Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greg Manusky Why Isn't He Fired Yet?

desertbeagle85

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So I agree with you.  But Dan honestly thinks he has done exactly what you are asking him to do.  Twice.

He promoted Vinny to EVP and allowed him to pick the roster and coach.  And it failed spectacularly.

Then after be fired Shanahan, he promoted Bruce and gave him roster control and ability to pick the coach.  Bruce,  don’t forget, won executive of the year at one point, so had some credentials. Which is how we ended up with no search and Gruden.

I said this yesterday, it’s not the structure that’s the problem.  It’s the people in the structure.  

For whatever its worth, Bruce is a lifelong football exec who has, on paper, the credentials to run a team.  But he’s miserable at it and the track record in Tampa and the Skins proves it.  

The issue is Dan hires the wrong people who then hire the wrong people and it’s all a mess and a half.

Please don’t take any of this as a defense of Dan or Bruce.... just extrapolating on facts...

We are saying exactly the same thing -

4 hours ago, goskins10 said:

hire a GM that has a strong football acumen

He may think he has done this but he has not. Bruce may have been around football all his life but he didn't learn much so he does not have a strong football acumen. He knows the business side of it and in fairness he has kept the team from being overly CAP strapped and outside one big trade he has held onto draft picks. But he has done almost nothing with both of those advantages. I think I saw near the end of last year vinnie and bruce have almost identical records. Too lazy to look it up right now. But I am pretty sure its not too far off.

Also Bruce is President. They technically do not have a GM. Doug told us they didn't need one, It's a group thing. Love Doug but that may be one of the dumbest things he has ever said in public.

The only benefit of bruce over vinnie is the next person will not start out behind a big CAP problem and/or no draft picks. 

Doing worse than a team trying to tank, with what was supposed to be the strength of the team....  injuries are a factor yes but we are confused on defense.

You know the easiest scheme. GO GET THE QB. 

That is one way the BDB fails. We run far too many plays on defense, where guys have to think. We lead the league in % of players forced to overthink presnap.  Injuries exacerbates that sure but then when injuries strike, the DC HAS to keep it simple.  I actually think guys love to hear their number called on a blitz, and unknowingly give more effort. Here is the kicker, without even thinking. Just go man.

Sucks we got a stud in the box SS and he is stuck thinking on every play.

Our coaches blame our players for 'mental mistakes' when the blame is clearly on the coaches here.  They are asking too much. When you have 7 guys on difficult assignments, guess what, you have 7 chances for one breakdown. When those same 7 get to attack the QB in a proper jail break, you only have 4 guys at risk of blowing it mentally.

I am preparing myself for a ton of rush 3 overthink 8 on monday night. Get Trubby back on track after being on the run from waves of blitzers last night.

33 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Doing worse than a team trying to tank, with what was supposed to be the strength of the team....  injuries are a factor yes but we are confused on defense.

You know the easiest scheme. GO GET THE QB. 

Exactly! The skins are thinking backwards. They are focused on "Not giving up the big play" and they dont do many blitz's, stunts, etc.  

Logic being we will drop people into coverage to stop the big play and "We have to do this because of injuries and young".

its backwards thinking.  Give almost any NFL QB enough time and he will pick a defense apart.  

EVEN if you stop the big plays (Which somehow - we still don't) - You have the other teams offense controlling the clock and just marching down the field.

Its backwards!  Send the house. If your talent in week or new in the Defense backfield -Send more!  Look - Ideally you stop the run cold but crowding the line.  You rush the QB so he is never comfortable.  On the long plays where guys are open deep the goal is to not give the QB enough time to see them open, set their feet, and get the ball downfield. 

Worse case -you give up the big play - but then the defense is off the field again, can rest / recover - and the offense has the ball back. 

Id RATHER take my chances and the the other team score 4 TD's from 40+ yards plays in a bunch of 2 min drive and then tell our offense to control the clock and score the last TD - Then for the other team to take these 8,9 even 10 mins drives, tire our defense out, watch our offense get cold, and score 4 TD's and leave not enough time on the clock to come back.

Its backwards to think you need to drop more people in coverage to help-  RUSH the QB and throw him off his game.  

36 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

Exactly! The skins are thinking backwards. They are focused on "Not giving up the big play" and they dont do many blitz's, stunts, etc.  

Logic being we will drop people into coverage to stop the big play and "We have to do this because of injuries and young".

its backwards thinking.  Give almost any NFL QB enough time and he will pick a defense apart. 

Great post - adding in all the perks of keeping it simple

We are in the stone-age for advanced stats - but still, why don't we see league side success rates of blitz 6 after 2 weeks of data??  Dammit I will do it myself.

I feel like a team should aggressively blitz roughly once every 4-? plays.  And I think its beautiful to start games like that. Test the QBs meddle immediately. 

Dan has a predictable routine when it comes to coach turnover.

After the untested coordinator comes the big name retread.  

Looking forward to the 2020 Rex Ryan lead Redskins with OConnell running the offense.

Defense looks improved because he simplifies it, Haskins becomes Sanchez version 2.0 and keeps us in games.

Then after about a year, Ryan will do something stupid PR related, the team will self implode,  and fans and media will gleefully have their excuse to cue the circus music again.

7_N5AAXfEguectTbocTUlVRgk18=.gif

Since these guys can't cover well how about just send one of them on a blitz damn near every play. When the QB has to hurry up and throw not enough time for defensive mental mistakes to happen. Just instinct can take over. No rush is once again at fault here. Amazing the Skins can't get it right. Bring the heat and watch things change

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Great post - adding in all the perks of keeping it simple

We are in the stone-age for advanced stats - but still, why don't we see league side success rates of blitz 6 after 2 weeks of data??  Dammit I will do it myself.

I feel like a team should aggressively blitz roughly once every 4-? plays.  And I think its beautiful to start games like that. Test the QBs meddle immediately. 

I love that Sonny avatar you have. Sonny was the real deal. 

53 minutes ago, Tuck28 said:

I'm with Sonny.  Blitz and play man as much as possible.  I would think playing man is the easiest thing for a DB.  Less thinking could help everyone out.  IMHO.

Man is actually fairly complicated on switches and such. There is really no such thing as an easy coverage scheme, but zone lets the DBs play with their eyes and lets them get involved in the run game. Man is tougher because there is no guarantee you have safety help depending on the man scheme behind you (mixed, 0, 1). A lot of times, in zone, you can play a trail technique due to over the top help with it. 

All of this is dependent on scheme for the most part. But zone is a DB's dream. Man exposes them.

There's a reason we don't blitz much and its as much personnel as it is scheme.

Collins in the box is our only interior player thats good. Have yall seen Bostic or SDH try and penetrate? Our most solid MLB atm is our 5th round rookie who is not the guy you send on a blitz. (not a knock) Mckinzy can pressure and get held like a mofo too.

The secondary is banged up and what ya'll want to see someone like Nicholson blitz? Mooreland is physical.... can send him. 

Our blitzes are SLOWWWWWWW. Qbs eat them up.

14 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

The short reason he hasn't been fired yet is Norval Gruden would recognize anyone taking Manusky's place who does it half-decently could be a threat to himself. No need to rock his own boat. Norval has only had DC's who duck-diddly-uck and are no threat to him.

Why would he care? He doesn't want to be here and is actively trying to get fired. They tried to get rid of Manusky, no one wanted to come here.

9 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Why would he care? He doesn't want to be here and is actively trying to get fired. They tried to get rid of Manusky, no one wanted to come here.

If his end goal really is to just get fired, he's doing a bang-up job of it in terms of especially wins and losses. Don't know how some of his stubbornness and pettiness with AP is going to look on a resume, though.

1 minute ago, ntotoro said:

If his end goal really is to just get fired, he's doing a bang-up job of it in terms of especially wins and losses. Don't know how some of his stubbornness and pettiness with AP is going to look on a resume, though.

He'll get a Coordinator job without a doubt, if not another HC job. He has the built-in 2nd chance qualifier: "I had to work under Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder"

I don’t blame Manusky for playing four man fronts, especially considering how much pressure these guys created last year and how shaky our secondary is.  What I do blame him for is not switching it up when that so obviously hasn’t worked since Allen went out.  

Safeties, ILBs, corners - all of these guys should be having pass rush opportunities.  Even if they aren’t successful, 1) you’re trying something different, 2) you now have offenses concerned about where a blitz might come from, and 3) what’s the worst that could happen? (hint: we’re already seeing the worst).  Added to that, now future opponents have to spend time game planning and practicing for blitzes potentially coming from anywhere.  

Manusky isnt fired yet because quite simply, to fire him right now is to fire Gruden.  Gruden hired him and chose him over other candidates.  Then, when he could have hired someone else this offseason, he kept Manusky.  He literally had him the whole offseason, and all preseason, and said everything looked good.  To then 2 games later fire that coach is to basically say you are an incredibly stupid moron and have no idea what you are doing, so at that point Gruden would have to be fired too.

Pro Football Reference just released some new Defensive Stats.  From my count, only 9 times has a non Line-of-scrimmage guy been sent on a blitz.  I believe we've faced 71 pass dropbacks.

On 71 pass attempts, we've sent a total 9 unexpected pass rushers (LB, CB, S, etc). 

Let's compare this to a well known good defense, the Baltimore Ravens. 

On 78 pass attempts, the Ravens have sent a total of 50 unexpected pass rushers.

78 plays

P.S. Something to note, that could be 9 blitzes total, or a blitz could send multiple extra guys.  A Cover-0 blitz might send 3 (or 4) unexpected pass rushers on a single play.  So we can't tell how often each team has blitzed, just average number of unexpected pass rushers per passing play.

Redskins average - 0.127 unexpected pass rushers per passing play

Ravens average - 0.641

So, the Ravens are 5 times as likely to send an unexpected pass rusher than we are.

Now the Ravens played an awful Miami team, and they probably have their numbers inflated because of that.  Let's compare that to the two teams that just beat us.

Eagles - 0.371 unexpected blitzers per passing play.  (89 passing plays, 33 unexpected rushers)

Cowboys  - 0.23 unexpected blitzers per passing play.  (87 passing plays, 20 unexpected rushers)

The team we're about to play also has the same numbers as the Cowboys:

Bears - 0.23 unexpected blitzers per passing play.  (87 passing plays, 20 unexpected rushers)

TL;DR Any way you shake it, in 2019 the Redskins have not brought the heat.

Archived