Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

22 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I agree that that would be ideal. It would mean our foundation is solid, but most importantly, probably that we have the right guy at QB. If we have the right guy at QB, this DL, and a WR1, that's all the nucleus you need for sustained success. You can get the other pieces. I'll add that if we are exciting and look good and have a QB, it will help us immensely in FA.

Dallas getting Lamb makes me wish we'd signed Cooper away from them.  

I don't mind our WR corps.  The more I watch of AGG, the more I like him.  I like that it's an inexpensive part of the team, because I think it's going to allow us to keep Scherff and all of our defensive linemen.

Just as important as Haskins solidifying himself as our quarterback is Rivera/Turner showing an early return.  We desperately need some organizational stability, and that's the best way to get it.  In Rivera's first season in Carolina, they went from 2 wins to 6 wins.  Then seven, then a pretty spectacular improvement to 12.  I am really hoping we can win at least six games this year, then make a big jump next season.  It would put every thing on solid ground, whereas if we have another 3 or 4 win season, it will cast Rivera's future here in doubt right out of the gate.

• Like 2

Robert Hainsey, RT, 6-4, 291. 

He plays much bigger than his size, in both the positive connotation and the negative. Stronger than he should be, slower than he should be. 

He has a little bit of a mean streak in him. He has pretty good and active hands. He hand fights with defenders well, getting their hands off of him so he can get into their bodies and win an advantage. Has a pretty good anchor in pass protection. For the most part he gets his body in good position on blocks. When he loses, he loses because of his feet. They aren't moving well enough or quick enough. When his feet are on point, so is he. He leaves his feet "plugged in" to the Earth a bit too often, though. 

My Grade: 6.385

Landon Young. 6-7, 305. LT.

He's a "get to the Point of Attack" blocker. With the Kentucky offense, the linemen can be made to look silly at times. He walls off defenders to the attack point fairly well. Plays within his base and is fairly aware of where the ball is supposed to go. He had a few moments of standing around, in more than one game I've seen of him, where he looks extremely confused. Probably in large part due to the way the offense was set up and the fact the ball didn't always go where it was supposed to go. 

He eats defenders once he gets into them. Doesn't maul them. Doesn't dominate them. But he swallows them if he gets his hands on and gets his feet running. Though there's a few plays on this film where he puts the defenders square on their asses. He's good at second level cut offs as well, doing a fairly good job at staying in correct angle pursuit and one hand stabbing. 

My Grade: 6.95

Rasheed Walker. LT. RS-Soph. 6-5, 280.

Smallest tackle evaluated so far. 280 is tiny in terms of OT weight in the NFL. 

He moves VERY well. Very quick twitch. Fast hands, running feet. Good body position. Takes defenders where they want to go. Redirects well. Climbs to the second level with anticipation and authority and gets into his blocks.

He is the definition of a developmental tackle prospect. He can move guys, move well, very active. Fairly light feet. 

At times he can be lulled to sleep and caught with a push/pull technique, but for the most part does a good job maintaining his blocks and keeping his guys clean. 

My Grade: 8.05

Offensive Tackle Pre-Season Ratings:

image.png.36a6eb93a58e3484425e5e50fc4467b0.png

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

If Haskins performs well, but we still end up with the #2 overall pick, we could be facing a similar dilemma we faced this year.  Trade back and possibly miss out on Sewell, or take the best non-QB in the draft.  You'll still also likely get some of the fanbase wanting to replace Haskins. 

Like @stevemcqueen1, I'm also hoping a playoff run this year ensures that situation never comes to pass.

With all the talent we have on defense, plus a competent defensive coaching staff, I have a hard time seeing us with a top 3 pick if Haskins is even decent this season. Hell, he could be mediocre to bad and if our defense lives up to its potential we could still eek out 2-3 extra wins just based on their play.

The only way I see us having #2 next draft is if Haskins truly busts and we also have some major injuries on defense. I don't see us in the Lawrence sweepstakes at all. I'd LOVE to get Sewell but I think, barring injuries or something, he'll be a lock at #2 and we're not likely to be there unless we move up. 

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

With all the talent we have on defense, plus a competent defensive coaching staff, I have a hard time seeing us with a top 3 pick if Haskins is even decent this season. Hell, he could be mediocre to bad and if our defense lives up to its potential we could still eek out 2-3 extra wins just based on their play.

The only way I see us having #2 next draft is if Haskins truly busts and we also have some major injuries on defense. I don't see us in the Lawrence sweepstakes at all. I'd LOVE to get Sewell but I think, barring injuries or something, he'll be a lock at #2 and we're not likely to be there unless we move up. 

I see your point, but stranger things have happened.  There could be a situation where Haskins performs very well for 7 games or so (and we win 4), but then he gets injured for the season and we lose out due to injuries on defense and a sub-par QB.  Or a situation where Haskins plays well all season but the ball just doesn't bounce our way for whatever reason (missed field goals on game-winning attempts, extremely high number of fumbles from our skill position players, etc.) and we have a high amount of one score losses (I believe there was a team that had 10 in one season a few years back).  

So here's a question. Say that Haskins starts out the first 4-5 games of the season and looks like an absolute top 3 QB stud, but we still lose at least few of those due to bad bounces (it can happen, like @HTTRDynastynoted) or because we've had early injuries to key players on both sides of the ball. But then Haskins has an injury which isn't awful and he's expected to fully recover from, but that ends his season. We then basically lose out the rest of the season due to bad QB play and injuries, etc. and end up with the #1 pick. 

Do you keep Haskins and look to get an enormous draft haul for the #1 pick or do you snag Lawrence and try to deal Haskins? Lawrence is a far superior prospect coming out of college obviously, but at the same time Haskins was looking like a legit All-Pro before his injury. Then you'd have to worry about his injury...event though it wasn't too bad it's still a season ending one that he'll have to come back from.

Or do you stay where you are and take Sewell who has the makings of an All-Pro LT?

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So here's a question. Say that Haskins starts out the first 4-5 games of the season and looks like an absolute top 3 QB stud, but we still lose at least few of those due to bad bounces (it can happen, like @HTTRDynastynoted) or because we've had early injuries to key players on both sides of the ball. But then Haskins has an injury which isn't awful and he's expected to fully recover from, but that ends his season. We then basically lose out the rest of the season due to bad QB play and injuries, etc. and end up with the #1 pick. 

Do you keep Haskins and look to get an enormous draft haul for the #1 pick or do you snag Lawrence and try to deal Haskins? Lawrence is a far superior prospect coming out of college obviously, but at the same time Haskins was looking like a legit All-Pro before his injury. Then you'd have to worry about his injury...event though it wasn't too bad it's still a season ending one that he'll have to come back from.

Or do you stay where you are and take Sewell who has the makings of an All-Pro LT?

I would probably take Lawrence in that situation.  It would probably be a different story if it's 8-10 games of top 3 QB play and we still somehow ended up with the #1 overall pick.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I would probably take Lawrence in that situation.  It would probably be a different story if it's 8-10 games of top 3 QB play and we still somehow ended up with the #1 overall pick.

Fair point. I said 4-5 games because I couldn't imagine a QB playing at an All-Pro / top 3 level for 8-10 games and the team still somehow getting the #1 overall pick. It would be a tough call for me as well, but with only 4-5 games I'd probably go with Lawrence as well. But some of that would also depend on what we could get for Haskins. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Fair point. I said 4-5 games because I couldn't imagine a QB playing at an All-Pro / top 3 level for 8-10 games and the team still somehow getting the #1 overall pick. It would be a tough call for me as well, but with only 4-5 games I'd probably go with Lawrence as well. But some of that would also depend on what we could get for Haskins. 

Yeah.  If the scenario was 4-5 games at an All-Pro level but the QB prospect was Burrow, I would stick with Haskins in a heartbeat.  But Lawrence is... something else. 

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't mind our WR corps.  The more I watch of AGG, the more I like him.  I like that it's an inexpensive part of the team, because I think it's going to allow us to keep Scherff and all of our defensive linemen.

Just as important as Haskins solidifying himself as our quarterback is Rivera/Turner showing an early return.  We desperately need some organizational stability, and that's the best way to get it.  In Rivera's first season in Carolina, they went from 2 wins to 6 wins.  Then seven, then a pretty spectacular improvement to 12.  I am really hoping we can win at least six games this year, then make a big jump next season.  It would put every thing on solid ground, whereas if we have another 3 or 4 win season, it will cast Rivera's future here in doubt right out of the gate.

I normally would agree with you but this isn't a normal year as you know. DH may not even start at QB because of his lack of being able to really get enough reps in the new offense and ditto for the rest of the guys. I also think our skill guys on offense and even our offensive line are gonna take time to get comfortable in this new system. Lots of young kids are gonna get baptism by fire and they're likely not gonna have the typical practice reps to prepare them for showtime. All that being said, we are gonna be way behind the veteran teams like the Niners, Saints, Vikings, Eagles, Cowboys, Seattle, Rams and other NFC opponents so I think RR gets a virtual free pass in 2020 if teams don't get the practice time they need. 

2. Washington Redskins: Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon

Sewell was crowned as an elite prospect almost as fast as Trevor Lawrence was at quarterback, but like the Clemson signal caller, there are still technique and consistency issues to be worked out. Sewell’s physical and athletic tools for the position are rare though, and his peak plays are among the best you’ll see in an offensive tackle

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

Trey Smith. LG. #73. 6-6, 320. 

Nasty punch and plays to the whistle. Gets into defenders very well and finishes plays and looks for work. Good base. Strong guy. 

@1:10 in the attached video he comes off the ball, chips a down DL and moves him off the LOS (again, on a chip) and climbs the ladder to level 2 to block a flowing backer. That's a beautiful play. 

He seems to be a better run blocker than pass protector. As a run blocker he is a mauling interior OL that gets hands on and grizzly bears you. As a pass protector he has a slow power step to the interior gap. That leads to him sometimes over correcting for his mistake and lunging and missing. He is decent with his kick step in pass protection. More than adequate to a tight outside rusher. His strength in pass protection is when someone tries to bull rush. He gets in them and locks them down very well. I'd like to see him more actively swiping interior DL's hands away as well.

My Grade: 7.825

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 4

The early take on next year's draft class is that it will be very talented at our biggest potential positions of need.

OT --- WR ---- LB --- CB

WR: Jamarr Chase, Jaylen Waddle, Justyn Ross, Devonta Smith, Rondale Moore

OT: Penei Sewell, Alex Leatherwood, Sam Cosmi, Walker Little

CB: Patrick Surtain II, Shaun Wade

LB: Micah Parson, Dylan Moses

These names are all over the Top 20 Big Boards for 2021. Outside of the 3 QBs and the DE from Miami, these are the players filling out those lists. All of these are positions of need for us. And even if we have a good year and pick, say, #18 ... it looks like there could be some top-end talent available to us, especially at WR (if this year's any indication, hard to see one of those top 5 WRs NOT falling to Picks 20-25).

Of course the caveat here is most of these lists from this time last year had Nick Coe in the Top 25 and he just went undrafted.

• Like 2

Imagine if we had that extra first rounder?  I missed the Rivera interview this morning in 980.   Doc Walker said Rivera's description of what he wants in his QB doesn't fit what he's seen about Haskins' personality at least thus far.  To quote Doc saying the dude that Rivera described that he wants doesn't exist in Dwayme now but it develops.  I got no idea what he's talking about but I guess I got to listen to the interview.  I still don't think Kyle Allen starts. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

2. Washington Redskins: Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon

Sewell was crowned as an elite prospect almost as fast as Trevor Lawrence was at quarterback, but like the Clemson signal caller, there are still technique and consistency issues to be worked out. Sewell’s physical and athletic tools for the position are rare though, and his peak plays are among the best you’ll see in an offensive tackle

I'd LOVE to land Sewell. But Lawrence going 7th overall?  :ols:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The fact that we're left without a first rounder that we could have had for Williams makes my head hurt.

And I bet it was #10.

Jedrick Wills. CeeDee Lamb. Jerry Jeudy. Tristan Wirfs.

Could have had a star WR in Lamb. Instead he landed in Dallas damnit and we got Ismael

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The early take on next year's draft class is that it will be very talented at our biggest potential positions of need.

OT --- WR ---- LB --- CB

WR: Jamarr Chase, Jaylen Waddle, Justyn Ross, Devonta Smith, Rondale Moore

OT: Penei Sewell, Alex Leatherwood, Sam Cosmi, Walker Little

CB: Patrick Surtain II, Shaun Wade

LB: Micah Parson, Dylan Moses

These names are all over the Top 20 Big Boards for 2021. Outside of the 3 QBs and the DE from Miami, these are the players filling out those lists. All of these are positions of need for us. And even if we have a good year and pick, say, #18 ... it looks like there could be some top-end talent available to us, especially at WR (if this year's any indication, hard to see one of those top 5 WRs NOT falling to Picks 20-25).

Of course the caveat here is most of these lists from this time last year had Nick Coe in the Top 25 and he just went undrafted.

I'm really intrigued to see how and where Charles plays this year. It he works out at LT I would live to see them come out of the draft with a RT, FS, CB and LB...prefer a ILB stud. 

Surtain is just incredible and Moses is absolutely loaded with potential. The are the two players I most look forward to watching in college ball this year

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

The fact that we're left without a first rounder that we could have had for Williams makes my head hurt.

And I bet it was #10.

Jedrick Wills. CeeDee Lamb. Jerry Jeudy. Tristan Wirfs.

Those are the type of decisions that have made this organization a loser and Bruce was the lead clown of this team's demise.  He'd rather spite Trent than have Wills or Ceedee Lamb.    And that narrative makes me 100% believe Mike Jones story when he said he talked to Kyle Shanahan the year they had the 2nd pick in the draft and Kyle told him that he was willing to give that up for Kirk but Bruce-Dan refused to deal him to SF because they don't like him (Kyle). 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Those are the type of decisions that have made this organization a loser and Bruce was the lead clown of this team's demise.  He'd rather spite Trent than have Wills or Ceedee Lamb.    And that narrative makes me 100% believe Mike Jones story when he said he talked to Kyle Shanahan the year they had the 2nd pick in the draft and Kyle told him that he was willing to give that up for Kirk but Bruce-Dan refused to deal him to SF because they don't like him (Kyle). 

Nick Bosa + possibly Chase Young (nothing saying our D would have been any better last year and driven us to more wins with Bosa when he would have been misused). + Wills or Lamb. 

Why do you guys keep bringing this up and getting me all frustrated?!

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Nick Bosa + possibly Chase Young (nothing saying our D would have been any better last year and driven us to more wins with Bosa when he would have been misused). + Wills or Lamb. 

Why do you guys keep bringing this up and getting me all frustrated?!

LOL, I see HCZ set up a twitter account to spoof mainly my frustration with Bruce.    HCZ is a buffoon and was obsessed with three people who post here, me among them, so lol this one takes the cake.  😀   He had an odd obsession defending Bruce while swearing he doesn't like him.  But I'll give him one point, I got to let it go.  He's gone.

As some say, the Trent move was Bruce's final act.  Finally we got adults running this ship. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

LOL, I see HCZ set up a twitter account to spoof mainly my frustration with Bruce.    HCZ is a buffoon and was obsessed with three people who post here, me among them, so lol this one takes the cake.  😀   He had an odd obsession defending Bruce while swearing he doesn't like him.  But I'll give him one point, I got to let it go.  He's gone.

As some say, the Trent move was Bruce's final act.  Finally we got adults running this ship. 

Who is HCZ? Is he SDH and JHC's backup? A relative of AGG, perhaps?

Never heard of HCZ. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Who is HCZ? Is he SDH and JHC's backup? A relative of AGG, perhaps?

Never heard of HCZ. 

LOL, Hardcore Zorn.  He's been obsessed with three people on this board, me among them.  His other obsession was Bruce Allen and hence his obsession with the three of us since we were arguably his loudest critics.  So it's not been good times for him -- he's not on the board anymore so I'd presume its VERY painful for him to read posts skewering the dude and he can't defend him. 

But whatever.  😀   Bruce fortunately is now just a memory.  Trent was the final act.  We got some good people running this organization IMO for a change.

I see he was trying to get Keim and Standig stirred up.  I like both dudes a lot.  I was just saying Rivera wasn't alone in saying they could have gotten a first for him and I'd figure since he's in the building he would know.   

But on to bigger and much better 😀

• Like 4