Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I just found this cool blast from the past. Christmas shopping at Toys'R'Us in 1991. At the 17:29 mark they get to the video game aisle and it is glorious!

Edit - Also, does anyone else remember Lowes having an electronics section? They used to have a glass case filled with new NES games and one Lowes near me had a playable SNES hooked up to a tv display.

Edited by Metalhead
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

The actual video GAME aisle was cooler than the one with the consoles.  Sure seeing all the consoles out on display were awesome, especially when they had Neo Geo there.  But going down the aisle with the game box art where you flipped them up to see the back of the box, and then each one had a ticket under it... now THAT was my ****.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Late to Hades but it's sucking my time now. Especially the final boss level. 

Definitely a portable dungeon crawler rec if anyone is looking for one.. 

My only complaint is that I have to wear my reading glasses to play it. 😆

tiny text.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Metalhead said:

I just found this cool blast from the past. Christmas shopping at Toys'R'Us in 1991. At the 17:29 mark they get to the video game aisle and it is glorious!

Edit - Also, does anyone else remember Lowes having an electronics section? They used to have a glass case filled with new NES games and one Lowes near me had a playable SNES hooked up to a tv display.

I didn't even know Lowes existed back then.  We had Hechinger before it was replaced by Home Depot and subsequently Lowes.  And as a kid who found Hechinger to be a place of torture, they did not have an electronics section.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Late to Hades but it's sucking my time now. Especially the final boss level. 

Definitely a portable dungeon crawler rec if anyone is looking for one.. 

My only complaint is that I have to wear my reading glasses to play it. 😆

tiny text.

I am pretty sure Hades 2 comes out this year.  I was addicted to Hades for a bit.

If you like Hades and haven't checked out Dead Cells, I highly recommend it.

• Thumb up 2

55 minutes ago, purbeast said:

The actual video GAME aisle was cooler than the one with the consoles.  Sure seeing all the consoles out on display were awesome, especially when they had Neo Geo there.  But going down the aisle with the game box art where you flipped them up to see the back of the box, and then each one had a ticket under it... now THAT was my ****.

Yeah man. Everything felt like an exciting blind buy. And even then the worst games were still challenging or fun.

My dad would take my brother and I to the local pawn shops on fridays to get NES games. No cases, no booklets, just the cartridge and hope for the best when we got home.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 10:40 AM, purbeast said:

I am pretty sure Hades 2 comes out this year.  I was addicted to Hades for a bit.

If you like Hades and haven't checked out Dead Cells, I highly recommend it.

I didn't like Hades as much (still played it a lot), it felt more "grindy" than I had liked. However, I enjoyed all of the voice acting, the aesthetics and using all of the different weapons. Dead Cells is my jam, been playing that for years now, maybe I'll beat it one day.

• Like 1

Hades was definitely grindy. On the plus side, the level runs usually lasted less than 10-15 minutes until I started learning to dash dash dash and understood the boon system. 

Still haven't been able to beat final boss Hades but I'm getting there. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Looks decent.  Too bad it's first person though.  This kinda game would be better in third person like Uncharted and Tomb Raider imo.

Its Xbox only too. Gamepass Day 1 I think. I suspect they didn't want to go the Uncharted route so that it wouldn't be compared. 

30 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Its Xbox only too. Gamepass Day 1 I think. I suspect they didn't want to go the Uncharted route so that it wouldn't be compared. 

Are you sure? There's a listing for it on Steam.