to climb for Kyle.

Just not sure what part of the operation he is lacking an understanding of as I believe we have someone doing the cap and contracts who came from Carolina. The pro and college scouts report to him I believe. Who knows.. 

Regardless I just don't want to try to be to cute and lose a proven valuable resource. 

13 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

AND, part of what's crazy here is that our draft class looked this good without a 2nd rounder. i would absolutely not let Kyle Smith out of the door. He, Rivera, and JDR, are priceless to us. Whatever it costs, retain them. 

We should trade our 2nd rounder every year, we suck at picking then. :ols:

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Curl is already the best safety in the division, it blows my mind how we found him in the 7th. This is how championship defenses are built, by finding gems like this at the end of the draft. 

I like Curl but would not take him over Jabril Peppers.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

We should trade our 2nd rounder every year, we suck at picking then. :ols:

Hey, just imagine how many athletically challenged LBs we could have if we hadn't traded those two picks...

Seriously though, imagine if we had drafted Sweat at 15 instead of tweedle-dumbass. With the  2019 second rounder maybe we draft Elgton Jenkins or Metcalf. Maybe we draft Jalen Hurts or Antoine Winfield or Chase Claypool this year.

What might have been without Brucifer and Lord Farquaad

Kyle just sets the board or at least the foundation but with every pick there's probably a handful of players that offer value at that specific pick and someone has to make a business decision, I doubt Kyle is making that decision.

You can give him credit for scouting and building the board but I doubt he made the final choice on any of our picks and that's the tougher part so others deserve credit as well.

Just something to think about so everyone isn't so disappointed if we hire someone else.

On 1/5/2021 at 10:30 AM, Warhead36 said:

I like Curl but would not take him over Jabril Peppers.

He's not as athletic as Peppers but I'm taking him over Peppers. If Peppers had the season Kam had it would be considered his best season in the NFL statistically with only 11 games as the starter. PFF grades him higher, while the eye test also shows me Kam is better. 

Peppers is definitely the only other safety in the conversation though. 

Archived