Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

I'm kind of mixed on the deal. Vrana is a young player but he was inconsistent. He was benched for a bit and then started again for a few before the trade. I guess if the Caps thought they found an upgrade good for them.

I mean the upside is there with Vrana but he is also inconsistent. He had a good start last year but faded out late. It also always seems like we give up on these forwards like Burakovsky (who is doing okay in Colorado) and Marcus Johansson (who played on some cup final teams i.e. Boston)

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Mantha feels like a solid upgrade for our Cup window this year and next.  Vrana likely gone next year in big money deal we wouldn’t/couldn’t match.  Mantha under contract through 2025.

Lets play some heavy hockey!

I wonder if Detroit retained any of his salary? Mantha is 6’5”, he is indeed a unit 

• Like 1

Seemed like laviolette was getting frustrated with vrana, so not surprised. Sucks to lose our fastest player on a team that already struggles with that, but will be cool to have 2 Wilson's. And like other's have said, we were gonna lose vrana after this year anyway and get nothing for him

Mantha is an upgrade over Vrana, but the Caps gave up way too much here.  Mantha and a 2nd for Vrana would've been fair.  I know Mantha brings a good physical element to the game, but he has never had more than 50 points in his career, and he currently has as many goals as Conor Sheary.  He's not Cam Neely (or Tom Wilson).

Throwing in a 1st was ridiculous.  Even if it was to sweeten the pot to get Panik's contract off the books, that's a fleecing.  Wow, not sure what GMBM is thinking here.

Edited by capcrunch98
  • Thanks 1

This trade is the result of GMBM handing out some really stupid ****ing contracts. This is an EG move with the Wiz. Use a pick to get rid of a bad contract. As far as Vrana goes, he could've been traded after the season as well to a team that wanted to be able to sign him long term or match. This team is slower and that's gonna hurt if they make it to play a team like Carolina. 

I don't really have a problem moving Vrana for this guy. I'm just annoyed at the bad contracts that lead to having to move a young soon to be RFA. 

• Like 2

Hopefully this Capitals can park this big guy Mantha right in front of the opposing net,and he can hammer some goals in, like they do with TJ, still would like to see Kuzzy get going and heat up here, especially when the playoff tournament starts, Capitals are going to need Kuzzy scoring goals 

And to add salt to the wound, this deadline was totally a buyers market.  Very few contending teams gave up much in the way of legitimate prospects or high draft picks.  Yet we gave up a 1st, a 2nd, and a speedy 25-goal scorer who is still young and has upside.  All just to dump a 4th liner, and to get a guy who according to every Detroit message board and media outlet I've scanned today says is "having a down year" after signing his fat contract last summer.

I just haven't been this baffled by a Caps trade since the Forsberg brain fart (sorry for bringing it up!).  I'm hoping there's more to Mantha's game than I know about.

I'm of the opinion that Vrana's off-ice behavior had a lot to do with his consistency issues. A few months back, I was Face-Timing with this girl (my buddy was hooking up with her at the time) who "hangs out" with a ton of different DC athletes.  (Yes, she was a total smokeshow!)

Anyway, she was telling me how much Vrana and another young talented player with consistency issues who I won't name here (should be pretty obvious) both absolutely love their cocaine.  From the sound of it-- they both go pretty hard on the booger sugar.  She told me some pretty wild stories about away games that made me nervous about both of these guys' long-term futures.

Perhaps the organization caught wind of some of these activities and decided to move forward? 

21 minutes ago, LaRonDontLikeUgly said:

I'm of the opinion that Vrana's off-ice behavior had a lot to do with his consistency issues. A few months back, I was Face-Timing with this girl (my buddy was hooking up with her at the time) who "hangs out" with a ton of different DC athletes.  (Yes, she was a total smokeshow!)

Anyway, she was telling me how much Vrana and another young talented player with consistency issues who I won't name here (should be pretty obvious) both absolutely love their cocaine.  From the sound of it-- they both go pretty hard on the booger sugar.  She told me some pretty wild stories about away games that made me nervous about both of these guys' long-term futures.

Perhaps the organization caught wind of some of these activities and decided to move forward? 

Pics of said girl or it didn’t happen (jk, but Vrana probably partied with Kuznetsov a lot, not jk) 

• Like 1