Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

4 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

From what I read:

- Terry couldn't get open because, like in the NO, he was blanketed, even though that's always gonna be the case with a QB that underthrows him.

- Receivers missed a ton of easy throws.

- No one was able to beat their man even though that was absolutely not the case

Next Gen Stats: Trevon Diggs shadowed Terry McLaurin, lining up across from him on 17 of his 18 pass routes. Diggs did not allow McLaurin a reception on two targets.

• Like 1

When you have a QB that can't make tight throws against man coverage, every WR is going to look blanketed.  There were clearly times during the game McLaurin was open on Diggs but the throws never went that way.  Just look around the NFL at the standard of what "open" means and look at the kinds of throws that are made to those WRs.  I am not talking about jump balls that are contested.  I am talking about WRs that barely need anything more than a step on the DB and a ball is being thrown and delivered over the top into their chest.  If Henicke was capable of those kinds of throws, putting the ball on that zip line, no one would be saying McLaurin was blanketed.  Diggs is a ball hawk, takes advantage of opportunities but he isn't a shut down corner. His own stats show this as he has given up the most pass yards as a contrast to his high amount of picks. 

Example: The throw late in the game from from Kyle Allen to Carter?  Not a throw Henicke typically makes.  If we had a starting QB with the arm and confidence to make those kinds of throws?  McLaurin is likely doubling his stats.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

When you have a QB that can't make tight throws against man coverage, every WR is going to look blanketed.  There were clearly times during the game McLaurin was open on Diggs but the throws never went that way.  Just look around the NFL at the standard of what "open" means and look at the kinds of throws that are made to those WRs.  I am not talking about jump balls that are contested.  I am talking about WRs that barely need anything more than a step on the DB and a ball is being thrown and delivered over the top into their chest.  If Henicke was capable of those kinds of throws, putting the ball on that zip line, no one would be saying McLaurin was blanketed.  Diggs is a ball hawk, takes advantage of opportunities but he isn't a shut down corner. His own stats show this as he has given up the most pass yards as a contrast to his high amount of picks. 

What about the pass rush. If the QB doesn't have time is the WR still open?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zskins said:

What about the pass rush. If the QB doesn't have time is the WR still open?

Yes that is definitely part of the equation too. I am not saying everything is on Henicke, just fighting back on the narrative that McLaurin was blanketed by Diggs all day which is why he had no catches.

Just because someone says that TH isn't a bad QB doesn't mean he's a future HOF QB. 

They started out the season with Fitzpatrick, who got hurt immediately. Going from Mr. "Its all about me" Deeeeeewayne Haskins to Allen to Fitz then to TH or whoever the QB was then, it wasn't exactly a match made in heaven.

The kid was called off of his couch to start a playoff game against Tampa, and he played his best. Lost the game but everyone was like 'who is this guy'?  

They still aren't sold on him so they get Fitz, who gets hurt almost immediately. Once again he's called in and asked to be the guy. 

Sorry that he hasn't lived up to another Brady or Rodgers, but with he's got at his disposal, McLaurin and Thomas, and basically thats it. Sims hasn't progressed enough, and the others are jags, they have a RB who is allergetic to holding onto the ball, patchwork o-line, and questionable at best play calling. 

Is that enough excuses? Am I trying to say they are excuses? No, not really. 

He had a crappy game, as 99.999% of QBs who have ever played the game have. Yes, by all means, he didn't look like the TH we've seen the last month. I've seen some of his passes and shook my head in disbelief, but so does most every other QB in the league.  

A few years ago there was this QB named Kirk Cousins, who filled in for a QB who had no idea how to slide, and won the game. Everyone said who is this guy? 

He went on to become the starter, and everyone was gung-ho about him. Then something strange happened; people started to discover that he could not throw a fade to save his life, and boy did some hop on that hang-up like it was gold.  Then the questions rose about his skillset, the play calling, and because he wasn't Brady or Rodgers he became a middle of the pack QB at best. 

When you look back at Brady and Rodgers, yes they have big arms, but they also have multiple weapons who are threats to score on almost any play, at the very least gain huge chunks of yardage. They also can audible out of any play they feel they need to. But put either of those QBs behind center of the WFT, and ask yourself; can he do the same with the offense here?

If you answer yes, then you are lying to yourself. Even with a big arm, McLaurin is the only WR who could possibly be dependable enough to send on those routes, and said QB could get away with it for a few games, but eventually defenses will catch on and shut that down; then what?

I'm not apologizing for TH, like I said he had a crappy game. He will learn from it and hopefully Turner will make corrections/call different plays to prevent this from happening again. I'm not saying TH is the answer, but his ceiling is about the same as most every other offensive weapon outside of McLaurin, but who knows what he could be capable of with better weapons...

Sorry about droning on, just had to get it out.

SIC

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Yes that is definitely part of the equation too. I am not saying everything is on Henicke, just fighting back on the narrative that McLaurin was blanketed by Diggs all day which is why he had no catches.

I posted the stats I saw on NFL.com. Wasn't implying anything just posting what I saw. So the experts here can make what they want to or add to their conversation. Nothing more. 

1 hour ago, skins island connection said:

Just because someone says that TH isn't a bad QB doesn't mean he's a future HOF QB. 

They started out the season with Fitzpatrick, who got hurt immediately. Going from Mr. "Its all about me" Deeeeeewayne Haskins to Allen to Fitz then to TH or whoever the QB was then, it wasn't exactly a match made in heaven.

The kid was called off of his couch to start a playoff game against Tampa, and he played his best. Lost the game but everyone was like 'who is this guy'?  

They still aren't sold on him so they get Fitz, who gets hurt almost immediately. Once again he's called in and asked to be the guy. 

Sorry that he hasn't lived up to another Brady or Rodgers, but with he's got at his disposal, McLaurin and Thomas, and basically thats it. Sims hasn't progressed enough, and the others are jags, they have a RB who is allergetic to holding onto the ball, patchwork o-line, and questionable at best play calling. 

Is that enough excuses? Am I trying to say they are excuses? No, not really. 

He had a crappy game, as 99.999% of QBs who have ever played the game have. Yes, by all means, he didn't look like the TH we've seen the last month. I've seen some of his passes and shook my head in disbelief, but so does most every other QB in the league.  

A few years ago there was this QB named Kirk Cousins, who filled in for a QB who had no idea how to slide, and won the game. Everyone said who is this guy? 

He went on to become the starter, and everyone was gung-ho about him. Then something strange happened; people started to discover that he could not throw a fade to save his life, and boy did some hop on that hang-up like it was gold.  Then the questions rose about his skillset, the play calling, and because he wasn't Brady or Rodgers he became a middle of the pack QB at best. 

When you look back at Brady and Rodgers, yes they have big arms, but they also have multiple weapons who are threats to score on almost any play, at the very least gain huge chunks of yardage. They also can audible out of any play they feel they need to. But put either of those QBs behind center of the WFT, and ask yourself; can he do the same with the offense here?

If you answer yes, then you are lying to yourself. Even with a big arm, McLaurin is the only WR who could possibly be dependable enough to send on those routes, and said QB could get away with it for a few games, but eventually defenses will catch on and shut that down; then what?

I'm not apologizing for TH, like I said he had a crappy game. He will learn from it and hopefully Turner will make corrections/call different plays to prevent this from happening again. I'm not saying TH is the answer, but his ceiling is about the same as most every other offensive weapon outside of McLaurin, but who knows what he could be capable of with better weapons...

Sorry about droning on, just had to get it out.

SIC

I mean wasn’t the biggest gripe in GB is that Rodgers continually has zero weapons but makes the ones he has look like stars? Tonyan? Lazard? Scantling-Valdez? It was kind of the same for many years for Brady in NE, especially when Gronk was hurt. He had the likes of Brandon Lefell and Amendola yet still made the guys looks like legit stars. To many these guys only look like stars because the QB made them look like stars.

Heinicke's game on Sunday reminded me of a Patrick Ramsey (or David Carr) game when they were constantly under pressure so they started rushing their reads, and imagining pressures (or as Darnold called it "seeing ghosts") and thus it really hurt his performance. The thing I'm questioning right now is how he responds. Do the eagles have a line like Dallas? Will our OL respond? If Heinicke has time I think he can respond well but this is a question for his development. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I mean wasn’t the biggest gripe in GB is that Rodgers continually has zero weapons but makes the ones he has look like stars? Tonyan? Lazard? Scantling-Valdez? It was kind of the same for many years for Brady in NE, especially when Gronk was hurt. He had the likes of Brandon Lefell and Amendola yet still made the guys looks like legit stars. To many these guys only look like stars because the QB made them look like stars.

That's true, and honestly you can say that Heinicke made players out of Carter, RSJ, Sims and Bates. Heck even Miline has looked good with Heinicke. But Rodgers has had bad games, as has Brady. Look at how bad Russel Wilson looked against us. Lawrence had 4 ints last week. Tannehill had 4 two weeks ago. Josh Allen has had two 4 int games including one two weeks ago. Qbs have bad games for a number of reasons. it doesn't mean they aren't the guy and we shouldn't make that conclusion about Heinicke either. Is he the guy long term? maybe not. But he is still growing at the position and couldn't escape Dallas's pass rush to make plays like he did against Las Vegas and other teams. 

• Like 1

Having had a couple of days to stew on the game Sunday Iv really come down to two trails of thought regards Heinicke

The first one is short term, imo the reason he’s accumulated so much support is that he’s the antidote to Alex Smith, Dwayne Haskins etc, he’s got a great attitude, he’s willing to put his body on the line for the franchise and he shows a personality that’s relatable for fans. That’s why he should be our QB for the rest of the season he's earned it

The second trail of thought is more long term and I’m talking the end of this season and beyond, he’s just not the answer from a talent standpoint, he doesn’t have the arm, he does hold the ball too long, he’s been extremely lucky on several occasions with dropped interceptions, his pass completion % over the 4 games prior to Dallas looks great but in reality not many shots taken and as much as it can be popular to criticise him Scott Turner has really done a brilliant job of covering Taylor’s shortcomings.

Ron has a huge decision to make at the end of this season and imo the only way we move up from finishing around 500 every year is to get really aggressive for a QB this off season coming, draft looks bereft of talent so FA it’ll have to be, if not the franchise stays irrelevant again for at least another year

• Like 3

If I had to guess I would predict that the current preferred game plan by Rivera and the front office is that Taylor Heinicke is the 2022 starter. I think he's earned it and it will be good for morale. At the same time, I think they hope to get the highest potential coachable QB prospect they can nab in the second or third round to train up and become the 2023 starter.

• Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, Burgold said:

If I had to guess I would predict that the current preferred game plan by Rivera and the front office is that Taylor Heinicke is the 2022 starter. I think he's earned it and it will be good for morale. At the same time, I think they hope to get the highest potential coachable QB prospect they can nab in the second or third round to train up and become the 2023 starter.

I believe Heinicke's play based on the entire current season will determine his fate for the upcoming one. I think it's highly probable he will play himself exactly into whatever spot that is - whether it be the 2022 potential starter or the backup

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DEASkins said:

I believe Heinicke's play based on the entire current season will determine his fate for the upcoming one. I think it's highly probable he will play himself exactly into whatever spot that is - whether it be the 2022 potential starter or the backup

I can see that, but I think it has to be qualified by things outside Washington's control. The team is really suffering with injuries. Can a QB succeed playing behind a decimated o line? When will McKissic return? Can Ricky Seals Jones and Bates pick up the slack? Is it possible for Curtis Samuel to develop any chemistry?

Heinike was pretty bad last week, but he also suffered about six drops. The injuries, rotating cast, etc. make it harder and harder to judge him. That said, I think John Matsko deserves a raise for cobbling together an oline that never had any continuity.

29 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I can see that, but I think it has to be qualified by things outside Washington's control. The team is really suffering with injuries. Can a QB succeed playing behind a decimated o line? When will McKissic return? Can Ricky Seals Jones and Bates pick up the slack? Is it possible for Curtis Samuel to develop any chemistry?

Heinike was pretty bad last week, but he also suffered about six drops. The injuries, rotating cast, etc. make it harder and harder to judge him. That said, I think John Matsko deserves a raise for cobbling together an oline that never had any continuity.

It would be difficult to argue against Matsko receiving a pay raise. He's a keeper.

Concerning Heinicke, I don't think Ron has the time luxury going into his 3rd season next year to quantify how Taylor has performed based on the 10 other players around him. I believe Taylor has to play himself into the starting role based on his performance regardless of his supporting cast. I don't think time pressure will cause Rivera to make a drastic decision like the Haskins gamble, but I can see Ron and Company either giving up legit draft capital for an obvious upgrade or potentially trading up for an elite prospect. 

I just don't see at this point how he can continue to be overly conservative chasing a franchise QB and/or also give Heinicke more time to develop after this season unless he plays himself into that role now

2 hours ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Having had a couple of days to stew on the game Sunday Iv really come down to two trails of thought regards Heinicke

The first one is short term, imo the reason he’s accumulated so much support is that he’s the antidote to Alex Smith, Dwayne Haskins etc, he’s got a great attitude, he’s willing to put his body on the line for the franchise and he shows a personality that’s relatable for fans. That’s why he should be our QB for the rest of the season he's earned it

The second trail of thought is more long term and I’m talking the end of this season and beyond, he’s just not the answer from a talent standpoint, he doesn’t have the arm, he does hold the ball too long, he’s been extremely lucky on several occasions with dropped interceptions, his pass completion % over the 4 games prior to Dallas looks great but in reality not many shots taken and as much as it can be popular to criticise him Scott Turner has really done a brilliant job of covering Taylor’s shortcomings.

Ron has a huge decision to make at the end of this season and imo the only way we move up from finishing around 500 every year is to get really aggressive for a QB this off season coming, draft looks bereft of talent so FA it’ll have to be, if not the franchise stays irrelevant again for at least another year

I just want to highlight this post.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

How is the receiver that bailed TH out on multiple occasions and routinely makes high degree of difficulty under scrutiny now? If it weren't for McLaurin we're having a different conversation in this thread 

It was the same thing after one of the losses pre-bye (don't remember the exact game). Terry had 1 bad drop on a 3rd down pass (and this is after also bailing Heinicke out on a couple of passes) and some in the Hive were droning on about Terry dropping the pass and how it was a huge momentum killer and he caused the problems that game.

But then when confronted they say "Oh, well...of course I wasn't saying McLauren was the biggest problem, or that he's no good. Just saying..."

Same stuff happening in this thread now. Harp on every aspect of the game other than Heinicke, then they say "Oh, well of course I'm not trying to make excuses for Heinicke or anything...", despite the fact that they literally spent an entire post blaming everything except TH and making excuses for him.

Edited by mistertim
  • Thumb up 1

14 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It’s not going over my head, I just think you see what you want to see because you are heavily invested in Heineke.  Every bad game you regularly make it about everyone else and what we don’t have. There’s plenty of tape out there on the internet, put together by people that actually earn a living analyzing football.  Rarely is the dialogue about how nobody is getting open and how we desperately need more weapons.  I only get that from you and the few others who are way in the tank for dude.

You're not being objective because I have been honest about TH's shortcomings.  You're seeing what you want to see at this point.  Because being right is more important to you than trying to figure out how the problems can be corrected next week.  Your answer, like Snyder, is just pull the QB.  Bench him!  If you go to Allen, and he wets the bed, now what?  You haven't thought this thru.    

14 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The guys we do have are getting open every week.  I’m well aware that doesn’t mean the progressions lead the QB there all the time or that the protection doesn’t break down or insert any other variable here.  But to pretend that our offensive woes are solely about having sorry weapons is disingenuous.

Not picking on you about this but as a coach I can't help but laugh at people who point out a guy that was wide open after the play.  I don't care who is breaking down film.  Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, or Joe Gibbs himself.  The ONLY person who can give you a good analysis is the OC.  Scott Turner in this case.  Only he can tell you the order of progressions.  Who was #1, #2, #3, etc.  

I know there have been times too where I've caused my QB more problems by not allowing them to stay true to the progressions that were practiced and planned.  There have been several times where I've run some concept.  Such as a slant flat.  I may see both the DB and the LB take the slant leaving the flat receiver open.  I've told the QB, "hey, look for the flat on this concept when we running it again.  It was wide open."  So the QB does that and this time the DB, having been coached up that he blew it before, stays home and then we end up with an interception.  Is that my QB's fault or my fault?  It's my fault!  I put the thought in his head.  So, later on, I stopped doing that and just told the QB to read it out.  This happens at the pro level too.  A receiver comes back to the QB telling him that he was wide open on a concept.  Then, that gets the QB in trouble.  

You'll know if the QB is not following the progressions or the advice of his OC when he gets pulled.  When the QB can no longer be trusted to read the defense and the progressions correctly then he has to be pulled.  That hasn't happened yet so saying that receivers are open means absolutely nothing.  None of us know for sure if TH played well or not because we don't know the gameplan.  All we can do is judge by how well the offense functions.  TH gives the WFT the best chance to compete for the 2021 season.  Fitz is on IR.  Allen hasn't proven that he can be the leader that this version of the WFT offense needs to succeed.  It is what it is.  No sense in constantly slamming TH for not being the pro bowler that no one says he is.  He's maximized what he has and the team is still in the playoff hunt.  I'll take that in December. 

Edited by ThomasRoane
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

You're not being objective because I have been honest about TH's shortcomings.  You're seeing what you want to see at this point.  Because being right is more important to you than trying to figure out how the problems can be corrected next week.  Your answer, like Snyder, is just pull the QB.  Bench him!  If you go to Allen, and he wets the bed, now what?  You haven't thought this thru.    

Not picking on you about this but as a coach I can't help but laugh at people who point out a guy that was wide open after the play.  I don't care who is breaking down film.  Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, or Joe Gibbs himself.  The ONLY person who can give you a good analysis is the OC.  Scott Turner in this case.  Only he can tell you the order of progressions.  Who was #1, #2, #3, etc.  

I know there have been times too where I've caused my QB more problems by not allowing them to stay true to the progressions that were practiced and planned.  There have been several times where I've run some concept.  Such as a slant flat.  I may see both the DB and the LB take the slant leaving the flat receiver open.  I've told the QB, "hey, look for the flat on this concept when we running it again.  It was wide open."  So the QB does that and this time the DB, having been coached up that he blew it before, stays home and then we end up with an interception.  Is that my QB's fault or my fault?  It's my fault!  I put the thought in his head.  So, later on, I stopped doing that and just told the QB to read it out.  This happens at the pro level too.  A receiver comes back to the QB telling him that he was wide open on a concept.  Then, that gets the QB in trouble.  

You'll know if the QB is not following the progressions or the advice of his OC when he gets pulled.  When the QB can no longer be trusted to read the defense and the progressions correctly then he has to be pulled.  That hasn't happened yet so saying that receivers are open means absolutely nothing.  None of us know for sure if TH played well or not because we don't know the gameplan.  All we can do is judge by how well the offense functions.  TH gives the WFT the best chance to compete for the 2021 season.  Fitz is on IR.  Allen hasn't proven that he can be the leader that this version of the WFT offense needs to succeed.  It is what it is.  No sense in constantly slamming TH for not being the pro bowler that no one says he is.  He's maximized what he has and the team is still in the playoff hunt.  I'll take that in December. 

You’re not the only person to have coached in here and that’s some impressive Simone Biles level mental gymnastics. I (let alone posters who have much more experience coaching and evaluating than me) could watch the all-22 and the route concepts and know if any open receivers were missed. Also you instruct QBs to make read X if the defense is doing Y, not make this read no matter what. Just curious though if you say only the OC knows if open receivers were missed, how do you know they weren’t? 

Tough being a QB that lacks physical talent, when a bad game takes place it’s an easy target for us fans. The Dallas defense had a much better plan and captured momentum and confidence early. Their aggression swallowed up whatever plan Washington had. 

Heineke was unable to establish rhythm or capture momentum at any point in the game. In most games this year he’s been able to provide that for the offense. His worst game easily as a starter. 

These are the kind of moments intangibles matter a whole lot more than ability, he’s shown in past he’ll respond well to this adversity. Run Heineke more. Playoffs on the line! 

• Like 1

Reminder we signed Taylor off the street for nothing.

If we had a better option, said QB would be starting. 

IMO, the criticism is way off balance. No one is going to say Heinicke had a good game but some of those plays... there are plays where 3-4 linemen are on the ground and there are 3-4 defenders in Taylor's face. There are plays where our C is pushed straight backwards into the QB on ice skates. 

And plenty of plays where Heinicke missed the throw, missed the open WR or held onto the ball too long. (and he couldn't finish the game)

Now where the criticism is off-balance is listing Heinicke's obvious limitations but not acknowledging his play-making ability. Spinning out of pressure for the long TD and the 2pt were nice. 

But with these divisional games coming up, we'll see some Kyle Allen and he looks healthy. Heinicke is going to be banged up 

*sorry on phone and can't use it

Edited by Mooka
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

You’re not the only person to have coached in here and that’s some impressive Simone Biles level mental gymnastics. I (let alone posters who have much more experience coaching and evaluating than me) could watch the all-22 and the route concepts and know if any open receivers were missed. Also you instruct QBs to make read X if the defense is doing Y, not make this read no matter what. Just curious though if you say only the OC knows if open receivers were missed, how do you know they weren’t? 

Because there is more nuance to gameplanning than just running concepts.  At the high school level - Phoebus High School (State champs again) - we broke down everything.  We didn't just blindly run our passing concepts thinking they're always going to work.  That would be next level stupid.  The kind of stuff you can get away with in little league.  When you go up levels, you have to do your homework.  Look at the personnel.  Who can play and who can't?   Do I have a match up against a bad defender?  What kind of defense?  Zone? Man? Hybrid?  What are the tendencies of certain dbs?  Is he handsy?  Over aggressive?  Conservative?  etc.

I remember a pass rusher in the NFL who came to speak once from Hampton Highschool.  (Robert Banks I think - also played at Notre Dame)  He said they destroyed Houston once because the D line knew that if Moon's feet were parallel it was a run.  If he had his right foot back it was a pass.  In the pros, they look for every possible advantage.  

So, I don't know if a receiver was missed.  And neither do you.  

Edited by ThomasRoane

4 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Reminder we signed Taylor off the street for nothing.

If we had a better option, said QB would be starting. 

IMO, the criticism is way off balance. No one is going to say Heinicke had a good game but some of those plays... there are plays where 3-4 linemen are on the ground and there are 3-4 defenders in Taylor's face. There are plays where our C is pushed straight backwards into the QB on ice skates. 

And plenty of plays where Heinicke missed the throw, missed the open WR or held onto the ball too long. (and he couldn't finish the game)

Now where the criticism is off-balance is listing Heinicke's obvious limitations but not acknowledging his play-making ability. Spinning out of orsssyre

Well...we did have a better option. Unfortunately he got injured during the first game of the season. The other QB we have was still coming back from a really bad injury.

As far as being more balanced on Heinicke...are we talking about the game on Sunday or in general?

In general I acknowledge both his shortcomings as well as his ability to make some off schedule plays and his "clutch" factor.

If we're talking about the game on Sunday specifically, there really wasn't much of Good Heinicke to talk about. As you noted, even when he had plenty of time he was inaccurate and making some really bad decisions.

• Like 1