Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Erosion Of The Redskins Fanbase

samy316

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

How about not being a total joke? You know, baby steps.

I know its a short timeframe, but over the past four games, on the field, the Skins have at least looked like a functional NFL team.  Whether we can sustain that in 2020 (and beyond) and hopefully contend in (currently) a weak division remains to be seen.

I was also excited to check the overall franchise record and see that we are still two games above .500. So, no matter what, we won't be a losing franchise by the end of the season. Woo hoooooo!

17 minutes ago, Csup said:

The young Haskins playing a good game today.   But boy - 2 bad defenses....

Giants D was bad last year and the veteran Sanchez had us with 0 points midway through the 3rd quarter last season, so I'll definitely take this.

But like you said......the Skins D, the supposed strength of this team heading into the season...…..just ugh. 

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

Giants D was bad last year and the veteran Sanchez had us with 0 points midway through the 3rd quarter last season, so I'll definitely take this.

But like you said......the Skins D, the supposed strength of this team heading into the season...…..just ugh. 

Lol.  You could have just stopped after uttering the name Sanchez.

Snyder has only to blame himself.  When he bought the team, it was a Redskins' town with some other teams filling up space in the sports section between Skins' news.  He fooled us so many times with hype over substance, sizzle over steak, why would any reasonable person still root for this team when there are better options out there.  And I say this as a fan since the Billy and Sonny debate.  It KILLS me to see what he has done.  It's not that I'm no longer a Skins fan; I find myself not caring.  It's something I could never have thought would ever happen to me.

6 minutes ago, maxiep said:

Snyder has only to blame himself.  When he bought the team, it was a Redskins' town with some other teams filling up space in the sports section between Skins' news.  He fooled us so many times with hype over substance, sizzle over steak, why would any reasonable person still root for this team when there are better options out there.  And I say this as a fan since the Billy and Sonny debate.  It KILLS me to see what he has done.  It's not that I'm no longer a Skins fan; I find myself not caring.  It's something I could never have thought would ever happen to me.

On the one hand, I'm encouraged by the way the team has played over the past 5 weeks, particularly Haskins.

On the other hand, the sheer length of the offseason more and more is serving to dampen my overall interest in the Skins. Sure, I'll watch the NFL playoffs, but can't get too excited anymore about who the Skins wind up choosing to coach the team next season. And there are two other pro teams in town, one defending a World Series championship, and a hockey team currently on fire, that are much more deserving of attention in the spring than the offseason exploits of the Redskins. 

On 12/22/2019 at 5:18 PM, hail2skins said:

Skins announced a crowd of just over 66K today, which is about the same as they announced for the Cowboys game last season, which was close to an actual sellout.

If that doesn't illustrate the funny accounting this team has used for attendance figures...…………….

Hahahaha, I was just joking above when I said 67k.  I was literally going to put 62k, and decided "No, Ill put a more absurd number on this 40k crowd) and just threw in a little extra.  

According to Dan and Bruce(for anyone that still thinks they have a shred of honesty and should be trusted), we have had almost a 10% attendance increase this season, despite the fans being much emptier than last year.  Actual average attendance this year(assuming they lied equally for the obvious games) was probably closer to 52k per game.

11 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

We're done.

Not with our fandom, but we're done throwing away money on season tickets.

Been attending games since the early 80's.

FML and **** you Dan Snyder.

Completely understand this decision, but still feels bad reading this and Sonny and Sam's post on Twitter this past Sunday indicating he's throwing in the towel as well. IIRC, you all sat in the 200s. I mainly sat in the club level for the past 20+ years. Didn't get to a game this season (mostly due to work), but the last game I went to at FedEx was in 2018 against Houston and was in the home side 200s for that game. Definitely felt an old school kind of vibe down there for that game, and its sad that longtime fans like you won't being occupying those seats any more. But we'll all enjoy our fandom as best we can, and, as jaded as the Skins have made me, the play over the past month has made me cautiously optimistic that we can have a decent season in 2020. 

2 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Completely understand this decision, but still feels bad reading this and Sonny and Sam's post on Twitter this past Sunday indicating he's throwing in the towel as well. IIRC, you all sat in the 200s. I mainly sat in the club level for the past 20+ years. Didn't get to a game this season (mostly due to work), but the last game I went to at FedEx was in 2018 against Houston and was in the home side 200s for that game. Definitely felt an old school kind of vibe down there for that game, and its sad that longtime fans like you won't being occupying those seats any more. But we'll all enjoy our fandom as best we can, and, as jaded as the Skins have made me, the play over the past month has made me cautiously optimistic that we can have a decent season in 2020. 

Sucks, doesn't it?

We're not quitting on the team, but am no longer going to throw good money, after bad.  The only way that changes is that the team is sold and or Bruce Allen and most of the staff is fired. That's not likely.

For clarification, we will not abandon our ES family at the tailgates,  (cooking for everyone is a labor of love) however,  I will not piss away $3K a season for this ****-show.

We keep giving them chance,  after chance, after chance, and have finally thrown in the towel. We will always bleed burgundy and gold, but will no longer play the fool.

IF we attend games, it will be on our terms, not theirs....

Just now, Skinsfan1311 said:

Sucks, doesn't it?

We're not quitting on the team, but am no longer going to throw good money, after bad.  The only way that changes is that the team is sold and or Bruce Allen and most of the staff are fired. That's not likely.

For clarification, we will not abandon our ES family at the tailgates,  (cooking for everyone is a labor of love) however,  I will not piss away $3K a season for this ****-show.

We keep giving them chance,  after chance, after chance, and have finally thrown in the towel. We will always bleed burgundy and gold, but will no longer play the fool.

IF we attend games, it will be on our terms, not theirs....

On 12/22/2019 at 9:26 PM, maxiep said:

I go back to those days as well.  I agree with all of your points.  But for some reason I still care.  I can't explain it, it's just the B&G has been in my blood since my dad took me to games at RFK.  I hate what Dan's ownership has done to the team but I'm still watching, rooting, and caring.  

FedEx had 90k plus during the Gibbs 2.0 era

The playoff game vs the Seahawks in Jan '13 was 84,325

The last playoff game vs the Packers had 81k 

The erosion of the fan base has been sudden and dramatic, and it tells me most people reached a breaking point in the last 3 seasons and are quite frankly finished. 

Combine that with 2 other teams in town winning titles in the last 18 months, and why bother? 

18 hours ago, Hooterman said:

I go back to those days as well.  I agree with all of your points.  But for some reason I still care.  I can't explain it, it's just the B&G has been in my blood since my dad took me to games at RFK.  I hate what Dan's ownership has done to the team but I'm still watching, rooting, and caring.  

e902348723ee69730108662122c33a08--i-care

10 hours ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

The erosion of the fan base has been sudden and dramatic, and it tells me most people reached a breaking point in the last 3 seasons and are quite frankly finished. 

I don't remember what the actual butts-in-seats optics were like in 2017. Last season you had Lafemina's policy of cutting out brokers driving up prices, and this season, after early visits from high profile teams (Cowboys and Pats) drove up attendance, the fact that the team was instantly out of contention gave people all the reason they need not to attend. 

I don't even know what the real numbers are anymore. Last season the Cowboys game was as close to packed as you can get and they recorded 66K. I didn't go to any game this season, but they were showing 75K for the Cowboys and Pats. Only difference is that I think they reopened the upper level SRO...….but would that result in the 9K difference?

Be interesting to see when the schedule is released next April, and if the Cowboys and Ravens are NOT part of the early season home slate, how the attendance is in the fall of 2020. 

10 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Be interesting to see when the schedule is released next April, and if the Cowboys and Ravens are NOT part of the early season home slate, how the attendance is in the fall of 2020. 

Well, if things are going like it's being reported in the Bruce Allen thread with guys like Raheem Morris or Marvin Lewis and Bruce being back...

60k at FedEx will be good attendance.

At this rate we'll concurrence the numbers of those Chargers in LA...

Archived