Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2021

Cooked Crack

My theory on the close race is moderates are leaning more right.  Northam when he first came was dem but quite moderate.  Now he’s been really pushed as left and his actions have been scrutinized hard.  I don’t think him being as close as he was to Stoney helped either as Stoney is quite unpopular (He kept the mayor spot due to his corporate friends who drop dime in his campaign in exchange for jobs and favors. Overall Stoney is extremely disliked.).  Now obviously this isn’t Terry’s fault but clearly it’s caused moderates to reconsider their left leaning.  VA has been very blue recently so obviously there’s more going on than simply not showing up. Dems didn’t change sides in VA. So you can basically narrow it down to moderates. During Biden’s campaign you saw Biden signs in yards across neighbors with no Trump. Now only like a year removed you see a mix of Terry and Youngkin.  That speaks volumes.  A lot happened in VA in 2020 and you have to think that played a major part in this.

Re: parents know what’s best

found myself in that conversation yesterday. Simply relied with something like:

yeah. Finances. Healthcare. Education. Science. Math. The mask issue for kids that can’t be vaccinated and must go to school. Parents sure have done a good job showing us they know what’s best for their children, all the time. 

what an ignorant and arrogant statement. 

no, I’m sorry, simply being a parent does not magically fix the fact that most of you are stupid. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, tshile said:

yeah. Finances. Healthcare. Education. Science. Math. The mask issue for kids that can’t be vaccinated and must go to school. Parents sure have done a good job showing us they know what’s best for their children, all the time. 

no, I’m sorry, simply being a parent does not magically fix the fact that most of you are stupid. 

Just look at when kids had to go to virtual learning in spring of 2020.  Parents couldn’t figure out how to help with sixth grade level math.  And now they want to set the curriculum? GTFOH.

I will say it is a good strategy to attract suburban moms while hiding the fact that they want to take away their autonomy.

Edited by Ball Security
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Larry said:

And I'm pretty sure that 2020 set records for voter turnout. 

Yes, Presidential election versus Gubernatorial.  But you bring up a good point as it pertains to FFX.  

372K people voted in 2017 with Northam gettting 68.5% of non independent votes.

In 2020 Biden got 71% of the 588K non independent votes.

There were 216K more votes in 2020 than 2017.  Let’s say that half of the additional 2020 voters return in 2021 and McAuliffe gets 65% of those votes.  That ends up being 32K more for McAuliffe than Youngkin.

Northram won the state by 231,715 votes.  137,839 of those were from FFX.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wric.com/news/politics/local-election-hq/with-election-day-looming-new-poll-shows-mcauliffe-and-youngkin-tied-in-virginia-governors-race/amp/

There are some good nuggets in this article.  One is that, according to the polls, Education is the most important issue for Republican voters.  When has that ever been the case?  The Youngkin campaign strategy has been stellar in going after suburban moms with this.  

It also says that while Youngkin has been gaining on him since late summer, those gains are not coming from NoVa or the Tidewater area.  McAuliffe’s lead there has remained steady. That’s why I believe this comes down to turnout.

1 hour ago, tshile said:

I think people hear “parents know what is best” and think that “they, themselves” know what is best for their kid. That’s not the issue. The issue is do you want some other parent dictating what your kid has to learn because that parent is the most forceful about it. The answer is no. 

47 minutes ago, tshile said:

I’m not feeling good about this race. At all. The situation is ripe for a youngkin win. 

Same. 

I cant believe it took one year for people to forget how miserable the GOP is. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think people hear “parents know what is best” and think that “they, themselves” know what is best for their kid

Even then it’s super arrogant and ignorant. 

bias alone says that. 

realizing most people don’t seem to have a ****ing clue about most things, including how to learn about… anything… makes it even worse. 

they don’t know best. 

what they mean is they can’t handle someone else telling them they’re wrong. And it’s not just about their kids. It’s about anything. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

🙃

You disagree?  A few years ago Dems crushed in the VA house and then VA went significantly blue in the presidential.  You think it’s just turnout?  I don’t think so. I think people particularly moderate are not exactly thrilled with the Dems. More particularly Northam and Terry’s suffering because of it. On paper it should be a landslide yet Youngkin is right there despite all the Trumpish comments.  Honestly I think the Dem  party just gets overconfident and then realizes things may not be as lopsided as they though. I’ve gotten 3 handwritten post cards and 6 phone calls in two days alone from them about voting this week.  They didn’t even do that during the presidential. That tells me they are worried. 

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

Saw an Obama ad last night begging folks to vote for Terry with no sight of Terry or his policies.  Not sure thats going to work, like it was filmed in Martha's Vineyard or something.  @tshile is right, this race is looking worse by the day.  Dude was already governor, and I rarely see him talk about what he got right then, I dont get what he doing from a campaigning standpoint, worst campaign I've seen since Hillary.

3 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I mean how do you look at places like Texas and Florida and say, yeah, give me some of that? 

Said it once and ill say it again, by pointing to places like New York and California and saying I dont want that.  A lot of Republicans don't vote for their own policies, they are voting against democrats policies. 

30 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I think people particularly moderate are not exactly thrilled with the Dems.

This seems to get missed too often.  God knows I'm not thrilled with them.  If a new presidential election were held right now, I doubt Dems would get my vote.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Saw an Obama ad last night begging folks to vote for Terry with no sight of Terry or his policies.  Not sure thats going to work, like it was filmed in Martha's Vineyard or something.  @tshile is right, this race is looking worse by the day.  Dude was already governor, and I rarely see him talk about what he got right then, I dont get what he doing from a campaigning standpoint, worst campaign I've seen since Hillary.

I agree.  The majority of the commercials for Terry I see here are essentially "not Trump".  That is not a campaign message that inspires me.    

I can't vote in this race so I don't pay as much attention to the details as I normally would.  But I probably still pay more attention than your average voter.  If I were to vote here, I doubt I would vote for Terry.  I'd probably go third party but I'm sure a lot of moderates will either sit out or vote GOP.  Dems should be in panic mode right now.  Thankfully, I'm leaving this state in March.

• Like 1

People don’t really like Terry. They pick him over a terrible GOP candidate but they don’t really like him. 

the Biden administration is a disaster from the public perspective of getting things done. The details as to why don’t matter. Nor do any of the behind the scenes successes he’s had. We’re talking about the general voter, and the general voter is terribly uninformed. You have to focus on the basic stuff, because that’s all they look at. And the basics right now for Virginia are not good for the Dems in this race. 

It was a bad idea to go with terry. But they did. So, here we are. 

The masks in school is such a wedge issue. And it’s being used. 

I’ve yet to find a conservative that is angry about critical race theory, that can tell me what it is. 

our people are so dumb and uninformed. It’s depressing. Virginia has ranked well in major categories for a while now. Yet youngkin can run on a “Dems are destroying the state” platform and it resonates with a lot of people because people are dumb. 

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

This seems to get missed too often.  God knows I'm not thrilled with them.  If a new presidential election were held right now, I doubt Dems would get my vote.

I’m mostly the same except that I refuse to vote for a gop candidate until they prove they aren’t an incompetent stooge. 

While they continue to attach themselves to trumpism, that will be impossible. 

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

People don’t really like Terry. They pick him over a terrible GOP candidate but they don’t really like him. 

the Biden administration is a disaster from the public perspective of getting things done. The details as to why don’t matter. Nor do any of the behind the scenes successes he’s had. We’re talking about the general voter, and the general voter is terribly uninformed. You have to focus on the basic stuff, because that’s all they look at. And the basics right now for Virginia are not good for the Dems in this race. 

It was a bad idea to go with terry. But they did. So, here we are. 

The masks in school is such a wedge issue. And it’s being used. 

I’ve yet to find a conservative that is angry about critical race theory, that can tell me what it is. 

our people are so dumb and uninformed. It’s depressing. Virginia has ranked well in major categories for a while now. Yet youngkin can run on a “Dems are destroying the state” platform and it resonates with a lot of people because people are dumb. 

So right off the bat I just want to say I HATE HATE HATE all the damn commercials of “I’m not this guy.”  Cool now tell me what you do stand for. The focus should be what you are not what you aren’t.  If you want to say what your opponent is do it bud don’t make that the whole campaign. And I agree that people are ok with Terry but it’s not like he’s well loved.  Northam got over because people thought he was a moderate democrat and old soul Virginia type.  The neighbor type who would have a beer with your whole grilling some burgers. Not your typical politician

Just now, Llevron said:

You guys are making me depressed. I swear yall used to be more optimistic than this. Now you all sound like my inner monologue

I blame the WFT for our depression 

6 minutes ago, Llevron said:

You guys are making me depressed. I swear yall used to be more optimistic than this. Now you all sound like my inner monologue

My only hope is the polls are on who they prefer but a lot of republican voters will listen for Trumps request not to vote anymore in these elections.  If its this close it won't take much.

Any numbers on counties early voting?  If NOVA voted a lot early, that's a good sign from a participation standpoint.

27 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I’ve always been this cynical about people. Just walk around, tell me the people you run into appear to be smart…

The rest of you are just catching up. :) 

27 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

So right off the bat I just want to say I HATE HATE HATE all the damn commercials of “I’m not this guy.”  Cool now tell me what you do stand for. The focus should be what you are not what you aren’t.

In the era of trump and trumpism and this pathetic excuse of “conservative” all these idiots in public claim to be, I disagree. Simply not being a trumper is enough for me. 

give me an election between two non-trumpers, and I agree with you. 

youngkin and mcaullife?

one guy is a trumper that thinks unvaccinated kids shouldn’t wear masks in school. And is running on a “Virginia is being ruined” platform that’s complete and utter bull**** if you actually pay attention. He’s engaged in a war against schools - cause conservatives are so dumb they think we should be fighting culture wars in schools, and privatizing schools (which is fine by me cause I can afford private school and most of the conservatives here cant, so jokes on them. Idiots)

somehow I’m not really confused as to whom you’re voting for. And I don’t really think anything you’ve said matters or would change your vote 😂 

Edited by tshile
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

My only hope is the polls are on who they prefer but a lot of republican voters will listen for Trumps request not to vote anymore in these elections.  If its this close it won't take much.

Any numbers on counties early voting?  If NOVA voted a lot early, that's a good sign from a participation standpoint.

Ask and receive.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-27/democrats-bank-on-high-early-vote-to-win-virginia-governor-race?srnd=politics-vp&sref=nXmOg68r

• Thanks 1

“I know what’s best for my child! And that would be to not wear a mask, during a respiratory virus pandemic, while not vaccinated, while forced to sit in a classroom around 20ish other unvaccinated, maskless children”

- signed

conservatives that think they’re smart and know things. 

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

31 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm hoping that's the case too honestly. But as dumb as I think some of these people are, I don't know that they are that dumb. We will see. 

31 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

So this write up from the Washingtonian sounds good. But with the way Republicans have been basically wiping their voters, its hard to feel comfortable about it. Especially in Louden where I know I have had many parents ask me about CRT.....so that means they are hearing about it. Which only benefits the Repubs. They are masterful at this evil ****, honestly. I only imagine what we could accomplish if they used these idiots for good and not evil but thats another story. 

Edit: The Link https://www.washingtonian.com/2021/10/26/early-voting-turnout-is-soaring-in-virginia-governors-race/

The Virginia Public Access Project keeps data on the number of people voting by mail and in-person, which can also be broken down by congressional district. VPAP reported as of Tuesday, October 25, nearly 725,000 people have voted early, compared with only 195,634 total in 2017. Opinion polls show the hotly contested gubernatorial election is essentially tied.

District 10, which includes Loudoun County, has the highest turnout with about 102,000 residents voting early. Districts 7, 8, and 1 follow, each with more than 90,000 people turning out to cast their ballots ahead of next week’s election. District 9 has the lowest turnout so far with 50,000 early ballots counted.

41 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I blame the WFT for our depression 

Dont make me remember them 😔😔

Edited by Llevron

18 minutes ago, tshile said:

I’ve always been this cynical about people. Just walk around, tell me the people you run into appear to be smart…

The rest of you are just catching up. :) 

😄 you aint lied these last few years your lead has narrowed substantially lol

• Haha 1