Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Outer Space Thread

RemoveSnyder

that, as always for me with launches, was awesome

humans traveling into 'outer space' and eventually becoming a multi-planet species has been a topic of real meaning to me since i was a young kid

i'm gonna post more on this later (try to contain your excitement :806:

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

@ixcuincle

@tshile

It seems strange to think we have tamed the technology but at the same time it was a 10 minute flight.  62 miles high.  The moon is 238k miles.  So they traveled .026 percent of the way to the moon.  

Commercial flight at under 35,000 feet amazes me.  Maybe these are closer to the Wright brothers at Kitty Hawk. 

I don't desire to watch anyone die -- and to think they would take that type of risk is silly also.  Badly phrased to say, "I want something catastrophic to happen". 

The worst thing that could happen would be devastating and the billionaires also know this.  It just seems a little too casual, and maybe we are at the point where manned missions like this should be deemed as safe as walking 10 blocks away.  But even if it was a fraction of distance to the moon, nature and space deserves respect.  Let's not assume the risk is zero.

This is a good scientific achievement here to standardize space travel which was previously limited to astronauts and NASA folk who spent years training

I don't see why it's bad that you can buy your way into space. Welcome to America and capitalism. Space is now an open market for tourism.

I mean we haven't even reached everyday people instagramming from space yet and yall already complaining. "IT IS BAD TO COLONIZE SPACE" It is not. Lot of money in space, about trillions or billions in raw materials

• Like 3

I mean this is how things work… solar panels… electric vehicles… 

when startup costs are so high a private company cannot justify the risk to get into the industry, the government does some sort of initial development and/or tax breaks to encourage businesses. 

over time prices come down as R&D costs change, competition grows and more companies get involved, etc. 

this is how it works. 

but wah rich people, or something. 

yeah I’d prefer we fund nasa to do it too. But that obviously isn’t an option. 

• Like 4

And why would NASA train civilians for commercial travel?

NASA does train civilians sometimes but it's for ISS or something like that. Yes teachers have become astronauts to ride on the ISS, and stuff like that. But that is different from just taking a vacation to go to space. This is LEISURE, NOT BUSINESS.

Opening up space to leisure is HUGE.

4 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

And why would NASA train civilians for commercial travel?

Honestly I’m not even concerned with that aspect. 

im just focusing on the idea that it’s bad rich people are doing this (and presumably will get richer doing it)

you either want space exploration or you don’t. 

and if you do, it’s either this way or no way. 

and yeah - welcome to life. The rich get to do things first. 

it’s just crazy how detached from reality some people are. This is literally how everything works. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

Honestly I’m not even concerned with that aspect. 

im just focusing on the idea that it’s bad rich people are doing this (and presumably will get richer doing it)

you either want space exploration or you don’t. 

and if you do, it’s either this way or no way. 

and yeah - welcome to life. The rich get to do things first. 

it’s just crazy how detached from reality some people are. This is literally how everything works. 

I agree with you. The rich get to do it first just like the rich got the supercomputers first and then after it became popular it was more affordable.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I agree with you. The rich get to do it first just like the rich got the supercomputers first and then after it became popular it was more affordable.

I sense sarcasm, but your cell phone qualifies as a supercomputer compared to the initial supercomputers that those rich guys (corporations) paid through the nose for.

Computers. The internet. GPS. Plastic. The foam that’s in your cars to save you in an accident. 

your world is surrounded by government projects. Projects no one else would foot the initial bill for. That were later turned over to private industry when it reached a point someone was willing to jump in and run with it. 

and stuff that wasn’t a government project, was started with big tax incentives. 

is it the best system possible? Don’t know, likely not. But it’s what we have.

we’re a country that can’t agree to fix crumbling infrastructure. If you want space exploration to grow this is how it happens. 

spare me your cries for a completely reformed government that’s never going to happen. You’d make more sense if you were just anti space exploration. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

I sense sarcasm, but your cell phone qualifies as a supercomputer compared to the initial supercomputers that those rich guys (corporations) paid through the nose for.

There's no sarcasm intended. This is a beginning step in science. The rich got everything first and then commoners got a taste.

Like the rails used to be only for the rich. Then mom and dad could afford a ticket because prices went down.

Prices for all these things will always go down as the novelty wears off. Even reading used to be just for the elite before Gutenberg invented the printing press

4 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

There's no sarcasm intended. This is a beginning step in science. The rich got everything first and then commoners got a taste.

Like the rails used to be only for the rich. Then mom and dad could afford a ticket because prices went down.

Prices for all these things will always go down as the novelty wears off. Even reading used to be just for the elite before Gutenberg invented the printing press

Well said, my apologies.  

3 hours ago, purbeast said:

So what do flat earthers think about this?

It can no longer be a government conspiracy that the earth is round. We now have 2 private companies who also can confirm it is round.

How are they handling all of this?

you can only see one side of it though so it's still flat 🤣  it's like a pizza

56 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Okay, I'll address the elephant penis in the room.  That thing looks like a giant weiner.

3645e8dfb959fdb6abf8d685fa32a475?impolic

It's an effort to get girls into science.  Buy the model for your daughter.

s-l400.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Okay, I'll address the elephant penis in the room.  That thing looks like a giant weiner.

1 hour ago, China said:

It's an effort to get girls into science.

Okay Jabby ol'boy...every time there is an obvious downhill joke you don't have to do it.  You don't always have to go for the low hanging fruit.  You can control yourself.  @TryTheBeal! will be along any moment and he'll make the joke.  You can maintain class and digni...

Don't you mean its an effort to get science into girls?

....damnit.

• Haha 3