Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Heinike is surviving out there.  His mental game is strong.  I do sort of wonder if his lack of arm is why this offense struggles in the red zone?  Maybe they are reluctant to call certain routes or plays where the ball needs to be thrown into tight spaces?  Taylor is pretty solid against zone coverage, finding the soft areas to deliver the ball too, but those types of plays go away once you get inside the opponents 30ish yard line, suddenly you are often throwing passes that could end up contested, broken up, or picked if you don't zip it in there.   

I won't put it on entirely on him as I am sure the rest of offense needs to improve in that area too.

I think it's a lack of big targets.  The field is really condensed when you're in the redzone.  For pass plays, advantage goes to the defense.  Unless you have someone to throw 50/50 balls to like Thomas.  It was great to have him while it lasted.  Sucks that this team can never seem to find that unicorn receiver.  The big guy that can make catches in the end zone and stay healthy!

• Like 2

If you could put Dewey Haskins arm on Heinicke you'd have an MVP QB.

It just sucks because there are certain routes we just can not run consistently because Heinicke can't deliver the ball with enough velocity to beat the defender.

But his accuracy on other routes is just tremendous.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If you could put Dewey Haskins arm on Heinicke you'd have an MVP QB.

It just sucks because there are certain routes we just can not run consistently because Heinicke can't deliver the ball with enough velocity to beat the defender.

But his accuracy on other routes is just tremendous.

If he would just stop throwing off his back foot so much, his arm would look better.

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

For me, I think we saw a bit of “bad TH” rear it’s head - throwing some high balls, throwing into traffic, not setting his feet and therefore getting the ball to his targets a bit late/inaccurately.  But… he was (for the most part) quite sharp until he had been hit multiple times, he had a number of clutch plays, had a GW drive, and we won even with some of that ‘regression’.  Did it facing a good bit of adversity too - with a 4th string center, Thomas going down, without McKissick, against a good pass rush, on a short week and traveling across the country.  Considering the context, it was (yet again) a gritty performance.  Another really nice team win.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

This wasn't his best game, but he helped us grind them up.

I get anyone saying we can use an upgrade.  It's just hard to make that case when we are winning.

About to go into the playoffs flamming hot again, any given sunday after that...

Statistically no.  But as far as patience and discipline this was a really good game.  Dan Quinn has perfected that three deep Seattle Umbrella defense.  It's a very frustrating defense because they take away the downfield shots.  With three deep defenders pretty much the whole game you have to be very patient.  They also zone up a lot so you have to find the holes.  The defense keeps everything in front and rally's to the ball.  A lot of QB's lose patience and try to force throws.  Then, someone gets a hand on the ball and this brand of defense gets a lot of tip picks.  The one today was all Crosby though.  He's a stud.  

I thought Heinicke was very patient and took what was there.  Ideally, you'd like a little more out of your running game vs that defense.  I think the offense was wearing the Raiders Defense out until that pick gave them life.  There was the interception that almost cost them but look how many the WFT defense got their hands on Wilson's passes last week and didn't make the catch.  Every QB has throws they'd like back.  Especially Stetson Bennett from Georgia!  

Heinicke made plays with his legs too to keep the Raiders offense off the field.  He just keeps moving the chains.  His elusiveness is top 3 I think in the NFL.  It's amazing what he is able to do in a dirty pocket.  He didn't have a lot of time today.  Back foot throws are not what you want but sometimes you have no choice.  That was the case today.  Raiders got a good push.  They're a good team. 

Mentally, Taylor Heinicke is a top ten QB.  The way he comes back from a mistake and the way he responds when under pressure is damned impressive.  That quality cannot be overlooked.  It's way more important than arm strength. 

Edited by ThomasRoane
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Honestly, during this win streak the team is resembling more of what we expected going into the season.  Leaning on the defense & run game.  It's no surprise that the team magically starts winning as soon as the defense has humbles 4 very capable QB's in the last month's worth of games.  The offense has shown flashes at times, but it's mostly with yards not points.  Tampa & Carolina have the defenses, but Seattle & Las Vegas, these two opponents could have and *should* have been put away earlier in the game.   

Finding ways to win is encouraging, but it's a hard way to win week in and way out.  Hopefully in this home stretch, Taylor and the offense find ways to get the ball into the endzone more often.

You don't think Turner wants that?  The problem he has is that he can't keep Thomas and Samuel on the field.  The defense locks up McLaurin with double teams.  Gibson can only do so much.  Who are you going to scheme for to get you in the end zone?  They need more weapons.  A big bodied receiver should be a priority next year.  A player other than Thomas who can win 50/50 balls  

Don't forget, no McKissic to spell Gibson today either.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Statistically no.  But as far as patience and discipline this was a really good game.  Dan Quinn has perfected that three deep Seattle Umbrella defense.  It's a very frustrating defense because they take away the downfield shots.  With three deep defenders pretty much the hole game you have to be very patient.  They also zone up a lot so you have to find the holes.  The defense keeps everything in front and rally's to the ball.  A lot of QB's lose patience and try to force throws.  Then, someone gets a hand on the ball and this brand of defense gets a lot of tip picks.  The one today was all Crosby though.  He's a stud.  

I thought Heinicke was very patient and took what was there.  Ideally, you'd like a little more out of your running game vs that defense.  I think the offense was wearing the Raiders Defense out until that pick gave them life.  There was the interception that almost cost them but look how many the WFT defense got their hands on Wilson's passes last week and didn't make the catch.  Every QB has throws they'd like back.  Especially Stetson Bennett from Georgia!  

Heinicke made plays with his legs too to keep the Raiders offense off the field.  He just keeps moving the chains.  His elusiveness is top 3 I think in the NFL.  It's amazing what he is able to do in a dirty pocket.  He didn't have a lot of time today.  Back foot throws are not what you want but sometimes you have no choice.  That was the case today.  Raiders got a good push.  They're a good team. 

Mentally, Taylor Heinicke is a top ten QB.  The way he comes back from a mistake and the way he responds when under pressure is damned impressive.  That quality cannot be overlooked.  It's way more important than arm strength. 

Sir Thomas Roane, I was never a coach, though I was coached in high school... and I recall hearing the words of my coach saying it's not how you play, it's how you finish. 

I'm sure this is overly simplistic, but it applies to TH's grit and results.

Sure we can put every one of his plays under a microscope on monday morning... but he got it together and led us to a FG for the winner. 

Now, let's hope he has one of his "Good games" next week against Dem Bois!

HTTR

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Today's significance - he has just attained a winning record, since being named starter, which is 6-5.

Before today's game, nfl.com had Carr was the league's #1 rated passer. Which just adds more weight to his feat of beating Brady, Newton, Russell, and Carr in 4 straight games.

We did it with a lot of defense. However, thanks to Heinicke's ball-control offense, the defense had much less work to do than normal ; as Heinicke has been eating up the clock

with long drives, total time of possession, etc. Yes, part of that relies on a good running game, and credit to Gibson. But Heinicke was clutch, and consistent, and low on mistakes,

in order to control the ball via the clock and keep our defense and their offense off the field much of the time.

What did Heinicke have to do with beating Carr? Our defense overall has been playing great and mostly stifled a good (fringe top 10) QB and an offense that's generally been playing well. The defense didn't necessarily have "less work to do". The Raiders literally had the exact same number of drives as we did; they had to stop them just as many times as they had to try and stop us. Why can't we just say that the defense did a really good job? Why does it somehow have to have something to do with Taylor Heinicke?

As far as TH I thought he played pretty well overall. Accurate, efficient. Not many big plays, but not many dumb ones. Plenty of short and intermediate stuff. Managed the game well. Had some very nice intermediate passes near the sideline, which requires good timing, so that was nice to see. I think so far my view of him is mostly the same after this game as well: top 15-20 QB who can win you games with the help of a strong running game and good defense. Not necessarily a guy who's going to put up a ton of yards and TDs or make tons of huge plays, but can move the chains when needed and doesn't make too many costly mistakes.

I still think there are serious issues with our offense overall. I'm not entirely sure if there's one thing to blame more than another, but it gets super stagnant at times and we really just suck in the red zone and don't score all that much. We consistently put up less points (far less in many cases) vs a team than what that team's defense was allowing on average. Yes, we've managed to eke out some close wins with the help of a defense that seems to have finally found its legs. But it's still concerning. There are really only so many games you're going to be able to win when scoring 10-20 points.

There was a play in the 3rd where he was being flushed out, avoided a sack, started to run left and fired the ball pretty damn hard to me to Thomas but he couldn't snag it. 

Get a QB who can fire the ball on a rope and there will be something he can't do.  Perfect QBs are not growing off of trees, most every QB in the league today has a flaw in their game one way or another, but the better ones, like TH, are capable of winning games without it. 

Its one thing to want a QB who can throw a 70 + yd bomb, but name a WR on this team with elite speed who can run under it. There isn't one on this team, so it kind of defeats the purpose...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

Heinicke completed 23 of 30 passes (76%) for 196 yards (6.5 per attempt) with 2 TD, 1 INT for a 101.5 passer rating.

If that's a down game, we're setting the standard pretty high. 

I think it all depends on expectations. I don't expect Heinicke to go out and make tons of big throws and pass for 450 yards and 4 TDs, so for me this was a pretty good game for him. Took what the defens gave him, moved the chains when needed, made some good plays with his legs, had some nice intermediate passes, a few "eek" passes but not many (that dropped INT that would have probably been a pick 6 to seal the game was a very "eek" throw).

So yeah, for me it was pretty much standard Heinicke and an overall good game for him.

Heinicke to me is not necessarily a "franchise QB" but he's definitely at least a mid-tier starter. If you build a great team around him, and don't have to pay him $30M or whatever (and thus can allocate that cap space elsewhere), I think you can win a championship with him.

But he's not a $30M top-10 franchise cornerstone. And that's fine. You should still try and draft one of those if you can because they're so damn valuable. But I don't think you trade multiple 1st's for an Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson, even though they are clear upgrades as players, because then you're sacrificing picks + players in the trade and you gotta pay them on top of that.

Heinicke can be the guy until there's a high-upside guy on the draft board you decide to go get, and then he can still start while the rookie learns the ropes.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Heinicke to me is not necessarily a "franchise QB" but he's definitely at least a mid-tier starter. If you build a great team around him, and don't have to pay him $30M or whatever (and thus can allocate that cap space elsewhere), I think you can win a championship with him.

But he's not a $30M top-10 franchise cornerstone. And that's fine. You should still try and draft one of those if you can because they're so damn valuable. But I don't think you trade multiple 1st's for an Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson, even though they are clear upgrades as players, because then you're sacrificing picks + players in the trade and you gotta pay them on top of that.

Heinicke can be the guy until there's a high-upside guy on the draft board you decide to go get, and then he can still start while the rookie learns the ropes.

Yeah I agree I'd no longer sell the farm for a Rodgers or Wilson. I would still consider drafting a QB in the 1st round if someone we like falls to our pick but I probably wouldn't trade up(I mean if our FO/coaches didn't want to trade up last year I doubt they'd trade up in a weaker class).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clietas said:

Last Washington QB with four game winning drives in a season?  🤔

Kirk in 2017.  Before that, Kirk in 2016. 

Kirk's not an option any more.   It's great we have a baller like Heinicke playing his ass off, on an extremely cheap contract. 

If Heinicke continues to develop -- and more importantly, if the defense performs as expected -- his career could be legendary indeed. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Kirk in 2017.  Before that, Kirk in 2016. 

Kirk's not an option any more.   It's great we have a baller like Heinicke playing his ass off, on an extremely cheap contract. 

If Heinicke continues to develop -- and more importantly, if the defense performs as expected -- his career could be legendary indeed. 

Heinicke > Cousins

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

For me, I think we saw a bit of “bad TH” rear it’s head - throwing some high balls, throwing into traffic, not setting his feet and therefore getting the ball to his targets a bit late/inaccurately.  But… he was (for the most part) quite sharp until he had been hit multiple times, he had a number of clutch plays, had a GW drive, and we won even with some of that ‘regression’.  Did it facing a good bit of adversity too - with a 4th string center, Thomas going down, without McKissick, against a good pass rush, on a short week and traveling across the country.  Considering the context, it was (yet again) a gritty performance.  Another really nice team win.

This post is on point he had to overcome adversity and got the crap beat out of him. Also you got your leader John Allen and a LB Cole Holcomb talking about him, I have a feeling those guys dont say things like that often. This is a great story you guys should be proud to have and root for this guy and the team. I really, really hope it continues you just dont see guys come off the couch at 28 its just so cool!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TChaler70 said:

Also you got your leader John Allen and a LB Cole Holcomb talking about him, I have a feeling those guys dont say things like that often.

And Flowers was putting up fists against the opponent to defend his QB.

And speaking of Holcomb, he had an amazing game himself. Who knew he had so much athleticism in defending passes ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

For now I'm sticking with my instinct that Heinicke's potential is probably a mid-tier guy. Top 20 or top 15. He's definitely a guy you keep, but you absolutely still look for an upgrade because there really is nothing that can compare to having a true top 5 type franchise QB. Hopefully we like a guy in the 1st and he falls to us, but I doubt we'll be in a position for one of the top prospects unfortunately.

I think Heinicke is a guy you might be able to win 1 SB with, but it would take a top defense, good running game, and some luck. That's what it took for Dilfer, Flacco, Kaep, Jimmy G, Goff, and Foles to get there.

I've never been interested in trying to go for Wilson or Rodgers. Wilson is pretty much irrelevant because he has final say over where he'd be traded, and I think there's about a .001% chance we're on his short list. Rodgers is just a pain in the ass and a complete dip**** and I want no part of him. Amazing QB, but such a numskull.

10 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Heinicke > Cousins

Heinicke is not better than Cousins. And this is coming from a guy who wasn't a huge fan of Kirk anyway. The only thing that Heinicke has over Kirk is that Kirk is a choke artist and Heinicke seems to do well under pressure. But from a QB skill standpoint there's simply no comparison. Kirk wins that hands down.

Edited by mistertim
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

For now I'm sticking with my instinct that Heinicke's potential is probably a mid-tier guy. Top 20 or top 15. He's definitely a guy you keep, but you absolutely still look for an upgrade because there really is nothing that can compare to having a true top 5 type franchise QB. Hopefully we like a guy in the 1st and he falls to us, but I doubt we'll be in a position for one of the top prospects unfortunately.

I think Heinicke is a guy you might be able to win 1 SB with, but it would take a top defense, good running game, and some luck. That's what it took for Dilfer, Flacco, Kaep, Jimmy G, Goff, and Foles to get there.

I've never been interested in trying to go for Wilson or Rodgers. Wilson is pretty much irrelevant because he has final say over where he'd be traded, and I think there's about a .001% chance we're on his short list. Rodgers is just a pain in the ass and a complete dip**** and I want no part of him. Amazing QB, but such a numskull.

Heinicke is not better than Cousins. And this is coming from a guy who wasn't a huge fan of Kirk anyway. The only thing that Heinicke has over Kirk is that Kirk is a choke artist and Heinicke seems to do well under pressure. But from a QB skill standpoint there's simply no comparison. Kirk wins that hands down.

Kirk is a choke artist.  DING DING DING.

• Thanks 1