Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Bills Prediction Thread: Fate Is The Weight Of Circumstances

skins island connection

Who wins?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the re-match of Super Bowl XXVI ?

• Redskins
    • Bills
    • 1 step closer to removing Bruce Allen from the organization
    • Gonna mow the lawn, maybe the neighbor's as well

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What they are doing is simple. They are bleeding the clock.  Opposing offenses simply don't have the ball enough to score much.  The net of it is that It helps the defense and running game. The defense isn't on the field much.

Yeah, I don't think it's that:

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 6.09.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 6.09.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 6.10.05 AM.png

@Califan007

I didn't say we are winning time of possession though.    If I recall I posted in this very thread or another one recently we are playing ball control football and our opponents are beating us at that game apples to apples.

Both teams in these games ran the ball.  We've definitely run the ball now a lot -- so I presume you aren't challenging the idea or the idea that running the ball bleeds the clock.  Teams have been able to put us away in part by controlling the clock on drives to ice the game -- I mentioned that in the game thread last week.   

Like I said I don't think the Vikings even punted last game (or something close to that) so our foes are going toe to toe with Callahan and thus far beating him at that same game.  Thats why I said I am cool with it as long as you win.  Otherwise, this is just a new way to lose.   The last two games were done in about 2:30 minutes.  The clocks have been bled and yes the Redskins have done their part to make that happen.  And yes when we do that it makes it difficult for teams to have the same number of possessions -- assuming we do our part and extend the drives when we are running the ball.   

The X factor naturally is whether the drives are successful or not. But on the aggregate running the ball bleeds clock -- I think we can all agree on that?

@Skinsinparadise

i don’t need you to explain this bud as you’d just be repeating, but the ‘ ...... you’re just choosing a different way to lose’ if it doesn’t result in a win I find a terribly simplistic, non-contextual thing you say.

They may not have all the pieces/ talent right now to get over the line but the infernal that they’re just ‘choosing’ to lose, but with a smaller deficit or whatever, is a rather insulting branding of their efforts don’t you think?

Poor choice of words man. Whatever the analogy you were angling for.

Hail. 

11 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

@Skinsinparadise

i don’t need you to explain this bud as you’d just be repeating, but the ‘ ...... you’re just choosing a different way to lose’ if it doesn’t result in a win I find a terribly simplistic, non-contextual thing you say.

They may not have all the pieces/ talent right now to get over the line but the infernal that they’re just ‘choosing’ to lose, but with a smaller deficit or whatever, is a rather insulting branding of their efforts don’t you think?

Poor choice of words man. Whatever the analogy you were angling for.

Hail. 

I've explained my point in more detail more than just that post, though.  I'll simplify it:

A.  I understand the ball control method to win games.

B.  I've even argued especially last year that I am ok with the method

C.  In order for me to embrace the method it has to work

Why C?

To me this is a passing league -- the grind the clock out with running the ball isn't my preferred method to play.  I like the method to ice a game but I don't like it as the operative game plan.   So yeah i am one of those PFF, Warren Sharp, Football Outsiders types who do subscribe that the old school method to winning games has certain limitations.   I've posted a lot of Sharp's stuff on the board over the years including advance stats on subjects like this one.  And they are march harsher than me on that point. 

It's not about trying to crush you or anyone else liking Callahan.  I can take or leave Callahan based on what I've seen thus far.  Don't love him.  Don't hate him.  Like I've said anyone can hang to whatever floats their boat in this miserable season and I don't blame them for it.  But my feelings about ball control-time of possession type of play is static and has nothing to do with whose coaching the team.  There are upsides and downsides to the approach and I am not celebrating its natural upsides if the result is a loss.  To me part of the point of playing ball control, is you often win ugly.  To me I don't celebrate losing ugly.  ;)  That's all.  I'll celebrate ugly wins for sure.  Hopefully it happens today.   It's nothing personal to Callahan.  

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

They threw the ball like five times in the second half of a game they never led in.

It’s a new way to lose when you don’t even threaten to win with that strategy.

That was my first point on the subject when I commented.  We've gone apples to apples with opponents as to the style of grinding out the game -- and we come out on the short side of the stick.  If we start winning with it, then heck I'd be happy to complement it.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That was my first point on the subject.  We've gone toe to toe with opponents who grind out the game right there with this -- and we come out on the short side of the stick.  If we start winning with it, then heck I'd be happy to complement it.

And again they don’t have the tools to throw it consistently. Although why you’d think I’d be offended over any perceived Callahan slight I aren’t entirely sure?

I just think it’s a terrible slight on a team to suggest they aren’t trying to win. 

Which is all that does however you try reason it mate.

We’re trying to make the best of what’s currently at our disposal.

Hail.

3 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

And again they don’t have the tools to throw it consistently. Although why you’d think I’d be offended over any perceived Callahan slight I aren’t entirely sure?

I just think it’s a terrible slant on a team to suggest they aren’t trying to win. 

Which is all that does however you try reason it mate.

Hail.

I didn't suggest they aren't trying to win.  I think you are tying to come up with a spat that doesn't exist.  I am just talking football mate -- my thoughts on ball control style.   It's far from the first time I've discussed it.  That's all.  😀

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I didn't suggest they aren't trying to win.  I think you are tying to come up with a spat that doesn't exist.  I am just talking football mate -- my thoughts on ball control style.   It's far from the first time I've discussed it.  That's all.  😀

‘..... But if you lose, you are just choosing to lose in a different way.’ 

That inferred exactly that mate whatever angle you were looking for. (Which I fully get that point you’re trying to make.). 

Terrible choice of words and the connotations therein IMHO and I’ll leave it at that to save more thread space. 

Enjoy the game lid.

Hail.

5 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

‘..... But if you lose, you are just choosing to lose in a different way.’ 

That inferred exactly that mate whatever angle you were looking for. (Which I fully get that point you’re trying to make.). 

Terrible choice of words and the connotations therein IMHO and I’ll leave it at that to save more thread space. 

Enjoy the game lid.

Hail.

Obviously, Callahan and every coach believes in their method to win games.  And if they don't win its not something they choose to do on purpose. 

If you think that's what I was blatantly saying -- I couldn't disagree more. 

I just reread my posts and I didn't even infer that Callahan was losing on purpose.   But I am with you that if that's your takeaway of my point then I'd be one heck of a big moron because yeah of course coaches don't lose games on purpose.  

50 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

They threw the ball like five times in the second half of a game they never led in.

It’s a new way to lose when you don’t even threaten to win with that strategy.

But they're running the ball better.

Forget the fact that they've scored 35 points in the past 5 games. Which NO TEAM has matched such ineptitude in almost a decade.

We also played a team giving up over 35 a game during that stretch, lol.

On 10/29/2019 at 9:53 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

I think we are the perfect opponent for the Bills.  We haven't scored a TD for the last 9 quarters and really really struggle in the red zone.  Simply put, the Bills can grind with the best of them and the perfect grinding type opponent for them is one that doesn't do TDs.

Bills 21.  Redskins 10.  I bet we break the non TD streak we got going.

But it's OK. 😀

Not that far off.  I was wrong about the TD.  It's 3 games now plus.  That's the worst NFL streak this season and we got some inept offenses this year around the NFL.  I do think they indeed beat the Jets in 2 weeks but not sure if they win another one after that.  Maybe the Lions or NY Giants game but I doubt both.

I liked Haskins performance today better than what some I noticed thought of it on twitter.  He wasn't great but IMO he made some progress.  That's by far the main thing I care about this season -- Haskins.   Please start Haskins not Keenum versus the Jets.

Moving forward, while I was wrong today as for a TD, I predict they do it in 2 weeks against our old friend, Gregg Williams. 

Archived