Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

33 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Maybe.

But Dan being aggressive means he's getting close to his breaking point. Which is good.

I'm quite sure he's not the only one right now. And as much as Congress or Post can do anything official against him, all they can do is annoying him and others with that noise so they reach their breaking point and they do something about it to make it stop.

Dan can do whatever he wants, the Post will ends up getting Dan's head as he's not gonna turn into a saint anytime soon, so they can go on with the noise as long as they want. They'll always find something to put on the public place and annoy Dan and the NFL.

If I had to guess part of why he's losing it, is these attacks clearly are bleeding into the stadium quest.  Some national observers have said if Dan can't pull a stadium that would get the league's attention among other things.

Some here have had some well intentioned disagreements about Dan's cash flow.  @KDawg I think summed it really well in another thread where he suggested don't think of his cash flow in our terms but billionaire terms.   The reason why I am sticking on this point isn't to grate on those that disagree but because I genuinely believe its an X factor in all of this.   Stadium, loan with the NFL -- the owners take on the direction of the franchise, etc. 

In our terms $10,000 is a fortune.  And for Dan that's pocket change.  But I doubt $100 million is pocket change for Dan.  Yes Dan is rich as heck but its not like there is no scale to it where there is no limits.   If Dan is swimming in liquidity and dough -- $300 million should not make or break him which is what Virginia was willing to offer at the end but then pulled out of.  But for the moment it seems to have derailed their efforts.  So I gather 100s of millions indeed does effect Dan's bottom line. 

Heck and even if that's not so. and Dan is stacked with cash and paying 1 to 2 billion out of pocket for a stadium is like nothing for him.   And they indeed are shrugging off the $300 million he still needs to get the counties to approve the zoning of the land even if he pays every dime himself. 

So even without the county and state offering a dime, county officials would still have to expend some political capital to make a deal with Dan.  So Dan's toxicity has some legs that could effect his bottom line.  And every week more elected officals have spoken about Dan's toxicity.   this is new ground in the Dan saga. 

Dan being a douche and a loser has gone national in a way that's beyond anything in the past.  And so many elected officials to this extent talking about it, that's new too.  when Bruce was leading the original incompetent stadium quest there was some rumbilings that Dan's reputation wouldn't help -- but that narrative has ramped up on that front from like 20 MPH to 100 MPH now.

Dan's political toxicity isn't a been there done that, nothing different from years ago as far as filtering to the more mainstream public.  Its in a totally new dimension now.  The sexism part of it wasn't part of Dan's deep past.  It's a new angle piled on to his image.   Granted its been building.  But the cheerleader scandal from years ago didn't really have long legs to the story. 

It may feel differently to us because we've been out on Dan seemingly forever.  But the Dan being a douche-loser has gone mainstream in a big way. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

If you all think Dan is going anywhere ; you’re dreaming. He isn’t going anywhere and I expect him to be more involved. Frankly, I expect to see a return to the early Dan; once the Rivera era ends.

The nfl may decide to remove him but he will fight them tooth and nail.

Agreed.  There are other owners I could see getting booted before him.   Stephen Ross to name one.

If there's no bombshell by the time the season starts, I think Dan survives.

The only way I see the other owners getting rid of Dan is if he impacts their own bottom lines significantly. They may not like the DC market being stuck with a zombie franchise with no support, but it doesn't have a huge impact on their own franchises unless widespread support for the league drops.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

So much for the theory that Dan does not care about the criticism.  

You post this as if Daniel Snyder will win a battle against the NFL should they decide to remove him,

He won't,  

Dan may ultimately lose his battle but you think ; the nfl just votes him

gone and it’s over. Dan may ultimately get the boot but it will be after years  litigation.

Anyone expecting a consistent winner are dreaming. If we have a playoff season this year; we will fall flat in 23 and the next era will start in 24.

If we do get to a point where the nfl is fighting Dan in court , to kick him out; I wouldn’t expect anything from the team during the years the fight goes on. It will take at least a couple of years, if not longer.

I dont think Dan will be voted out by the owners but the studium will be his downfall.  I don't think any politician in Va, MD, or DC will do bussness with him right now.

If he can't get the new stadium he will have to sell the team. He needs to have it nailed down in next year or two. Depending on who he sells to [Bezos] we have a great shot at getting the new stadium in the city.

2 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Agreed.  There are other owners I could see getting booted before him.   Stephen Ross to name one.

For sure some other owners could deserve a boot. And the theory about them not wanting to create a precedent is being correct.

Problem is that most likely the noise will never stop. And that noise will bring more noise on other teams, like with the Watson scandal, Brian Flores, and so on... This will only get worse.

Most owners are not seeing this,but the best move would be to throw Dan out as soon as possible so that noise will go down and put the Commanders on sale. Dan will be petty, but that's a battle they would probably won in the long term.

If they stay put, noise will only but growing, and start growing arouns many other teams were owrkplace can be toxic as well. To a point where you don't have one, but two, three, four, maybe more teams where their owners are depicted in a bad way on national TV, and in the end, that's the whole NFL that is seen as toxic.

It could take a few years, but the NFL will have to evolve, and for this the NFL would have to survive its own owners.

2 hours ago, profusion said:

The only way I see the other owners getting rid of Dan is if he impacts their own bottom lines significantly. They may not like the DC market being stuck with a zombie franchise with no support, but it doesn't have a huge impact on their own franchises unless widespread support for the league drops.

It will have a huge impact on their franchises and on the future of the league if Snyder has to pay for his entire stadium by himself with no taxpayer money at all, setting a rare precedent that will be cheered loudly on a national level. They’re already fighting a progressively tougher battle against public and political opinion to get taxpayer funds in this regard but this would be a huge step back and extremely visible. 

39 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Dan may ultimately lose his battle but you think ; the nfl just votes him

gone and it’s over. Dan may ultimately get the boot but it will be after years  litigation.

Anyone expecting a consistent winner are dreaming. If we have a playoff season this year; we will fall flat in 23 and the next era will start in 24.

If we do get to a point where the nfl is fighting Dan in court , to kick him out; I wouldn’t expect anything from the team during the years the fight goes on. It will take at least a couple of years, if not longer.

Where are you getting this idea that Snyder could fight the other owners in court for his team. It’s a simple vote. The hard part is getting them to the point where they just do it…but they have every right to force another owner to sell if they get enough votes. They don’t need to prove anything or show cause or anything else. It’s an exclusive club and they get to decide who is in it.

Snyder may very well tie them up in litigation over a laundry list of petty related issues over the years following the vote, but as far as I know he has no ability to actually fight and win and keep his team if the other owners vote him out. They have that power, as a league. The reason they don’t choose to ever exercise that power has nothing to do with whether they legally can—they’re protecting themselves by not setting that precedent, that’s all. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Why you want Snyder out but want this story to go away is perplexing.  

No it's not.  

It's simple, and I outlined it before: I don't think he will removed.  I don't think the "accumulation of smoke" is going to amount to anything.  I think the NFL has already punished Dan for everything they know before 2021 when the Wilkinson report came out.  They're not going to go back and re-evaluate the punishment.  It's done.  The post can write as many stories as they want, it's not going to change a thing about Dan's ownership unless there is something new since 2021 when the Wilkinson report came out.  The post story had not one new thing in it.  

He's not going to be removed. I've been through why a bunch of times.  I don't feel like doing it again.  

If there was something new, I'd like to see it.  

There isn't, so I don't care to see it.  It's the same stuff over and over to keep the narrative going, and the narrative has no possible ending of Dan selling the team, so the effect of it simply hurts the actual team on the field.  And that's unfortunate. 

It's my opinion.  As I replied to @Skinsinparadise, maybe I'm just the pessimist and think Dan will be here for as long as he wants to be almost no matter what.  So in that scenario, I just don't care to hear the regurgitation of the same stories that we've heard for months.  It serves no purpose.  If there is something new that will advance getting him removed, fine. But there doesn't seem to be. 

I'm waiting for the MJW report.  If the owners want to remove Dan, that's how they're going to do it.  They'll get something in the MJW report which allows them to do it.  

Nothing so far rises to the level of getting him voted out.  And there's nothing new.  

This is all being orchestrated by Lisa Banks.  The post stories, the congressional inquiry, I swear it's all Banks.  She's trying desperately to get somebody to say something so she can file a $100m civil suit against the Commanders and the NFL.  This isn't about removing Dan.  It's about money.  

If the civil suit results in the NFL dumping Dan, then that would be a great outcome.  Maybe they could negotiate that as part of the settlement.  

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

No it's not.  

It's simple, and I outlined it before: I don't think he will removed.  I don't think the "accumulation of smoke" is going to amount to anything.  I think the NFL has already punished Dan for everything they know before 2021 when the Wilkinson report came out.  They're not going to go back and re-evaluate the punishment.  It's done.  The post can write as many stories as they want, it's not going to change a thing about Dan's ownership unless there is something new since 2021 when the Wilkinson report came out.  The post story had not one new thing in it.  

He's not going to be removed. I've been through why a bunch of times.  I don't feel like doing it again.  

There isn't, so I don't care to see it.  It's the same stuff over and over to keep the narrative going, and the narrative has no possible ending of Dan selling the team, so the effect of it simply hurts the actual team on the field.  And that's unfortunate. 

It's my opinion.  As I replied to @Skinsinparadise, maybe I'm just the pessimist and think Dan will be here for as long as he wants to be almost no matter what.  So in that scenario, I just don't care to hear the regurgitation of the same stories that we've heard for months.  It serves no purpose.  If there is something new that will advance getting him removed, fine. But there doesn't seem to be. 

I'm waiting for the MJW report.  If the owners want to remove Dan, that's how they're going to do it.  They'll get something in the MJW report which allows them to do it.  

Nothing so far rises to the level of getting him voted out.  And there's nothing new.  

This is all being orchestrated by Lisa Banks.  The post stories, the congressional inquiry, I swear it's all Banks.  She's trying desperately to get somebody to say something so she can file a $100m civil suit against the Commanders and the NFL.  This isn't about removing Dan.  It's about money.  

If the civil suit results in the NFL dumping Dan, then that would be a great outcome.  Maybe they could negotiate that as part of the settlement.  

Here’s my conspiracy theory. Almost everything seems to be coming out from the post. A certain someone (Bezos) owns the post. We all know there have been rumors before of Bezos wanting a team and specifically this team. Now Bezos obviously has the money to make Dan some ridiculous offer that he may or may not accept. But why do that when you can try to keep the pressure up to force Dan to sell whether willingly or by NFL forcing it. At that point you only have to be highest bidder vs  having to make crazy offer over market value in hopes that Dan accepts it. Is this theory likely accurate probably not but then again these billionaires play by different rules than we do. 

For all the we are naive and Dan isn't going anywhere and to get over it crowd.  You guys are just guessing just like we are.  No one is right or wrong.  Either side. It has to play out clearly.

As for the optimists.  We aren't alone.  i can think of some previous cynics about Dan isn't ever leaving who now think its a matter of time ala Sheehan, Loverro and others.

Years ago, I was also in the camp that Dan is here for life.  Now, I am not so sure.  

I get those who want to slam people who feel that Dan could be out.   Psych 101- cynicism is mostly driven by protecting yourself from disappointment.  So I get the idea if Dan is here for life and we come to terms with it, then we won't be disappointed if it ends up that way versus hoping otherwise.  I get it.  That's how the script played out so far.  But IMO things are a bit different from years ago.  

Sorry, I am going to remain optimistic for now that we ultimately get rid of the douche.  I don't know if its today or 5 years from now or whenever.  But in the meantime, I am rooting for anything that in my mind hastens his demise.  And even if it doesn't happen, it still makes me happy for him to be pissed about being attacked.  The opposite of love is indifference.  And the dude certainly isn't indifferent about all of this -- clearly at a minimum he's unsettled. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I get that has been the trend.  But you really don't know, and the football side of the operation is being run better than it has been run since Dan brought the team, with a possible exception of when Gibbs was here.  But even then, there was Vinny making ridiculous signings and trades.  

This is the first time since Marty where, on the football side, truly competent people are running the show.  

And if they make the playoffs this year, I doubt very much Dan is going to insert himself.  It certainly doesn't seem like he has, again, on the football side, since Ron was hired.

So, again, I can separate Dan from the team FOR NOW.  I fully acknowledge this could change on a dime, because that has been the trend.  

But it hasn't changed yet.  So, there really is no reason to truly expect the team to just go back and forth right now.  

I'm wait and see.  I think they will win 10+ games this year, and I think they will be better in 2023.  Maybe on this I am an optimist.  On Dan selling the team I'm a pessimist, I don't think it is every going to happen.  On Ron being able to put together back-to-back winning seasons, I'm optimistic.  

And if they win 10+ games this season, even if it's a bad season in 2023, there's probably no way Dan fires him. 

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I get that has been the trend.  But you really don't know, and the football side of the operation is being run better than it has been run since Dan brought the team, with a possible exception of when Gibbs was here.  But even then, there was Vinny making ridiculous signings and trades.  

This is the first time since Marty where, on the football side, truly competent people are running the show.  

And if they make the playoffs this year, I doubt very much Dan is going to insert himself.  It certainly doesn't seem like he has, again, on the football side, since Ron was hired.

So, again, I can separate Dan from the team FOR NOW.  I fully acknowledge this could change on a dime, because that has been the trend.  

But it hasn't changed yet.  So, there really is no reason to truly expect the team to just go back and forth right now.  

I'm wait and see.  I think they will win 10+ games this year, and I think they will be better in 2023.  Maybe on this I am an optimist.  On Dan selling the team I'm a pessimist, I don't think it is every going to happen.  On Ron being able to put together back-to-back winning seasons, I'm optimistic.  

And if they win 10+ games this season, even if it's a bad season in 2023, there's probably no way Dan fires him. 

While I agree with all of this. I think a large part of it is so much simpler while being more difficult at the same time. The simple fact of the matter is this. The franchise has not been able to hit on the qb position. It hasn’t mattered who was running the franchise. Hell even Gibbs passed on Rodgers for Campbell. Simply having a legit franchise qb at any point during Dans tenure probably changes a lot on the field.  But it’s also probably the most difficult position in sports to hit on. Some of that is on Dan some of it is not. Is Wentz a game changer at qb who can win seemingly regardless of the circumstances around him? Obviously not. But I think if given a good roster around him he can be more than adequate 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This team has never had back to back playoff seasons under Dan and I don’t expect that to change under Rivera. 

If we have a playoff season this year; I fully expect us to fall back with that tougher 23 schedule and finish 8-9/7-10. Dan would then make a coaching change after the 23 season. He would take back control and hire Jim Zorn Jr.

Of course, it could happen this year. We crash and burn with Wentz and I think Dan has enough makes a change. Others say no, Dan would let Ron get another chance in 23.

I’d take even a .05% chance that ongoing, never-ending, forever-distracting cumulative smoke eventually gets him voted out over…the 0% chance of the alternative. 

And for the record, I think the chances that this slow death by a million cuts media strategy eventually works are higher than .05%, I just wanted to demonstrate how willing I am to grasp at ANY chance. I don’t care if it takes 20 more years, I’ll take the chance over no chance. My fandom is essentially pointless and futile until then anyways. I’ll take the long shot. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I am a firm believer that if fans constantly showed up at the tailgate and game with "Support the Team, but Owner is Trash" type signage, it will have an effect on the little commander.  I'm sure the Wash Post will love to continue coverage of that.

Just picture it: "Terry is Scary, But Snyder Makes My Skin Crawl!" T-shirts on Sundays.  

:229:The Rook

2 hours ago, The Rook said:

I am a firm believer that if fans constantly showed up at the tailgate and game with "Support the Team, but Owner is Trash" type signage, it will have an effect on the little commander.  I'm sure the Wash Post will love to continue coverage of that.

Just picture it: "Terry is Scary, But Snyder Makes My Skin Crawl!" T-shirts on Sundays.  

Dan would just kick you out if the stadium. Ban u 4 life.

17 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

You think Steven Ross' issues are as wide and long as Daniel Snyder's?  Really?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

No it's not.  

But you are totally ignoring the comments from the owners, they are already counting votes.  One said that everyone (his word) is tired of all the smoke, and that was before their commissioner was forced to appear before Congress and before Snyder very publicly ducked a Congressional subpoena  That was considerably more smoke. Then there is the financial investigation that may or may not provide in the words of one owner "the final nail".  Next we have the inability to get a stadium deal which will have an effect on their bottom line, as has the poor attendance.  I too have been pessimistic and stated a number of times I didn't think he would ever be voted out. But things are ramping up in our direction and you are foolish to wish this story to die.  It's our only hope, 

Posters claim this would set a dangerous president.  Well this would not be a president, again Jerry Richardson was forced to sell based on nothing more than poor behavior.  It is my understanding that the wording in the new Code of Conduct clause or whatever it is called is even more stringent now.  Just because  Richardson volunteered to sell and Snyder probably will not does not change the fact that owners forced another owner out. So it has happened and can again and even if Snyder tries to drag it out in the courts he has no chance of winning.

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

You think Steven Ross' issues are as wide and long as Daniel Snyder's?  Really?

Right. 

Beyond Dan’s lengthy track record of generally being an awful human being and owner, he took one of the most historic franchises in all of sports and plummeted it to what to what it is today.

I know it makes some feel better to play the “they are all bad” and the “there are worse” game, but there’s a variety of reasons Dan is famous for being both repugnant as a human being and a first class loser.  It’s not just one or two things, it’s a whole lot of things both big and small.  His ability to be awful is very complex.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Conn said:

It will have a huge impact on their franchises and on the future of the league if Snyder has to pay for his entire stadium by himself with no taxpayer money at all, setting a rare precedent that will be cheered loudly on a national level. They’re already fighting a progressively tougher battle against public and political opinion to get taxpayer funds in this regard but this would be a huge step back and extremely visible. 

Stan Kroenke already did that in Los Angeles, and it's working out very well.

The current state of affairs seems to be that owners are willing to build out "football destination" developments in wealthy primary markets where they don't need to ask for public money to make the numbers work out the way they want. The rest of the development ends up being at least as profitable than the concrete bowl at the center of it. They're actually better off not letting the government get involved in the financing, since they have more control over the profits and outcomes.

It's secondary markets like Buffalo and St. Louis that are expected to be the chumps that pay the tab for their "NFL Experience", sort of like the monorail huckster in that episode of "The Simpsons."

DC is a primary market. The money here is outrageous, and the right development in the right place could generate vast oceans of profit beyond providing a place for the football to happen.

Right now, it's iffy whether Snyder could even get land-use permission from local governments, let alone public financing. Nobody in this area wants to be associated with his foul odor.

However, I don't think that fact will drive the other owners to vote him out. The precedent and legal complications are too risky as balanced against the relatively low impact of Dan's continued stinkitude on other franchises and the league overall. It's a big deal to *us*, but it's a minor news story to fans in most of the rest of the country, even now. The Commanders have truly become the "Washington Generals"--the patsy opposition no one pays much attention to.

If racism allegations came out, then they'd cut him loose in a heartbeat, but sexist behavior doesn't seem to generate the same level of controversy or risk (and I'm not EVEN going to wade into offering an opinion about that outside the Stadium...)

• Like 2