Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

17 hours ago, Hersh said:

Islanders in round one. This is must win series for the HC and the GM. 

GMBM is safe. Reirden is expendable and if he gets firmly out-coached by Trotz, it's symbolic. He knows this is for his job. And if he were to lose and not get fired, it would show we're not serious about winning one more with this core.

Only team in the East that worries me is Philadelphia - they are on a roll and have found themselves since March when things were suspended.

This team can beat any of the other teams in a series. Getting Carlson and Eller back will be big but ultimately this team will go as the centers take it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sticksboi05 said:

GMBM is safe. Reirden is expendable and if he gets firmly out-coached by Trotz, it's symbolic. He knows this is for his job. And if he were to lose and not get fired, it would show we're not serious about winning one more with this core.

I agree GMBM is safe for now, but changing coaches after winning a stanley cup was his call. It was a huge risk losing to the former coach would begin the process of putting him on the hot seat. 

1 hour ago, Mournblade said:

Wednesday start means Eller and Carlson are both likely back. Which means doom for NYI. 

The Caps certainly have more talent than the Islanders but this is still the Caps despite finally getting a Cup. 

5 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

I think it was Leonsis' call because he didn't want to pony up the dough for Trotz.

Reirden was the rumored replacement for Trotz for a year or two. Regardless, the Caps need to make a run. I'm not inspired by their play yet so hopefully they turn it up now that it matters. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Only team in the East that worries me is Philadelphia - they are on a roll and have found themselves since March when things were suspended.

This team can beat any of the other teams in a series. Getting Carlson and Eller back will be big but ultimately this team will go as the centers take it.

The only team in the LEAGUE that really worries me is Philadelphia.  I thought Philadelphia was the team of the future, but apparent the future is now. They are flat out have more young talent than any team in the league, and unlike Toronto, they apparently know how to develop talent.  This might be the last year we are good enough to beat them, yikes.  

1 hour ago, Mournblade said:

Dude...come on...

One time they got past the 2nd round in all these amazing regular seasons and the Stanley Cup winning team was about an inch from going down 3-0 in the first round. 
Get it done more than once. 

Edited by Hersh

Can someone explain to me why they select from a group of playoff qualifier teams to see who the #1 pick is? Instead of picking from a group of teams that didnt make it to the qualifiers? For example, why did the 5 seeds in both conferences have a chance at the #1 pick, but the worst teams in the league didn't... makes zero sense to me

16 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

Can someone explain to me why they select from a group of playoff qualifier teams to see who the #1 pick is? Instead of picking from a group of teams that didnt make it to the qualifiers? For example, why did the 5 seeds in both conferences have a chance at the #1 pick, but the worst teams in the league didn't... makes zero sense to me

Cause for some reason the NHL decided to do two different draft lotteries. In the first one, they only knew of 7 teams that had not made the play in tournament, a place holder spot won the lottery. I do not know why the NHL lottery didn't just include the teams not in the playoff qualifier.  Rangers won it today. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

I do not know why the NHL lottery didn't just include the teams not in the playoff qualifier.

thats what my question is... seems like the other lottery shouldve started at 1, and been for all of the teams not making the qualifiers. then the teams that got eliminated from the qualifier should enter the next lottery for the slots after (8, 9, 10..) or whatever it was.

my point is, it makes ZERO sense that qualifier teams had a 12.5% chance of getting the #1 pick, but teams worse than them had a 0% chance

1 hour ago, mammajamma said:

They had the lottery twice sort of, and when they picked for first overall one of the placeholder teams won. So every team that lost the qualifying round had an equal chance to win. It’s really bizarre, and I would be really pissed if I was a Wings/Senators/Kings fan. 

1 minute ago, max21 said:

They had the lottery twice sort of, and when they picked for first overall one of the placeholder teams won. So every team that lost the qualifying round had an equal chance to win. It’s really bizarre, and I would be really pissed if I was a Wings/Senators/Kings fan. 

Gotcha. Seems like they include too many teams then. Maybe just have a lottery for the top 4-5 worst teams?

Just now, mammajamma said:

Gotcha. Seems like they include too many teams then. Maybe just have a lottery for the top 4-5 worst teams?

That’s been a discussion, I get the draft lottery to keep teams from tanking on purpose but I also think it’s not fair. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, max21 said:

That’s been a discussion, I get the draft lottery to keep teams from tanking on purpose but I also think it’s not fair. 

There were 15 teams (about half the league) worse than NYR this season.. the NHL really thinks half the league is going to try to tank? It's way too many teams

Edited by mammajamma
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, max21 said:

It's absurd that any of the teams in the playoff qualifier were eligible but the NHL couldn't be happier to have the Rangers get that pick. Funny how those things work out for NY teams. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hersh said:

It's absurd that any of the teams in the playoff qualifier were eligible but the NHL couldn't be happier to have the Rangers get that pick. Funny how those things work out for NY teams. 

I agree. Draft lottery is really weird to me, it should be just like the NFL draft imo. I’d be super pissed as a Detroit or Ottawa fan, and now the Rangers are on the come up in our division. I think once they are ready for prime time hockey and that club to really get we might be past our window though.  

• Like 1