Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2021

Cooked Crack

Glenn Younkin:  "I'm a businessman, not a politician.  I'm a businessman, not a politician.  I'm a businessman, not a politician.  I'm a businessman, not a politician.  I'm a businessman, not a politician.  I'm a businessman, not a politician."

Also Glenn Younkin:  Immediately goes on FoxNews to complain about culture war stuff.

What a douchebag. 

• 3 weeks later...

As the party’s new nominee, Youngkin had branded himself as a likable, reasonable, nonthreatening alternative to partisan gridlock and the tired status quo. His feel-good early television ads made no mention of the GOP, much less Trump. In one ad, he bemoans today’s bitter tribalism, asking, “Does anyone really care what political party we belong to?”

The problem with rookies, however, is they make rookie mistakes.

Youngkin’s error is a very big one. It came during a June rally in a crowd he assumed to be friendly forces only. There, two people who appeared to be antiabortion die-hards pressed him on when he would challenge abortion rights in Virginia.

Retail Politics Rule No. 1: Never lower your guard around people you don’t personally know and trust. Those two adoring pro-lifers turned out to be liberal activists who were secretly recording the entire encounter, and Youngkin took the bait.

“The short answer is in this campaign, I can’t,” Youngkin confides to them in the video. “When I’m governor and I have a majority in the House, we can start going on offense. But as a campaign topic, sadly, that, in fact, won’t win me independent votes that I have to get.”

McAuliffe could barely believe his luck. Not only had Youngkin given him a gift that could keep on giving into November by betraying Youngkin’s hidden intentions on the most contentious of issues, but the GOP nominee also named the group of voters he seeks to beguile.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/07/19/glenn-youngkins-rookie-mistake/

• Haha 1