Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I actually want to see Haskins this year. Mostly for my own curiosity, so it’s fairly selfish.

But I didn’t advocate putting him in against NE, and neither did a lot of other people. I actually said McCoy should start that game and Haskins take over after. 

You can’t see a game like that Niners one coming, but he probably would have been okay handing the ball off 67 times like the game plan dictated, don't you think? In better conditions it’s scarier. 

I’m okay seeing him after the bye week. But even for non-selfish reasons, I think it’s important he gets on the field. Even if it’s for a single drive the next few weeks. Get some of his plays on tape. Get him coached up. 

If he lights it up, keep playing him. If he does decent to poor, keep with the plan. 

It’s unconventional, sure, but why not? He’s still fairly protected knowing he won’t be holding the whole game on his shoulders. 

Ive always targeted Hasksins starting after the bye, giving him some game experience going into 2020.

1. Haskins starts after bye

2. Trade Trent Williams before the deadline for a 1st + 3rd + TE

3. KO named head coach in offseason

4. Manusky let go, and Rex Ryan named Assistant Coach/Head Defensive Coach

5. Explore trading Kerrigan in the offseason. 

6. Make moves and draft WR/OL in the 1st round

7. TE/FS in the 3rd

8. HB in the 4th

Thats the game plan.

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

... And you all said " What harm could it be to throw Haskins in against New England or against the no.2 defense in a swamp ?"

Last night couldnt have been more clear that throwing the rook into those kinds of conditions could be disastrous. Darnold may have shellshock for months after that beating.

Ok, cool, so we leave the injured guy out there instead. Darnold is in year 2 and he's seeing ghosts. At which week would it be clinically impossible for him to see ghosts? Or is it something where they look at who they're playing, tell the players they're going to phone it in, and then start someone else? Maybe just bench Darnold against teams with winning records?

32 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Vikings and Bills going to turn us over so we're heading to 1-8 at the bye. After that we have 2, maybe 3 games we could actually be competitive in. 

Haskins will be getting flamed on here if he snags three wins and ruins our top 3 draft pick :rofl89:

If he looks good, I don't think most would care.  Nor should they.  Haskins being a good player is far more important than a good draft pick.

... And you all said " What harm could it be to throw Haskins in against New England or against the no.2 defense in a swamp ?"

Last night couldnt have been more clear that throwing the rook into those kinds of conditions could be disastrous. Darnold may have shellshock for months after that beating.

At some point or another, any QB is going to have to get hit with some adversity.  I don't know if I was chomping at the bit to give Haskins the start vs. New England but two things.  First, see what the guy is made out of.  See how he handles adversity the first time out.  Second, we were playing Miami the next week, so the road would get easier in comparison.

We'll see what Darnold is made out of in the next game he plays.  Can't make the world out of Nerf for everyone, especially in the NFL.  NFL teams spend truckloads of money to scout these guys, talk to their teammates, coaches, have them go through batteries of tests (physical and mental) to make sure they're making the right pick.  To make sure that these guys can handle the rigors of the NFL, again, both physically and mentally.  And quite frankly, their guess would be as good as yours or mine if we were afforded all the data they have access to.

But no one's been able to figure it out, 100%.  How's a guy like Ryan Leaf get picked?  How's a guy like Tom Brady last to the 6th round?  So you gotta play them.  You gotta figure out what you've got.  They have to play against a hard defense and also a soft one because...that's what happens in the league week to week.  If Darnold's got shellshock after that, well, I'd bet that Darnold wasn't cut out for the league anyway.  No matter who you are in the NFL, you're gonna get your ass kicked at one point or another.  You're gonna have a bad game.  Some can bounce back and make adjustments, some can't.  The NFL weeds these people out all the time.

25 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

But no one's been able to figure it out, 100%.  How's a guy like Ryan Leaf get picked?  How's a guy like Tom Brady last to the 6th round?  So you gotta play them.  You gotta figure out what you've got.  They have to play against a hard defense and also a soft one because...that's what happens in the league week to week.  If Darnold's got shellshock after that, well, I'd bet that Darnold wasn't cut out for the league anyway.  No matter who you are in the NFL, you're gonna get your ass kicked at one point or another.  You're gonna have a bad game.  Some can bounce back and make adjustments, some can't.  The NFL weeds these people out all the time.

So many layers to peel back and speculate about psychologically of what a number of setbacks can do to a players psyche and in this case a QB. I want to avoid establishing low ceilings of QB behavior, due to not being prepared. An example could be a QB creating comfort zones on passes 0-10 yards early on, due to not feeling confident early in career to look off a safety or get to 2nd or 3rd read, resulting in having a QB with a lower ceiling and on course to be average.

—Ryan Finley this past pre season comes to mind, he was being lauded for efficiency and stats, but the type of concepts and throws were not what was going to win in this league (admittedly, this is venturing a tad out of my scope, but it was what I felt when comparing Haskins and Finley lol)

This is just one random example, but I’m hopeful Haskins will have a great foundational understanding and overall confidence in playbook when given the opportunity. I don’t want an Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins to be end result. Both average to above QBs, but not game changers. Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but I will continue to root for greatness at that spot or a cheap guy. 

Some want a humble dude, but I’m all for him coming in feeling like he’s going to wreck the league, but backing it up with preparation along the way. 

Ive always targeted Hasksins starting after the bye, giving him some game experience going into 2020.

1. Haskins starts after bye

2. Trade Trent Williams before the deadline for a 1st + 3rd + TE

3. KO named head coach in offseason

4. Manusky let go, and Rex Ryan named Assistant Coach/Head Defensive Coach

5. Explore trading Kerrigan in the offseason. 

6. Make moves and draft WR/OL in the 1st round

7. TE/FS in the 3rd

8. HB in the 4th

Thats the game plan.

Awful. Just awful.

Sit back & imagine, if you would, how nice it would be to have an innovative plan with our young QB, how much better this season would be if we had started preparing DH to play every other week from week 4 on. Imagine how excited he’d be to get in and work, imagine how much the fans would enjoy seeing him, imagine having the film to review & imagine having the ability to invest the Smith contract in helping DH work through the mistakes he made in his last game ....for an entire week ...before he began preparing for the next matchup. 

E6DDFD86-D62F-4436-B07C-7EA98160C81F.gif

42 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Sit back & imagine, if you would, how nice it would be to have an innovative plan with our young QB, how much better this season would be if we had started preparing DH to play every other week from week 4 on. Imagine how excited he’d be to get in and work, imagine how much the fans would enjoy seeing him, imagine having the film to review & imagine having the ability to invest the Smith contract in helping DH work through the mistakes he made in his last game ....for an entire week ...before he began preparing for the next matchup.

I can imagine it. It's a hell where nobody gets comfortable in the offense because it keeps changing week in and week out.

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I can imagine it. It's a hell where nobody gets comfortable in the offense because it keeps changing week in and week out.

Imagine, if you would, a sober human suggesting it would be hell to break the comfort level of an offense that has put up a total of 90 points in 7 games. 

7E57EF76-4F0F-4941-9715-AD8B537E243D.gif

19 minutes ago, volsmet said:

It would be hellacious to break up the rhythm we’ve established.

13 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Imagine, if you would, a sober human suggesting it would be hell to break the comfort level of an offense that has put up a total of 90 points in 7 games.

Let's take our imagination to a different neighborhood of make believe: Imagine we let our poor, broken QB rest and put in some dude who's young, healthy, and a 1st round draft pick.

The only reason an injured QB should be left in the game is if he's Aaron Rodgers or better. Case is not. The only reason some old dude should be considered a starter is if he's clearly the better QB. Colt is not. Unless Case gets back to 100% and stops sucking vacuum cleaners, it's time to put them out to pasture for good. It's the merciful thing to do.

If the reason he still can't replace an injured QB is because he doesn't know how to relay a play in the huddle 7 weeks into the season, then he sucks. His suck would be fixable, but it doesn't change the fact that he would be 7 weeks behind UDFAs.

8 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Let's take our imagination to a different neighborhood of make believe: Imagine we let our poor, broken QB rest and put in some dude who's young, healthy, and a 1st round draft pick.

The only reason an injured QB should be left in the game is if he's Aaron Rodgers or better. Case is not. The only reason some old dude should be considered a starter is if he's clearly the better QB. Colt is not. Unless Case gets back to 100% and stops sucking vacuum cleaners, it's time to put them out to pasture for good. It's the merciful thing to do.

If the reason he still can't replace an injured QB is because he doesn't know how to relay a play in the huddle 7 weeks into the season, then he sucks. It's fixable, but it doesn't change the fact that he would be 7 weeks behind UDFAs.

6E40755E-4F0A-4625-9A58-348F4AAEC2CF.gif

Bill "Clipboard" Callahan's only hope of developing Haskins is via a run heavy play action offense.

Only, he doesn't seem willing to run play action. So if he does play Haskins, he will be passing in obvious passing downs, and tee'd off on all opponents smart enough to stunt on every passing down.

I don't think I can ever recall an OL so easily fooled by simple deception. I am not joking to pile on Clipboard Cally either. Our OL get fooled at every turn.

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I meant the Shanahans created s system for Griffin from day 1 and it never changed.  In 2012

Yeah, that would work too. But volsmet is proposing starting Haskins every other week and benching him each week inbetween. I very much disagree that it would benefit either Haskins or the team.

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

Yeah, that would work too. But volsmet is proposing starting Haskins every other week and benching him each week inbetween. I very much disagree that it would benefit either Haskins or the team.

Why not?

I mean, I saw your post above about the offense changing each week and no one being comfortable, but seeing as they’d both be playing within the bounds of the scheme and the offensive game plan already changes each week, I was wondering if you’d elaborate.  

11 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Yeah I wouldn’t do that.  I would give home 2-3 series a game just to get him out there and doing something they can put on film.

But Bruce wants to win, and they think 75 yards passing from Case is better.  Because they are stupid. 

QBs get changed every week and teams are able to function. Add a bit of preparation to the equation and you’re set. Your average QB & your rookie also have 2 weeks to get healthy & prepare for an opponent. Finding advantages in Jonestown isn’t easy, it’s just difficult to convince people they’re in Jonestown when it’s all they know.

Archived