Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, how do you reopen schools? (Preschool to High School & even College)

88Comrade2000

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I have a couple friends who are teachers and they are terrified. I believe in Shenandoah County the younger kids are going into school four days a week.

Get ready for a huge spike this fall...

Yep here in rural VA they are slowly announcing their plans. One school district announced 2 days a week in school for grades 6+, 4 days in school for K-5. My mom (grade 4 teacher) is inquiring about whether accommodations and/or leave of absence are available. She’s not going to teach in person this year and is preparing for financial hardship if the school district refuses to accommodate her. 

Meanwhile cases in the area are increasing... my buddy was potentially exposed from his brother in law who just tested positive. His kids visited with their grandparents over the weekend and so they are potentially exposed too. Hitting close to home now and it’s only going to get worse. 

• Sad 2

They are touting that 'kids do well' blah blah, but kids have been out of school, lots of kids activities have been cancelled, and they aren't out and about in the same ways they usually are.  I won't be surprised in the least when we find out kids don't do well when they come back to school and even if they don't see the effects adults do, will be bringing it home to their adult parents and family.

Our school system is set to open on Sept. 8th - 5 days a week, all the kids have to wear masks, and there are some other precautions they are taking but I'm just not seeing how this doesn't end up being awful.

• Like 1

Has anyone made a plan for what happens if their kid catches it?  I have a 5 year old in preschool, and a 5 month old at home.  If the 5 year old catches it, I think I am going to bite the bullet and take care of her and, if they don't already have it, let my wife take care of the baby and stay separated, possibly at a hotel.  My 5 year old is pretty great, but that would be a nightmare trying to single parent while both of us are sick. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Has anyone made a plan for what happens if their kid catches it?  I have a 5 year old in preschool, and a 5 month old at home.  If the 5 year old catches it, I think I am going to bite the bullet and take care of her and, if they don't already have it, let my wife take care of the baby and stay separated, possibly at a hotel.  My 5 year old is pretty great, but that would be a nightmare trying to single parent while both of us are sick. 

My wife and I talked about it but failed to come up with an answer. We actually only had one of us go to our son’s 1 year old Dr appt specifically to try to avoid us both getting sick simultaneously. We’ve got three kids age 1-4 and have no clue what we’d do if we were both incapacitated at the same time. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yeah. The sick individuals go into our master bedroom. There is a bathroom there and we will isolate them as much as possible. The one piece of advice I've seen was from an NYC ICU (cornell medical center) doctor at the start of this that, fortunately, the same protocol applies. Distancing, masks, hand sanitation, don't touch your face applies—since we need to work from the assumption that everyone is sock. Our eldest can probably handle it. The other two, will need more care.

That applies if one of us gets it too. The worst case scenario is if both of us get it at the same time. Who takes our kids? Who would want to because they are probably positive at that point. That's what scares me.

There was a This American Life episode about this exact thing. It was heart breaking. Both parents were down with COVID. They had a toddler. They couldn't even leave their apartment to do laundry and had to handwash laundry in the bathtub, but eventually that became impossible to do because they were both too weak. I think they both made it through, but it was brutal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Some school districts get it there's no point in trying on campus knowing that option will eventually get shut down as this gets worse.

It's a ****-sandwich, but if saving lives isn't the most important part of this conversation, we are lost.

This idea that teachers signed up to be teachers so signed up for in person classes during an out of control pandemic is just wrong.  

We are treating our heroes and essential workers like **** right now, what is the acceptable body count here?  Apparently for some folks it's don't count it, is what it is.  This will wash through and just disappear at some point...no, our teachers will, and we already have a shortage.

What we should do is based on us doing the right thing in the first place, why Europe can have on campus now and we cant. It's over, our government f'd up now we all gonna have to take the L for it.  Please remember that this November.

• Like 4

I completely agree that the administration Snyder'd the handling of the pandemic. 

certain logistical things would've been handled better by a competent executive, like testing, tracing, messaging a 6-month, 12-month plan for reopening business and schools. BUT every GOP governor, the republican legislators would've fought against everything tooth and nail still. I wonder if we'd still be in a similar **** show in the dumb states. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

I completely agree that the administration Snyder'd the handling of the pandemic. 

certain logistical things would've been handled better by a competent executive, like testing, tracing, messaging a 6-month, 12-month plan for reopening business and schools. BUT every GOP governor, the republican legislators would've fought against everything tooth and nail still. I wonder if we'd still be in a similar **** show in the dumb states. 

It would've been ugly, but we wouldn't have as many kids that are going to have to get redshirted because the infrastructure isn't there for full online.

It is fair to link not being able to go back to work to schools not being reopened.  We stayed home for months waiting for them untie us from the train tracks while they went to get help and never came back.  Trains still coming...

• Sad 1

Ren's post is spot on. 

Ive gathered good insight here. I already mentioned my plan above. 

The data from other countries looks promising for kids in school, but most of these places have the virus in check. 

We've learned a ton in 4 months about this virus. Let's buy ourselves 4 more months. HOPEFULLY, get a good executive in place. Vaccines are coming on line by fall (optimistically). They are not a knockout punch but we're chipping away.

Even if Biden wins, the problem just shifts. Red states will continue to fight. Antivaxxers will be our new enemies. Leading candidate, Oxford vaccine, has been in development for over a decade (they replaced the SARS spike protein with COVID's spike protein).

• Like 1

Waiting to hear the plan here in Upstate NY.

I swear our Govenor is basically trying to make us our own country with a border patrol...this **** keeps up I expect to hear him say we're building a wall.

We're upto 22 states that are "banned" states.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Waiting to hear the plan here in Upstate NY.

I swear our Govenor is basically trying to make us our own country with a border patrol...this **** keeps up I expect to hear him say we're building a wall.

We're upto 22 states that are "banned" states.

What is the scene up there?  My family has a cottage on one of the Finger Lakes, we are thinking about moving operations up there for a bit.  

44 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

What is the scene up there?  My family has a cottage on one of the Finger Lakes, we are thinking about moving operations up there for a bit.  

I'm not 100% sure what that area is like, but NY in general is low with things under control. Especially in the Upstate area. For the most part we all follow the law. 

If you do come up here, and are from 1 of the 22 listed states, you will have to quarantine for 14 days. The governor is trying to tighten the rules on out of state visitors.

3 minutes ago, Xameil said:

I'm not 100% sure what that area is like, but NY in general is low with things under control. Especially in the Upstate area. For the most part we all follow the law. 

If you do come up here, and are from 1 of the 22 listed states, you will have to quarantine for 14 days. The governor is trying to tighten the rules on out of state visitors.

Virginia isn't on the list.  Thanks for the info.  

• Like 1