Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

51 minutes ago, jservs7 said:

We're getting a 1-2 year stop gap QB and a QB in the draft. 

Is this the two bad options scenario? I mean, I get what you are saying and it's quite possible it happens. But signing a free agent (who is maybe fringe starter quality, much more likely good back-up quality) and then drafting a non first round QB who is 90% (or more) unlikely to pan out in being a starter is basically doing something for the sake of doing something. But hey, you did two somethings, so it looks more impressive even in neither likely amount to anything. We're playing that Powerball, but hey, we bought two tickets this time! so are odds are now only 1 in half a billion! ;)

And yeah, I get it. These are all bad options. Just not sure we need to double down on them. I guess I can really hope the team loves some non-first round QB and that non first round QB is the one in 15 or 20 that actually pans out. I'm feeling lucky! No whammies!

10 hours ago, jservs7 said:

We're getting a 1-2 year stop gap QB and a QB in the draft. 

Get me any QB not named Jimmy Garoppolo as that stop gap and I can live with that. 

We have Heinicke signed for 2 years and Allen can be ERFA for 2 years.  Montex likely stays PS, so a draft pick makes 3 QB on active roster.

I have a feeling we already have the stop gap you mention.

9 hours ago, madden lot said:

The jets absolutely will not get anything better than a 5th this year and possibly conditional 2022 7th rounder for sam Donald. 

The second they draft a QB, IDK why they'd have any leverage for a trade at all.  They can't keep him.

Edited by jsharrin55
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, madden lot said:

The jets absolutely will not get anything better than a 5th this year and possibly conditional 2022 7th rounder for sam Donald. 

I guess will see.  That would be news to Sheehan and a bunch of national reporters.  

The thought seems to be a 2nd AND a 4th/5th give or take.   If its a 5th for Darnold, even though I am not a Darnold guy, i'd be fine with it.   But no one is saying its going that cheap.   But I guess we won't know until it plays out. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Yeah, I don't see Watson moving or WFT making a big splash at QB.  If I'm not mistaken, the cap drops from $198 million in 2020 to $182.5 million in 2021.  That's nearly 20 million and we just franchise tagged Scherff for $18 million.  That leaves us around 20 million in cap space?

Edited by heyholetsgogrant

7 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

Yeah, I don't see Watson moving or WFT making a big splash at QB.  If I'm not mistaken, the cap drops from $198 million in 2020 to $182.5 million in 2021.  That's nearly 20 million and we just franchise tagged Scherff for $18 million.  That leaves us around 20 million in cap space?

40mil, reportedly.

Brissett looks like a decent option. I don't really see him coming in here and outright beating out Heinicke. He has had fivecareer 300+ yard games and 3 3+TD games (one with four). Its not an overwhelming resume but not something that I'd be mad about. I'd rather have Mond but if Mond is a guy whose stock is rising, maybe we're not getting him without spending a 2nd or 3rd on him. Going with TH, KA and JB gives us 3 guys that could all play "well enough" and with this defense it gives us a chance at a SF or LAR type run to be a SB contender. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

So 38mill  and change with Smith gone and Scherff tagged, but I don't think all of that is available now because of the post June 1st designation.

yeah, it was rumoured he was going to be post June 1st, but I don’t recall seeing that confirmed at the point he was cut ??? 

I have wondered if we changed approach on that knowing Scherff needed to be tagged ??

10 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Brissett is a wholly underwhelming selection imo. He’s a great backup, but I wouldn’t really want him starting. 

Agreed. Brissett seems like a decent backup QB. But Washington already has two of those. Having three makes little sense.

• Like 2

Would trade the whole draft for Zach Wilson.... yes, I think he's that good.

Also, I mentioned a crazy scenario regarding Drew Brees in the FA thread. They are in cap hell and most likely looking to move on/get out of his contract (or he may just retire). Maybe a late rounder and his contract bring him here for this year if we can't draft one early and perhaps a mid-rounder on someone like Mond, Mills, or Newman?

Edited by SemperFi Skins
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

yeah, it was rumoured he was going to be post June 1st, but I don’t recall seeing that confirmed at the point he was cut ??? 

I have wondered if we changed approach on that knowing Scherff needed to be tagged ??

that’s fair.  Someone posted tweets suggesting post, but I don’t see anything official.  Although sportrac and over the cap likely assuming so they aren’t much help either at this point.

If post June 1st cut I wonder if we could do something like extend Scherff and/or Allen and maybe trigger a SB June 2.  So the hit is technically lower until it actually paid.  

Edited by jsharrin55