Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That's your opinion. And if high first round draft picks was such a big deal, Browns wouldn't of won only 6 games this year.  Where is that thread on them finally passing us in the dust? Theres so much wrong with this organization, winning games makes it palatable for some.  And none of the players wanted to lose for picks, that has to count for something.

As much as I love to dunk on the Browns and their greatly exaggerated ascendancy to the NFL elite, I've got admit the Browns did everything right in the drafts. They failed on the coaching front. Turns out 8 week OCs don't make the best leaders of egotistical superstars. Should have gone with Gggreggg. Rivera seems cut from the same cloth as what the Browns needed: A demanding but rewarding head coach. Someone needs to whip the youngins into shape.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

This kills me, man, jus because someone roots for the Redskins to win doesnt mean they are going to win.  

So what, Rivera turns down job that is offering him damn near full roster control right up the street from Carolina so he doeant have to move so far because we dont have the #2 pick for Young?  That's overthinking it, we might still trade down if offer is right based on other needs, that really is the best interests of the team, not overinvesting in the dline when you have no oline.

But ya, that's opinion.  If folks dont want the label of not being true fans for rooting for loses, it goes both ways, cant accuse people of not having the best interest of the team because they want to win. That's not right.

When i root for my team to win I get upset when they lose.   So when I say if you are rooting for a win it presumes you'd be upset if we lost.   Like bothered.   I wouldn't kick a win out of bed for eating crackers, but I would have probably been a tad irritated the team picked that moment to play given what they'd done all year.   

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Shocking :ols:  It really is.

I never made that argument you seem to be hanging your hat on. That's imaginary. 

What, they we better off losing for a higher pick? Yes you did, you doing it now.

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Too bad the Dolphins didn't make that idiotic conversion they tried. We'd be #1.

Call it what you want how you want to call it, its jus a different variation of the tank vs dont tank arguement which has been debated here for years in stadium and tailgate.

Just now, Art said:

When i root for my team to win I get upset when they lose.   So when I say if you are rooting for a win it presumes you'd be upset if we lost.   Like bothered.   I wouldn't kick a win out of bed for eating crackers, but I would have probably been a tad irritated the team picked that moment to play given what they'd done all year.   

That's fair, it really is.  As someone who never saw the glory years, my superbowl is that one game a year we ain't got no business winning but still manage to pull off, reminder I dont know what's going to happen until it happens. My peace out of this chaos, different perspectives.

10 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

As much as I love to dunk on the Browns and their greatly exaggerated ascendancy to the NFL elite, I've got admit the Browns did everything right in the drafts. They failed on the coaching front. Turns out 8 week OCs don't make the best leaders of egotistical superstars. Should have gone with Gggreggg. Rivera seems cut from the same cloth as what the Browns needed: A demanding but rewarding head coach. Someone needs to whip the youngins into shape.

After how many years they been in the league as expansion team and how many #1 draft picks?  You helped make my point, they cant get out their own way, even with high first rounder after high first rounder.

18 minutes ago, Art said:

What was in the best interest of the Washington Redskins on Sunday?   Winning a meaningless game at Dallas largely with players who won't be here next year, both lowering our draft position AND making us less attractive to potential coaching and personnel people in the process, or losing that game and maintaining the benefit of that pick?   This is not to say you had to root for a loss.   Of course not.   But if you were rooting for a win you weren't actually thinking about what was in the team's best interest.   The players who worked their respective asses off, as you put, got their head coach fired and were in the middle of roughly our worst season ever.   They should have worked harder when it mattered if it mattered.

First off, great to see you around lately. Been TOO long man. 

All subjective opinion. 

Aside from the fact I'd take serious issue with you, in context (an injury-hit, super young roster who were without any semblance of competent QB play until a rook was ready to step in and learn on the fly et al), on the slating of the players work ethic the last 10 games of the season; it's just subjective opinion as to what's in the best interests of the team. Losing out for a higher draft pick that may or may not pan into anything. Or winning actual games of football as a young team grows and develops together. With all the momentum they'd get from that rolling over into next year. Which is just as relative to me. 

There's no right or wrong answer there as to what's in the best interests of the Redskins going forward. 

Just subjective opinion. 

Hail. 

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That's fair, it really is.  As someone who never saw the glory years, my superbowl is that one game a year we ain't got no business winning but still manage to pull off, reminder I dont know what's going to happen until it happens. My peace out of this chaos, different perspectives.

I'm really sorry. I didn't know. Hugs.

It's glorious man. Knowing you're walking into another great teams stadium and that you're gonna knock the **** out of them and win. Just knowing it. It sticks with you.

Hopefully this season signals a change in culture. I don't think Rivera is the greatest coach in the world, but if this is what it takes to drain the swamp so to speak and get back to our greatness, I will take the shots on the chin.

I always root for my team to do well.  But when it makes sense for the betterment of the team to lose for a better future its whats neccessary.

As a Ranger fan last season i fully supported them 100% but as it became clear they were never gonna make the playoffs i wanted them to lose for a better pick and a chance at a game breaking talent and it worked.  

Im alot happier with a 3-13 season with chase young then i would have been at 4-12 and Judy

17 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

And again, for those who absolutely wanted to win that game, would it had been different if it were say, against the Dolphins, and not Dallas?  People really need to stop obsessing over the Cowboys. Neither team has done much of relevance in 25 years, particularly the Skins. 

Why are we even bothering then?  The only thing different if it was someone else for me is it wasnt our arch rival with chance to make sure they dont make the playoffs. 

Again, it worked out the way it was going to anyway because both teams sucked.  But during the game, heat of the moment, no way I want the conflict of wanting them to lose so they can win, I'll pass. That's not why i watch them play.

I'll wait for the trade down offers, if anything we've possibly made that harder because it's such a high pick that wont be for a QB.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Smoot just now on the radio saying he's heard that Dan is out to dinner with Rivera and Obama.  Sounds wild to me but who knows. 

I think I saw somewhere that Rivera does like whisky and cigars so maybe they bond that way?  😀

Why Obama?  I thought Dan was a Republican, so more inclined to have dinner with Donald.  Or is he using Obama to smooze Ronny.

4 minutes ago, boston skins fan said:

Im alot happier with a 3-13 season with chase young then i would have been at 4-12 and Judy

Presuming, of course, he's there for them to draft at 2/ that's who they chose to draft. 

You can't bank on anything come draft day which a lot of folk are doing. 

Hail. 

18 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

After how many years they been in the league as expansion team and how many #1 draft picks?  You helped make my point, they cant get out their own way, even with high first rounder after high first rounder.

After how many years did they do that with the different incompetent staff who blew the picks on bad players? Until they got Dorsey, all of them. But with the right GM and the right coach, it can flourish.

This is the situation we are in right now: Behind door 1, we have quite possibly the next Julius Peppers, JJ Watt, Myles Garrett, Bosa Brother... whatever you want to call him. A difference maker, a star that our defenses have lacked for a decade. Behind door 2, we have 1 single win in a season that we were already locked out of the playoffs, needed to sanitize the front office, AND take away our chance at getting quite possibly the next Julius Peppers, JJ Watt, Myles Garrett, Bosa Brother... whatever you want to call him.

If you pick door 2 and say you don't want our best, cheapest chance at our first football superstar in over a decade who can win us games on his own, then I'm not questioning your fandom. I'm questioning your reasoning. I want people who WILL help the team win, and the only way we get that is by taking the best player available. The #2 pick in the entire draft gives us that player without trading the farm to get him.

3 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Presuming, of course, he's there for them to draft at 2/ that's who they chose to draft. 

You can't bank on anything come draft day which a lot of folk are doing. 

Hail. 

If Chase isn't there and it's Joe Burrow left, we commit highway robbery and get even more picks that can still help us to more wins in a season where the wins take us to the postseason. It's a win-win.

I think both sides of this are equally good fans 😀.  It's obviously just a different perspective,  

I spend thousands of dollars every year on Redskins gear though I shouldn't.  I've flown around the country a bunch of times to watch games.   I am practically an addict to listening for Redskins news, etc.  I got a Redskins credit card.  I've done all sorts of stuff with the Redskins Charitable Foundation on and on.  I'll put my fan badge here against anyone.  I am not saying I have anything better cooking.  I think we are all equally good fans.  We wouldn't be on here posting if we weren't hardcore.  

Once they were out of the playoff hunt (which happened fast this year), for me it was no brainer, slam dunk to root for them to lose and end up with the 2nd  pick.  I don't feel a whit guilty about it.  I have zero cognitive dissonance about it.  It's losing the battle to win the war.  IMO this franchise has too many times won the battles to lose the war.     

I don't expect players on the current team to root for higher draft picks or even Bruce's demise in some cases considering those new players might be coming here to replace them and Bruce likely signed many of the players on the current roster.  Any player or any person who is part of the Redskins status quo is unlikely to be fired up about change because change might mean they lose their jobs.  

I want the best coaches, best front office, best players I can get.  It means nothing to me to go 5-11 versus 3-13 to impinge on that goal.  Dan seemed stuck in the mud.  We needed something to unstick that and losing sadly seemed to be the only thing that would get him off the we are close crap.  As for Chase Young.  I think he's a great player and this team is starved for star power.  It saddens me how irrelevant this team is becoming nationally.   Adding potentially a great player and spicing this team up nationally I think could be a godsend especially considering we have other building blocks here.    If they trade the pick that's fine too -- be fun to get a bounty of picks from another team for a change as opposed to being the team giving up a bounty of picks.  

I don't have any problem with anyone who wants to win and would prefer a 6-10 season or whatever over the 3-13 and celebrates every game as it comes.  That's cool.  Everyone has a right to wear their fandom as they choose.  

But for me:

A. Ron Rivera -- looks like an upgrade at HC.   Am loving what I hear about him.  I'd be jazzed if he's hired.

B. Wilks -- might end up the defensive coordinator -- could be the first D coordinator with some pedigree since Gregg.

C.  Bruce is gone and we might get a big name GM for a change or elevate Kyle, etc

D.  We might get a player who some consider is the best player in the draft or a bounty for the pick

IMO there have been some good things that are happening.  At the very least, I don't think C or D would have happened if the season didn't go the way it went.   For me I never root for a bad season from the outset, I want to get into the playoffs.  But if we aren't making the playoffs I think the 7-9 seasons have hurt in an insidious way.  Heck Clinton Portis recently talked about this saying the problem with this team is they are never picking among the top 3 players or so in the draft and they need to be lucky to do that once in awhile.  Portis, a Redskins fan still, who played the game and has nothing at stake now where he has to worry about his job being on the line as a player.   Smoot, also a passionate ex-Redskin was also rooting for them to lose to get Young.

I get the other position to this and respect it.   But all of us who wanted this to go down, I appreciate that passion, too.  There was a clear method to the madness and I am thrilled it went down. I get Dan looms in the background and he can spoil the soup but that's a separate point.   I just root for variables that are possible.  Dan I don't think is going anywhere. 

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm really sorry. I didn't know. Hugs.

It's glorious man. Knowing you're walking into another great teams stadium and that you're gonna knock the **** out of them and win. Just knowing it. It sticks with you.

Hopefully this season signals a change in culture. I don't think Rivera is the greatest coach in the world, but if this is what it takes to drain the swamp so to speak and get back to our greatness, I will take the shots on the chin.

It's all good, man. I'm trying to do a better job not taking this all to heart, and im ready for what's next if anything because theres no one left to tank to, season is over. I agree with you on Rivera, I dont believe beating Dallas would've saved Bruce's job, my understanding is him and Snyder canceled put put time 2-3 weeks ago : )

I'm replying to alot of posts yesterday asking why anyone would want to come to DC vs any other team

Forget the talent, forget the pay.  Assuming those are on some level of equal, why wouldn't they?

Let's say Bellicheck retired this year   yes, successful, we'll run group. 

Redskins, well... Enough said.

Kraft offers coach x 5 years 30 mil (wtf is a normal coach pay?). And Snyder offers the same.

Anyone, ANY... SINGLE... COACH.. OR... GM.    who takes the Patriots over Redskins here is not who I want to be here.  I want the fire, I want the thinking you are the best, who is gonna right this ship after 25 years.  These guys are all competitors, they want the challenge.

Win a super bowl with the pats/Steelers and the town will call you a hero.

Win a Superbowl with the Redskins?  You are now a God.

For the millionth time:

Some people want to root for wins at the merciful end of a lost season because it makes them feel okay.

You're wrong.  Theres no carryover and the team is better off with a higher pick.  Your heart is in the right place.

Some people want to root for draft position because it makes them feel okay.

You're right.  It got everybody fired and the #2 pick has tons of value in any draft ever.  Your head is in the right place.

Both sides think the other are morons.  Neither are*.  It doesn't effect the outcome of the game.  I choose to root for the result that improves the longterm outlook of the team, but do what feels better.

*Unless you flip flop every few years just to make it interesting, pretend to call it "wisdom", and deride others for doing exactly what you used to do.  In which case, you move into your own special little category of terrible fans.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Once they were out of the playoff run (which happened fast this year), for me it was no brainer, slam dunk to root for them to lose and end up with the 2nd round pick.  I don't feel a whit guilty about it.  I have zero cognitive dissonance about it.  It's losing the battle to win the war.  IMO this franchise has too many times won the battles to lose the war.     

I don't expect players on the current team to root for higher draft picks or even Bruce's demise in some cases considering those players might be coming here to replace them and Bruce likely signed them.  Any player or any person who is part of the Redskins status quo is unlikely to be fired up about change because change might mean they lose their jobs.  

I am boston skins fan and i approve this message

You said it more eloquently then i did

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

If you pick door 2 and say you don't want our best, cheapest chance at our first football superstar in over a decade who can win us games on his own, then I'm not questioning your fandom. I'm questioning your reasoning. I want people who WILL help the team win, and the only way we get that is by taking the best player available. The #2 pick in the entire draft gives us that player without trading the farm to get him.

Saw he had zero sacks yesterday in a loss in college playoffs.  Straight God mode got what, out gameplanned?

Young might be a special player, maybe even HOF, but even the best players might win a game or two by themselves, but not s championship.  

Especially now with rumors of going to 4-3, we talking about having 4 first round picks and a pro bowl alternate if we draft Young rotating on the dline at same time potentially losing Trent, Flowers, and Sherff on the oline.

My reasoning? Overload on dline and no one to protect Haskins is a recipe for disaster.  Am I the only one that noticed he didnt finish the season healthy after not starting the season playing at all?  If we get Young, so be it, I hope it works.  But I'd they get Haskins killed next, I'm not going to ask if Young can play QB.  They should trade down.

31 minutes ago, A Skinhead in Saints Land said:

Totally different temperament than both those coaches. Deck was stacked against Shanahan. I’m my opinion, Rivera starts on a more even playing field in that regard. 

How was the deck stacked against Shanahan?  By hiring Allen?  I thought when Shanahan was hired, he was supposed to have final say in all football decisions?

Whats going to prevent Snyder from doing the same thing to Rivera as he did to Shanahan?

Archived