Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

26 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It was pretty questionable.  

It's feeling like the NFL lately. Every big play you hold your breath, waiting to see if there's a flag. Matthews or McDavid they probably get the "even if he was offside, he was controlling the puck", but Ovi gets none of that consideration.

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

You must be celebrating. Backstrom stepping away for a while. Imagine a “fan” being super happy that an all-time great is stepping away for now. 

Thanks for the "fan" jab.  After conversing with you for many years on this board and enjoying all of your takes on the Caps and Orioles threads, I thought you were above that.

I'm not happy at all that Backstrom's career is practically over.  I've been cheering for Backstrom since we drafted him.  He was a huge part of the Young Guns/Rock the Red era which put the Caps on the map, and converted people who barely knew we had a hockey team into hardcore fans and season ticketholders.  This "fan" has been a loyal planholder for over 40 years, and I'll be the first to admit that no group of players will ever match what Ovi/Backstrom/Green/Semin/Laich etc. did for this club by increasing our fanbase ten-fold beginning with their first playoff appearance in 2008 and over the course of the next several years.

But his career is over, and he really doesn't add anything to this club at this point except support for the guys in the locker room and nostalgia for the fans in the stands.  The fact that he agreed on his own terms to step away proves that he more or less agrees with that.  My angst about him not contributing despite taking up so much cap space was probably worded too harshly, but it's been a frustrating past year as a Caps fan (sorry, "fan") so cut me some f'ing slack.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, capcrunch98 said:

My angst about him not contributing despite taking up so much cap space was probably worded too harshly, but it's been a frustrating past year as a Caps fan (sorry, "fan") so cut me some f'ing slack.

It was worded too harshly and with you acknowledging it probably was, I apologize for my "fan" comment. 

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

In the short term I don’t think this changes much.  We call up an AHLer to fill his spot.

If his salary is cleared, we could make an FA splash in the off-season.  Not sure who is available

I don't think this team is at a point where they should be making splashes in free agency.  Ideally, they hold on to cap space and use it to take advantage of cap-strapped teams (via taking on bad contracts along with sweeteners like draft picks or prospects, or acquiring solid players without giving up anything).

However, we all know that management won't initiate a rebuild as long as Ovi is here.  So considering that, William Nylander, Jonathan Marchessault, or Sebastian Aho would help Ovi get to the record.  Signing Auston Matthews would've been better than a weekend on a desert island with Bella Hadid, Margot Robbie, and Cindy Crawford (1995 edition), but the Leafs got him on an extension a few months ago so he's not going anywhere next summer. 

Sad day for the fanbase and Backstrom and the club.  Would have been appropriate if/when Ovechkin breaks the record he would be either on the ice or him being the one who has the assist. Hope for a speedy recovery, and hope its not the end of his career!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Really wish he and Ovechkin could have ridden off into the sunset together.

They were pretty close, considering Ovi probably only has a couple years left.

16 years together is remarkable. Having grown up a Caps fan in the 80s and 90s, and watching every good player who made more than $15/hour get shipped out of town by a cheap owner who only cared about his basketball team, it's amazing that we had 2 superstars play that long together, each spending their entire career here.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3