Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Eagles

KDawg

2019 Edition...

The Good:

Case Keenum - The second half wasn't great, but the guy looked pretty solid all in all. He reminds me of a slightly riskier Alex Smith. I like him.

The offensive line - While it's not the next coming of the Hogs, they really held up better than they had any business to.

The receivers (counting tight ends)- At least in the first half. They looked really good. But once the wheels fell off they went into dear in headlights mode a little bit.

McLaurin - Separate shoutout because he was fantastic.

Inside Linebackers - MUCH better. They ranged, they tackled very well and even in coverage they got beat but were in the right spots. Wentz had some phenomenal throws.

The Meh:

Landon Collins - Had two big tackles but otherwise he was a non factor. 

The defensive line - when they were good they were real good. They snuffed out a few plays before they even started and punished the Eagle backs. It was really an awesome sight. The reason these guys are meh is because of the pass rush. 90, 52 & 91 were no where to be seen.

The Bad:

Jay Gruden - Awful game. Getting conservative and running twice in a row on a key drive was a drive killer. Making Peterson inactive is indefensible. Lack of meaningful adjustments coming out of halftime is an abomination. 

Greg Manusky - I realize the Eagles have three serious receiving threats... But you didn't really blitz, so to be honest, there is absolutely zero reason Desean Jackson shouldn't always have a safety over the top of him... or at least shaded over the top of him.

The Secondary - Norman got beat once, but I don't think he's the problem in the secondary. A lack of a free safety is glaring. Nicholson had a few good plays, but he was playing more like a strong safety than a free safety in the sense that he was playing up rather than center field and seeing things around him. He has to be better.

Injury to Allen - This had a bigger impact on the team than many think.

Overall impressions: I think the Redskins are a better team than they have been. However, with the way this team was coached and some of the decisions that were made, I'm not sure that matters for their ability to contend. Unless things drastically change we are looking at yet another 5-8 win season mired in more mediocrity. 

NEW ADDITION THIS YEAR!!!

Star of the Game - Terry McLaurin ***

Second Star - The Inside Linebackers **

Third Star - Vernon Davis/Case Keenum *

Dud of the Game - Jay Gruden :( :( :(

Second Dud - Greg Manusky :(:(

Third Dud - Bruce Allen :( (just because)

Season Totals:

Terry McLaurin - 3 stars

The Inside Backers - 2 stars

Vernon Davis - 1 star

Case Keenum - 1 star

Bruce Allen - :(

Greg Manusky - :(:(

Jay Gruden - :(:( :(

I agree with every word here, @KDawg. The team got out of the gate fast, which is good when you're on the road, and especially against a division foe. But maintaining is a problem because, as you noted, Gruden just doesn't seem to know how to adjust. The Eagles coaches adjusted, but ours (Gruden and Manusky) never did. I'll quote Keim, the most authoritative scribe covering this team -- "Up by 17 points and unable to run the ball? That's unacceptable". But then again, it's not surprising.

Making AP inactive was a head-scratcher, and using the ST excuse was blatantly stupid and disingenuous. Even the players were saying without saying that they didn't buy that reasoning. Either Gruden has decided he wants out and is trying to get fired, or he is simply stupid. I'm already convinced of the latter, but maybe now a combination of the two has come into play. I think the guy can design plays, but his problem is not knowing how to use those plays when his script/gameplan has to be adjusted based on adjustments by the other coaches, or based perhaps on circumstances on our side of the ball (injuries, etc.). He seems lost.

McLaurin was damn impressive, and I wish Keenum could've connected on that 2nd TD to him; could've been a real game changer. But I don't fault Keenum; you're not gonna connect on everything, and I thought the guy played extremely well yesterday.

The Eagles rushed it 31 times yesterday. Most of those runs were while they were trailing. They didn't give up on the ground game. We rushed it 13 times, 10 times to the guy who the offense is gonna go through, according to Gruden. The OL looked damn good yesterday too, considering all the concerns we had going into the off-season and with the uncertainty at LT and LG.

But Gruden.........this just can't be remedied, I'm afraid. He stands up there with his Opie Taylor, "Well gosh, Paw" stuff in the post-game pressers, instilling no confidence whatsoever in his being able to genuinely lead a team. This roster is young, it's talented and it can be competitive. Yesterday's loss, in my opinion, is solely on the coaches.

I get the idea of focusing the future on Guice but he seems to have decided AP is now a bench warmer, forget any kind of two-back system

The quote from Gruden..... "if we have a game where we think we can run the ball 55 times in a game in an I-formation, then sure, I’ll get him up.”  In the modern NFL how often do you run that? That is coach-speak for never, to me anyway.

Good

- Keenum (edit: somehow forgot)

- Penn was better than we could have hoped.

- McLaurin, Harmon, Quinn and Richardson are a good group. 

- Special teams 

- Pass blocking

- More speed on defense

Bad

- Moses penalties

- Growing pains leading to touchdowns: Holcomb, Moreland. 

- Dunbar will successfully get picked on again this year. 

- Settle getting moved to allow for big running holes. 

Ugly

- Scherff getting tossed around by Cox in the run game. 

- Allen going down (for a few weeks).

- The run game/play-calling

Didn't like Sims not double checking the ball goes out the back of the end zone on the kickoffs. Sure that will be fixed. 

Good: I was surprised with Keenum. He seemed to have much better field vision than I thought. Played very well IMO, even under pressure made some great throws and was not a turnover machine.

Meh: Guise. Yes, it was his first NFL game { I think } and the o-line doesn't seem to be a good run blocking line, but still I thought he'd have a better game.

Bad: { drum roll please } { as if a drum roll is needed }  Coaching staff, hands down. Gruden had a fairly good 1st half, even though I could see signs of momentum shifting late in the 2nd qtr, but he absolutely is lost on 2nd half adjustments and in-game adjustments. He simply does not know what to do. Whatever he decides to do in the 2nd half, well, he calls it anyway, regardless if it plays into the strength of the opponent. He has been as predictable as a coach can be, and his formations and play calls become bland, and opponents know whats coming.

Awful: Manusky.  He was a 'meh' player under Gibbs, nothing special, and now as a DC he is even worse in adjustments and coverages. Every single person on this forum KNEW they would try to get DJax the ball; ok, one deep ball I could see, maybe he jukes a defender or a blown coverage, but no, he lit the secondary up in the 2nd half and they didn't know what to do, and Manusky certainly didn't do anything to prevent the 2nd one. Maybe he should try pro wrestling, he has the face for it.

Pretty much agree with what you stated above.  The D line MUST get more pressure to help this team out.  

Landon Collins I thought was pretty good against Ertz, he normally is a Redskins killer and for the most part was pretty silent.  (Especially in first half)

Case Keenum must hit the long passes.  Even after a terrible third quarter start, if he hits McLaurin for what would have been his second TD, maybe momentum swings.  

Thats all I got, besides RUN the ball!!   

Philly game-planned to STOP OUR RUN. They came out and said you are going to have to beat us through air and thats exactly what Keenum did in the first Half. Second half rolls around and Philly now backs off on the run and starts playing pass, Unfortunately Guice did not deliver in my opinion. We never needed AP more then we did yesterday in that second half. I truly believe had AP been in the game in that second half we could have pounded the rock between the tackles and went to a ball control offense for change of pace. To much dancing from Guice.

On defense our Pass rush was pathetic, Kerrigan and Sweat were ghosts. Secondary had issues, D Jax and Jeffery absolutely torched us  . Landon Collins needs to earn his money out there, Dude is making superstar money and needs to be more then just good, He needs to be a playmaker which he was not yesterday.

Last point, If Keenum hits that second bomb to McLaurin instead of overthrowing him, that last drive of the game might have been the game winner. Just think about that for a second.

I think everyone here has a sour taste after giving up the lead we did but if there is any positive to take away is its we hung with and almost beat what should be a very good playoff team. At least we know this offense is capable of scoring.

17 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Regarding OL Morgan Moses still has his casual false starts... That one is getting old. 

Moses has worked himself into the most overrated player conversion.

@KDawg agree with just about everything else.  

Benching Peterson then not having success and then being arrogant about it in the presser was extreme off-putting.  

Obviously, the two long TD's to Jackson were killers. But what made them so lethal to our chances of winning was the fact that both TD's came on 3rd & 10 from midfield. In both situations our D is one play from getting off the field and to give up long TD's in those situations was very disappointing. Your D wins the first two downs by getting the opponent in 3rd & 10 and the percentages are in your favor to get the ball back. For me personally, I wish that every time we get a team in 3rd & 10 they throw a 50 yd. deep ball. They are for the most part a low percentage play and the odds are heavily in the D's favor that those balls will fall incomplete and you're off the field.

The obvious other killer to our chances was Keenum missing a wide open McLaurin on the deep ball that was surely a TD. After Philly had just pulled to within 6 to  make it 20-14 us, to score right back there and go back up 27-14 would've been huge. We blew a very winnable game for sure, but there was a lot to like and I'm looking very forward to Dallas next week.

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Benching Peterson then not having success and then being arrogant about it in the presser was extreme off-putting.  

Guice has been the best advocate to get AP on the field Asap. Guy seriously lacked real vision all game long.

36 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

No Tress Way in your studs @KDawg? Guy really boomed out there.

Otherwise I agree as a whole. Loved Come Holcomb out there.

Regarding OL Morgan Moses still has his casual false starts... That one is getting old. 

I'm spoiled by Tress in the sense that I'm so used to him being a stud that I don't often promote him as a stud. Need to get better at that. Dude is awesome.

15 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Moses has worked himself into the most overrated player conversion.

Moses is another one of the guys that I've stopped listing for whatever reason. I don't think he's all that great. So like I often neglect to point out how good Tress Way is (stud), I also often forget to mention Moses because I'm so used to his penalties and false starts that I'm numb to it :ols:

10 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

The obvious other killer to our chances was Keenum missing a wide open McLaurin on the deep ball that was surely a TD.

Agree here. I just have a hard time being so negative on this when even the best QB/WR combos miss sometimes. I think it stands out more here because the offense was so stagnant in the second half because we were totally one dimensional. And Philly changed their gameplan to take away the pass versus the run in the second half and the Skins didn't make the changes. So when that opportunity was there and we didn't connect, it stung more.

I think that was a football play. No excuses, Keenum needs to hit that. But he was good enough all day to get the benefit of the doubt (from me at least!).

Just another sign of how anemic our offense was in the second half.

Morgan Moses is on with the Junkies right now and hearing him complain about the refs is not a good look for this team right now.

The only take away I have from the game yesterday is SOS and that I'm ready to move on from Gruden.  Dude has no concept of making adjustments and it's frustrating to see this year after year after year.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

2019 Edition...

NEW ADDITION THIS YEAR!!!

Dud of the Game - Jay Gruden :( :( :(

Season Totals:

Jay Gruden - :(:( :(

Be easier to just give him his well deserved award for the season now rather than updating it every week. (Presuming he last's another full season.). ;)

I shudder to think how long 'The Bad' will be after Dallas have finished walking all over this carnage next Sunday. 

Hail. 

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Poor Morgan, they've had it out for him for years.

Yeah I can't believe he actually said that he believes the refs have something against the Redskins.

I mean it's okay (or not) for him to actually believe that, but to put it out there in the public and let people know he feels that way?  Not a good look.

@KDawg, I think you pretty much nailed it coach. 

I went into yesterday's game fully expecting to lose, and potentially even get embarrassed in a rout. But by halftime, damn it, they had me convinced there was real hope of change again. But the mid game / halftime adjustments were non existent, and ripped our hearts right back out again. 

Feeling meh, like here we go again at another 5-9 win season depending on how the balls bounce. 

If Jonathan Allen is really the lynchpin of the defense, then this doesn't bold well.   Some good things that I liked yesterday from the young players.  keenum, wow.  I don't know if that was just a career game from him or he's back in 2017 form?   Plenty not to like, too but that's been spelled out by plenty. 

The pluses for me in the game was the aerial attack and some real productive fast receivers. Like how Keenum spread the ball around.  That could not be sustained in the second half.  Eagles really tightened up on some guys that seemed well covered.  Still if Keenum hits McClurin in the second half on the long ball the game is  a lot tighter and probably infuses life into a mediocre D - that played well IMO when Allen was in, especially in the first quarter, and then semi crashed toward the end of the 2nd quarter and were completely incompetent and seemingly out of gas by the 3rd quarter.   The secondary still gets burned by the long ball clearly and we still come out on our heels in the second half.   It is Groundhog Day and no coach seems to get this team motivated for second halves of games. 

Manusky big loser. No adjustments, continued to rush 3, no pressure on Wentz whatsoever the whole game.  If a modicum of pressure came Wentz simply moved to his left or right and found the open guy in the second half.  No one even in the vicinity of Jackson on the second bomb.  You would think Manlosersky would have really adjusted at the half to this guy.   We still our looking for a FS.

Big plus obviously is Tress Way.  

The special teams were pretty good and held their own.  

Archived