Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

5 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

On Mantha - he is a better player than Vrana and may more versatile. Jake has no physical presence, does not play any defense and is speed or nothing. Now that speed is a massive asset and he could develop into a 30-goal scorer given a new role on a new team with proper PP time, but for Lavi's system it doesn't work. If Mantha is motivated he can do much more all over the ice.

The 1st rounder hurts but player for player we win and Panik is addition by subtraction because he was overpaid and it was going to be worse now that the cap will not go up for probably two years. We get a very good, borderline 1st line player under team control for three years. Vrana was due a huge pay day at season's end, and would have cost too much. Better to get something for him than nothing.

It will be interesting to see how Mantha does. This is certainly his best opportunity to reach his potential. Agree about Panik. I've been a constant critic of GMBM's contracts he gives out like candy. 

Having said that, there is a bit of Vrana undervaluing going on. Vrana's numbers have always been trending up. Even in a down year, he was putting up good numbers. Maybe he didn't fit Lavi's system and I understand the idea of getting something for him before he walks, but giving up additional assets in a first and a second is a lot. 

32 minutes ago, Hersh said:

It will be interesting to see how Mantha does. This is certainly his best opportunity to reach his potential. Agree about Panik. I've been a constant critic of GMBM's contracts he gives out like candy. 

Having said that, there is a bit of Vrana undervaluing going on. Vrana's numbers have always been trending up. Even in a down year, he was putting up good numbers. Maybe he didn't fit Lavi's system and I understand the idea of getting something for him before he walks, but giving up additional assets in a first and a second is a lot. 

Yeah but Vrana was in a contract year so they either had to make a trade or overpay, again, and hope he finally reaches his potential. No I think they made the correct move.  

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah but Vrana was in a contract year so they either had to make a trade or overpay, again, and hope he finally reaches his potential. No I think they made the correct move.  

If the worry is losing him for nothing, they could’ve traded him in the off-season and come out ahead as far as additional assets go. Teams also trade RFAs after the season so that team has the ability to match a contract. 

I don't think the Panik contract was that bad.  It looked like it would be after he under performed last year, but this year I think he was living up to what we wanted out of him... but at the same time, we've gotten great value in so many other bottom six forwards, especially with Sprong and Sheary coming in this season and commanding playing time, that it left Panik as an odd-man-out, which then makes his contract look bad.

Love the new Sheary contract.  Great value considering how he's performed for us this year.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I don't think the Panik contract was that bad.  It looked like it would be after he under performed last year, but this year I think he was living up to what we wanted out of him... but at the same time, we've gotten great value in so many other bottom six forwards, especially with Sprong and Sheary coming in this season and commanding playing time, that it left Panik as an odd-man-out, which then makes his contract look bad.

Love the new Sheary contract.  Great value considering how he's performed for us this year.

It's one of the more reasonable contract extensions he's given out. It's gonna be interesting to see which player the Kraken take from the Caps. 

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

It's one of the more reasonable contract extensions he's given out. It's gonna be interesting to see which player the Kraken take from the Caps. 

Not looking forward to seeing it happen again.  It cut me deep when they took Schmidt away from us after we benched him in favor of Shattenkirk in the playoffs.  Then again, we did with the cup after the last expansion draft, so let's go for a repeat of history.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Not looking forward to seeing it happen again.  It cut me deep when they took Schmidt away from us after we benched him in favor of Shattenkirk in the playoffs.  Then again, we did with the cup after the last expansion draft, so let's go for a repeat of history.

I really didn't like losing Schmidt. However, there really isn't anyone on the roster now that fits that same situation of a younger player getting better and better. BTW, I didn't even realize he was in Vancouver now. 

Edited by Hersh

19 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I really didn't like losing Schmidt. However, there really isn't anyone on the roster now that fits that same situation of a younger player getting better and better. BTW, I didn't even realize he was in Vancouver now. 

Vancouver is full of ex-caps