Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

15 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Darnold I can stomach as a backup who might eventually get a chance to be Tannehill. Darnold, Heinicke, and Kyle Allen all as viable options to be the day 1 starter? Miss me with that harder than we missed on Haskins. 3 QBs all at roughly the same level of proven skill is a hard one for me to look forward to. It's what QB carousels are made of.

Darnold and Tannehill are miles apart.

Tannehill was already a good, but not necessarily top notch QB. He'd proven he wasn't a bust, but he hadn't really lived up to his 8th overall pedigree in Miami. Then he got to Tennessee and they clearly knew how to maximize his talents an surround him with the right guys.

Darnold hasn't even proven he belongs on an NFL field. He's pretty much a straight up bust at this point.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Darnold and Tannehill are miles apart.

Tannehill was already a good, but not necessarily top notch QB. He'd proven he wasn't a bust, but he hadn't really lived up to his 8th overall pedigree in Miami. Then he got to Tennessee and they clearly knew how to maximize his talents an surround him with the right guys.

Darnold hasn't even proven he belongs on an NFL field. He's pretty much a straight up bust at this point.

I'd average Tannehill's performance in Miami as slightly above average.  I watched a lot of his games.   His numbers were decent to good for the most part.  He had his moments but never elevated his game to be in conversation with the top 12 QBs.  

A good analogy to Darnold is actually Haskins.  They both as a whole have been really bad.  Darnold was bad over a longer sample.  Both among the bottom or the actual bottom of the league depending on the category.

Rehabbing Darnold is much closer to what Pittsburgh is about to try to do with Haskins than anything remotely close to Tannehill.   The Tannehill thing obviously is about Gase.  But I find that weird considering Tannehill played under other coaches in Miami too.  He wasn't drafted by Gase.  He was the same guy more or less in most of his tenure there as was Darnold the season before Gase arrived. 

I really wouldn't give a rats behind about what QB we try to rehab, we got nothing to lose, if we did it cheap or free like the Steelers are doing with Haskins.  But with Darnold it looks like you have to do it a premium price and that more than anything is what turns me off.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

https://247sports.com/Article/Robert-Griffin-III-NFL-free-agency-Baltimore-Ravens-Tom-Brady-Washington-Football-Team-Lamar-Jackson-160857943/

"I was a starter in this league for a long time and then my time in Baltimore, I was a backup," Griffin said. "I want to get back to getting an opportunity to compete and play every week. But whatever opportunity there is for me to compete as a starter or go somewhere, to solidify a backup spot, or help a young guy – whatever it is, I just want to keep playing. I just love this game so much."

This is your full chaos option

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Eh, I think Kirk is way more athletic than Mac Jones and has a better arm. But I do see similarities in that they're guys who are rhythm passers and are best when they're playing within the system and not doing a lot of off-schedule stuff. Both have good consistent mechanics and footwork.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

lol, I made this same comparison months ago.  Similar strengths and weaknesses.  Very different personalities though. 

I'd take Kirk 2.0 again but I think he will be better. JMO, SIP.  Time will tell.  :)

Edited by RWJ

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Eh, I think Kirk is way more athletic than Mac Jones and has a better arm. But I do see similarities in that they're guys who are rhythm passers and are best when they're playing within the system and not doing a lot of off-schedule stuff. Both have good consistent mechanics and footwork.

I don't know about way more athletic.  I don't see Mac as slow, he's just a dude who isn't fast or makes plays off script for the most part.  I agree Kirk has the stronger arm.  But where they remind me of each other is they are rhythm passers, who feed off of play action. Both of their strengths IMO is using their body language and eyes to sell play action and misdirect. 

But for me right now, I think my #1 target is this guy.  Granted we are talking about the tallest dwarf so to speak.  I don't want to give up major compensation whether its money or draft picks for a project. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I'd take Kirk 2.0 again but I think he's better. JMO, SIP.  Time will tell.  :)

You think Mac is better?  I am close to @mistertim's take which is Kirk is more talented.  But I do think their strengths dovetail as i mentioned months back.  

If the media draft types matter (and I am not sure they do but some of them say they parrot what they hear from personnel guys), I've seen Mac in some recent mocks later in the first.   Kiper said today he dooesn't think he goes before 15.  So if you want Mac at 19 maybe there is a chance? A week ago the trend was he was going higher.    He's going to be a hard guy perhaps to predict as for where he lands in the draft -- he more than most seems to be all over the map depending on the mock. 

My gut at the moment is there is a 50-50 shot he's there at 19. 

12 minutes ago, Acworth skins fan said:

I liked Kirk, and will probably get some crap for it. Wish we still had him. 

I am cool with Kirk and I took plenty of crap for it.  But hey different folks-different strokes.  😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

I'm not saying you're wrong, just strange that kirk went in the 4th and mac jones will probably be gone by 19.  I just hope we aren't the team that overdrafts him.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Mac is more accurate than Cousins. And makes a  FAR FEWER number of game killing mistakes. Cousins has a better arm and is a slightly better athlete. 

I can agree with this. I'd say it sort of averages them out a bit. Kirk is a better athlete and has a better arm so he can make some NFL throws that Mac will probably struggle with.

Mac might be slightly more accurate but IMO both are very accurate in the short to intermediate range, though again Mac might have some trouble fitting it into tight windows or on outs in the NFL I think.

Where Kirk has issues and Mac doesn't seem to is making game killing mistakes at the worst times. Kirk has never been very good in high pressure situations under the bright lights. Mac doesn't seem to have that problem...though obviously no way to say whether that will translate to the NFL but I'd assume it would for the most part.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Mac is more accurate than Cousins. And makes a  FAR FEWER number of game killing mistakes. Cousins has a better arm and is a slightly better athlete. 

Totally agree with this statement but we must see him do it at the next level.  He did it at Alabama now the NFL.

• Like 1