Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Hopefully BYU is able to schedule some better competition at the end of the season and let Zach Wilson shine some more. He gets knocked for his level of competition, but he faces tougher teams than Trey Lance did (although Trey has a higher ceiling but is more of a project). I really like his accuracy/placement, touch, creativity with off platform throws, short area quickness, and body mechanics. His work ethic is off the charts from everything I’ve heard as well. 

Im hearing a lot of joe burrow comparisons but, he’s not as nails as Joe was. He can get flustered with up tempo defensive pressure, but everything else is decent to good and carries enough polish to start immediately and not be completely overwhelmed given the right situation. 

41 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

That kind of goes 2 ways too, Wilson won't be facing the level of competition like Fields or Lawrence will either.

The caliber of receiver Clemson and Ohio State sign nullifies that most of the time. Georgia Tech most likely doesn't have any corners that will sniff the NFL and they got unspeakably abused today to the tune of 15 yards per completion. 

I feel like guys like Wilson and Trask are options if we get like the 3rd pick or 4th pick and Lawrence and Fields are off the board and we don't want a project in Trey Lance with such a high pick so we take Sewell or Chase and then can draft a QB like Wilson or Trask in a later round (probably the second round).  In some ways it might be easier for the QB because I think the media and fans will be slightly more patient with a second rounder than a first rounder (but only a little bit, there will still be a lot of pressure)

I've watched Trask this season, can't make up my mind about him but worry about his lack of zip on throws.  I am not into arm strength being the key criteria but I do get concerned about QBs who might not have enough.

I have to watch Zach Wilson, sounds like he might not though enter this draft.

https://nflmocks.com/2020/10/08/2021-nfl-draft-zach-wilson-first-round/

Wilson’s recent play has catapulted into both the Heisman and NFL conversation. The BYU quarterback has the sixth best odds (20/1) to win the coveted award. ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. put Wilson as his fifth ranked quarterback in the 2021 NFL Draft.

“He’s on fire. Wilson has added weight and strength to his 6-3 frame, and he is sensing pressure well, manipulating the pocket and showing off his arm. He throws a great ball. Again, Wilson could stay in school and enter the 2022 draft, but he is a legit prospect.”

Mel Kiper Jr. (via ESPN)

1 minute ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

Anybody taken a look at Christian Darrisaw VT? Highest graded LT in the ACC, hitting 2nd and 3rd level blocks with regularity. Huge and athletic. Took the job as a freshman due to injury and never gave it back.

Last time I brought an OL from VT up was Wyatt Teller and we all know how that’s going 😅

Wyatt Teller is having a stellar season in Cleveland.

5 minutes ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

Anybody taken a look at Christian Darrisaw VT? Highest graded LT in the ACC, hitting 2nd and 3rd level blocks with regularity. Huge and athletic. Took the job as a freshman due to injury and never gave it back.

Last time I brought an OL from VT up was Wyatt Teller and we all know how that’s going 😅

Derrisaw is what I want in my left tackle, big, athletic and just seeking the next guy to hit.

Watching Darrisaw for the first time. He is big and mauling. He is a bit slow out of his stance at times, but he has good hands. 

I don't think he's all that athletic in comparison to other tackles. Cosmi, Little, Leatherwood even and of course Sewell to name a few. But he is hungry and is an absolute mauler. Of course, for his size he's a very good athlete. Not trying to say he's not at all athletic. His athleticism isn't what jumps out about him to me though. 

He's strong and he's a lock on blocker. 

I also really like how he's under control of his body at all times. He doesn't waste movement. 

I like him. Not sure where he slots in on my tackle list. Behind Sewell... he, Leatherwood and Cosmi are grouped up for me at the moment. 

Yeah he's a little slow.  There is some twitch there though, shows up on his excellent pulls.  The scariest thing about him to me is the lack of bend.  Lower body flexibility is not something that is easy to improve at the next level.  The slide and mirror is a little gallopy too, NFL level power counters are going to tear him up with sets and footwork like that.

He redirects his weight surprisingly well for such a tall and upright tackle, and all in all, he's an outstanding run blocker.  Kind of has some Becton effect in his ability to mangle his opponents with that size and arm length combo.  He's got good hands.  But it's clear to me his comfort level going backwards is much worse. I think his sets look awkward and I think he's going to be pretty raw in pass pro at the next level.  To the point where he might not be playable for years.  Issues with feet and balance on most of the different rush looks and not a lot of NFL pass pro reps in his cut ups.  I definitely don't think he's a first rounder.  IMO he's going to get moved to the right side and both the kids from Northern Iowa and Minnesota are more athletically gifted "big" LT candidates than him.  But Darrisaw is a gamer who just knows how to run block and he has enormous functional power and he gets it done no matter how difficult the assignment they draw up is.  I could see him being a mauling RT for a power man scheme with a great run game.

15 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Hope we got scouts at the Memphis - UCF game.

1500 yards total offense.

And we need a lot of offense.

That was insane.  You knew when Memphis got the ball back with 1:30 they were definitely going to score the TD.  Not a shining example of defense in American gridiron football on display in that game.  UCF's offense has been ridiculously explosive this year.  They've got some guys who are legit burners and they play almost like a Big12 team where they know they can score in any situation.  But their defense has collapsed.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've watched Trask this season, can't make up my mind about him but worry about his lack of zip on throws.  I am not into arm strength being the key criteria but I do get concerned about QBs who might not have enough.

I have to watch Zach Wilson, sounds like he might not though enter this draft.

The age old, what are the key things a QB should have.  I would like everything.  However, I agree I would happily sacrifice arm strength if the other attributes are there. The main thing is whatever his weaknesses are, they are not so bad as to be disaster in the NFL.  As a starting point, I would take accuracy, decision making, and some touch on whatever deep ball he can manage.  

It might help that whatever OL he has is adequate and the OC/HC works to his strengths (especially in year 1).  

Anyone in 2021 draft have my starting points?

32 minutes ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

@KDawg @stevemcqueen1 thanks for the breakdown gentlemen. Will keep an eye out for those points and check back in at the end of the season to see if there’s any improvement. 

For what it’s worth, I agree with Steve that he’s probably more of a RT than a LT. But his potential there is solid. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

For what it’s worth, I agree with Steve that he’s probably more of a RT than a LT. But his potential there is solid. 

These are the types of nuances that I don't see and I love hearing from the very smart people on here.

27 minutes ago, Brixtion_skin said:

However, I agree I would happily sacrifice arm strength if the other attributes are there.

To a point, yes, arm strength is one of the more overrated traits, but you don't want a pez-dispenser armed Danny Wuerffel back there either.

On 10/16/2020 at 2:43 PM, PartyPosse said:

Njoku and Howard and basically done IMO. Njoku just can't stay healthy and OJ has had 5 years to earn the trust of a staff and has failed. I still wish we would have tried to get Fumagalli or even Butt from Denver, but for some reason we're convinced we're going to find an absolute gem in the trash pile at the position. I don't know why anyone thought Logan Thomas was going to be the answer to our problems. 

I disagree on both points. The Browns staff wouldn't play Njoku like the Giants learned to play Engram. Both teams fixated on training them for in line duties first, but the Giants smartly gave up and focused early on w/his pass catching game and reaped the benefits. The Browns never got over the fact that Njoku was weak in line, and his dropsy made matters worse.

As for OJ Howard he was turning the corner and then they hired a great coach whose notorious for never using his TE's in Bruce Arians, and his growth as a player plateau'd (though he opened the season well. Funny you mention Fumagalli, I liked him too. Butt's had some major injuries, I admire him for finding a way to stick despite the serious injuries, but I don't think he's the adequate to mildly + athlete he was pre injuries anymore. 

On 10/16/2020 at 4:33 PM, Sellersfan said:

I just can’t get past drafting another QB and putting him behind this Oline. Any prospect will be running for their life, and ruining their development behind this line. I would rather get Sewell as a life insurance policy for a future QB, maybe a Guard either through draft/FA. 
pretty sure Scherff is gone at his price and position.

I hear you and we will harm a prospect QB w/this OL, but you don't get many bites at the apple in the blue chip zone, and we spurned such a bite last year and it was a mistake then, and we can't afford to do it again, build up the OL, and you'll get the team to a touch below .500 and out of the zone for getting elite QB's barring a miracle (they happen, but they're very rare). When you're a bottom 5ish team and have a chance to get a QB, you take it.

Also worth noting, as others have tangentially referenced, a quality OL is made up of multiple pieces, not just a great LT. Teams are noted for utilizing interior pass rush a great deal more than 20 years ago these days, and having quality units, w/depth to cover for cluster injuries takes time. You don't get a legit OL from one LT. We need to build it through selections, and free agency across 2 years, and add depth as we go. If we have a shot at the QB, you take it period. 

On 10/16/2020 at 6:46 PM, nonniey said:

Well it is clear the Redskins should pass on a QB in the first. We keep doing the same thing over and over to our drafted QBs - give up on them (almost immediately) and move them out. Why would anyone expect it to be any different with Lawrence or Fields? We should trade for a QB or sign a FA (if there are any suitable candidates) as the grass is always greener in the other yard when it comes to the Redskins and QBs (This goes back decades).

Because they're better prospects. Not sure how you say we keep doing the same thing with these guys. Other than Cousins, we were right to give up on all of them. Is anyone pining for RGIII, Jason Campbell, Patrick Ramsey, or even Haskins right now? The rule is keep trying, until you hit.

8 hours ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

Can he play guard lol 

I'd be ok doubling up on OL with Darrisaw  and Sewell or Creed Humphrey is another one I'm looking at. 

Archived