Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cuts to get 100 million in Cap Space???

Renegade7

Skip the pleasantries, just cut them...  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Which of our Top 10 Contracts should we Cut this Offseason?

On 1/2/2020 at 8:55 PM, Warhead36 said:

We won't be able to trade Smith. Not sure where that Bears report came from. I'm pretty sure we take a massive cap hit if we get rid of Smith in any capacity, cut or trade.

You can't trade a player who hasn't passed a physical.

So it's a totally worthless report.

EDIT: I didn't realize this post was from a month and a half ago.  Still, the point holds. :P 

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That's two down, anyone want to change their mind on Dunbar?

Dunny is a CHEAP starting corner.  And pretty good when healthy.  If he works it out with Ron, he should be back.

Reed, I posted in the FA thread, has injury status related issues.  So they have to work through that before cutting him.

I don't think they cut Kerrigan.

I think they will extend Trent and lower his 2020 number.  

16 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Unless I'm mistaken, they changed the rule a couple years ago.  You can trade players on injured reserve now, a player who presumably would pass a physical. 

19 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

In 2018 they changed that rule. You can now trade players who are on IR. It made sense since you don't have to pre-designate who returns from IR during a season and you can bring 2 off now. 

So in theory this could happen. But the story that I read said they are only interested if he 100% can play this year. So he would have to pass a physical before say OTAs or at least they would need some independent medical evaluations say he will be ready to start the season. 

Seems a bit far fetched to me unless Alex is much closer to healthy than we know. 

As for this thread - no way he gets released. You would add an additional $10.8M to the $21M hit he will already cause. At the very least Chi would have to take that contract on or get Alex to renegotiate. It's not impossible. But seems highly unlikely. 

So Norman gets released and we save 15 mil. Richardson gets released and its 2 mil. Everyone applauds. Their still under contract, but a player plays above his contract and want to hold out on the final year, without guaranteed money, and that player should live up to the contract? Not saying either is right or wrong, but IMO it’s messed up. 

42 minutes ago, Acworth skins fan said:

So Norman gets released and we save 15 mil. Richardson gets released and its 2 mil. Everyone applauds. Their still under contract, but a player plays above his contract and want to hold out on the final year, without guaranteed money, and that player should live up to the contract? Not saying either is right or wrong, but IMO it’s messed up. 

Makes you think, doesn't it? 🤔

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Dunny is a CHEAP starting corner.  And pretty good when healthy.  If he works it out with Ron, he should be back.

Staying open minded. But not buying his retraction, I'll leave it to Rivera.  I've lost total patience with players like him, but I'm not the GM or the coach.

Reed, I posted in the FA thread, has injury status related issues.  So they have to work through that before cutting him.

Agreed.  I'd cut him for his own good, a trade may convince him to keep playing.

I don't think they cut Kerrigan.

Cant keep him at that number, why I suggested the Ryan Zimmerman treatment. Cut him and bring him back for smaller contract.

I think they will extend Trent and lower his 2020 number.  

Very likely, a lot has happened since I started this thread.

3 hours ago, Acworth skins fan said:

One benefits the team, the other hurts the team. Why would you not expect fans to side with the decision that would help the team?

18 hours ago, Acworth skins fan said:

I, too, struggle with the difference between "its business" and "its business".  But regardless of how I feel about it, "its business".

So current cap space at around 53mil.

release/cut/injury settlement on Reed should get that to ~60mil

extension for Trent likely gets 2-3mil back this year.

Pay cut/extension for Kerrigan likely gets 4-5mil back this year.

you could even convert 5mil of Collins salary to bonus to get 4mil back.

with Smith we have that 12mil insurance protection to offset cap if appropriate.

Moses/AP/Spinkle, various other options.

all told, we can roughly sit at 70mil in space via different means.

lets assume we pay Scherff and Dunbar, that total almost goes full circle to ~55mil

leaves a good 25-30mil in cap space to utilise pre draft. Maybe 4/5 strong signings.

I also really think we could do with a new CBA in place pre FA.

If we get $100 million in cap space, we shouldn't just spend it all.  Use some of that cap space to sign some of the young players long term; when the time comes to sign them.

2020 is probably a transitional year as we develop Haskins and Ron see which players are right for him.  As our young players develop, I would like us to use some of whatever cap space to sign these players to long term deals.  Sign them before they become free agents.  Maybe we can keep a core longer and have a window of a few years instead of a small window constrained by the cap.

17 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I, too, struggle with the difference between "its business" and "its business".  But regardless of how I feel about it, "its business".

In my opinion the way it should work is contracts max out at 4 years, no guaranteed money and no cutting a player. Either a player exceeds the value and gets a new more lucrative deal or he blows, steals a bunch of money and is never to be heard from again.

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

In my opinion the way it should work is contracts max out at 4 years, no guaranteed money and no cutting a player. Either a player exceeds the value and gets a new more lucrative deal or he blows, steals a bunch of money and is never to be heard from again.

probably see a whole lot of one year deals in that world.

4 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I cant support that kind of player salary cap considering how much revenue the NFL owners bring in.  I got what you trying to say, but not being able to cut a player makes the contract guaranteed.

On 2/14/2020 at 4:41 PM, Acworth skins fan said:

This is an excellent point that will fall flat on many. So many people ****ed and moaned about Trent - and virtually any player - dares to want to restructure r want a new contract screaming - he signed a contract, player X must live up to it!  But didn't the team sign the same contract? But it's Ok for them to kick a player to the curb. 

NFL contracts - like the other sports - should have fully guaranteed contracts, period. This would likely lead to shorter term contracts which is fine. This 5 yr contract with only 60% guaranteed is really a 3 yr contract taking control of the players life out of their hands for an additional 2 while giving the team all the control. This needs to change. And it is slowly - more players are getting shorter fully guaranteed contracts. 

Expect this to get addressed during the next CBA negotiations that unfortunately will very likely lead to a shut down/lock out that could last for a season or maybe more. 

Soooo are we thinking Landon Collins should be cut?...God i hope not, maybe re do his contract so he's making less?...idk but that dude needs to stay...for christ sakes how often does a player say he wants to play for(the Redskins)his favorite football team? and besides I remember his rookie season and what he can bring to the table...over a hundred tackles last year..and hes a safety..that's not bad numbers if ya ax me. 

On 2/14/2020 at 4:41 PM, Acworth skins fan said:

If we could cut Alex smith right now and be done with it I'd agree with you but the reality is the guaranteed portion of the contract is what the contract really is and the players know this when signing their deals.

Any years left after guarantees are gone are more or less insurance purchased by the team in case the player performs well and when a player signs their deal they have to be aware of this and be careful with these team friendly years at the end.

It's just how nfl contracts work, we cant get out of the giant anchor that alex Smith's contract is and I don't feel real bad that someone like Dunbar cant get out of the anchor of a contract that he signed.

Was there ever a reason given why this team didn’t cut Alex Smith last year to take the cap hit in 2019? 

If his injury is as tragic as they say, then it is more confusing as to why a guy who may never play again is taking up a slot.

37 minutes ago, dyst said:

Was there ever a reason given why this team didn’t cut Alex Smith last year to take the cap hit in 2019? 

If his injury is as tragic as they say, then it is more confusing as to why a guy who may never play again is taking up a slot.

Because his dead cap hit was double what his cap hit would have been. It’s pretty much the same this year. Next year it’s a minuscule 10 mil 

2 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Soooo are we thinking Landon Collins should be cut?...God i hope not, maybe re do his contract so he's making less?...idk but that dude needs to stay...for christ sakes how often does a player say he wants to play for(the Redskins)his favorite football team? and besides I remember his rookie season and what he can bring to the table...over a hundred tackles last year..and hes a safety..that's not bad numbers if ya ax me. 

No, I don't think anyone who knows anything is serious about that. For one, it would actually cost $18 million to cut him. Almost double cutting Alex Smith. But he's still young and still very good. Is he overpaid? Almost certainly. But its something the team can live with.

54 minutes ago, dyst said:

Maybe they know something we don't.

4 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

I didnt add him to the list for a reason.

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Because his dead cap hit was double what his cap hit would have been. It’s pretty much the same this year. Next year it’s a minuscule 10 mil 

I'd say deeper, I dont think you can cut someone when they are injuried like that, right? Dont they have to be cleared medically in some way first?

Archived