Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

said it before i'll say it again the rangers stole the caps soul and spirit

seeing the game in person caps scored a few minutes in, place was rocking, taunting Igor. A few seconds later the Rangers tie it. They take the lead 2-1 and didn't look back. Caps never really threatened the rest of the way.

Officiating was ass as usual, multiple players were tripped and there were no calls. In fact, a Capital was tripped, everyone in the arena saw it, nobody did ****, then a Ranger got tripped and they called a penalty on the caps! how does that work? The Rangers would score on that PP to put the game away.

That said it was not the only factor. Even worse was being unable to convert on a single power play, when they were gifted multiple opportunities. The offense is dead in the water.

For a team that grinded their way through adversity to make the playoffs, they now find themselves in the ultimate postseason adversity, staring down a 0-3 hole. Yes, it was good for them to be here. Yes, it was good for them to get experience and play extra games. Anyone would take this over missing the playoffs anyday. I'm not saying anything different.

I just thought it'd be more competitive than this.

• Sad 1

So, when's football season start?? lol Not sure why Wilson didn't run Panarin. Rempe wouldn't of said no then. Not sure it'd of worked out for Willy, but I'd still like to see it. You can't just let guys get carted off to the room all the time w/o someone paying the bill.

At least the young players are getting a sniff of playoff hockey. Hopefully that transitions next year. Still hoping we can drag them to 5 or 6 games but it's looking awful bleak now. 

I just can't get too mad about us being down in this series. I've lived through all the blown 3-1 and 2-0 choke jobs, times when I really thought it was their year and they fall flat in the most heartbreaking ways. This time, we're a very average club with minimal talent who is just simply losing to a better team. I'm not happy about it, but I can live with it.

All I ask is they go down swinging. Had the Caps delivered head shots like the hits Panarin and Rempe delivered, everyone from the Rangers fat grumpy coach, to their fairweather fanbase, to the annoying NY media would've been crying their eyes out, and the league would've stepped in. The Caps can and should make them answer for that. I'm not calling for a Dale Hunter -type blindside, but if Game 4 is over by the 3rd period, I am perfectly fine with some shots getting taken. This series has been way too easy for NY so far.

Was at the game last night and man that environment was so much fun and after we took the lead, that place is the loudest I've ever experienced in there.  And then in seconds that was all gone and deflated.  And then the shorthanded goal just made it worse.

On another note, my brother and I stopped into District X prior to get some drinks.  When my brother went to pay the lady gave him his card back and said "Ted Leonsis is paying for the first round for everyone right now." So that was really cool.

Then when we get inside we get to the elevator and I'm on my phone talking to my buddy and my brother is like "look that's Ted Leonsis right there" and right in front of us he was taking a picture with a little kid.  After that we all got in the elevator and we started chatting with him about how we just got a free drink.  He legit had like zero clue about that and said to his PR guy "so how many drinks am I buying for people?" but in like a joking friendly manner.  Then he asked what we got and my brother told him vodka/soda and captain/coke and he was like "well at least you didn't get the 80 year old whiskey!" lol.

He got off on the 3rd floor where we got off and I asked him if we could take a quick pick and he said of course.  He could not have been nicer though, he was super friendly all around and very welcoming.

C0AKxka.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Gonna go out there and say the "We're Caps fans of course we rock the red" is by far their worst towel ever given out

I don't even know what were on the towels they gave us Friday.  I didn't take any home because I have enough of that crap that just sits in a drawer.

• Like 1

Can someone who knows more about hockey than I do please explain to me WHAT THE **** THEY ARE TRYING TO DO ON POWER PLAYS?

Like for real.  From a hockey perspective, what are they trying to accomplish on their power plays?  Nothing they do works and they can't even get the puck in the zone and they have a man advantage.  I wish they could turn down power plays because they are worse on power plays than when it is 5 on 5.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Can someone who knows more about hockey than I do please explain to me WHAT THE **** THEY ARE TRYING TO DO ON POWER PLAYS?

I would also like an explanation. 

I’ve been wondering it the whole time and the only thing I can come up with is the rangers just have a suffocating d, in addition to appear to me to skate faster and play bigger start to finish 🤷‍♂️ 

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

I would also like an explanation. 

I’ve been wondering it the whole time and the only thing I can come up with is the rangers just have a suffocating d, in addition to appear to me to skate faster and play bigger start to finish 🤷‍♂️ 

No this was going on at the end of the season as well.  They are doing the same **** in this series that they did in the last games I watched as well.  

• Like 1

So let me get this straight.

They didn't pull the goalie with 3 minutes left to have a 1 man advantage, but they pull the goalie with a minute left to make it even strength, when they coudl have pulled him in 20 seconds and have a 1 man advantage.

Maybe they know what we know - the team is better even strength than with a man advantage.

I'm so glad I went Friday instead of tonight.  And this was the exact reason why I picked Friday.  

This looking like the end of the Ovie era with them selling off a lot of pieces and still making a valiant effort to make the playoffs.  This team is probably on the verge of a serious rebuild now

Edited by NoVaSkins21

48 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

This looking like the end of the Ovie era with them selling off a lot of pieces and still making a valiant effort to make the playoffs.  This team is probably on the verge of a serious rebuild now

Out of respect for making sure Ovi has chance to break goals record as a Capital and retire that same offseason, I would not be shocked they hold off exactly what they pragmaticly need to be doing right now.

I'm not interested in what's right or wrong now, they wasted this man's career. I'm fine with letting him go out on his own terms and moving on when he is.  This team won't be competing for a title anytime soon regardless.

22 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Out of respect for making sure Ovi has chance to break goals record as a Capital and retire that same offseason, I would not be shocked they hold off exactly what they pragmaticly need to be doing right now.

I'm not interested in what's right or wrong now, they wasted this man's career. I'm fine with letting him go out on his own terms and moving on when he is.  This team won't be competing for a title anytime soon regardless.

Pragmatically they don't have many pieces left to sell.  Maybe Carlson?  

At least the young guys got  some playoff experience.  

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Thumb up 2

If someone told us back on Opening Night that Backstrom's career would be over by November, Kuzy would be crap, Ovi would have 8 goals at the All-Star break, and we'd be sellers at the trade deadline, all of us would've predicted a bottom 5 finish.  Pretty amazing they make the postseason.  But now that they're out, it's time to face the fact they're a fading team, with limited skill, and that's exactly what they looked like in 4 games against a better team.

I'm expecting them to be pretty lousy the next 2 - 3 years (whether they plan to or not) and stockpile young talent. It'll be a while until we're back in the playoffs, but when we return we'll be a lot better built than we are now.

• Like 2

Was watching the Stars-Knights game last night, and I saw Mantha was a healthy scratch for Vegas.  Good on the Caps for getting something for him at the trade deadline; he wouldn't have made a difference in our series vs. NY and he'd be gone this summer with no return.