Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Has Jay or anyone addressed the elephant in the room  IMO - is he moving Haskins under center? I think its safe to assume yes, that the next 4 months will be fully focused on teaching him how to QB from under center. Teach him steps drops rhythm... try to make him into Jay's prototypical QB. We hear about him being immobile.. Well, when do most traditional QBs need their mobility, its on all those 3, 5 and 7 step drops.  So I wonder how easy it will be for him with his hands in chase's crotch counting steps until the 2 minute warnings.

Meanwhile, i hope Jay is adding shotgun and hurry up to his playbook, much than he has in the past. I am not convinced that working from gun hurry up is a hindrance, to be avoided as much as he avoids it.  Its just something Jay has not embraced much. Meanwhile, we saw QBs decimating defenses from the gun over the years.  Haskins obviously dominated in gun / hurry.... will Jay cater his offense to his QB, at all?  It sure seems all the rage in the modern NFL.

The beauty of using gun/hurry up, a team doesn't have to practice the 2 minute drill separately. It is the most important part of the game, and should be practiced extensively. For guys like Jay, he prefers 2 different offenses.

How long does it take a gun only QB in college to convert, and what is the success rate?

18 hours ago, volsmet said:

Starting Haskins is tanking, I just want to win a SB. Haskins isn’t a part of that equation. Haskins is our QB because he went to Bullis. Had he gone to HS in Idaho he’d not be here.

I’ll have to respectfully disagree though I too thought Lock would be better for us (yet 41 times, 32 GMs didn't).  Let’s say Snyder’s son thought Haskins was a complete dickhead and knew his success was more related to the quality around him. I think that would emphatically work against Haskins being drafted by us. What is likely, therefore, is that Haskins is a solid guy. Haskins said in an interview he has never met Dan Snyder so its not like he’s the family friend. So, yes, his playing at Bullis helped him but likely in that he is a solid guy. It’s Haskins’ college career that likely was the majority reason of the decision to draft him. Im sure there are plenty of ex-Bullis QBs out there that will never get drafted by us or any other NFL team. 

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

How long does it take a gun only QB in college to convert, and what is the success rate?

He wasnt gun only. The majority of the time, for sure. But not only. Its not like these concepts will be new to him. 

To the rest of your post, I sure hope Jay will adapt the playbook to his skillset. You cant watch the dude do what he did in college and then have him come here and do none of what made him successful. That would be stupid. If Jay is that stupid he shouldnt be here. 

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

He wasnt gun only. The majority of the time, for sure. But not only. Its not like these concepts will be new to him. 

To the rest of your post, I sure hope Jay will adapt the playbook to his skillset. You cant watch the dude do what he did in college and then have him come here and do none of what made him successful. That would be stupid. If Jay is that stupid he shouldnt be here. 

I agree with you about adapting the playbook. But we have to see if he’ll be our starter first. A few people on NFL network think we should sit him for a year. But all agree he was a great pick.

Has Jay or anyone addressed the elephant in the room  IMO - is he moving Haskins under center? I think its safe to assume yes, that the next 4 months will be fully focused on teaching him how to QB from under center. Teach him steps drops rhythm... try to make him into Jay's prototypical QB. We hear about him being immobile.. Well, when do most traditional QBs need their mobility, its on all those 3, 5 and 7 step drops.  So I wonder how easy it will be for him with his hands in chase's crotch counting steps until the 2 minute warnings.

Meanwhile, i hope Jay is adding shotgun and hurry up to his playbook, much than he has in the past. I am not convinced that working from gun hurry up is a hindrance, to be avoided as much as he avoids it.  Its just something Jay has not embraced much. Meanwhile, we saw QBs decimating defenses from the gun over the years.  Haskins obviously dominated in gun / hurry.... will Jay cater his offense to his QB, at all?  It sure seems all the rage in the modern NFL.

The beauty of using gun/hurry up, a team doesn't have to practice the 2 minute drill separately. It is the most important part of the game, and should be practiced extensively. For guys like Jay, he prefers 2 different offenses.

This is a good point, but I think before they try to get him used to being under center they're going to have to clean up his footwork in general first. That's one reason I don't like the idea of him being thrown to the wolves. I don't doubt that Haskins has the intelligence and ability to learn to take snaps from under center but for me there isn't much point in doing that if his footwork overall needs to be improved a bunch first. And IMO it does.

I'm also really worried about the other elephant in the room...........charcoal or propane? Footwork can be fixed, using a gas grill is terminal. 

10 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Is it too early to start the rumor of urban Meyer as Redskins coach in 2020?

7 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I agree with you about adapting the playbook. But we have to see if he’ll be our starter first. A few people on NFL network think we should sit him for a year. But all agree he was a great pick.

We agree here too. Just looking at his past success....he sat for two years in college then lit the world on fire when he got his shot. They may not be why but it couldnt hurt him. I know it doesnt help the skins to sit him....but it helps him. And he can help the skins....i hope. We will see. Im rooting for him but hes far from a guarantee 

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

Is it too early to start the rumor of urban Meyer as Redskins coach in 2020?

Never lol

21 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I may have heard incorrect. I thought I heard on draft day that he "spent all his time" in gun.  I mean 100% will never happen with QB sneaks etc, and it may have just meant a majority etc,  but regardless thanks. 

I hope Jay adapts but it wasn't that long ago that all QBs no matter of their skill set, were square peg round holed by old school OCs into being a pocket passer that was mandated by an old dated playbook. Even if the QB struggled and losses mounted, OCs would rather get fired before simply inserting college plays into their playbook. Luckily, times have changed. Will Jay.

28 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This is a good point, but I think before they try to get him used to being under center they're going to have to clean up his footwork in general first. That's one reason I don't like the idea of him being thrown to the wolves. I don't doubt that Haskins has the intelligence and ability to learn to take snaps from under center but for me there isn't much point in doing that if his footwork overall needs to be improved a bunch first. And IMO it does.

I'm also really worried about the other elephant in the room...........charcoal or propane? Footwork can be fixed, using a gas grill is terminal

When we read about QB "mobility concerns" from scouts in general, is it possible it is almost code related to, or including drops?  I mean if there is a guy you dont give a rats ass about being immobile, its a pocket QB. Maybe a clunky or raw drop is more likely called "poor agility".... whatever skill it is, when a QB executes a 7 step drop, chin awkwardly over his left shoulder.  Maybe its simply called poor footwork. Shotgun cures an awful lot of that.

Footwork can fixed, but its more likely a career long project. Clearly, some fail to adapt at all, and their struggle is indeed terminal. The next elephant, will Jay be here when Haskins is ready.

16 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Will Jay.

Thats the burning question for me. I think he will. He adapted to Cousins compared to Dalton. I dont remember Dalton running all those boots. 

Also charcoal is obviously superior in flavor. But you cant discount the ability Propane gives you to get up at 4am and grill some steak and eggs half sleep. If Haskins is half as clutch as that **** right there we have nothing to worry about. 

24 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Thats the burning question for me. I think he will. He adapted to Cousins compared to Dalton. I dont remember Dalton running all those boots. 

Also charcoal is obviously superior in flavor. But you cant discount the ability Propane gives you to get up at 4am and grill some steak and eggs half sleep. If Haskins is half as clutch as that **** right there we have nothing to worry about. 

Charcoal is only superior in flavor, if your wait until the coals are ready.  Many a noob have thrown food on briquettes far too soon.  Let's just call it a toxic environment. Patience is rewarded. Will Dan and Bruce have that patience?  I need to check the Vegas OU of what game Jay gets the directive to play him... 5.5.  I will take the under.

Propane is ready to go with the push of a button. That is code for using a college stud QBs playbook.  Sometimes vets can learn a hand full of college plays easier than a rookie QB can learn an 800 page foreign playbook. Rolling propane provides instant offense, and affords the young QB to not have to learn the entire playbook before week 1.  Ease that fat ****ing out dated playbook in.

Its mind boggling that everyone accepted everything done by NFL coaches for decades, as law. Suddenly now, teams go for it on 4th down all over the field. Aggressively calling defensive timeouts to gain an extra possession. As we saw in that KC playoff game, letting a team score. Go for 2. But the biggest is OCs using a young QB to his strengths right away, and not wasting 3 prime years of a players career by making them hold a clipboard, to learn.

On 4/26/2019 at 8:32 AM, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Yeah but he went 15 lol Cmon. Its not like he fell to the second round. Noone had Haskins projected as a #1 overall. If this was Kyler Murray yes, i understand the frustration. 15 is a extremely respectable position to be drafted and I'm having a hard time agreeing with his assessment of being "disrespected " by the league. I mean how many teams actually passed on him 1 the Giants, maybe 2 in Miami ? but even then

I think his frustration is more about garbage azz Daniel Jones getting selected before him.......

I may have heard incorrect. I thought I heard on draft day that he "spent all his time" in gun.  I mean 100% will never happen with QB sneaks etc, and it may have just meant a majority etc,  but regardless thanks. 

You heard right. He’s shotgun only. I may have missed it, but every single quarterback I watched before the draft was also shotgun. I thought to myself if this is the future of the NFL. Murray, Lock, Jones, Haskins, Grier, Finley, Stidham, Minshew, etc..  all were primarily if not exclusively shotgun. 

Why is that?

42 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Charcoal is only superior in flavor, 

Not just flavor but higher heat and more importantly, full heat coverage. Like a QB that has all the tools to succeed. Gas is only hot in a few spots. If you read the instructions to a gas grill, it will say to heat for 8-10 minutes. That is so the diverters (the metal shields) can get hot enough to spread the heat around. But still there are cold spots. Kind of like a accurate QB but doesn’t have an arm to use the whole field. 

I own the Char-Broil Gas2Coal. It uses the gas burners to heat the coals in only 5-8 minutes of steak grilling bliss. But lazy days where I just want to grill some burgers, I’ll forgo the coals. Best of Both worlds. Like our new QB. 

39 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

You heard right. He’s shotgun only. I may have missed it, but every single quarterback I watched before the draft was also shotgun. I thought to myself if this is the future of the NFL. Murray, Lock, Jones, Haskins, Grier, Finley, Stidham, Minshew, etc..  all were primarily if not exclusively shotgun. 

Why is that?

Interesting.... and glad to know I heard correctly.

The NFL was thought to be the best of everything, but Kyle stealing pistol from Nevada? for RG3 and the read option, opened my eyes.  Colleges coarches had many things to offer the NFL ranks.

Maybe the coaches in college are going heavy gun because it eliminates mistakes related to the dropback, allows QBs to face the field vs looking over their left shoulder, allows for a better prenap view being off the LOS,  maybe being 5 yards from the line of scrimmage affords the QB more time to avoid hits.  Being in gun may also cut back on QBs getting blindsided injured and fumbling that happens on drops during blitzes.  I could go on.  But the easiest may be that its a turnkey offense that instantly lets a coach get the most out of his QB.

Didn't RG3 forget if he had a 3 5 or 7 foot drop a few times.

4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

But look at how his body language shows that he doesn't want to be drafted by the Redskins, though... (sarcasm emoticon here)

I don't see that at all.  I see a guy who is pissed he dropped to 15 where he believed he was better than the joke at #6.

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Maybe the coaches in college are going heavy gun because it eliminates mistakes related to the dropback, allows QBs to face the field vs looking over their left shoulder, allows for a better prenap view being off the LOS,  maybe being 5 yards from the line of scrimmage affords the QB more time to avoid hits.

Definitely, imagine Kyler Murray over center, he'd still need a step ladder to see the linebackers.  So viewing personnel and defensive motion to diagnos man or zone reads can't be achieved by a lot of QBs.  Just get a better view of the alignments. 

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

I don't see that at all.  I see a guy who is pissed he dropped to 15 where he believed he was better than the joke at #6.

He also "lost" 8 million Dollars by not getting drafted at position #6.

Archived