Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Eagles

KDawg

22 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Was anyone able to go back and see Richardson's non-TD catch (stepping out of bounds) - I'm curious about who touched the ball first. If the Eagle defender did then it should have been a TD (and the Redskins should have challenged).  I'm looking for it but can't find it.

P Rich is on Twitter saying the defender touched it first.

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

We had 3 active RBs...why not play Smallwood? Again, I'm not defending the AP decision so much as saying that we've played ****ty players before when our starters have gotten hurt. Gruden has done nothing to demonstrate that he'll ignore an injury to avoid playing a backup. Ever. 

That's not what I'm saying.

If Guice was banged up, but no one thought any major damage was done and he could play, why wouldn't he play him?

My suggestion isn't that he purposely put Guice out there knowing he was badly injured and risked him. My suggestion is that he knew Guice had something going on, but thought he was okay to go out there and didn't want to risk Thompson. If Thompson goes down that's a huge hit to the offense. 

So, in knowing that Guice was banged up a little, he took it easy on the run calls. Limited his contact. Tried to preserve him.

Neither Thompson or Smallwood are bell cows. They can't carry the load. If he thought Guice was okay enough to play and carry once in awhile, why take him out without a viable back up?

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

That's not what I'm saying.

If Guice was banged up, but no one thought any major damage was done and he could play, why wouldn't he play him?

My suggestion isn't that he purposely put Guice out there knowing he was badly injured and risked him. My suggestion is that he knew Guice had something going on, but thought he was okay to go out there and didn't want to risk Thompson. If Thompson goes down that's a huge hit to the offense. 

So, in knowing that Guice was banged up a little, he took it easy on the run calls. Limited his contact. Tried to preserve him.

Neither Thompson or Smallwood are bell cows. They can't carry the load. If he thought Guice was okay enough to play and carry once in awhile, why take him out without a viable back up?

Oh, I see. Sorry for misunderstanding...

I guess I don't see how we'd have changed much. I broke down the 3 drives we had between 20-14 and 20-29...on the first one we tried to run Guice until we got to 3rd and 20. On the second one the passes were there, just not executed. Then on the third one a solid Guice run was called back for a chop block and we were suddenly in 1st and 25. I don't think Gruden called the game much differently than he intended to...

Having said that, I don't have any idea when Guice was hurt. 

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Having said that, I don't have any idea when Guice was hurt. 

I think it happened early. He had a run where the defender fell on his leg. He turned and looked at the defender while he was down and gave him a small nudge to get him off. When I saw it live I thought he would stay on the ground. But he got up and I thought nothing of it.

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

P Rich is on Twitter saying the defender touched it first.

That's a bad angle to see who touched the ball first. It should have been one of two calls: 

If Richardson touches first it's a penalty for illegal touching. 

If Darby touches first it's a TD. 

it was called an uncompleted pass, which means something was missed. If the ref felt Richardson's second foot was out of bounds then it would have been something Jay could have challenged. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I think it happened early. He had a run where the defender fell on his leg. He turned and looked at the defender while he was down and gave him a small nudge to get him off. When I saw it live I thought he would stay on the ground. But he got up and I thought nothing of it.

Interesting...it's a shame, but I am not really counting on Guice for much until we see him play a few games. 

3 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Well not sure if that angle is conclusive but if he did touch it first we got a TD taken away from us. 

The defender's hand looks to be inside of Pauls's hand when the ball hits so it seems like the defender touched it first but that's a tough call for the officials to make, should have used replay if possible.

Our 1st down runs are predictable.  We all know that.  What's also predictable now, is apparently we usually run to the right.

13 runs in the game

1st Down: 6 to the right, 1 to the middle, 1 to the left

2nd Down: 3 to the right, 1 to the left

3rd Down: 1 to the middle

12 runs when not in short yardage and 75% of them were to the right?  Seriously?

7 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Our 1st down runs are predictable.  We all know that.  What's also predictable now, is apparently we usually run to the right.

13 runs in the game

1st Down: 6 to the right, 1 to the middle, 1 to the left

2nd Down: 3 to the right, 1 to the left

3rd Down: 1 to the middle

12 runs when not in short yardage and 75% of them were to the right?  Seriously?

Who would you rather run behind: 

Moses and Scherff

or

Penn and Flowers

I'm okay with them choosing to run behind Moses and Scherff. Let's not take up too much time second guessing decent decisions. 

5 minutes ago, justice98 said:

That shoulda been reviewable then, no?

Yep. Since it wasn't called a TD on the field it would have been up to Jay. 

That play had a lot going on (Richardson ran out of bounds, who touched it first? and were both feet down), so IMHO it's not a glaring miss. 

So, we lose Guice and Allen for next week and beyond.  I'm just assuming Reed is out again, and the "Trent might be back soon" stuff was nonsense.  This team is in midseason form. 

And its Dallas week, and I'm fully expecting an embarrassing FedEx takeover.  

We had one half of one game before things went to crap.

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

Well not sure if that angle is conclusive but if he did touch it first we got a TD taken away from us. 

Richardson ran out of bounds before either of those guys made an attempt to catch the ball; nothing would've counted even if Richardson had come down cleanly with the ball with both feet and his favorite armchair inbounds.

How much is Norman making? He's absolutely dreadful.

The O Line did it's job. Keenum did well and the rookies I thought on offense were great.

I'm not seeing Guice just now - fine on the blocking but theres just something I'm not sure about with him. The decision to bench AP seems churlish and stubborn - which I'm sure is the motto in Latin on the Gruden coat of arms.

Manusky is appalling. Utterly appalling.

The bottom line is there is some talent on this team but nowhere near enough and it is not well coached at all. 

36 minutes ago, thebeermonkey said:

How much is Norman making? He's absolutely dreadful.

The O Line did it's job. Keenum did well and the rookies I thought on offense were great.

I'm not seeing Guice just now - fine on the blocking but theres just something I'm not sure about with him. The decision to bench AP seems churlish and stubborn - which I'm sure is the motto in Latin on the Gruden coat of arms.

Manusky is appalling. Utterly appalling.

The bottom line is there is some talent on this team but nowhere near enough and it is not well coached at all. 

RE: Norman - I'm confused by this. When in man he was against Jeffery who had limited success against him. you can argue he was burnt by Jackson late, but in zone coverage it's always tough to figure out who's responsible for what. IMHO he played really well. Blew up a screen a couple runs and also played great against Jeffery when lined up against him. 

RE: Guice - Statistically not good, but I thought he played good/okay. Made a lot of defenders missed and fought for yardage. Benching AP really makes no difference in my opinion. You can't build around a 34 year old RB, so let's give the future guy a chance to perform. Granted he could have been on the game day roster as a backup, but AP offers no special teams value and depending on the rest of the roster there might not have been a spot for a backup runningback. 

RE: Manusky - I'm far from a fan of his, but yesterday he was good/okay. Defense was great in the first half. They let things slide in the back half, but look at the time of possession. If the offense is constantly getting 3 and outs what can you realistically expect from the defense?

RE: some talent on this team - The Eagles are widely regarded as one of the most talented teams in the league and people were expecting us to get blown out. I genuinely hate how things turned out, but it was a close game. I think Jay & Co. could have done a lot more with the adjustments, but they still coached themselves to a 20-7 halftime lead. If you are blasting them for losing the lead you should also give them credit for getting it. 

27 minutes ago, Unbias said:

I think Jay & Co. could have done a lot more with the adjustments, but they still coached themselves to a 20-7 halftime lead.

What kind of adjustments do you expect from a coach when you're up by 13 at half-time???

That's a serious question. (quoting you but not necessarily directed at you)

39 minutes ago, Unbias said:

.I think Jay & Co. could have done a lot more with the adjustments, but they still coached themselves to a 20-7 halftime lead. If you are blasting them for losing the lead you should also give them credit for getting it. 

Well said....I think the issue with the coaching would be that Jay seems to get conservative at times with the lead. I am not sure if he dictates to Manusky on what he wants to see out of the defense in the second half....it seems we went from aggressive to vanilla, and that concerns me.

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

What kind of adjustments do you expect from a coach when you're up by 13 at half-time???

That's a serious question. (quoting you but not necessarily directed at you)

Fully understand it's not directed at me, but I'll try to answer. Jay just didn't have an offensive counter punch. We went into the 2nd half expecting to do the same thing and when that didn't pan out we couldn't really move the ball until they were in a quazi-prevent. 

we didn't make half time adjustments because we were doing fine. When they adjusted we were left without answers. 

50 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Well said....I think the issue with the coaching would be that Jay seems to get conservative at times with the lead. I am not sure if he dictates to Manusky on what he wants to see out of the defense in the second half....it seems we went from aggressive to vanilla, and that concerns me.

That's tough to say. Did we go aggressive or did the Eagles adjust? The truth is probably in the middle. Either way, once faced with adversity we didn't nut up and get the job done. 

Archived