Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

2 hours ago, Andre The Giant said:

Irsay: ...NFL team owners must take control of the process to determine Daniel Snyder's ownership status: "I’m into transparency and I’m into the owners running the league,"

In case you missed it that, my friends, was a shot across the bow aimed straight at Commisioner Roger Goodell.

In more direct vernacular Irsay's saying: 'Aint gonna be no fake verbal investigation report followed by a token fine and half assed punishment this go round.

Stay tuned.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

“I’m not sure how that report’s going to come out,” Irsay said in an approximately 25-minute phone interview Friday evening. “But what already has come out is extremely disturbing, and I disagree with the process. And I most likely disagree that we haven’t discussed something more severe such as him being removed as owner. As I said, it’s not something that I’m saying we should do. I’m saying it’s something that has to be given serious consideration.”

Irsay expressed dissatisfaction with the level of involvement he and other owners had in the NFL’s punishment of Snyder and the Commanders in July 2021, following a previous investigation of the team’s workplace.

The NFL declined further comment Saturday. The league has said that White’s findings, unlike those from a previous investigation of the team’s workplace conducted by attorney Beth Wilkinson, will be released to the public. It would require a vote of at least 24 of the other 31 owners to remove Snyder from ownership of his team, under a process outlined in the league’s constitution and bylaws.

Irsay made several references Friday to the “so-called suspension” given to Snyder following Wilkinson’s investigation, saying he remains unclear about the terms of the 2021 penalties following public comments made this week by John Brownlee, an attorney representing Snyder and the Commanders.

In July 2021, the NFL announced that the Commanders had been fined $10 million and that Tanya Snyder, the team’s co-CEO and Daniel Snyder’s wife, would assume control of the franchise’s daily operations for an unspecified period.

Jordan Siev, an attorney for Daniel Snyder, told ESPN in July 2021 that Snyder “was not suspended” by the NFL. Brownlee told Pro Football Talk on Thursday “there were other restrictions as far as going out to the [team’s] facility and those kinds of things that he didn’t do, because of that sanction that was imposed by the NFL” lasting until Nov. 1, 2021.

Goodell and other league officials have said several times this year that Snyder’s ownership status has not changed since the July 2021 announcement and that Goodell and Snyder will discuss the issue when White’s investigation is finished.

Irsay said he never has had a problem with Snyder on a personal level.

“Dan and I have never had a cross word in our life,” Irsay said. “I have no personal — there’s nothing that him and I have ever had any personal issues with each other on. It has nothing to do with that. It has to do with the toxic environment that was in that workplace for such a long period of time. And owners are expected to oversee everything that’s going on below them, and that’s an assumed responsibility. … And I also don’t believe you can say, ‘Well, I didn’t know this; I didn’t know that.’ I don’t buy that at all.”

“Like I said, I think there’s merit to consider removal,” Irsay said. “But I’m not ready to cast my vote until I hear the last report, until we discuss it as a group. But you have to be able to discuss things as a group. … I’m into transparency, and I’m into the owners running the league. That’s what it’s about. It’s our league. … Owners have to be directly involved and be very active and involved in massive decisions like this.”

Irsay said he has “no idea” if Snyder will attend Sunday’s game and does not think the two would have a pregame conversation even if Snyder is on hand.

“I only run into owners if it’s really coincidental,” Irsay said. “Most of us don’t see each other unless we happen to be passing each other on the field or somewhere at the same time. … It has nothing to do with Dan Snyder. If I was playing the Ravens, I wouldn’t know if [owner] Steve Bisciotti was going.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/10/29/jim-irsay-dan-snyder-roger-goodell/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Very very interesting there, the assertion that Goodell made the call on the Snyder thing without express approval of the owners—hell, without them even knowing the contents of the “verbal” report. Or at least the faction of owners that Irsay has pull with. Now maybe that’s just a natural ass-covering move given Goodell’s handling of the original Wilkinson investigation has been under constant fire and criticism. But I think most of us here have operated under the assumption that like in most cases, Goodell was enacting the owners’ majority will. It seems that in his general comfort in the role of the owners’ black ops guy, he may have grown too comfortable in his authority to keep them out of the loop—I assume to preserve plausible deniability for his bosses, to “protect the shield” in his mind, but he seemingly overstepped here.

And I don’t think Irsay would lie about this because how easy would it be for Goodell to punch back by revealing that he had indeed consulted dozens of owners on the Snyder punishment. It has to be true. Which is an interesting wrinkle considering we all thought the owners as a whole were the ones directing the brushing of the Wilkinson report under the rug. 

But then—why is Irsay voting to affirm Goodell’s new contract as commissioner last week, if he has these issues? Any commissioner would make the owners money hand-over-fist like Goodell has by making big media deals in the current environment. There’s nothing special about Goodell really, except that he’s willing to take bullets for the owners which is his main job—and here is Irsay having beef with him over his handling of that duty. Bizarre. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Trade deadline is Tuesday. We aren’t trading anyone but we should.

No one in this organization has the cranial capacity to execute anything even remotely close to what the Eagles are doing.  There really is no mechanism inherent in anyone in Washington that allows them to consider a powerful, effective forward-thinking plan.  

Anyone who can just take a few steps back and objectively appraise what has been put together under this regime for three years will see that this whole thing is just a joke.  There is nothing here that is even close to helping us contend for anything of measure.  We're still on the treadmill to nowhere.  We have no QB, HC, DC or OC that are remotely good enough when competing against the upper tier of the NFL  players and coaches.  But they'll capture enough wins against enough crap teams to put us out of contention to even luck into being able to do anything to improve our situation.

A never-ending cycle.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

On 10/28/2022 at 5:51 PM, tshile said:

Well. The original question was what legal avenue snyder would have to challenge or cause problems for the league. The thought was - you just need to have 24 votes and that’s it. 

but no, that’s not how it works. Which I dony know why people are or would be surprised that no, people are not making multi-hundred-million, or even billion dollar investments in something without there being a process and rules about having it all taken away from you. 

Goodell has to actual issue charges (apparently their word - not mine) against him 
He gets to challenge that. He has days to review and respond. He’s allowed to have lawyers involved. 

They get to respond to 

and then they have a vote. 

so when the question is what legal recourse he could have - well any time there are a series of rules on a contract that must be followed, you have a built in challenge. Even if the challenge is ultimately worthless, you can still do it and cause problems. Both in PR and in costs and who knows what comes out once you’re in a real legal proceeding. 

I mean i doubt the nfl would screw it up. If I had to bet on one side losing I’d absolutely bet everything on Snyder pursuing lawsuits that are ultimately frivolous. But that’s what the legal avenues are or could be, and it’s part of what the other owners probably don’t want to deal with. 

that aside - you can’t look a process that ultimately ends in votes, handwave away the entire process and the reality of what it means to deal with a overly litigious person, and just declare that all that matters is you sit down and count the votes. 

You have no idea and are just making stuff up.

Pretending to be an authority that doesnt exist.

41 minutes ago, Redwards said:

No one in this organization has the cranial capacity to execute anything even remotely close to what the Eagles are doing.  There really is no mechanism inherent in anyone in Washington that allows them to consider a powerful, effective forward-thinking plan.  

Anyone who can just take a few steps back and objectively appraise what has been put together under this regime for three years will see that this whole thing is just a joke.  There is nothing here that is even close to helping us contend for anything of measure.  We're still on the treadmill to nowhere.  We have no QB, HC, DC or OC that are remotely good enough when competing against the upper tier of the NFL  players and coaches.  But they'll capture enough wins against enough crap teams to put us out of contention to even luck into being able to do anything to improve our situation.

A never-ending cycle.

The never ending hell of Ron Rivera.

This team isn’t doing anything under him.  We are stuck with him until the end of 23 at least and maybe until the end of his contract in 24.  Even if the team was sold next year, we would still be stuck with him for another year.

Also, I wouldn’t expect success right out of the bat under a new owner.

Even the Pegulas messed up.

They inherited Doug Marrone. Their first hire was Rex Ryan- mistake. It was their second hire, Sean McDermott where they found success.

• Like 1