Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

16 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Based on Rivera being totally risk-averse at the moment regarding player health/injury, I would expect Chase to get a couple of weeks on the sideline.

Depends really. He could use all the reps he can get. Still a rookie, even if he’s playing lights out so far.

Groins can linger though, so I wouldn’t be too surprised with a cautious approach.

Sit him until he's 100% and nothing less. There is zero reason to take any chances. He's already shown how dominant he's gonna be and we aren't winning jack this year anyway.

Only reason I'd want him to play is because he's got a legit shot at DROTY and I'd hate to see him miss out on that. Hell he could even be a Pro Bowler or All Pro his rookie year.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Sit him until he's 100% and nothing less. There is zero reason to take any chances. He's already shown how dominant he's gonna be and we aren't winning jack this year anyway.

Only reason I'd want him to play is because he's got a legit shot at DROTY and I'd hate to see him miss out on that. Hell he could even be a Pro Bowler or All Pro his rookie year.

I would love for him to play against the Ravens. It’d be a great learning experience for him to go against Lamar and Ronnie Stanley

NFL Network says it’s not believed to be serious.  He was pulled from the first as more of a precaution.

I did want Chase to just sit it out during the game instead of pacing the sidelines.  But you know he wants to play. 

Edited by Vanguard

On 8/27/2020 at 1:32 AM, TheShredder said:

It's very much an interior core related muscle.  Hard to surgically repair, not like a typical sports hernia.  They would have done an MRI for sure.  Could be caused by over training.  Even slight tears take 2-4 weeks to heal.  Why risk it?  49'ers shut down Bosa for similar issues. 

hip-flexors-1024x630.png.71f26f561f981ed04579f81457a145d6.png

On 8/26/2020 at 3:26 PM, TheShredder said:

They need to shut him down from possibly tearing more of that hip flexor or he won't ever be 100% this year. 

I pointed this out back in August.  This is the same injury and it never healed.  He'll need SURGERY to fix it and it's not the normal Sports Hernia procedure.

I expect him play at 70% off and on this year and have surgery after going on season ending IR after the tear gets deeper.  $.02 expert opinion without seeing comparable MRIs

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Sit him until he's 100% and nothing less.

This is a re-occurrence of his hip flexor injury.  100% connected.  See my previous anatomy post from last month.  These tears do not repair themselves PERIOD. They require surgical mending. 
They can play when they feel better which takes a few weeks but the tear is still there.  He will need surgery but until then you can play through pain tolerance at less than 100%.

There's no real danger from trying to play but he'll never be full speed and it will only be a matter of time before he tears it further. 

They'll likely give him another chance to feel better and try again before shutting him down for the year and getting an early jump on rehab for 2021.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

This is a re-occurrence of his hip flexor injury.  100% connected.  See my previous anatomy post from last month.  These tears do not repair themselves PERIOD. They require surgical mending. 
They can play when they feel better which takes a few weeks but the tear is still there.  He will need surgery but until then you can play through pain tolerance at less than 100%.

There's no real danger from trying to play but he'll never be full speed and it will only be a matter of time before he tears it further. 

They'll likely give him another chance to feel better and try again before shutting him down for the year and getting an early jump on rehab for 2021.

Damn Shredder, next time don’t sugar coat it for us— just a matter of time before they “shut him down for the year”. 

That is seriously depressing but so WTF/WFT worthy, if true.

1 minute ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Damn Shredder, next time don’t sugar coat it for us— just a matter of time before they “shut him down for the year”. 

That is seriously depressing but so WTF/WFT worthy, if true.

I stay away from Sugar because it causes systemic inflammation. 

You can view core related injuries in strength athletes by dividing the body into 3 parts.

Upper, lower body with connected core.  When you have an abundance of oversized muscle Upper and Lower, then sustain heavy resistance in a compound movement, the body recruits accessory muscles to accomplish the task.  In this instance with a DE, he pushes with legs and forces upper body explosive movements = compound movement  The core becomes the bridge.  When the bridge has a weak spot, it creates a 'hinge' point, that's not supposed to move.  This hinge eventually fails and results in a tear.  These tears are splits along the stands of fibers.  Your body will patch the tear with scar tissues across the strands but cannot recombine those split fibers.  Only way to do that is with a mechanical surgical intervention. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

I stay away from Sugar because it causes systemic inflammation. 

You can view core related injuries in strength athletes by dividing the body into 3 parts.

Upper, lower body with connected core.  When you have an abundance of oversized muscle Upper and Lower, then sustain heavy resistance in a compound movement, the body recruits accessory muscles to accomplish the task.  In this instance with a DE, he pushes with legs and forces upper body explosive movements = compound movement  The core becomes the bridge.  When the bridge has a weak spot, it creates a 'hinge' point, that's not supposed to move.  This hinge eventually fails and results in a tear.  These tears are splits along the stands of fibers.  Your body will patch the tear with scar tissues across the strands but cannot recombine those split fibers.  Only way to do that is with a mechanical surgical intervention. 

Truly appreciate your professional knowledge and experience.

Typically how long after surgery before you would expect him to be fully recovered and ready to resume football activities. Also, is there a significant danger of re-injury even after recovery?

Edited by TrancesWithWolves

8 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Oh come on guys if Chase Young feels good going into this Sunday let him play!  No reason to keep a guy package sealed on the sideline just because maybe he could get hurt.  Weak logic.  Now if he needs a week off that’s understandable but just saying “sit him until after the bye” just because is lame.

This is a slippery slope because the issue is progressing. The risk is the difference between repair with a scope or having to open up the hip....  You don't want to expose the abdominal region to infection, ever.  It's very risky.  

I'd say they give him one more shot at rehab for a few weeks then try again before they shut him down if I had to guess. 

3 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Truly appreciate your professional knowledge and experience.

Typically how long after surgery before you would expect him to be fully recovered and ready to resume full football activity. Also is there a significant danger of re-injure even after recovery?

if they can scope it then it's fully healed in about 6-8 weeks.  However the rehab to correct the weakness in the core is about 3 months.  Have to strengthen the hinge point in the core to catch up to the oversized muscle mass in the upper and lower body or you risk another tear.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

This is a slippery slope because the issue is progressing. The risk is the difference between repair with a scope or having to open up the hip....  You don't want to expose the abdominal region to infection, ever.  It's very risky.  

I'd say they give him one more shot at rehab for a few weeks then try again before they shut him down if I had to guess. 

if they can scope it then it's fully healed in about 6-8 weeks.  However the rehab to correct the weakness in the core is about 3 months.  Have to strengthen the hinge point in the core to catch up to the oversized muscle mass in the upper and lower body or you risk another tear.  

Then the question may well rest on the expected value of the potential 6 to 12 additional sacks and other plays Chase might make this year vs having a potentially career/life effecting issue.

Seems like a pretty easy decision for me— we must do what’s best for both the player and the team in the long run.

I just hope our current medical/training staff is better at such decisions than our previous one.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves

My interest in this season would drop significantly if Chase had season ending surgery. That doesn't mean I don't think it's the right move though if the two options were to play at 70% and further injure it or have surgery to repair it and be better off in the long run. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

potentially career lingering/affecting issue.

deciding when to mail it in isn't really a career lingering issue as much as a season long lingering issue and an off-season dedicated to rehab instead of football skills.  That decision is probably left to Chase Young up to the point where the new MRI proves that he needs surgery immediately.  Chase wants to be rookie of the year and bring sacks and forced fumbles to his DL gang.  You can look at other guys like Clowney last year, who played with a sports hernia and had off-season surgery.  It's not a mystery why he didn't sign right away as he would have had to go through camp, in the heat, getting dehydrated and risking his core hinge wasn't caught up to his stature.  No quick fix here. 

Short term scar tissue will regrow after 2 weeks. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

deciding when to mail it in isn't really a career lingering issue as much as a season long lingering issue and an off-season dedicated to rehab instead of football skills.  That decision is probably left to Chase Young up to the point where the new MRI proves that he needs surgery immediately.  Chase wants to be rookie of the year and bring sacks and forced fumbles to his DL gang.  You can look at other guys like Clowney last year, who played with a sports hernia and had off-season surgery.  It's not a mystery why he didn't sign right away as he would have had to go through camp, in the heat, getting dehydrated and risking his core hinge wasn't caught up to his stature.  No quick fix here. 

Short term scar tissue will regrow after 2 weeks. 

Thanks for the clarification. That’s a much more encouraging set of possibilities than where my original interpretation of your posts led me.

3 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Thanks for the clarification. That’s a much more encouraging set of possibilities than where my original interpretation of your posts led me.

Yeah, everyone in the NFL knows that the hip flexor and 4 weeks later 'groin' injury are related.  They'll know he's never going to play at 100% this year and is1 snap away from being out all year.   It's a bummer because I'm with @Burgundy Yoda on the Haskins issue and the defense was the paramount motivator to watch this WFT this year.