Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

I am still in disbelief that Fairfax County is really going to reopen elementary schools in person in three weeks without even a voluntary distance learning option (i.e. - not due to documented medical necessity).  Just give parents an option for distance learning until vaccines are approved for all elementary school aged kids.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I am still in disbelief that Fairfax County is really going to reopen elementary schools in person in three weeks without even a voluntary distance learning option (i.e. - not due to documented medical necessity).  Just give parents an option for distance learning until vaccines are approved for all elementary school aged kids.

That’s the plan as of today.  My guess is that they roll that plan back the Friday before school starts to throw families in more disarray.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Scrambling to figure out what to do with my youngest - he’s under 12 and going into MS.  School is not allowed to mandate masks, so in-person is out for us, and no virtual learning is going to be offered as of now.  Found a few online places linked to the Texas Education Agency, but I haven’t found out if he’ll be able to transfer to in-person once he’s vaxxed.  What a freakin’ headache…

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

Nothing? Montgomery county is offering a centralized remote program for the 2021-2022 school year. Students are collected into one program and not assigned to their usual school, but they did make in an option. 

I understand the reluctance to offer distance learning. 

my county, near you, has it but you have to be approved. It’s really for kids with social disorders as they found they thrived with remote leaning - I guess the stressors of being around the other kids really messed with their ability to be comfortable and focus on learning. 

given where I am (covid is a hoax country) I was thoroughly surprised they did that. 

anyways, I think distance learning is a huge, huge strain on the education people. I get their reluctance 

I also get your concern. 

im hoping we follow the rest of NOVA with the mask mandate they announced the other day. We normally do. Nothing yet. 

I used to just mock stupid people cause other then existing they didn’t really bother me. But they’re really ****ing things up for my child. I mean me too - but I don’t care about me, I’m fine. 

but they’re ****ing things up for my child. 

I have no patience for that. Zero. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3

Just now, TheDoyler23 said:

Nothing? Montgomery county is offering a centralized remote program for the 2021-2022 school year. Students are collected into one program and not assigned to their usual school, but they did make in an option. 

AFAIK, Fairfax allows students to apply for homeschooling based on medical necessity.  Apparently little over 400 applied so far with about 300 approved.  I can always choose to homeschool as a matter of right.  Seriously debating that and seeing if mid year transfer back to public is possible after vaccination.

1 minute ago, tshile said:

I understand the reluctance to offer distance learning. 

my county, near you, has it but you have to be approved. It’s really for kids with social disorders as they found they thrived with remote leaning - I guess the stressors of being around the other kids really messed with their ability to be comfortable and focus on learning. 

given where I am (covid is a hoax country) I was thoroughly surprised they did that. 

anyways, I think distance learning is a huge, huge strain on the education people. I get their reluctance 

I also get your concern. 

im hoping we follow the rest of NOVA with the mask mandate they announced the other day. We normally do. Nothing yet. 

I used to just mock stupid people cause other then existing they didn’t really bother me. But they’re really ****ing things up for my child. I mean me too - but I don’t care about me, I’m fine. 

but they’re ****ing things up for my child. 

I have no patience for that. Zero. 

Yeah, no mask mandate at this point is absolute bonkers imo.

Yeah, I'm sure distance learning is a huge burden.  But I wish they'd at least sit down and plan for that possibility and set out clear metrics on when that plan gets triggered.  Because right now it feels a lot like we're headed towards "well, it probably makes more sense to have distance as an option, but it's kind of too late so we'll just plow ahead and hope for the best".

I still can’t believe they didn’t get a vaccine out for kids before the school year. Going back to last year when it was clear the adult vaccine was effective and safe in phase 2 or whatever, circle August 2021 on the calendar and set a goal to have every school aged child eligible for a vaccine by then. It’s not like it was a bandwidth constrain… children as young as 12 were approved months ago. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, bearrock said:

AFAIK, Fairfax allows students to apply for homeschooling based on medical necessity.  Apparently little over 400 applied so far with about 300 approved.  I can always choose to homeschool as a matter of right.  Seriously debating that and seeing if mid year transfer back to public is possible after vaccination.

Yeah, no mask mandate at this point is absolute bonkers imo.

Yeah, I'm sure distance learning is a huge burden.  But I wish they'd at least sit down and plan for that possibility and set out clear metrics on when that plan gets triggered.  Because right now it feels a lot like we're headed towards "well, it probably makes more sense to have distance as an option, but it's kind of too late so we'll just plow ahead and hope for the best".

We have a back to school session on Thursday and they asked to presubmit questions.  And that was one of mine.  What are the defined metrics used to roll back full time in person?  How are close contacts determined? Etc.

Right before the end of the 20-21 school year, my daughter’s teacher had a positive test.  (She also had a negative, so maybe a false positive).  It was awful.  They weren’t sure if the kids could come back.  So they had to pack their **** up.  Some kids were considered close contacts, others weren’t.  

I’m definitely concerned.  Today, I’m more concerned about the disruption than I am the spread. That could change at anytime though.  It sucks not being able to be excited for a new school year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I still can’t believe they didn’t get a vaccine out for kids before the school year. Going back to last year when it was clear the adult vaccine was effect and safe in phase 2 or whatever, circle August 2021 on the calendar and set a goal to have every school aged child eligible for a vaccine by then. It’s not like it was a bandwidth constrain… children as young as 12 were approved months ago. 

I agree...kids can be little snot machines (no offense, parents) and spread everything everywhere...I thought they'd do elderly and kids first and leave the rest of us waiting at home. 

biden presser opening up on covid is solid, well-done, but nothing new except all the data and facts are put together and delivered in a  more concise and clear persuasive to dummies...he very directly calls out certain links in problem states (low vaxxed) and criticizes laws working against common sense factual life-saving measures that may need to be implemented in some areas at soem times and then really nails texas and florida by name and hard and calls on their leadership to care for the health right now of their electorate and do the right things

haven't got to him on coumo yet

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

biden does call for cuomo's resignation; i think he handles the press really well and is sharp, up-to-date and on top of everything...the whole old, slow, senile joe thing in rightwing media is just stupid and based on stuff that is either speech impediment issues, or even when it's actual gaffes he's done/does,  they're rarely that bad in any serious manner

he may be a progressive dem these days but i just see him as an og male white xtian politician dude of the more-decent variety who is smarter than most and actually adds some wisdom and compassion  to go with his pragmatism no matter what the politics are

it's still early in the admin and outcomes on covid and other major issues remain to be seen, but given the nature of things since trump helped that huge ugly underbelly of the gop base solidify and manifest as the cancerous lump it is (with vlad's immeasurable help)  i'm not only glad he's in there, i think he's individually doing better  than i'd expected given all the obstacles facing him in every direction he looks

(ooops---ot)

• Like 12

5 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Scrambling to figure out what to do with my youngest - he’s under 12 and going into MS.  School is not allowed to mandate masks, so in-person is out for us, and no virtual learning is going to be offered as of now.  Found a few online places linked to the Texas Education Agency, but I haven’t found out if he’ll be able to transfer to in-person once he’s vaxxed.  What a freakin’ headache…

What part of Texas?

7 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Anything that puts the words “Texas” and “Education” next to each other is automatically suspect.

• Like 1

I agree that a policy of "just don't pay your landlord, and he can't do anything about it (yet)" is a recipe for a bomb. 

Without some way of getting the landlord paid, it's a huge problem. 

Although I'm making assumptions that that's what we've got, here. I hope I'm wrong. 

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

The eviction moratorium is terrible policy. The impact it’s having is being ignored and it’s creating a huge cluster**** no one has a plan for. 

they need to come up with a better idea. 

I have a friend who is a prominent locksmith, has apartment complex contracts & such.  He was kinda counting on the evictions...and then they extended the moratorium.

Sometimes I hate agreeing with "both sides". 

So I agree, we need a better plan. 

@skinsmarydu
Yeah there’s a ton of people affected by this. It isn’t just rich people who can’t count their dollars monthly. 

even the people it protects are ultimately hurt by it. People are staying home more than ever, things break moreso not less because of that, yet there’s fewer people to fix things. Fewer people to clean things.  The people I know in large scale property management are seeing a disaster on their hands. One sent me an article about a building being sued in the area where a large component of the complaints are caused by inability to keep staff because they don’t have enough people paying rent (funny how people think it’s ok to not pay rent, but don’t understand what happens when they don’t pay rent…)

and not every person that rents out apartments is a wealthy person being a slumlord. Plenty are just average people that did what it took to make an investment in a small building with a small number of units, and this policy is damaging to them. I know a couple of these people. Thankfully they all paid off their investments right before covid hit. I realize there are additional things to help those people (cause we gotta do additional things to help with the problems we created with our first attempt at helping people) but those aren’t foolproof. With every assistance package there’s issues where people who deserve it don’t get it.  So I’m sure some people are getting screwed out of an investment they scrimped and saved for. 

I agree with the motive - of course forcing people to be homeless right now is a terrible idea. But this plan sucks. 

and they have no exit strategy. They’ve already conceded this extension is born out of there being no exit strategy. The Biden administration blames congress. Congress blames the Biden administration. 

Scotus already opined that this needed to end at the end of July like it was supposed to. 

it’s a poorly thought through plan and unsurprisingly no one spent any time coming up with an exit strategy or at least a transition strategy to move to something less harmful. 

what a clown show. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3