Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dexter Manley is "deathly sick" according to Darryl Grant (via RedskinsToday) ; He's Back !

On 5/24/2020 at 2:00 AM, BTBIRD 227 said:

Wow. sorry to hear about Dexter struck down by the Corona virus and glad to hear Dexter is battling back from the virus, a true warrior.

I remember running  in to Dexter back in the day circa 1980's at Rick "Doc" Walkers  restaurant in Fairfax city,Va. Really cool dude.

Hail

Bro, language, seriously.

When someone is "struck down", that means that person was killed.

10 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I always felt like Dexter never got his due because he played in the era of Lawrence Taylor but at his peak Dexter Manley was the best Redskins pass rusher i have ever seen in my 40+ years

You know, initially I disagreed with you, kinda, as I felt he had a shorter elite window due to the cocaine issues, but as I looked through his reference page, I noticed that I was just wrong, he had basically a 9 year prime, which is a reasonably long prime, so its probably more accurate to say that probably the biggest reason he's lesser known is that he earned his bones on less glitzy, less famous redskins teams, while both LT and those great Giant Defenses, as well as the famed Bears 46 Defense, and even the Niners super elite defense were also wreaking havoc on teams and getting more pub while doing it. 

If you look at the sacks per game rate, it's actually pretty damn impressive:

1982: 9.5 sacks in 13 games.

1983: 12 sacks in 19 games

1984: 14.5 sacks in 16 games

1985: 15 sacks in 15 games

1986: 18.5 sacks in 19 games

1987: 11.5 sacks in 14 games

1988: 9 sacks in 16 games

1989: 9 sacks in 10 games

99 sacks in 122 games (Including playoff games) puts him at .81 sacks per game during that '82-'89 time period. LT averaged .80 sacks per game between '82-'89 with 110 sacks in 137 games. 

Okay, color me shocked, lol. Basically LT was a healthier player than Dexter, or just started more games, had greater longevity etc, but basically they were nearly identical in pass rushing sack producing when they were available for starts. Even in the playoffs they were quite similar, both even went snake eyes in the '86 playoffs for instance and generally saw their sack production decline to a bit above .50 sacks per game against the tougher competition. 

It's always fun to start writing a post in disagreement and then find yourself agreeing by the end. After looking at their careers, I'm honestly befuddled. Why isn't Dexter a HOF candidate? He has the #'s, AND he has the moments, playing the key defensive role to Riggins offensive role in XVII, and playing a big role in the '87 super bowl run (3 sacks a piece in those two super bowl playoff runs, oddly, Taylor also peaked at 3 sacks in his best playoff run, doing it only once (compared to twice for Dexter) in the '84 run that was stopped cold by that classic '84 Niners team. 

Wow. I'm kinda stunned. I was always disappointed as I thought he could've done more, but honestly, for a guy who grew up illiterate and had an on again off again fight with coke just like LT and seemingly every other athlete in the eighties, his accomplishments are just stellar. He's always been a guy I loved, because of those picture perfect moments against Woodley and Elway's Broncos five years later and for that "We're coming back, we're gonna do it" statement to sideline camera's just as the epic comeback started against the Donkey's in XXII, but wow, if you dig into the numbers, it is odd, why is Manley absent the hall of fame? Would he be in if he'd registered 100 sacks? During his true prime, '82-'87, he was every bit as dominant in LT (or perhaps damn close to as dominant) so why no Dexter in the hall? Shorter career? Well, that's true, guys like Dent and LT played for another 3-5 productive years after Manley's career stalled out and ended, but he still played 100+ games, registered just under 100 sacks, had two epic playoff runs, and 8 sacks in 14 playoff games (LT had 8 in 15 games). 

Looking at Dent's career, he played longer, 14 seasons, and he was productive a bit longer than LT and Manley (basically elite to good for 11 seasons compared to about 10 for LT, and about 8 for Manley) but it does need to be noted how much of Dent's production was directly linked to the Bears 46 Defense. He registered an astonishing 9 sacks in his first 6 playoff games with Buddy Ryan's Bears, and after that he could only muster 1.5 in his final 7 playoff appearances without Ryan (worth noting he played sparingly in 2 of the 7 at the tail end of his career). I don't begrudge Dent, or LT, LT has rightfully been regarded as the most impactful defensive player EVER, while Dent is a flat out classic Hall of Fame caliber DE. But when you look at Manley compared to these guys, he flat out measures up. I suppose it's all the negative attention, the cocaine issues, weird behavior, the tail off of his career, that hurts him more than anything, but when you dig into his history, he is a Hall of Fame caliber player. If some guys have made the hall with 5-7 seasons of elite play, well, Manley's 1982-1989 track record is superb, and better than most of the guys in the hall with similar short productive periods to their careers. 

On 5/30/2020 at 1:17 AM, The Consigliere said:

You know, initially I disagreed with you, kinda, as I felt he had a shorter elite window due to the cocaine issues, but as I looked through his reference page, I noticed that I was just wrong, he had basically a 9 year prime, which is a reasonably long prime, so its probably more accurate to say that probably the biggest reason he's lesser known is that he earned his bones on less glitzy, less famous redskins teams, while both LT and those great Giant Defenses, as well as the famed Bears 46 Defense, and even the Niners super elite defense were also wreaking havoc on teams and getting more pub while doing it. 

If you look at the sacks per game rate, it's actually pretty damn impressive:

1982: 9.5 sacks in 13 games.

1983: 12 sacks in 19 games

1984: 14.5 sacks in 16 games

1985: 15 sacks in 15 games

1986: 18.5 sacks in 19 games

1987: 11.5 sacks in 14 games

1988: 9 sacks in 16 games

1989: 9 sacks in 10 games

99 sacks in 122 games (Including playoff games) puts him at .81 sacks per game during that '82-'89 time period. LT averaged .80 sacks per game between '82-'89 with 110 sacks in 137 games. 

Okay, color me shocked, lol. Basically LT was a healthier player than Dexter, or just started more games, had greater longevity etc, but basically they were nearly identical in pass rushing sack producing when they were available for starts. Even in the playoffs they were quite similar, both even went snake eyes in the '86 playoffs for instance and generally saw their sack production decline to a bit above .50 sacks per game against the tougher competition. 

It's always fun to start writing a post in disagreement and then find yourself agreeing by the end. After looking at their careers, I'm honestly befuddled. Why isn't Dexter a HOF candidate? He has the #'s, AND he has the moments, playing the key defensive role to Riggins offensive role in XVII, and playing a big role in the '87 super bowl run (3 sacks a piece in those two super bowl playoff runs, oddly, Taylor also peaked at 3 sacks in his best playoff run, doing it only once (compared to twice for Dexter) in the '84 run that was stopped cold by that classic '84 Niners team. 

Wow. I'm kinda stunned. I was always disappointed as I thought he could've done more, but honestly, for a guy who grew up illiterate and had an on again off again fight with coke just like LT and seemingly every other athlete in the eighties, his accomplishments are just stellar. He's always been a guy I loved, because of those picture perfect moments against Woodley and Elway's Broncos five years later and for that "We're coming back, we're gonna do it" statement to sideline camera's just as the epic comeback started against the Donkey's in XXII, but wow, if you dig into the numbers, it is odd, why is Manley absent the hall of fame? Would he be in if he'd registered 100 sacks? During his true prime, '82-'87, he was every bit as dominant in LT (or perhaps damn close to as dominant) so why no Dexter in the hall? Shorter career? Well, that's true, guys like Dent and LT played for another 3-5 productive years after Manley's career stalled out and ended, but he still played 100+ games, registered just under 100 sacks, had two epic playoff runs, and 8 sacks in 14 playoff games (LT had 8 in 15 games). 

Looking at Dent's career, he played longer, 14 seasons, and he was productive a bit longer than LT and Manley (basically elite to good for 11 seasons compared to about 10 for LT, and about 8 for Manley) but it does need to be noted how much of Dent's production was directly linked to the Bears 46 Defense. He registered an astonishing 9 sacks in his first 6 playoff games with Buddy Ryan's Bears, and after that he could only muster 1.5 in his final 7 playoff appearances without Ryan (worth noting he played sparingly in 2 of the 7 at the tail end of his career). I don't begrudge Dent, or LT, LT has rightfully been regarded as the most impactful defensive player EVER, while Dent is a flat out classic Hall of Fame caliber DE. But when you look at Manley compared to these guys, he flat out measures up. I suppose it's all the negative attention, the cocaine issues, weird behavior, the tail off of his career, that hurts him more than anything, but when you dig into his history, he is a Hall of Fame caliber player. If some guys have made the hall with 5-7 seasons of elite play, well, Manley's 1982-1989 track record is superb, and better than most of the guys in the hall with similar short productive periods to their careers. 

WOW Impressive write up and great read, thank you. What those numbers really don't show though is the constant pressure he applied , the double teams and just Dexter being Dexter and his on field presence. Like i said the best Washington Redskins pass rusher i have ever seen play. Respect Dexter , D Line REDSKINS GOAT

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 6:57 AM, NewCliche21 said:

Bro, language, seriously.

When someone is "struck down", that means that person was killed.

Sorry I am not politically correct in my usage of "Struck Down" in regards to Dexter Manley' s  battle  with the Covid 19 . I was just expressing my concern for Dexter Manley.

https://sports.yahoo.com/dexter-manley-recovered-covid-19-215956339.html

Dexter Manley has recovered from COVID-19

f72ec760-04f8-11ea-a7f8-e8aaae9ced4b
Charean Williams
ProFootball Talk on NBC SportsJun 17, 2020, 5:59 PM

Former Washington defensive lineman Dexter Manley announced in a video he is recovered from COVID-19.

Manley posted the message on social media Wednesday.

“I want to let all the fans know I appreciated your concerns, the letters, the phone calls,” Manley said. “I’m back, and you can’t keep a good man down.”

Manley, 61, tested positive for the coronavirus in May.

He urged everyone to take precautions.

“Coronavirus is no joke. Take it seriously,” Manley said. “We want everybody to be smart. If you don’t feel well, get tested.”

Manley made 91 sacks in 125 games with Washington. He also spent time with the Phoenix Cardinals and Bucs, retiring after the 1991 season.

Dexter Manley has recovered from COVID-19 originally appeared on Pro Football Talk

Archived