Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

yeah I think that’s the whole premise of the supp draft to be honest.

That's true. But has there ever really been a plethora of high-level talents? Most of the time you see guys going in the 5th to 7th round because they're seen as risky, usually due to the circumstances of them entering the supplemental to begin with. Josh Gordon went for a 2nd back in the day, but I can't think of a time when there were unanimous, multiple high-level players worthy of high round picks. I would think the NFL would feel the need to adjust on the fly a bit if you are correct in the way it is currently setup. At least update it per round.

Skins could put a R2 on Leatherwood. But if someone grabs him with a 1st rounder, I think it would at least make sense to re-set so that teams can re-submit in the 2nd round.

As a fan though, I would be pretty peeved if I put in Leatherwood over Devonta Smith in R2 and the Bengals took him one spot ahead of us, letting Smith go to a team like the Giants who maybe put a R2 in on him anticipating that we would likely put down Leatherwood.

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

You put in a first bid if you want to lose a first bid in the 2021 Draft.

Whatever you bid, if you're awarded the player, you lose in the next NFL Draft. 

Player eligibility is also a bit of a question. You're only eligible if your status changed for eligibility between the NFL Draft declaration deadline and the Supplemental.

The NFL could allow for the coronavirus to give players an exemption, but then they crush next year's draft.

Having said that, if Leatherwood were to be able to declare, and did, I put in a 2 on him. One is too hefty with the talent in the first round, especially if we wind up picking there. 

Anyone you currently are very confident will have a 1st round grade should merit the 2d (as 2d and 3d picks next year will lose the most value of any round if there is no college season).

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 2

This was my eureka moment on Penei Sewell after the first time I really sat down and watched him specifically: 

The discussion that ensued between me and @volsmet was amusing--and prescient--in hindsight.  I mistakenly thought he was short for an OT despite the fact he's 6'6.  I hadn't looked at his listing and, in my defense, Sewell has an odd stoop to his build, without much of a neck or shoulder slope typical for big guys, and he's paunchy and very high cut with absolutely massive legs.  The effect is that he looks shorter than he really is out there on the field.  But then you see him standing next to Mario Cristobal in interviews and he's markedly bigger than him.

But the funniest part is the snapshot that proves walterfootball had a laughably stupid 5th-7th round projection on him at the time 😂.

He of course went on to demonstrate that he was, head and shoulders, the best offensive lineman in college football in at least a decade and win the Outland as a true sophomore.  I was too young to remember watching Walter Jones and Orlando Pace play in college, but legends abound.  I've got to think it was something like watching Sewell play.  He's got a real shot at going #1 this year.  The only two OLs who've gone #1 since Pace were Eric Fisher and Jake Long, but there were no first round-worthy QBs in 2013 and '08 was a weird year, the Dolphins were inept, and they clearly should have drafted Matt Ryan in hindsight.  Sewell could legitimately end up being the best OL prospect since Pace in '97 and get picked ahead of an unusually strong QB prospect in Trevor Lawrence.  He's a better player than Lawrence and has better film.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Question, if Charles is very good this year, but we are in a position to draft Sewell next year, do you draft Sewell and move Charles to RT? Does Charles have the ability to play on the right? Sewell looks like he'd be a beast on either side. 

• Like 2

On 5/2/2020 at 12:03 PM, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Lets say haskins sucks this coming year but has again flashed his potential. Gotten better than last year but not spectacular. Yet also our LT is abysmal and gives up many pressures/sacks...given number 1 in draft do you take Lawrence or sewell?

I would take Lawrence, no question.

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2020 at 1:48 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

Pretty interesting.

EXBUjqNXsAAUoQZ?format=png&name=4096x409

Saw this morning on PFT that only 50% of the top 10 from 2017 got their 5th year exercised.  That's crazy scary!  

Meanwhile, your chart show why it's such a big deal to have 2nd round picks every year.

Brevin Jordan, TE, 6 "4. 245, from UM. In many ways he reminded me of Pitts who i reviewed last week.  I notice some draft geeks prefer Pitts and some prefer Jordan.  At the moment, I'd give a slight nod to Pitts because from what I watched he stretches the field vertically more.  And from what I observed Haskins sometimes has the tendency to throw highesh in between the numbers in the intermediate range of the field and I like Pitts' size and ability to high point the ball a bit more than Bryant.    So for that reasons among others I give a slight nod towards Pitts. 

But Bryant and Pitts are similar in the fact that they are so dynamic in the flat.  They fit well with the new school of dynamic weapons for the quick-short game.  Just throw them a hitch, screen, slant, dig and watch them take off with the ball in their hands.   Pitts can separate fairly well especially in the flat, sometimes he gets caught up in traffic in the middle of the field.  He knows how to position himself as a quick escape outlet for the QB, sometimes will block his man and then quickly release to get open.  He's sort of the crutch at times for the UM QB ala what CEH was for Burrow. 

Like Pitts, they line up Jordan everywhere -- inside, outside.  Some H back.  Like Pitts he can go from 0-100 very quickly.  That was one of my issues with Albert O, it took him awhile to find his gear so i didn't really find him especially dynamic considering his athleticism.    Pitts can get open in a hurry and doesn't break stride with the ball in his hands.  It's hard for me to judge Jordan and Pitts' speed.  But to my eyes they are plenty fast in part because they really kick off so fast off the line of scrimmage which to me is the most important ingredient speed wise for a TE -- you want them especially to kick open fast in the flat and they both do that very well.

Pitts also reminds me some of Jordan as a blocker stylistically.  I think both are OK as blockers.  On that front, they aren't great.  They aren't bad.  So so.  Both are willingly blockers who rarely miss their assignment and get their hands for long enough on the person they are blocking to free up the RB if needed or buy the QB time.  Neither one though are maulers.  These guys as blockers aren't on par with Hockenson or even Asaisi from the last draft.     

I can see both being criticized as blockers because IMO they both have the same flaw which is hard to miss and in turn easy to show on twitter clips, etc if you want to rip them.  That is, bigger dudes can just bulldoze them with power moves.  I like both of them better as run blockers for that reason.  If you leave them back to protect the QB and leave them to block some power rusher, that dude can likely just bull rush them right into the QB for a sack. 

But I am more forgiving then most for dynamic TEs who are willing blockers who lock into their assignments well even if they aren't physically the strongest blockers.  IMO the willingness of it and being assignment sound in more than half the battle.  Plus watching V. Davis and Jordan Reed over the years I found them lacking in terms of being willing blockers.  If Reed and Davis gave it their all, I'd let it slide more.  But both at times showed little interest in actually doing it.  So when I watch young guys giving it their all and they also bring a lot to the passing games -- I dig players like that.  I figure they can get bigger and stronger once in the NFL.

I'd guess right now Pitts is a mid to late first rounder type and Jordan a late first-early 2nd round type. 

• Like 3

On 4/27/2020 at 8:36 AM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Going to have to play more attention to this thread during the season. Already thinking OT/CB/LB as priority.

Early prediction being RR in year 2 wants his new Luke Kuechly. If one exists in the draft that is. 

Parsons is my watch player here. Also, the Iowa tackle Jackson and Surtain/Wade at corner. Thinking 6-15 range initially.

Picking top 5 would be a different story.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74

8 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Meanwhile, your chart show why it's such a big deal to have 2nd round picks every year.

That chart also shows how absolutely horrific Jacksonville is at drafting.  Wow.  Every one of those guys didn't last long for one reason or another.  Surprised they made it so close to a super bowl in spite of it.

• Like 1

I don't expect the Redskins to be particularly good in 2020. But I also doubt the team sucks like in 2019. A record like 6-10 seems more likely, which would put the team out of the picture for the real elite guys in the draft. So I wouldn't get too into all these top guys

4 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

That chart also shows how absolutely horrific Jacksonville is at drafting.  Wow.  Every one of those guys didn't last long for one reason or another.  Surprised they made it so close to a super bowl in spite of it.

Ypure only looking at first round misses and not the hits like telvin smith, myles jack, yannick...etc. an it was coupled with the right defensive players to go along ala Calais campbell aj buoye gipson...etc. they had a very legit stout team and had allen hurns/Robinson too. An injured fournette and bortles bortles'ing sank that ship.

Speaking to NBC Sports' Peter King, 49ers GM John Lynch stated WR Brandon Aiyuk and WR CeeDee Lamb's grades were “very evenly matched” ahead of the 2020 NFL Draft.

The 49ers passed on the chance to draft Lamb at No. 14 overall, and instead traded up from pick No. 31 to No. 25 to secure Aiyuk on their roster. Lynch outlined a conversation he had with head coach Kyle Shanahan two days before the draft, claiming it might "raise eyebrows," but he would be "perfectly happy" to select Aiyuk at their original draft slot at No. 13. Shanahan agreed. From a stylistic standpoint, it makes total sense as the 49ers roster George Kittle, Deebo Samuel and Tevin Coleman, all top two at their position in average yards after the catch. Aiyuk averaged the sixth-most yards after the catch in college football last season. And in an added wrinkle, Aiyuk's former coach, Herm Edwards, is the godparent to one of Lynch's children. Surely that relationship and seamless line of communication paid off while completing background work. Ultimately, Aiyuk and Lamb will always be linked in the eyes of 49ers fans.

May 4, 2020, 1:00 PM ET

46 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I don't expect the Redskins to be particularly good in 2020. But I also doubt the team sucks like in 2019. A record like 6-10 seems more likely, which would put the team out of the picture for the real elite guys in the draft. So I wouldn't get too into all these top guys

What was your prediction for the 2019 season?

14 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Question, if Charles is very good this year, but we are in a position to draft Sewell next year, do you draft Sewell and move Charles to RT? Does Charles have the ability to play on the right? Sewell looks like he'd be a beast on either side. 

Take Sewell, one of 6 humans I’d pay top $ for. 

6 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Prediction is if we're in a position to pick Lawrence then we're taking Lawrence because obviously Haskins didn't do his job.

Yeah, if we’re picking top 3 it’s one of the top 2 QBs or Sewell to protect an ageing Cam...:movefast:

3 hours ago, Jericho said:

Tend to agree. I’m realistically looking at the 6-15 range which is ideal for RR to get himself a new Kuechly. Expect a similar model/approach as he did in CAR.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74

22 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Great question. Wouldn't it be great if the first part of this occurs, Charles is very good this year.

Sewell is a player like Young this year, the elite of the class. You take him, move Charles to the right side and now you really have something!

13 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Parsons is my watch player here. Also, the Iowa tackle Jackson and Surtain/Wade at corner. Thinking 6-15 range initially.

Picking top 5 would be a different story.

Love Parsons and can't wait to see Moses return. Surtain is my top pick but Wade is just a tick below. Either would be great additions. They need to address LB and CB

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 5:42 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Pitts also reminds me some of Jordan as a blocker stylistically.  I think both are OK as blockers.  On that front, they aren't great.  They aren't bad.  So so.  Both are willingly blockers who rarely miss their assignment and get their hands for long enough on the person they are blocking to free up the RB if needed or buy the QB time.  Neither one though are maulers.  These guys as blockers aren't on par with Hockenson or even Asaisi from the last draft.     

Thanks for your early TE work!

At least they are willing and don't miss assignments, that's half they battle and yes way better than we have become accustomed to with Davis and Reed. They both look pretty dynamic in the passing game. 

I have noticed Penn States Pat Freiemuth has been ranked high by some. I know little about him other than that he is listed around 6'5" 260 so a little more anchor.  Look forward to hearing your early thoughts on him.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Thanks for your early TE work!

At least they are willing and don't miss assignments, that's half they battle and yes way better than we have become accustomed to with Davis and Reed. They both look pretty dynamic in the passing game. 

I have noticed Penn States Pat Freiemuth has been ranked high by some. I know little about him other than that he is listed around 6'5" 260 so a little more anchor.  Look forward to hearing your early thoughts on him.

Thanks, Freiemuth is on my radar as the next one to work on. 

• Like 1

Using a letter grade system to separate tiers and make grading easier. Some positions have so many items to look at that its harder to break it down to 10 total points without undervaluing certain traits.

My trait values are arbitrary. Not going to hide that at all. But the %s should break it down nicely and tier these guys accurately. 

I hope.

Either way, it's worth a shot!

• Like 2