Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Covid Vaccine Thread


Cooked Crack
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

I go in Tuesday for my 2nd shot. The 1st shot gave me absolutely zero side effects. Worried the 2nd shot is gonna make up for that lol...

 

I go Thursday for Pfizer #2 and I am somewhat fearing the same. Only real side effect was a typical sore arm you'd get from a flu shot.  At least in my case if the side effects go wild on me, I'd likely only have to miss one day of work.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Califan007 said:

I go in Tuesday for my 2nd shot. The 1st shot gave me absolutely zero side effects. Worried the 2nd shot is gonna make up for that lol...

 

38 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Dang I get my 2nd Moderna on Thursday.

 

13 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

 

I go Thursday for Pfizer #2 and I am somewhat fearing the same. Only real side effect was a typical sore arm you'd get from a flu shot.  At least in my case if the side effects go wild on me, I'd likely only have to miss one day of work.

 

If you do get the fever (it is a reaction to the vaccine not side effect) it will be mild and not like a real fever. It will be over in 2 days. You all will be fine. :)

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

 

I go Thursday for Pfizer #2 and I am somewhat fearing the same. Only real side effect was a typical sore arm you'd get from a flu shot.  At least in my case if the side effects go wild on me, I'd likely only have to miss one day of work.

Same here!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, zskins said:

 

 

 

If you do get the fever (it is a reaction to the vaccine not side effect) it will be mild and not like a real fever. It will be over in 2 days. You all will be fine. :)

 

 

Ohhh I know.  In the big picture even if I get side effects I don't really care so much. I think it is more about the mental aspect of preparing to be sick (in the event that it happens) where as most times when I get sick it is somewhat of a surprise or I didn't realize it was coming and I wake up congested or something.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

 

Ohhh I know.  In the big picture even if I get side effects I don't really care so much. I think it is more about the mental aspect of preparing to be sick (in the event that it happens) where as most times when I get sick it is somewhat of a surprise or I didn't realize it was coming and I wake up congested or something.

 

I got the fever after 18 hours so that was a surprise to me even though I was expecting it and then i wasn't when I didn't get it before I went to sleep. Woke up with fever at 6am. Maybe you won't get it and that would be your surprise. :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cuba’s COVID-19 Vaccines Being Sought After by CARICOM Countries

 

Cuba is the only country in Latin America and the Caribbean developing COVID-19 vaccines. There has been an interest in these vaccines within the Member States of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM).

 

In Jamaica, there have been calls for the government to explore the possibilities with Cuba and it was reported recently that Suriname wants to take a Cuban vaccine. There is long-standing cooperation between CARICOM and Cuba and there’s a CARICOM/Cuba trade agreement.

 

This is a truly commendable achievement for Cuba, a small state, which, among the many, has four (4) vaccines listed by the World Health Organization (WHO) in various stages of development. It has vaccines among the 23 at the advanced phase 3 in the development process. The Cuban vaccine, Soberana 02, is one of two vaccines being developed by the Finlay Vaccines Institute. The others are being developed by the country’s Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology.

 

Click on the link for the full article

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Red states are vaccinating at a lower rate than blue states

 

One of the biggest obstacles in America's race to vaccinate against the coronavirus has been that substantial proportions of certain groups choose not to vaccinate.

 

The polling has suggested all along that Republicans would be less likely to get vaccinations than Democrats -- and this is now being seen in the real world.


Blue states are starting to outpace red states when it comes to vaccinations, and the instances where that isn't the case are often explained by other expected demographic patterns.


There are a few different ways to look at vaccination rates by state, but they are showing the same picture as of Thursday.


Let's first look at the percentage of those 18 and older with at least one dose of the Covid-19 vaccine.


The top 10 states on this metric are New Hampshire, New Mexico, South Dakota, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Maine, Vermont, Alaska, and Minnesota and Rhode Island tied. Nearly all of these are states won by President Joe Biden last November, with Alaska and South Dakota as the exceptions.


Now look at the bottom 10 states on this metric: Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, Louisiana, Indiana, Wyoming, Missouri, Arkansas and Idaho. Former President Donald Trump won all of these states last year, except for Georgia.


Right now, 46% of those 18 and older in the average state Biden won have had at least one dose of the vaccine. That drops to 41% in the average state Trump won.

 

Click on the link for the full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got an email from my daughters school. They are approaching 90% of teachers and staff being vaccinated within the next couple weeks. They are also waiting for vaccines to be approved for kids then they plan on doing vaccines for all of the eligible kids at the school (with parents consent).

I love my daughter's school district...

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heard a radio ad -from California Department of Public Health this morning on my drive to work talking about how the vaccines are safe and effective. 

 

Sad that these ads have to occur. Anti- vax people (and the small venn diagram they share with MAGAssholes) have sullied my views on people being useful. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Heard a radio ad -from California Department of Public Health this morning on my drive to work talking about how the vaccines are safe and effective. 

 

Sad that these ads have to occur. Anti- vax people (and the small venn diagram they share with MAGAssholes) have sullied my views on people being useful. 

Normally I wouldn't reply to this, but I'm getting really sick of all the generalizations.

I have an aunt and uncle by marriage are waiting to get the vaccine...they ARE NOT anti-vaxxers...just looking for additional data.

They are also NOT MAGAers. 1 is a Republican and 1 a Democrat. 

I understand the generalization is a great easy and lazy way to do it, but let's be a bit real on this one...this situation is different then your typical anti-vaxxer...I have one of those on my wife's side of the family as well...and she's a liberal...anti-vaxxers don't follow party lines...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Normally I wouldn't reply to this, but I'm getting really sick of all the generalizations.

I have an aunt and uncle by marriage are waiting to get the vaccine...they ARE NOT anti-vaxxers...just looking for additional data.

They are also NOT MAGAers. 1 is a Republican and 1 a Democrat. 

I understand the generalization is a great easy and lazy way to do it, but let's be a bit real on this one...this situation is different then your typical anti-vaxxer...I have one of those on my wife's side of the family as well...and she's a liberal...anti-vaxxers don't follow party lines...

 

36 minutes ago, clietas said:

There's a lot of views the far left n far right share. Anti vaxx is one of those views. 🤷‍♂️

 

😉

 

 

Hence my use of "very small venn diagram they share". Living where I live (SF Bay Area) I'm surrounded with granola eating hippie anti vaxxers. 

 

That said,  they are both useless peoples.  😁

 

Edit should have been more clear on that. I don't find the MAGAssholes to be largely anti-vax. I find them to be largely anti-intelligence (and/or anti-science).

Edited by The Evil Genius
Typos
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Xameil said:

Normally I wouldn't reply to this, but I'm getting really sick of all the generalizations.

I have an aunt and uncle by marriage are waiting to get the vaccine...they ARE NOT anti-vaxxers...just looking for additional data.

They are also NOT MAGAers. 1 is a Republican and 1 a Democrat. 

I understand the generalization is a great easy and lazy way to do it, but let's be a bit real on this one...this situation is different then your typical anti-vaxxer...I have one of those on my wife's side of the family as well...and she's a liberal...anti-vaxxers don't follow party lines...

 

Yes, I was an ultra liberal waiting to see what the efficacy of these new vaccines were and any serious side effects and deaths were associated with them. I was going to wait until Summer and kept reading about their science. Then my asshole governor announced that he was opening up the state 100% the next week. I was offered the first shot by my medical center a couple of days later and immediately signed up. I am so glad that I am vaccinated with the most scientific protection available while I can still use regular protection actions. The data is out there, and yes it's still incomplete, but going to be incomplete for years. It's one more thing we can do to protect ourselves. From what I see, these vaccines are probably the safest ever developed and thank goodness for 21st Century science!

 

 

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, LadySkinsFan said:

 

Yes, I was an ultra liberal waiting to see what the efficacy of these new vaccines were and any serious side effects and deaths were associated with them. I was going to wait until Summer and kept reading about their science. Then my asshole governor announced that he was opening up the state 100% the next week. I was offered the first shot by my medical center a couple of days later and immediately signed up. I am so glad that I am vaccinated for the most scientific protection available while I can still use regular protection actions. The data is out there, and yes it's still incomplete, but going to be incomplete for years. It's one more thing we can do to protect ourselves. From what I see, these vaccines are probably the safest ever developed and thank goodness for 21st Century science!

Oh...I'm not disagreeing with ya at all...I'm happy my daughters school is getting ready to vaccinate as many students as possible.

 

I also don't fault the aunt and uncle who want to wait...my wife's anti-vax cousin....she's a freak...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to be that asshole..but I don't get the distrust in medicine here (edit here being the 21st century US). There is absolutely no incentive to roll out a harmful vaccination, especially one that had been been tested on people for almost 12 months prior.  

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The vaccinations that everyone have gotten are now generating huge amounts of what essentially constitute Phase 4 data.

 

People who were rightfully cautious when there was data on only a few thousand people when the vaccines were initially rolled out should be aware that we now have safety data on millions of people who have received the vaccine.  If there were a significant number of serious adverse effects we'd have seen them by now.  Mostly the effects are normal and expected, including allergic reactions, localized injection site reactions, and immune response expected with a vaccine.  This is how we are aware that the AstraZeneca vaccine has more side effects than the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

 

While there is still the possibility of an as yet unknown long-term effect (however remote), is it worth waiting years to find out?  How much data is enough?  I'm sure these companies are furiously compiling the data to submit to the FDA so that these vaccines can be fully approved, not just approved under Emergency Use Authorization.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, China said:

 

 

While there is still the possibility of an as yet unknown long-term effect (however remote), is it worth waiting years to find out?  How much data is enough?  I'm sure these companies are furiously compiling the data to submit to the FDA so that these vaccines can be fully approved, not just approved under Emergency Use Authorization.


Pfizer is submitting for full FDA approval soon (I think I read as soon as this month) and Moderna shouldn’t be far behind. 
 

Full approval is crucial to give governments, businesses, schools, etc the ability to mandate covid vaccines for certain activities. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are currently choosing to wait, you are ignoring evidence and expert recommendations.  We have excellent data that show these vaccines are safe and effective.  We have a year of experience showing that COVID is extremely contagious and very dangerous.   Waiters are not as crazy as the most rabid anti-vaxxer, but it is still wrong.  

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@bcl05 I don't completely agree. I think with this vaccine it's more of a personal cost-benefit analysis. We have an FDA for a reason and there isn't full approval yet. For those who are low-risk when it comes to COVID, why not allow them to do all the research? 

 

I'm not an anti-vaxxer at all (and in fact, I'm getting the vaccine) but I certainly don't lump this into the same pile as those who won't vaccinate their kids with the MMR or something like that. 

 

Those in the demographic who aren't high-risk of COVID are certainly within their rights to hold off and wait for a little more research. Especially when you have some guidance that states even with the vaccine you need to wear double masks, still social distance, etc. So, take all the same precautions plus get a shot that hasn't been fully approved by the FDA...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

@bcl05 I don't completely agree. I think with this vaccine it's more of a personal cost-benefit analysis. We have an FDA for a reason and there isn't full approval yet. For those who are low-risk when it comes to COVID, why not allow them to do all the research? 

 

I'm not an anti-vaxxer at all (and in fact, I'm getting the vaccine) but I certainly don't lump this into the same pile as those who won't vaccinate their kids with the MMR or something like that. 

 

Those in the demographic who aren't high-risk of COVID are certainly within their rights to hold off and wait for a little more research. Especially when you have some guidance that states even with the vaccine you need to wear double masks, still social distance, etc. So, take all the same precautions plus get a shot that hasn't been fully approved by the FDA...


Well we have 100m vaccine doses given out and a 0.00000% fatality rate associated with them. Even the most “low risk” young adult demographics for covid have at least a 1 in 1000 chance of dying from covid, plus whatever odds of longterm side effects. Add on the social benefit of getting vaccinated (you have a 90+ chance of not passing on the virus even if you are exposed to it), and yeah there really is no excuse based on the amount of data to hold out. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

@bcl05 I don't completely agree. I think with this vaccine it's more of a personal cost-benefit analysis. We have an FDA for a reason and there isn't full approval yet. For those who are low-risk when it comes to COVID, why not allow them to do all the research? 

 

I'm not an anti-vaxxer at all (and in fact, I'm getting the vaccine) but I certainly don't lump this into the same pile as those who won't vaccinate their kids with the MMR or something like that. 

 

Those in the demographic who aren't high-risk of COVID are certainly within their rights to hold off and wait for a little more research. Especially when you have some guidance that states even with the vaccine you need to wear double masks, still social distance, etc. So, take all the same precautions plus get a shot that hasn't been fully approved by the FDA...

 

I mean this as an honest question. What does it mean to you when you hear the vaccine is not fully approved by the FDA? I am not sure many people really understand what that means as there has been so much misinformation out there.  

 

The only thing different between Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) or applying for a license through a Biologics License Application (BLA) ie - full FDA Approval - is the monitoring period. That is it. There are no additional efficacy tests, there were no shortcuts taken in the testing process, there is nothing more than a longer monitoring period to look for rare long term reactions. The EUA allows the use of a vaccine before the full monitoring period is over. Nothing more. 

 

Having said that, I have to agree with those that say we should separate anti-vaxxers who flat out refuse to take the vaccine and those who are willing but want to be cautious. The anti-vaxxers are idiots - sorry no other way to put it. But that group does not include those being cautious. There is so much misinformation out there, it's hard for people to navigate to the truth sometimes. 

 

Those holding off have an equation in their mind --> Risk of NOT taking the vaccine vs the risk of taking the vaccine. When the risk of not taking it becomes greater than the risk of taking it, they will get the vaccine. I have a hard time faulting them for that even if it's misguided. What I do have a problem with is people jsut saying, no, I am not taking it and the follow that with lines of BS they saw on Newsmax, FOX or OAN. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...