Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

I can’t speak to what went down in 1992. But I can unequivocally guarantee you, just like with HQ2 in 2018 … that this was done alongside politicians, City Council, and everyone that would need to approve the deal. Nobody was in the dark.

Now the local citizens may be up in arms. But the politicians have a read. No chance they’d repeat 1992. Due diligence would have been done for months in this. 

also, not the same Potomac yard. They’ve got HQ2 up the road and VT innovation campus right there and just opened a brand new metro stop. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I can’t speak to what went down in 1992. But I can unequivocally guarantee you, just like with HQ2 in 2018 … that this was done alongside politicians, City Council, and everyone that would need to approve the deal. Nobody was in the dark.

Now the local citizens may be up in arms. But the politicians have a read. No chance they’d repeat 1992. Due diligence would have been done for months in this. 

also, not the same Potomac yard. They’ve got HQ2 up the road and VT innovation campus right there and just opened a brand new metro stop. 

This whole thing is sad and stupid, but I agree with you. NoVA in general is a very different place than it was 30 years ago, and that area has become more built-up and urbanized. 

I doubt Youngkin would do a public appearance on it if he thought this was just a negotiation tactic. DC blew it.

19 minutes ago, profusion said:

This whole thing is sad and stupid, but I agree with you. NoVA in general is a very different place than it was 30 years ago, and that area has become more built-up and urbanized. 

I doubt Youngkin would do a public appearance on it if he thought this was just a negotiation tactic. DC blew it.

Glenn is doing this for attention, the final decision goes beyond him. If/when it falls through he can just blame the local government. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

The more I've had to sleep on it the more I'm accepting. I'd be more pissed if they moved further away but this is such a lateral 4-mile move that I'm not angry. Of course if I were still in MD going to the games I'd be livid.

I am coming from Ellicott City MD. I take the Green/Yellow line to Gallery Place. It adds 7 stops on the Yellow line. Which maybe adds 15-20mins. It sucks because DC is losing the Teams. But this isnt going to stop me from going.  

People are going to point to crime in the future, as a reason why the owner decided to leave DC, but it's just greed and capitalism at the end of the day.  This will be a devastating blow for that part of town, and I can see it descending back into what it was before 1997.  DC has been backsliding towards the 80s and 90s unfortunately when it comes to crime and lawlessness, and this move will gut the Downtown area.  There's been close to 1,000 carjacking's in DC in 2023, and the number of homicides just reached 260, the highest number since 2002.  DC has GOT to stat doing something about the crime and lawlessness, before more businesses and people move away from the city.

2 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Honestly I don't know whats wrong with the current arena

Some people have commented on the neighborhood not being hip enough, but I don't really have time to do much besides go to the game

This still will require a metro transfer for me from the Silver line so its a big meh for me

There have been issues with the area within the last few years.  The number of patrol cops and cars has decreased significantly, to the point that there are only 3 patrol cops guarding the area during game nights, when the teams requested that at least 30 cops patrol the area.  Several businesses and stores have closed up (including the McDonalds right next to the arena).  The area is seeing a big increase in robberies and carjacking's.  That whole region is descending back into the mess it was 25-30 years ago.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 2

It's really crazy that people are acting like this is a done deal.  

To be clear, the "vote" that "approved" this development was made by the VA "Major Employment and Investment Project Approval Commission" which has the power to make endorsements of projects and provide reports, and that's it.  https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/30-312/

Youngkin is hyping it up so he can look like he's doing stuff after getting his ass kicked in the election.  Leonsis is hyping it because it gives him a ton of leverage over DC if he actually wants to stay in DC.  But the plan still needs to be approved by the state legislature and Alexandria city, the later of which has fought against projects exactly like this in the exact same site. https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/1997/stadium/timeline/1992/alexaban.htm

Washington Redskins owner Jack Kent Cooke and Gov. L. Douglas Wilder yesterday abandoned their plan to build a stadium at Potomac Yard in Alexandria, as Cooke rejected concessions that Wilder said were necessary to keep the proposal alive.

The announcement was cause for celebration in Alexandria, where many city residents and virtually all city officials had bitterly opposed the stadium. Citizens Against the Stadium, a community group that led the fight, said the plan's failure "is a powerful example of ordinary citizens prevailing over the powerful and greedy."

I'm not saying it isn't a serious possibility, but I am saying it has a lot of difficult hoops to get through. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It's really crazy that people are acting like this is a done deal.  

To be clear, the "vote" that "approved" this development was made by the VA "Major Employment and Investment Project Approval Commission" which has the power to make endorsements of projects and provide reports, and that's it.  https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/30-312/

Youngkin is hyping it up so he can look like he's doing stuff after getting his ass kicked in the election.  Leonsis is hyping it because it gives him a ton of leverage over DC if he actually wants to stay in DC.  But the plan still needs to be approved by the state legislature and Alexandria city, the later of which has fought against projects exactly like this in the exact same site. https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/1997/stadium/timeline/1992/alexaban.htm

I'm not saying it isn't a serious possibility, but I am saying it has a lot of difficult hoops to get through. 

Reading the updated story this morning, It sounds like the Alexandria city government is onboard this time. This has clearly been in the works for some time, and it sounds like the process is far along. I doubt they'd have announced it if there was huge uncertainty about the votes.

Just for the record, I think it's ridiculous and that the Caps and Wiz should stay where they are. Moving them downtown in the '90s was one of the best things that's happened to sports in this area in a long time, and it'd be a shame to see that go in reverse. From the stories, it does sound like Abe Pollin stuck the organization with a bad agreement with the District. I don't blame Leonsis for trying to get out of that, but it'd still be a shame to see the teams leave downtown. Of course, the Wiz are just an NBA afterthought, anyway.

5 minutes ago, profusion said:

Reading the updated story this morning, It sounds like the Alexandria city government is onboard this time. This has clearly been in the works for some time, and it sounds like the process is far along. I doubt they'd have announced it if there was huge uncertainty about the votes.

Just for the record, I think it's ridiculous and that the Caps and Wiz should stay where they are. Moving them downtown in the '90s was one of the best things that's happened to sports in this area in a long time, and it'd be a shame to see that go in reverse. From the stories, it does sound like Abe Pollin stuck the organization with a bad agreement with the District. I don't blame Leonsis for trying to get out of that, but it'd still be a shame to see the teams leave downtown. Of course, the Wiz are just an NBA afterthought, anyway.

You appear to be correct.  The Mayor and City Council do appear to be on-board, but they are also going to have some fights on their hands.  Super-lib and crazy rich Alexandrians are going to get VERY NIMBY about this (as they do with everything, to a very annoying degree). 

https://www.alxnow.com/2023/12/13/just-in-washington-capitals-and-wizards-are-officially-moving-to-potomac-yard/ (this was updated at 10:50 this morning). 

AEDP said the development will still need to go through a community engagement process, with community meetings and workshops, which it said will kick off in early 2024.

In the release, Alexandria Mayor Justin Wilson called the move a direct result of the work on the Potomac Yard Metro station.

“Alexandria’s ability to attract this ambitious project is a direct result of the success of previous investments made in Potomac Yard and across our City,” said Wilson. “A project this special will help the City realize our collective strategy and the vibrant vision for this neighborhood and for our City as a whole.”

With large-scale development in Alexandria, though, comes arguments around density and traffic impacts. Some Alexandria residents already aren’t happy with the move, which comes 30 years after Alexandria leaders rebuffed a proposed football stadium for the Washington Redskins (now the Commanders).

“Imagine typical rush hour traffic on the George Washington Parkway and Route 1 and then throw in a playoff hockey game at 7 p.m.,” said Mark Haney, a local resident. “Madness.”

Fresh off a fight over single-family-only zoning, Roy Byrd, Chair of the Coalition for a Livable Alexandria, told WJLA there was real concern about gridlock and traffic along Route 1 that would be exacerbated with the new arena.

At the meeting, Youngkin’s speech was accompanied by a chorus of boos and jeers from outside of the tent.

“We want you here,” said Wilson.

“We don’t want you here,” someone outside of the tent shouted.

Some protestors gathered outside of the tent.

“There’s been no plans presented to the public,” said one Potomac Yard resident protesting the move. “What about the environmental impact? There are wetlands here. We found out about this plan this week. Where’s the transparency?”

One of the only acknowledgements of the battles ahead came from Senator Mark Warner.

“Our job is to make sure neighborhoods adjacent, here in Potomac Yard and in Del Ray, feel engaged and know their quality of life will be protected and, at the end of the day, their quality of life will be improved,” said Warner. “We’re going to need to be missionaries out in to the community to hear concerns, legitimate and otherwise.”

City Council members said after the announcement that transportation planning would be a major focus of the public planning process following the announcement.

“This is not a done deal yet,” said City Council member Kirk McPike. “There is a lot of negotiation and a lot of discussion, both between the people on the stage but also between Alexandria and our residents. Traffic conditions are going to be a major concern.”

McPike said the city will try to incentivize Metro use over driving, but there will also be improvements to the nearby roads to accommodate drivers.

“We will address transportation issues, a lot of our investments locally will be about improving the roadways and improving the flow of traffic, which we’ll have to do anyway as this area develops out.”

City Council member Sarah Bagley said the project will still need to have a public development special use permit process.

“[This project] is going to go through a similar public process, though the Planning Commission and public hearings,” said Bagley. “The public will have ample opportunities to weigh in with questions about transportation, about housing, about environmental impacts: all the normal SUP and DSUP processes.”

If you've never been to Del Rey, a neighborhood in ALX that is pretty close to Potomac Yards, think of a very quaint community full of small single family bungalos that go for $1.5 million, entirely populated by lawyers with the political disposition of Cal Berkeley students. 

• Haha 2

Received this email from Monumental Sports. Here it is, in full.  Note the wishy-washy language in paragraph 2 ("eary stages" ... "framework of an agreement" ... "pending approval" ...) which clearly tells us it is far from a done deal.

Dear Fans and Supporters,

I am thrilled to share with you a development which marks a potentially transformational new chapter for Monumental Sports & Entertainment, our teams, and the entire DMV – and reaffirms our commitment to our fans to offer a best-in-class experience.

While we are still in the early stages, we have reached an understanding for a framework of an agreement with the Commonwealth of Virginia, the City of Alexandria, and JBG Smith for a public-private partnership that would create a world-class Entertainment District at Potomac Yard in Alexandria, VA. Pending General Assembly and City Council approval, this project will become a catalyst for innovation and economic growth, uniting D.C., Maryland, and Virginia into a year-round destination for unforgettable experiences for our fans.

Our vision for the Entertainment District is to create a dynamic campus where our Washington Capitals and Wizards play in a state-of-the-art arena, complemented by a performing arts venue, new retail outlets, restaurants, and community spaces—easily accessible by metro and a variety of other transportation options.  Your excellent experience will be the priority for the design.  Upon completion, we believe this unparalleled development will rank as one of the very best in all of sports & entertainment, matching our world-class fanbases.

This project is expected to break ground in 2025 and open its doors in 2028. This Entertainment District is envisioned to be a lively, 365-day regional destination. The Entertainment District will also include a state-of-the-art production facility for Monumental Sports Network, a Wizards practice facility, and a modern corporate headquarters for Monumental Sports & Entertainment. We're excited for you to see this project come to life and invite you to visit www.monumentalalx.com to see a glimpse of what we envision for this Entertainment District.

While this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to expand, we hope Capital One Arena and downtown D.C. remain an essential part of our future. Our plan is to have the Capitals and Wizards continue to play at Capital One Arena through the 2027 season and we hope that we will have the opportunity to continue to operate Capital One Arena even after the new campus opens in Virginia.

We have plans to support ongoing development of Capital One Arena, and Monumental would continue to invest in the building and maintain its standing as one of the busiest arenas in the nation – continuing to host world-class live entertainment, covering a wide spectrum of music, comedy, cultural, community, and sporting events. Post-2027, a key component in our strategy for Capital One Arena will be enhancing the arena’s flexibility to adapt the seating capacity to suit various event types, audience sizes and event dynamics.

In recognition of the significant growth in the WNBA's viewership and fan engagement, we’re also anticipating the Washington Mystics will need a larger venue in the next 3-5 years and would like to explore the option for the Mystics to transition into making Capital One Arena their home. Such a move would be a testament to their success and the burgeoning appeal of women's sports.

Additionally, we expect Capital One Arena to expand its scope and serve as a versatile partner to the Convention Center in the future, when we can leverage our ability to secure event dates well in advance and when we have the flexibility to hold more daytime events. This strategic shift will enable us to maintain the arena’s vital role in the community.

We believe the unique opportunity we have for an Entertainment District at Potomac Yard and a vibrant, flexible sports and entertainment venue at Capital One Arena will not only offer DMV fans unparalleled access to world-class sports and entertainment but also serve as a testament to our commitment to providing exceptional fan experiences, uniting communities, and fostering economic growth for the entire region.

We understand you may have questions, and we are committed to keeping you informed along the way.

Your passion and support have been the driving force behind our endeavors, and we can't wait to embark on this journey with you. Stay tuned for more updates and get ready to be part of this exciting new chapter in our shared story.

Thank you for being the heart and soul of our vision and ambition.

Ted

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

If you've never been to Del Rey, a neighborhood in ALX that is pretty close to Potomac Yards, think of a very quaint community full of small single family bungalos that go for $1.5 million, entirely populated by lawyers with the political disposition of Cal Berkeley students. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I did the Thanksgiving morning Turkey Trot through Del Ray this year.  On every street corner was a person with a sign protesting the proposed changes to Alexandria's zoning laws that would allow for multi-unit building on lots to provide more affordable housing.  Lots and lots of citizen opposition, but the change passed anyway.

Just now, Dan T. said:

I did the Thanksgiving morning Turkey Trot through Del Ray this year.  On every street corner was a person with a sign protesting the proposed changes to Alexandria's zoning laws that would allow for multi-unit building on lots to provide more affordable housing.  Lots and lots of citizen opposition, but the change passed anyway.

Yea, that's Dey Ray.  They are ALL FOR affordable housing for underserved communities and are WOKE AF, but they don't want black people moving in next door to them.  That is what the West End of Alexandria (where I live) is for.  

21 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Received this email from Monumental Sports. Here it is, in full.  Note the wishy-washy language in paragraph 2 ("eary stages" ... "framework of an agreement" ... "pending approval" ...) which clearly tells us it is far from a done deal.

Dear Fans and Supporters,

I am thrilled to share with you a development which marks a potentially transformational new chapter for Monumental Sports & Entertainment, our teams, and the entire DMV – and reaffirms our commitment to our fans to offer a best-in-class experience.

While we are still in the early stages, we have reached an understanding for a framework of an agreement with the Commonwealth of Virginia, the City of Alexandria, and JBG Smith for a public-private partnership that would create a world-class Entertainment District at Potomac Yard in Alexandria, VA. Pending General Assembly and City Council approval, this project will become a catalyst for innovation and economic growth, uniting D.C., Maryland, and Virginia into a year-round destination for unforgettable experiences for our fans.

Our vision for the Entertainment District is to create a dynamic campus where our Washington Capitals and Wizards play in a state-of-the-art arena, complemented by a performing arts venue, new retail outlets, restaurants, and community spaces—easily accessible by metro and a variety of other transportation options.  Your excellent experience will be the priority for the design.  Upon completion, we believe this unparalleled development will rank as one of the very best in all of sports & entertainment, matching our world-class fanbases.

This project is expected to break ground in 2025 and open its doors in 2028. This Entertainment District is envisioned to be a lively, 365-day regional destination. The Entertainment District will also include a state-of-the-art production facility for Monumental Sports Network, a Wizards practice facility, and a modern corporate headquarters for Monumental Sports & Entertainment. We're excited for you to see this project come to life and invite you to visit www.monumentalalx.com to see a glimpse of what we envision for this Entertainment District.

While this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to expand, we hope Capital One Arena and downtown D.C. remain an essential part of our future. Our plan is to have the Capitals and Wizards continue to play at Capital One Arena through the 2027 season and we hope that we will have the opportunity to continue to operate Capital One Arena even after the new campus opens in Virginia.

We have plans to support ongoing development of Capital One Arena, and Monumental would continue to invest in the building and maintain its standing as one of the busiest arenas in the nation – continuing to host world-class live entertainment, covering a wide spectrum of music, comedy, cultural, community, and sporting events. Post-2027, a key component in our strategy for Capital One Arena will be enhancing the arena’s flexibility to adapt the seating capacity to suit various event types, audience sizes and event dynamics.

In recognition of the significant growth in the WNBA's viewership and fan engagement, we’re also anticipating the Washington Mystics will need a larger venue in the next 3-5 years and would like to explore the option for the Mystics to transition into making Capital One Arena their home. Such a move would be a testament to their success and the burgeoning appeal of women's sports.

Additionally, we expect Capital One Arena to expand its scope and serve as a versatile partner to the Convention Center in the future, when we can leverage our ability to secure event dates well in advance and when we have the flexibility to hold more daytime events. This strategic shift will enable us to maintain the arena’s vital role in the community.

We believe the unique opportunity we have for an Entertainment District at Potomac Yard and a vibrant, flexible sports and entertainment venue at Capital One Arena will not only offer DMV fans unparalleled access to world-class sports and entertainment but also serve as a testament to our commitment to providing exceptional fan experiences, uniting communities, and fostering economic growth for the entire region.

We understand you may have questions, and we are committed to keeping you informed along the way.

Your passion and support have been the driving force behind our endeavors, and we can't wait to embark on this journey with you. Stay tuned for more updates and get ready to be part of this exciting new chapter in our shared story.

Thank you for being the heart and soul of our vision and ambition.

Ted

Here's to you, Ted!🖕 🖕

Edited by spjunkies
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yea, that's Dey Ray.  They are ALL FOR affordable housing for underserved communities and are WOKE AF, but they don't want black people moving in next door to them.  That is what the West End of Alexandria (where I live) is for.  

LOL, you're 100% right.  I used to hang around West Alexandria a LOT as a kid (had family living there).  Are you near Bailey's Crossroads?  That's an area that has escaped all of the re-development of Arlington/Alexandria until now.  It's exactly like how it was about 20-25 years ago when I used to hang out at the old Skyline Mall (before it became a gigantic Target).  Most of the immigrants in the DMV live in that part of Alexandria/Arlington.  Lots of Arabs, Africans, Hispanics and some African-Americans as well.

Edited by samy316

5 minutes ago, samy316 said:

LOL, you're 100% right.  I used to hang around West Alexandria a LOT as a kid (had family living there).  Are you near Bailey's Crossroads?  That's an area that has escaped all of the re-development of Arlington/Alexandria until now.  It's exactly like how it was about 20-25 years ago when I used to hang out at the old Skyline Mall (before it became a gigantic Target).  Most of the immigrants in the DMV live in that part of Alexandria/Arlington.  Lots of Arabs, Africans, Hispanics and some African-Americans as well.

I'm near what used to be Landmark Mall, which is currently being massively redeveloped into a mixed-use property and should be awesome.  My area has a ton of high-rise and very old apartment buildings, which are cheap and are generally full of immigrants and black people.  There is a huge Ethiopian community.  Just across 395 (which is Annandale) is majority Korean.  My specific neighborhood is 50% military officers or civilian military contractors (given the proximity to the Pentagon) and 50% lawyers/consultants/accountants/high level federal government people.

Does anyone else think Potomac Yard is a bad location? I've driven through there a couple times but it's been a while. Looking at a map/google earth, even with proposed development, it will still be limited due to existing homes, neighborhoods and roads. It's essentially isolated with nothing around it. I'm just not seeing any long term advantages.

Edit - honest question, am I wrong on this?

Edited by Metalhead