Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

1 minute ago, Larry said:

Let's hear it for not returning to the petri dish hospital.  

I guess you have some idea.  22 days last year, first of my entire life.  I was there 10 days before my sheets were changed, and I had to say something.

As I've said before, my male nurses were fantastic.  My female nurses came from hell. 

Oh, and my room was NEVER mopped the entire stay.  Swiffered, but never mopped. 

• Sad 3

35 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

As I've said before, my male nurses were fantastic.  My female nurses came from hell. 

Some female nurses were definitely the mean girls in highschool and shouldn't be in healthcare. I don't know what draws them to that profession when nursing is all about bedside care

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Oh, and my room was NEVER mopped the entire stay.  Swiffered, but never mopped. 

Might well be a good reason for that.  Mops can transmit things from room to room.  Swiffer gets a new sheet for each room.  

Just a theory.  

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Every ****ty nurse I've experienced,  was a female. I'm not sure what causes the discrepancy 

Women.  

(Ducks.)  

Edited by Larry
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Some female nurses were definitely the mean girls in highschool and shouldn't be in healthcare. I don't know what draws them to that profession when nursing is all about bedside care

Good money and great stability.  It’s just a career to them where they know they don’t have to worry. 

Covid had spared Alaska’s most remote villages. Not anymore.

The Siberian Yupik town of Gambell, Alaska, sits on the western edge of St. Lawrence Island in the Bering Sea, closer to Russia than the Alaska mainland and two plane rides from Anchorage. Whale and walrus are among the primary stocks harvested for food; the nearest hospital is more than 100 miles away in Nome. But Gambell’s remoteness has not protected it from the coronavirus.

Now everyone in this 700-person Indigenous community knows someone who had the coronavirus. Thirty-three residents tested positive this month, part of a wave of coronavirus cases that have shut down small towns in Alaska. Currently, more than 20 communities in western Alaska are either on strict lockdown or advised to be on one.

For months, Alaska’s remote, mostly Indigenous rural communities protected themselves from the coronavirus through restrictions on travel and local health measures. Once the virus arrived, though, conditions enabled it to spread like wildfire. Cases have exploded in recent weeks in some of the country’s most geographically isolated regions, leaving residents and health officials fearful that acute cases could quickly overwhelm the state’s meager hospital system.

In Chevak, a town of 1,075 near the mouth of the Yukon River in far western Alaska, almost a fifth of its residents have tested positive for the coronavirus as of this week.

After a handful of positive tests, Mayor Richard Tuluk said, leaders and health officials in the region quickly arranged for widespread testing at Chevak’s small local clinic. More than 700 people submitted samples. Tuluk says around 170 came back positive.

Chevak and other towns in the region have suspended in-person instruction across dozens of tiny community schools, relying on distance learning in a region with inconsistent and expensive Internet. The community’s lone store closed for days, prompting complaints from residents unable to get necessities like milk or diapers. The post office is severely backlogged. Masking is more strictly observed, and gatherings beyond immediate family have all but ceased.

Alaska managed to contain the spread of the coronavirus in the first months of the pandemic by locking down early. But numbers crept up over the summer and are now rising exponentially, with hundreds of daily cases reported. At 48.3 new cases per 100,000 residents over the past week, the positivity rate is the eighth highest in the country, though Alaska has so far maintained among the lowest mortality rates for covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 2

Pastor Rick Joyner, Who Said the U.S. Was Defeating COVID with Prayer, Has COVID

Back in March, right-wing pastor Rick Joyner, the head of MorningStar Ministries, claimed that the United States and South Korea had the lowest COVID-19 death rates in the world because those two countries “are the two strongest nations in prayer.”

Since that time, South Korea has seen a grand total of 468 COVID deaths while the U.S. (“We’re #1”) has topped 236,000 deaths.

Prayer obviously isn’t the problem. (Give at least some credit to people who pray who tipped the 2016 election in favor of an ignorant buffoon and his Republican supporters.)

But Joyner’s basic premise was that prayer was a way to defeat the virus.

That’s going to be shocking to (*checks notes*) Rick Joyner, who just tested positive for COVID.

We would like to thank all those who are offering their prayers of intercession for this upcoming election and for all the friends of MorningStar who are also praying for Rick as he was diagnosed with Covid-19. Rick has always been a champion and an overcomer. We are confident Rick will completely recover soon and has stated that he has been feeling better. We want our supporters to know that Rick is being watched over by his wife and medical professionals on an hourly basis and is improving. Thank you for your prayers and we are confident that Rick will have a full recovery. We would like to especially ask for all of our friends to please restrain the urge to contact his family at this time, as it distracts them from the focused attention of caring for Rick. We are looking forward to keeping in communication as Rick’s health improves.

hope he gets better because I’m not a monster. This virus isn’t a joke, or a hoax, or something that can easily be overcome with some magical drug. There’s no safe vaccine just yet. But I hope that when he’s back on his feet, he recognizes how people like him led others to make riskier decisions that perpetuated the pandemic.

I’m especially curious how he may have caught it, and if it happened at a Christian event where precautions were ignored. No word on that just yet. But his church just held a Sunday service yesterday where people crowded into an indoor space with no social distancing and no masks.

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Wondering if I'm the only person who thinks that the phrase "right-wing pastor" ought to be an oxymoron.  

I just noted he's head of the MorningStar Ministries.  The latin for MorningStar is Lucifer.

• Haha 1