Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

1 hour ago, Larry said:

And I keep being told that they have more hospital beds per capita than we do.  

they have far less acute or icu beds than us...which is what matters

along with personnel of course

At a point I don't feel like talking to anyone about this that isn't taking it seriously or complaining about folks that do.

I can't get through to them and I refuse to agree with them to keep peace or make them feel better.

For my own peace and sanity, I'd rather pay attention to my surroundings and focus on protecting what matters to me most.  Appreciate all effort in keeping folks informed in this and other threads, keep doing what you doing if that's what you want to do, it is helping folks like me do that.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

That definition of "emergency" is going to be vague as ****

Don't courts set precedent on that?

Think I'm concerned, too, about Trump transitioning to how he can take advantage of this situation, but not ready to be worried.

Jesus, did I just pull a Susan Collins?

25 minutes ago, twa said:

they have far less acute or icu beds than us...which is what matters

along with personnel of course

And you got this, where?  

10 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

That definition of "emergency" is going to be vague as ****

Suspect it's going to be "Reporters who Trump is pissed at".  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

And you got this, where?  

Suspect it's going to be "Reporters who Trump is pissed at".  

I doubt the courts would support suspending the press's right to habeas corpus because of conflict with freedom of the press in the constitution.

I'm not an expert on martial law, all I ask we be careful how we talk about it so we don't scare ourselves. Feel we are getting a crash course in this presidency of the holes in our constitition, but also what facets and institutions are standing the test of time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I doubt the courts would support suspending the press's right to habeas corpus because of conflict with freedom of the press in the constitution.

I'm not an expert on martial law, all I ask we be careful how we talk about it so we don't scare ourselves. Feel we are getting a crash course in this presidency of the holes in our constitition, but also what facets and institutions are standing the test of time.

"Lincoln did it".  

(Remembering the line from 2010:  "He evoked Lincoln.  Whenever a President is gonna get us into some serious ****, they always use Lincoln.")

And "They're sowing panic and unrest."  

I really hope I'm unjustified.  But I have yet to see a thing that indicates that there is anything that they won't do.  

I get what the DOJ is concerned with but that's BS on many different levels.  Courts have rules in place to deal with what they are facially concerned with.  Legislative fixes, including expedited appointment of judges, liberal venue transfer, as well as remote electronic proceedings (which we are already seeing some of on state levels) can all deal with it if things really hit the fan.  At most, they should be prepared for internal shifting of case load in case of emergency, which should be achievable on an executive level by administrative powers.

Any administration with a modicum of sense of political optics would not float proposals like that which would be DOA with most lawmakers, especially opposition party, without demonstration of overwhelming need.  It needlessly causes suspicion and panic among the public.  As of now, it is entirely unnecessary and we are so far away from it being necessary that it serves no practical purpose to have the discussion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Larry said:

"Lincoln did it".  

(Remembering the line from 2010:  "He evoked Lincoln.  Whenever a President is gonna get us into some serious ****, they always use Lincoln.")

And "They're sowing panic and unrest."  

I really hope I'm unjustified.  But I have yet to see a thing that indicates that there is anything that they won't do.  

Get it, im just having trouble finding where Lincoln applied that to the press.  He got away with his justification in regards to invasion because the South did eventually cross into the north to try to surround DC. Is reporting facts a threatening opinion of rebellion because Trump is lying during these press conferences?

Edited by Renegade7

32 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Get it, im just having trouble finding where Lincoln applied that to the press.  He got away with his justification in regards to invasion because the South did eventually cross into the north to try to surround DC. Is reporting facts a threatening opinion of rebellion because Trump is lying during these press conferences?

Pretty sure Lincoln jailed reporters.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

And you got this, where?  

from the internet , tis a wonderful thing.........you should try it.

we have more than twice the capacity per capita w/o emergency efforts .

Germany has about triple theirs, but keep talking about beds

8 minutes ago, Larry said:

Pretty sure Lincoln jailed reporters.  

You right, but it was in context of invasion and succession.  He was cracking down on papers that were pro-slavery, especially if they were pro-peace, which happened to be the stance of his opposing political party.

https://www.historynet.com/stop-the-presses-lincoln-suppresses-journalism.htm

The Union military laid the foundation for press censorship well before Bull Run. Unable to read, much less censor, every newspaper published in the country, it acted promptly to control both the source and distribution points for news. Soon after the April attack on Fort Sumter, it cut the telegraph wires between Washington and Richmond. Then the administration banned the use of the postal service and other exchange routes in and out of the rebellious states. National papers with large circulations in the South—particularly the New York Herald—suffered considerably as their Southern readership dwindled. Soon all of Washington’s telegraph wires, the standard medium for transmitting news from city to city, fell under military control—as The New York Times founder Henry Raymond had learned to his consternation after Bull Run. In the aftermath of the stinging Federal defeat there, a season of official crackdowns on individual newspapers commenced. The hostility toward pro-peace, pro-slavery journals made the angry crowd that menaced the Herald offices after Sumter seem like a band of carolers by comparison

For a President that had to deal with both reasons for suspending martial law in the Constitution, he looks better getting the amendment done for why they had to deal with invasion and succession in the first place.

https://www.annenbergclassroom.org/article-i-section-9/

The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.

This is a bad look, but suggests remorse for being right on something not being worth it. 

, Lincoln authorized each military commander “to arrest, and detain, without resort to the ordinary processes and forms of law, such individuals as he might deem dangerous to the public safety.” The broad order by no means exempted journalists. When that summer the pro-secession Baltimore Exchange editorialized that “the war of the South is a war of the people, supported by the people,” while the “war of the North” was “the war of a party…carried out by political schemers,” military authorities shut down the paper, arrested editors W.W. Glenn and Francis Key Howard—the latter, a grandson of the author of the National Anthem—and shipped them off to prison without trial. Howard’s surviving personal papers suggest that authorities may have acted prudently in his case: 

My understanding is martial law here is military taking over oversight for the judiciary branch of the federal government, giving executive branch control of two branches.

I'm not buying this country letting him do that for this:

@Larry if you respond to martial law post, I'd rather do it here for now, I couldn't copy my whole post with my phone about halfway through:

Can we shoot these people?  And I don't mean the remote Brazilian tribespeople.

Even uncontacted tribes in Brazil may face coronavirus risk

Ethnos360, an “aviation missionary” organization based in Arizona, has recently announced the use of a new helicopter to provide supplies and transport to its operations in remote western Brazil.

The organization, which aims to reach "the last tribe regardless of where that tribe might be," has previously operated in western Brazil with a bush plane. This has restricted its activities because of the permit requirements and expense of building and maintaining an airstrip. The helicopter, the organization writes, will “open the door to reach ten additional people groups living in extreme isolation.” While questionable at any time, the current pandemic creates a context in which the decision to contact these groups is especially insensitive.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2

https://www.romania-insider.com/coronavirus-romania-borders-malls-closed

Coronavirus in Romania: Country closes borders for foreign citizens, malls close, people’s movement and religious service restricted

Romania will close its borders for foreign citizens (with several exceptions) to limit the spreading of the new coronavirus (Covid-19). The authorities have also decided to close the malls and shopping centers in the country, starting Sunday evening, March 22, at 22:00. Supermarkets, hypermarkets, small shops, and drug stores will remain open.

People’s movement outside their homes will be restricted between 22:00 and 6:00, with only a few exceptions. The authorities also recommend people to also limit their movement outside their homes during the day. Moreover, those who leave their homes should respect the safety measures and recommendations from the authorities for limiting the spreading of the coronavirus and should not travel in groups larger than three people that do not belong to the same household.
Art. 4 - Between 06.00 and 22.00, it is recommended that the movement of persons outside the home/household should be carried out only for the following reasons:
a) travel in professional interest, including moving between home/household and the workplace, when the professional activity is essential and cannot be postponed or performed remotely;
b) travel for the provision of goods that cover the basic needs of the persons and their pets, as well as goods necessary for the professional activity;
c) travel for healthcare that cannot be postponed or performed remotely;
d) displacement for justified reasons, such as caring/accompanying the child, the assistance of elderly, sick or disabled persons or death of a family member;
e) short trips, near the home/household, related to the individual physical activity of the people and the needs of their pets.

• Like 1

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/coronavirus-maps.html

Update on how it's looking around the world as of earlier today.

CASES    DEATHS

Mainland China    81,008    3,255

Italy                         53,578    4,825

Spain                       24,926    1,326

United States          21,365    266

Iran                            20,610    1,556

Germany                     16,662    46

France                        14,459    562

South Korea                8,799    102

Switzerland                  6,113    56

U.K.                                5,018    233

Edited by visionary