Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

15 minutes ago, Redwards said:

Two embarrassing incompetent fools who've run out of magic tricks and are now desperately trying anything to drum up fan support. 

I don't really blame Wright. I don't really blame Rivera. There is a reason no one ever succeeds here.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I don't really blame Wright. I don't really blame Rivera. There is a reason no one ever succeeds here.

Yes.  However, those people do have enough power not to be so ridiculously incompetent.  They are not without significant blame, IMO.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Against my better judgement, I’m going to half-ass put on my PR hat here and say:  since it was homecoming, the players that they were referencing did not play under the current Commanders banner and they were giving them their due as former actual Redskins players?

maybe?

Edited by stoshuaj

1 hour ago, Lovi said:

I'm sure they went with HTTR because of the fact that it actually involved alumni that were clearly Redskins.  Perhaps trying to appeal to them.  Don't get me wrong I loved it since I still call them that.  But I'm guessing that was their reasoning.

I have no doubt the alumni playing for the Redskins was the reason they said "Hail to the Redskins" which logically makes sense. If this was the Titans welcoming back Warren Moon or something, it's cool. And, as someone who thinks the idea that the old name was ever racist is laughable, I don't find anything wrong with usage yesterday. 

BUT...as an organization, you can't change the name under the logic that it's offensive and times have changed then continue using it to pander to nostalgic fans or alumni when the timing seems right. You don't get to have it both ways and play both sides. Either stand up for the 80-something year-old name and tradition and keep it 2 years ago (weather the PC storm) or change it and move forward. Don't straddle the fence. They seem to always do this. They "keep the colors" but change them just enough to annoy both traditionalists and people wanting change. They "keep the fight song" but change just enough of it so that nobody is happy. 

This organization needs to figure out what it's doing. Are they trying to turn the page, rebrand as the Commanders, and move forward? Or are they tweaking something with a new name but trying to maintain everything else the same? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I have no doubt the alumni playing for the Redskins was the reason they said "Hail to the Redskins" which logically makes sense. If this was the Titans welcoming back Warren Moon or something, it's cool. And, as someone who thinks the idea that the old name was ever racist is laughable, I don't find anything wrong with usage yesterday. 

BUT...as an organization, you can't change the name under the logic that it's offensive and times have changed then continue using it to pander to nostalgic fans or alumni when the timing seems right. You don't get to have it both ways and play both sides. Either stand up for the 80-something year-old name and tradition and keep it 2 years ago (weather the PC storm) or change it and move forward. Don't straddle the fence. They seem to always do this. They "keep the colors" but change them just enough to annoy both traditionalists and people wanting change. They "keep the fight song" but change just enough of it so that nobody is happy. 

This organization needs to figure out what it's doing. Are they trying to turn the page, rebrand as the Commanders, and move forward? Or are they tweaking something with a new name but trying to maintain everything else the same? 

It's puzzling to be sure how they seem to do the wrong thing at every turn.  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time as they say.  But they find a way to piss off everyone and keeping no one happy.  At least cater to SOMETHING!  Ineptitude goes deep here.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

Against my better judgement, I’m going to half-ass put on my PR hat here and say:  since it was homecoming, the players that they were referencing did not play under the current Commanders banner and they were giving them their due as former actual Redskins players?

That would be more believable if they didn't act like the name was insensitive in 2020 when it was financially motivated to say it two years later at a homecoming after a terrible rebrand that no one (outside of some vocal minority of fans on Twitter) liked or wanted.

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

TD, this is one of the absolute best posts I've seen on this board regarding the name change and the organization's response to it.  Very well said.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Redwards said:

Yes.  However, those people do have enough power not to be so ridiculously incompetent.  They are not without significant blame, IMO.  

Do they? We're already at the stage in the Snyder Cycle, where Wright and Rivera have been rumored to not have as much power as it's lead to believe.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lovi said:

It's puzzling to be sure how they seem to do the wrong thing at every turn.  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time as they say.  But they find a way to piss off everyone and keeping no one happy.  At least cater to SOMETHING!  Ineptitude goes deep here.

Exactly...if you pick a stance/direction you will certainly make somebody angry, but there will be some fans who will be happy and passionate. If they had refused to change the name, for example, some people would be PISSED for sure. But they would have absolutely galvanized some fans. This "direction" makes nobody fired up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Couldn't agree more.

The Wizards went too far in their rebrand with respect to ignoring the franchise history up to that point.  They are still a work in progress. During 2020 I was hoping for old 70s games to show what we once were, but instead got current Wizards players playing 2k.

But former Bullets players are all saying the same thing in feeling more genuinely attached to this franchise now then in the immediate years after the name change.  The outreach is real and Ted lead that charge.

At some point the Commanders have to find a better balance between respecting their history and accepting they are no longer the Washington Redskins.

To be fair, I have yet to see anything on NFL Films censoring the name when talking about our history either.  And I don't expect them to.

Edited by Renegade7

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I am currently looking up gullible in the dictionary...

Just because you reminded me- was re-watching some New Girl lately and the other day there was this line I didn't recall: "I am really gullible. I know that because several people have told me so and I have no reason not to believe them."

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Do they? We're already at the stage in the Snyder Cycle, where Wright and Rivera have been rumored to not have as much power as it's lead to believe.

At it often is within circles of power, it's either you have enough power to do what you want, or you don't.

It the latter case, it's up to you to decide to swallow your pride and do your job, or quit.

AFAIK, none of them quit, so they do have their responsability in this mess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

What if Bezos wants to run them like a fantasy team too?? 😐

Can you imagine Bezos introducing himself as the new owner...and as the new GM...and as the new head coach?

My money says he'd do a better job than Lord Farquaad. After all, Bezos has actually had success running a business. Outside of selling a media company at the height of the dotcom boom, Snyder has literally turned every business he's touched into 💩. If the NFL weren't a legally sanctioned money printing monopoly, he'd have long since gone broke. He's as bad a businessman as he is a person.

4 hours ago, stoshuaj said:

I get the local sentiment but before we go too far w the “Jim Irsay is my hero”…….. when the league is being led by Jim frigging Irsay as it’s moral compass (sarcasm intended), that’s a helluva indictment of the league itself.

The NFL owners club is populated almost completely by horrible human beings. That Snyder has found a way to stand out as a social pariah in that group is saying something.

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

That would be more believable if they didn't act like the name was insensitive in 2020 when it was financially motivated to say it two years later at a homecoming after a terrible rebrand that no one (outside of some vocal minority of fans on Twitter) liked or wanted.

In Farquaad's defense, he never wanted to change the team's name. The only reason he did is that the few "fans" that actually mattered to him, i.e. Fedex and other corporate sponsors said it had to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

At it often is within circles of power, it's either you have enough power to do what you want, or you don't.

It the latter case, it's up to you to decide to swallow your pride and do your job, or quit.

AFAIK, none of them quit, so they do have their responsability in this mess.

And to me if you don't quit, or speak out, then you're complicit.  They are certainly not blameless.

• Like 1

Seeing Tonya makes me sick to my stomach. Cringe by association I guess. I’m guessing Dan doesn’t have the guts to show up to a home game?

Just when you think Jason Wright couldn’t look any more incompetent, he does. Whatever they are paying him, it’s a worse contract then WJ3.

I don’t care if they use the name or not. But I hate hearing Redskins uttered from a Snyder mouth, considering they are the ones who ruined ‘the Redskins’.

Good thing the Packers stink this year, otherwise it would’ve been more like 90/10 packer fans. If I go to a game, which I won’t, they’ll have to throw me in jail before I give up my sell the team sign

just to have something positive in my post, I guess I’ll give some credit to Del Rio for the defense starting to play better.

Happy victory Monday everybody!?

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Oh, I agree that they don't have as much power as the masses are supposed to believe.  No question.

However, is Snyder the one physically lifting Redskins players and coaches data from the website and not doing any quality control to see if the data is accurate?  No.   

Snyder definitely ordered a hasty Sean Taylor jersey retirement to try and block out the bad noise, I have no doubt.  HOWEVER, I seriously doubt he went out to the street to try and do quality control to see if the picture the following day wasn't going to be taken in front of port-a-potties.   He wasn't the one in charge of making sure no one danced on the roped-off section around Sean's number on the sidelines.

I also don't know whose job it was to decide how to roll out our name announcement.  It could be Snyder wanted it on GMA or whatever it was on, but I doubt Snyder was the one to order it be Doug - at the moment of truth - to just put his arm around Chase and declare the name, in the most grade school way possible.  Jason had handprints over all of that, especially since talking for two years about how it had to be done right.  

Snyder is the worst and most incompetent owner in sports (maybe in all of sports history), and he's doing much more behind the scenes than we're supposed to believe.  I have ZERO doubt of that.  However, he does not have his hands in every single one of the minute details of quality control that this team fails to utilize for every single roll out.  I see it as there is absolutely no way that Jason W. gets a pass for AT LEAST the quality control.  Snyder may order something done his way - hell, I know he does, lol - but Jason has to pull off the nuts and bolts of the idea.  He's just freaking terrible at it.

Edited by Redwards

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

They want their cake and eat it, too.  They want one foot in both worlds.

Doesn't work that way, and it won't work that way.  It's just a lame and lazy attempt by Snyder to try and cultivate something positive with the fans but he can't see it can't work.  

There's a part of me that wishes they had changed the colors of the team and certainly come up with a name the fans could be proud of.  I understand the fans who wanted to continue with the B&G, but Snyder destroyed this franchise a long, long time before he ever changed the name.  If he had made a clean break, it would be easier to separate what was and what is. 

I don't know...it's just a cluster **** any way you slice it, I guess.  Probably not even worth contemplating further.  Snyder's just dragged all of us straight to hell, and the only way out is the mercy of the NFL owners.  Yech.  

Incompetent people hire incompetent people.

It's true that Snyder didn't take the photo in front of the porta-potties...but he hired someone to take the photos who SHOULD have noticed they were standing in front of porta-potties and SHOULD have suggested a background change. But because they were incompetent, we got porta-potties...

Screen-Shot-2021-10-18-at-10.30.56-PM.pn

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen

5 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Incompetent people hire incompetent people.

It's true that Snyder didn't take the photo in front of the porta-potties...but he hired someone to take the photos who SHOULD have noticed they were standing in front of porta-potties and SHOULD have suggested a background change. But because they were incompetent, we got porta-potties...

Yeah, I think what they could’ve done to handle that better would be to have the photo taken somewhere else, since they already had the Sean Taylor Road sign in their hands. They didn’t need to be standing in front of the actual road sign, by porta potties if they already had a sign with them. 

either that, or place a backdrop by the porta potties prior to the picture so they wouldn’t have been seen. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

22 minutes ago, Redwards said:

However, is Snyder the one physically lifting Redskins players and coaches data from the website and not doing any quality control to see if the data is accurate?  No.

You're not wrong--but there is a reason there have been these kind of gaffes year-in and year-out, no matter who is in "charge."

• Thumb up 1