Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greg Manusky Why Isn't He Fired Yet?

desertbeagle85

On 9/15/2019 at 3:24 PM, KevinthePRF said:

The whole staff needs to go.  This team offense and defense excels coming out after halftime and looking like a JV team. 

I dont know why I have heard anyone saying this but I saw Rex Ryan on the sideline talking to Jay DURING the game last week.  I think we could easily make him the head honcho on D and Im betting we would INTSTANTLY have a top 10 D

1 hour ago, NeverSurrender said:

I dont know why I have heard anyone saying this but I saw Rex Ryan on the sideline talking to Jay DURING the game last week.  I think we could easily make him the head honcho on D and Im betting we would INTSTANTLY have a top 10 D

Rob Ryan is on staff (ILB). They look similar and neither one is any good. Just make sure you saw the correct one.

I wonder if Bruce is our de facto defensive coordinator.  Nah, i will just dismiss the blurb I read that Jay cannot fire Manusky. 

And dismiss the story we heard last year that Bruce was deciding who starts and who sits on defense.

Our DC looking like he has no DC experience at all.

You cannot say Greg Manusky without saying G...M... nvrmnd.  Nah, it's all a coincidence.

10 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

In a weird way I'm hoping for a high scoring game { hopefully the Redskins win } but if not its even better, it pushes " Mehadenuffsky " even closer to the door.

Against that defense?  I mean, it's football, any given sunday and whatnot...but the Bears D is too good.

40 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

In a weird way I'm hoping for a high scoring game { hopefully the Redskins win } but if not its even better, it pushes " Mehadenuffsky " even closer to the door.

Apparently they didn't replace him last year because Tomsula said he would leave if they fired him.  So, when they fire Manusky you also lose Tomsula.  Why?  I have no idea but that's what happened.  No option for Tomsula to replace Manusky either. Basically this team is stuck for the year in the tank.  Next year they'll clean house when they are at the bottom of the NFL and have a new Coaching staff moving into the Haskins era.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Lincoln Riley come into the position from Oklahoma.  He's said to be looking to move up to the NFL.  Would make sense.  

I may be alone but I think we can survive without Tomsula. Not that he is a bad coach.  But if he is tethered to Manusky, that's his choice.

With the talent we have up front, dare I suggest JT could be replaced and our D may actually do better.

Heh maybe he is trying to get fired to get the hell out of DC. Or knows Manusky is not calling the shots / not at fault.

What a mess.

Our DL hasn't played up to its potential.  I like Tomsula but if it means that Tomsula goes if Manusky is fired I'm all for it.  We need a defensive coach on this team to light some kind of fire and have the players on D play smart and with passion.  It isn't happening and hasn't happened under Barry or Manusky.  They are part of the problem, seems to me.  Then there is Bruce Allen.

I believe our next Head Coach should be a defensive minded coach.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but we always seem to go with the offensive minded coach as Head Coach.  I think Pettibon, was the last defensive minded coach we had.  I also realize that he did not work out so great either once he became Head Coach.  If we were to go this route next year I think it would also help in Haskins development.  

Having a vocal spittin'-and-a-cussin' D line coach is.... kinda played out. 

It's almost like they end up being half cheerleaders screaming all day throwing in the odd joke and us fans love them.  Sure, some kids are raw that come in here and need to learn or perfect techniques but its basically the same techniques for everyone across all teams.

IMO a bigger issue than coaching, is deciding how to use the players.  If he is tied to Manusky at the hip and the defense we saw in the first 2 weeks is primaryly their thinking and doing, see ya,  I am not seeing any ingenuity, let alone successes (the odd Payne play aside) enough to keep Tommy above scrutiny here. 

I think talented IDL guys should spend some time 1 gapping.  If they're talented (and ours are), give them opportunities to wreck the play before it begins.  We have 3 talented IDL, rotate which ones 1 gap, and the defense won't know exactly how to block the IDL every play.

If all we do is 2 gap, then we have to be perfect up front, as the o-lines blocking schemes will always be sound.

If we 1 gap on occasion, there's a chance the o-lines schemes fail.  We aren't giving offenses the opportunity to screw up without us doing anything.

You know who should be really good at some 1 gapping?  Daron Payne.  Alabama let him do that in 1 game and he dominated.  His timed 10 yard split at the combine was Aaron Donald fast

If Gruden wants to save his job, I would think that Manusky would be on a short leash.

Then again, I think Gruden wants to leave after the season, or doesn't care what happens, judging by the way he was joking about Hard Knocks and "If we don't make the playoffs, I won't be here next season anyway to do Hard Knocks"

Anyone hear Manusky today? 

It was painful to hear, saying he will still bring 4 maybe 5, but they need to work hard, get in there, get sacks. Beatniks let him off easy to not get blackballed.

He did say we need to coach better blah blah but... load up on chicago in DFS. Especially in Washington.  Easy money.

I knew bend dont break was coming but didn't think it would THIS bad.

Tuesday Headline, Mitchell Trubisky bounce back game, back on track etc

I suspect if the Bears blow it up in this game, Manusky is gone.  Having said that, I doubt the defense has a bad game on Monday.  Their wheel house last year was shutting down bad offenses.  So I suspect it happens here again. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/09/20/facing-pivotal-season-redskins-coach-jay-gruden-has-ramped-up-intensity/

and while Gruden said after the Dallas game that it was too soon to hit the “panic button” and that he didn’t plan to make any changes to his coaching staff, he was seen having a heated discussion with Manusky near the end of the game. Animated sideline exchanges are common in the NFL, but they take on a different level of significance when it involves a coach on the hot seat.

It would be interesting to see a poll of how many people on here think Manusky will be fired after the Chicago game Monday if the Skins lose and the D performs poorly again. On the other hand, keeping him around allows Gruden to point to him as the reason they are losing. That excuse goes away, at least for a while if Manusky is fired.

OCs have had lots of time to figure out how to dissect our defense since we run the same D all the time, and did last year as well.

Our D getting shelled is by design.  We give up body blows in a feeble effort to slow the game down and keep the total score down. If we had no passing game like last year it's a D to consider, since our offense couldn't play from behind. It worked to a 6-3 record with <200 yard passing games.  Alex took few chances at all, so we played very conservative on both sides. Well the worm has turned and suddenly we can pass, so there is no need for the Dr. Ben Dover at all.

Jay has the games scripted all wrong. He foresaw facing stout Ds and his O getting stuffed, but his passing O keeps punking him out. We're winning?  He is still not trusting his own eyes that Noob WRs + Penn + Flowers + Case can keep posting 300 yards games.  No Reed, no Guice, No Trent even No Doctson... He is probably so confused and perplexed.  I think he'll stick to the conservative plan expecting the Bears to be stout and his passing O crashing to earth. He is shorting his own O.

I think Jay is telling Greg to run BDB and Greg is failing to run it effectively. No surprise as it's tough to get off the field when you never blitz, show no deception, and try and play it straight up 1970s style.  If our soft  D looks confused Monday night maybe we'll see Greg get axed but fear Ryan will just get a handful more blitzes to work with.

Which is maybe all we need.  If not blitzing = worst D in the league, only a few blitzes / stops at key times can be difference makers.  Since bringing the house on 1st is not in our playbook, how about bring em all blitzing on the handful of 3rd and longs?  Especially if we get another lead. It seems too easy for a fan to figure out heh.

Through 2 weeks our 3rd down conversions allowed, is something like 3rd worst in league history.

Or some ****, we don't have to hear Galdi to know what we saw. Manusky with his playbook closed bringing the exact same rush the entire game. Rush 4, and every 10th snap, rush 5.  At that point rushing 5 is probably detrimental since that subtle change will make someone botch an assignment.

Part of me hopes Manusky saying we are going to bring 4 or 5 is gamesmanship and we're going to see a badass pressure package like we've never seen. Then I realize that I am not dreaming and I am actually awake.

Manusky's saving grace, assuming he's not taking us all for a wild ride here, is that Jon Allen is in the lineup. That changes absolutely everything up front. Now they can't double Payne on every play because then they leave Allen one on one. Add not having our DEs rush 8 yards up field on a contain pressure on every down and the defense could be successful without bringing any added pressure. But that still makes us predictable.

Archived