Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2021

Cooked Crack

Trump-backed candidate loses in Texas special election

Voters in North Texas delivered an upset Tuesday, picking GOP state Rep. Jake Ellzey to fill a vacant House seat over a candidate endorsed by former President Donald Trump.

Ellzey beat fellow Republican Susan Wright, the widow of former Rep. Ron Wright, 53 percent to 47 percent, when the Associated Press called the low-turnout, Republican-vs.-Republican runoff. Though Ellzey was better funded, Wright leaned heavily on her backing from the former president, who often plays kingmaker in Republican primaries.

Trump crashed into the race during the first round of voting in May, tapping Wright out of a crowded all-party primary and turning the contest into an early test of his post-presidency clout. He held two tele-town halls for her and taped a robocall for her, making the loss more painful.

Click on the link for the full article

You know, a big part of the reason why the lunatic Trumpers have seized control of the party, is because of the party's unanimous policy of rigging elections into Republican-only contests.  

I suspect that lunatic Trumper candidates are a lot less tolerable, if there's a chance they lose the general.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Nina Turner lost, another clear sign the country isn't as far to the left as some wish. Not even close.

Idk if Turner lost because of her politics. Most of the attack ads against her were basically clips of her trashing the Democratic Party and it’s leadership.

I bet if she wasn’t a toxic personality, she probably wins this easily. It’s not hard for progressive Dems to get elected in districts like hers.

8 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Idk if Turner lost because of her politics. Most of the attack ads against her were basically clips of her trashing the Democratic Party and it’s leadership.

I bet if she wasn’t a toxic personality, she probably wins this easily. It’s not hard for progressive Dems to get elected in districts like hers.

Thought I read somewhere Hillary beat Bernie there 2-1 during their primary against each other.  Not sure how Bernie did against Biden, if A is true, it can't be that much better. 

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

“Her” politics for sure but you don’t see AOC, Ilhan etc spewing that kind of toxicity. Although it’s not a good look that they all campaigned for her.

Oh, i see what you mean.  Yes, I agree, Turner has electable policy positions in far left areas.  

Could you imagine if federal election campaigns in this country were only 36 days long?  It would be glorious.  Reduce the amount of money wasted on elections and campaigning.  Force politicians to actually work rather than campaign all the time.  Oh well, it's a nice dream.

Canadians can expect a federal election on Sept. 20: sources

Voters can expect to head to the polls for a federal election on Sept. 20.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is planning to visit Rideau Hall on Sunday to ask that Parliament be dissolved, said sources with knowledge of his plans who spoke to CBC News on the condition they not be named.

The sources said the prime minister is then expected to announce a 36-day campaign — the minimum campaign length permitted by law — meaning voting day would be Monday, Sept. 20.

News of the pending election call has been reported already by Reuters and La Presse.

Dissolution of Parliament is not automatic and Gov. Gen. Mary Simon could say no — although that would be a rare move out of line with parliamentary tradition.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/virginia-governor-mask-vaccine-mandates/2021/08/12/05eb7d70-fad4-11eb-9c0e-97e29906a970_story.html

Candidates for Virginia governor take opposite positions on mask and vaccine mandates

The dreaded comeback of the coronavirus has convinced both major candidates for Virginia governor that victory this fall hinges on one simple but vexing question about masks and vaccinations:

To mandate, or not to mandate?

Democrat Terry McAuliffe favors requiring masks and shots in certain cases as a science-based path out of a public health and economic crisis. Republican Glenn Youngkin opposes any mandates as a matter of individual liberty and parental rights.

As the delta variant has recently powered Virginia’s seven-day average number of new cases to levels not seen since February, according to The Post’s tracker, both candidates have moved those issues to the front of their campaigns — and with good reason, said University of Mary Washington political scientist Stephen Farnsworth.

McAuliffe agrees with Northam (D) that state law requires schools to follow guidance from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which calls for students and staff to wear masks inside school buildings, regardless of vaccination status. On Thursday Northam officially made it a mandate.

Youngkin, meanwhile, has pushed back against any effort to require students to wear masks at schools, saying that decision should be left up to parents. When asked in a radio interview earlier this month if he would follow the lead of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) and forbid local school boards officials from requiring masks, he said he would, proclaiming that “there should be no mask mandates in Virginia.”

However, a Youngkin spokesman on Thursday said he would not go quite as far as DeSantis, claiming that as governor, Youngkin would leave the policy decision about masks up to local school districts and “strongly encourage” them to let individual parents decide.

The campaign also said Northam’s new mandate for masks in schools shows “Richmond liberals … will stop at nothing to impose their will and take away parents’ ability to decide what’s best for our kids.”

Hey dick, what I've decided is best for MY KIDS is that everyone else's kid abide by the CDC guidelines, not bull**** Republican bleating about "freedom."

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/virginia-governor-mask-vaccine-mandates/2021/08/12/05eb7d70-fad4-11eb-9c0e-97e29906a970_story.html

Candidates for Virginia governor take opposite positions on mask and vaccine mandates

Hey dick, what I've decided is best for MY KIDS is that everyone else's kid abide by the CDC guidelines, not bull**** Republican bleating about "freedom."

Not going to lie, this election has me concerned.  Not sure how the turnout will look.

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

If people come out, I agree.  These off cycle elections are tricky.  

Yep, that is my main concern too.  I'm not saying I'm not worried, Glenn Youngkin has the major advantages of a ton of money and not having a record to defend, but he's also not a great natural politician and keeps veering further and further right.  

13 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yep, that is my main concern too.  I'm not saying I'm not worried, Glenn Youngkin has the major advantages of a ton of money and not having a record to defend, but he's also not a great natural politician and keeps veering further and further right.  

I think what would be helpful is someone digging up some footage of him getting dunked on at Rice.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apathetic voters could hand California recall to Republicans: ‘Folks seem unaware’

When Gavin Newsom was first elected governor of California in 2018, he captured a greater share of the vote than any other Democrat in state history. And he has remained broadly popular, despite a global pandemic, economic catastrophe, and a scandalously ill-timed visit to the Michelin-starred restaurant the French Laundry.

But with California’s gubernatorial recall election under way, Newsom is fighting for his political life. The Democratic governor of a deep blue state could narrowly lose his seat to a fringe rightwing radio host – in large part due to inertia and apathy among voters.

Democrats outnumber Republicans nearly two to one in California – but while the former are distracted and disengaged this year, the latter are riled up, political strategists and pollsters say. By voting at higher rates, Republicans could capture the governor’s seat for the first time in a decade.

Only 36% of all registered voters want to oust Newsom, but that number rises to 47% when polling likely voters, according to a poll by the UC Berkeley Institute of Governmental Studies. And a recent CBS News poll found that 72% of Republican voters were “very motivated” to participate in the recall, while just 61% of Democrats felt the same.

Elder shakes up recall campaign team

Amid increasing scrutiny over his treatment of women and calls for his withdrawal from the race, California Republican gubernatorial candidate Larry Elder is shaking up his campaign team and hired a new campaign manager, POLITICO has learned.

Campaign manager Louis Barnett, whose appointment was announced when Elder entered the gubernatorial race in July, confirmed Sunday he no longer holds that position.

In his place, Elder has hired Jeffrey Corless, a GOP consultant who once served as political director to U.S. Senate candidate Carly Fiorina. Corless confirmed to POLITICO he had taken on the role as of Friday.

CNN last week reported Elder’s history of crude remarks on women, and The San Francisco Chronicle reported Elder once said it was “smart” for women to tolerate sexism and offensive workplace behavior. The stories have prompted former San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer and reality TV star Caitlyn Jenner, both gubernatorial candidates, to call for his withdrawal from the race.

Wife and I cast our no ballots.

I actually chose a GOPer (Faulconer) for question 2 (really the only candidate of the 47 on the ballot who would be a halfway decent Governor should Newsom get boned with these GOP shananigans). 

God help us if the recall happens. The only reprieve is that the Democrat supermajority in the CA Legislature makes a GOP Governor mostly powerless. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Wife and I cast our no ballots.

I actually chose a GOPer (Faulconer) for question 2 (really the only candidate of the 47 on the ballot who would be a halfway decent Governor should Newsom get boned with these GOP shananigans). 

God help us if the recall happens. The only reprieve is that the Democrat supermajority in the CA Legislature makes a GOP Governor mostly powerless. 

Newsome is toast.  The GOP are motivated to get him out, even if it's only for a year.  A Dem would win next year's election and be back in Jan. 23.  Dems aren't motivated to vote for him.

The nightmare is Elder or some other GOPer wins.  Feinstein dies shortly after the recall election and is replaced with a Republican.  Mitch is back in control. The human infrastructure deal is DOA in the Senate.  the bipartisan deal also goes down in flames.  Supreme Court Breyer dies. Mitch refuses to replace him and the gOP keeps control after 22.  

• Haha 1