Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

1 hour ago, Bunny Kelly said:

The downside of this is group think, if you everyone has the same perspective then you can all be missing the same thing, while you want everyone to be able to work together you do need fresh blood not to get stuck in a rut

Ideally "group think" works like the Jury in "12 Angry Men" where we have the one dissent opinion working to convince the rest of the group. But It can also work where everyone is afraid of being the lone naysayer so they hold their dissent opinions back and then when the idea ultimately fails, everybody says "yeah I didn't think it would work". This is how many classrooom settings / presentations go where they ask for questions & comments and nobody speaks up. 

Worth noting, Turner's usage of McCaffrey opens the door for a Chris Thompson/Bryce Love feature back role. 

Peterson can also carry the ball on the regular for us.

I went from thinking CT was gone to thinking he may be around.

Just now, KDawg said:

Worth noting, Turner's usage of McCaffrey opens the door for a Chris Thompson/Bryce Love feature back role. 

Peterson can also carry the ball on the regular for us.

I went from thinking CT was gone to thinking he may be around.

Especially since Love is the question mark of all question marks right now.

2 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Especially since Love is the question mark of all question marks right now.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I agree about CT, may well get a new deal, hopefully minimal guarantees but I could see him getting an offer to return.

Even moreso when you think that if they are the feature backs, it actually changes a lot for us at running back.

It allows Peterson to stay fresh with less carries, but still be used enough to amass 1k rushing yards.

It allows Guice to be used as well, on the field at the same time as Thompson/Love.

Honestly, we could see a lot of 2x personnel stuff, with Thompson/Love flexing to a slot more often. Even both on the field.

I still have severe reservations about our RB corps. Three injury prone guys and Peterson, who will be 35.

Smallwood/Ferguson would be nice to have around through camp to know the offense. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

This is very possible. I mean we don't know for sure either way, but for me all bets are off and almost anything is possible. You could be wrong, but I won't bet against you because it's far from clear cut. 

I mean, the Panthers moving on from Cam and him being here is equally as plausible to me. Ron is here to win and win soon in the manner he sees fit.

I don't know if I could stand a single season of watching Cam Newton play for the Skins. Has even finished a season in the last three years? I hope fans are not hoping for the Skins to sign him. He probably wants $30 mil a year in a new deal. That is a lot of money tied up in two QBs for the Skins.

Also, reports as of today, say Matt Rhule wants to keep Cam on the Panthers.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pick6 said:

I don't know if I could stand a single season of watching Cam Newton play for the Skins. Has even finished a season in the last three years? I hope fans are not hoping for the Skins to sign him. He probably wants $30 mil a year in a new deal. That is a lot of money tied up in two QBs for the Skins.

Also, reports as of today, say Matt Rhule wants to keep Cam on the Panthers.  

I am fine with whatever route Rivera wants to go initially. I'm not invested in any one player. But I don't see us getting a Cam (as always, injury history concerns me with any player), or a Brees (won't be available) regardless if Smith doesn't retire. 

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I am fine with whatever route Rivera wants to go initially. I'm not invested in any one player. But I don't see us getting a Cam (as always, injury history concerns me with any player), or a Brees (won't be available) regardless if Smith doesn't retire. 

See I am not that indifferent. I am invested in Haskins. I want to see one year of full development. Jay Gruden blew him off. I want to see coaches actually focused on his development. After one full season as starter I may say differently. Lets remember Haskin was the guy who beat out Joe Burrow for the starting job at Ohio State. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Pick6 said:

See I am not that indifferent. I am invested in Haskins. I want to see one year of full development. Jay Gruden blew him off. I want to see coaches actually focused on his development. After one full season as starter I may say differently. Lets remember Haskin was the guy who beat out Joe Burrow for the starting job at Ohio State. 

I hear that alot. But college is a different animal than the NFL. And Burrow went to a new system that was more pro like than what Haskins was involved with. Him beating out Burrow at Ohio State doesn't mean much to me in the grand scheme. If they were both at LSU, Burrow would have likely beaten him out.

I've said since day one that the new coach/GM should get to pick their groceries. And I still mean it. If it's Haskins... fine. If it's not, I'm fine with it. His team, his groceries, his soup. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 4

Scott talking about Cam. Sounds pretty much like KOC talking about Haskins. Good that he's getting in now to work with DH. But even more interesting is how he talked about Cam needing to get the ball out of his hand if the play is not there and working his eyes and feet through the progression. If I recall, Cam is a NFL MVP. So it goes to show that there is always improvements to be made. So keep that in mind if you hear comments about what DH needs to work on. Work never ends. You will never see perfection despite the occasional perfect passer rating. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Even moreso when you think that if they are the feature backs, it actually changes a lot for us at running back.

It allows Peterson to stay fresh with less carries, but still be used enough to amass 1k rushing yards.

It allows Guice to be used as well, on the field at the same time as Thompson/Love.

Honestly, we could see a lot of 2x personnel stuff, with Thompson/Love flexing to a slot more often. Even both on the field.

I still have severe reservations about our RB corps. Three injury prone guys and Peterson, who will be 35.

Smallwood/Ferguson would be nice to have around through camp to know the offense. 

I've watched a lot of Love, he was one of my man crushes during the 2017 college season but alas he didn't come out in the 2018 draft.  He's very fast, and not very big, so profile wise he comes off like a pass catcher out of the backfield but he hasn't really established himself that way though he improved on that front in 2018.   He runs downhill a decent amount in spite of his size.  He's worked on his pass blocking but IMO he's not a good pass blocker.   Though he's dynamic as heck so if his speed returns he will be a really fun watch. 

My point is Thompson might be a better third down back -- great pass catcher, decent pass blocker which helps on third downs.  Guice I think has better hands than Love and is distinctly a better pass blocker.   Love is a home run hitter as a RB so I can see him on third downs being a great threat with a draw, etc. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Very interesting take at the 7:13 mark regarding young QBs being reared in a more traditional way and what type of things could hurt a young QB if he's rushed into action. Scott said some things that can hurt a QB is getting hit a lot or not have a lot of success (obvious but its good to actually hear it from a coach vice saying a player just needs to step up). Haskins has experience both of those issues. However, Haskins seems to be a very confident guy and looks like he fights through all of that. We'll see. But Scott seems to have a pretty good grasp. I'm good with him.

5 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

His replacement (Love) is even less healthy... 😂

We all knew Love would be on the shelf until he is ready.  I am not sure we can even call him CT's replacement until he too exhibits some healthy playing time. He is younger and cheaper though so we have nothing to lose with him. I think next year's replacement is not on the roster.

14 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Okay.  But this is Haskins second year.  They will give him time, especially if he’s starting a new system.  If he struggles early, people will probably attribute it more to the style of offense and his unfamiliarity with it.  Whereas if OConell stays, there’s less room for error.

Well see.  Im giving my opinion.  I didn’t say I’m always right.  But that’s what makes sense to me.  Common sense.

I don't know man. He sucked every game but one. And I don't mean rookie stuff. I mean basic fundamentals. BAD. The Philly game didn't mean anything to me. It was nice to see, but I struggle with the idea that he made some big jump suddenly from the previous 5 or so games. If he struggles early, it will have nothing to do with unfamiliarity with the offense.  He will get every rep from now until kickoff. A lot more than he had this year.

• Like 1

I don't know what Bryce Love is now, but if he can become what he was he is better than Thompson.  Love was a three down back, not a bruiser up the middle, but quick through the hole and dynamic in open field.  He was a huge weapon in the passing game out of the backfield.  He was the best back in college football until he hot hurt, front runner for the Heisman Trophy.  I sincerely hope taking all this time of he has gotten healthy and ready to contribute.

I posted this in another thread, it probably fits here as well

I listened just now to a reporter who covered Rivera in Carolina, Nick Wilson, who was more detailed than the standard beat reporter.  His take:

A. He is a good guy.  If you want to change a culture he's perfect.  He's a real adult.

B.  Super honest, tells it as it is.  Can sometimes be boring on that front.

C.  Tepper is a big analytics guy and he didn't like that Rivera wasn't

D.  Active in the community.

E.  He's loyal as heck for better or worse.  He likes his guys and that also translates to veteran players who he thinks he stuck with longer than he should

F.  He likes Scott Turner but thought it was a mistake to bring him to replace O'Connell 

G. A complaint some had about him is that when things went south in some seasons he didn't do anything drastic to try to turn it back the other way

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, evmiii said:

I don't know what Bryce Love is now, but if he can become what he was he is better than Thompson.  Love was a three down back, not a bruiser up the middle, but quick through the hole and dynamic in open field.  He was a huge weapon in the passing game out of the backfield.  He was the best back in college football until he hot hurt, front runner for the Heisman Trophy.  I sincerely hope taking all this time of he has gotten healthy and ready to contribute.

I love Bryce Love.  But how was he a "huge" weapon in the passing game in open field?  A big part of the rap on him in his big season, 2017, was can he catch the ball like his predecessor, McCaffrey?  There were doubts considering he only had 6 catches that season.   In comparison, Peterson who isn't much of a pass catcher had 17 here.  They used him more on that front in 2018, where he had 20 catches.  But he was not a huge weapon out the backfield for Stanford. 

He might develop into a passing game threat kind of player but that's not who he was in college or HS.  As a runner though the dude is unbelievable, he gets skinny in the hole, has great vision, finds a crease and he explodes.  He goes inside and outside -- tougher runner for a dude his size IMO.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2019-nfl-draft-primer-heres-scouts-saying-stanfords-bryce-love-175050946.html

“An explosive runner,” one scout told Yahoo Sports. “Very good speed and contact balance.”

Another scout pegged Love as a second- or third-round pick last season, and it’s clear that for Love to elevate himself into the first-round discussion, he’ll need to do two things.

First, like every potential first-round pick, he’ll need to prove his athleticism in drills and tests during the pre-draft process. Teams want to take players with both elite physical traits and tape in the first round, a philosophy that is generally thought to lower bust potential with those picks. If you’re a great player on tape with only good athleticism and measurables, that’s typically a ticket for the second round (see: UCLA linebacker Eric Kendricks in 2015).

But secondly, he will also need to prove he can be a factor as a receiver, as he caught only six passes last season and a grand total of 20 during his entire prep career as a star at Wake Forest High School in North Carolina.

“Wish you saw more [from him] in the pass game,” one scout admitted.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

This thread went through quite a change. First it was all about KOC and how great having KOC is. Then it was uncertainty about KOC. Were we being true to ourselves by keeping our KOC? How would we self identify on offense without our KOC? Were we ready to go through the process of permanently getting rid of our KOC? Now it’s all about life without our KOC. Some have soreness from the process  of the past few days but soon our KOC free reality should  sink in. The transition is complete.

Edited by SoCalSkins