Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Game Day Thread - SUPERBOWL - Chiefs Win!

zCommander

Green bay can beat San Francisco--any given Sunday and all that--but I'm definitely not putting any money on them.  I love my team, but I don't think they are as good as their record indicates.  I didn't think Seattle was a good test to prove themselves seeing as Seattle was given a run for their money through the end of the game against the Eagles who fielded a team of second-stringers.

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Neither of these teams were beating the Niners next week anyway.

I would be stunned if the Packers somehow improved so much from their last meeting that they got the W. That game was embarrassing. 

The smart money would definitely be on San Fran. But you never know. Niners have looked unbeatable at times, and at others, well, beatable. No one saw the Vikings or Titans wins coming either. 

Rodgers showed some of his old classic self, but I'm still angry at the Packers. He won the Super Bowl 10 years ago and they've squandered him ever since. It's a shame that it took until late in his career to put the semblance of a team around him again.

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Rodgers showed some of his old classic self, but I'm still angry at the Packers. He won the Super Bowl 10 years ago and they've squandered him ever since. It's a shame that it took until late in his career to put the semblance of a team around him again.

I hear that the current Dallas HC shares some of the blame for that. So hopefully we have that to look forward to for a while.

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I find this to be BS with Rodgers, so he can only win with elite talent around him? Favre of the past and Wilson of today didn't always have elite WRs around them. That is what made them so good, Favre made WR's careers. I am not knocking Rodgers here, I just hate that excuse. Yeah he won in 2010, no you are not going to have the option to throw to Jennings, Driver, James Jones, Nelson, and Finley every year like he could that season

9 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

I find this to be BS with Rodgers, so he can only win with elite talent around him? Favre of the past and Wilson of today didn't always have elite WRs around them. That is what made them so good, Favre made WR's careers. I am not knocking Rodgers here, I just hate that excuse. Yeah he won in 2010, no you are not going to have the option to throw to Jennings, Driver, James Jones, Nelson, and Finley every year like he could that season

his defense, OL and RBs haven’t been good for a long time. Certainly hasn’t felt like even 2/3 of them have been good at the same time. Defense was always overhyped because overrated Clay Mathews. He’s always made WRs out of nobodies but at some point it’s nice to have guys that can actually get separation or provide a deep threat etc 

I went 3-1 this weekend, only getting the Titans wrong.

Superbowl Matchups 

1. 49ers vs Chiefs

2. 49ers vs Titans

3. Packers vs Chiefs

4. Packers vs Titans

Which is your preferred Superbowl matchup?

My preferred matchup would be a Superbowl I rematch of the Chiefs vs Packers. I think that would be the most entertaining game.

Ranking the Matchups

1. 49ers- Chiefs:  #1 because of the Chiefs offense vs the 49ers Defense

2. Packers- Chiefs: #2 because who doesn't want to see Mahomes vs Rodgers.

3. Titans-49ers: #3 - The ultimate underdog would have to beat the PAts, Ravens, Chiefs to get here. Then beating the best NFC team, would be the perfect way to cap their season.

4. Titans- Packers: #4- It would nice to see the Titans beat Green Bay but doesn't seem that exciting.

I think its funny, because a lot of people think Tannehill is just this game manager, but no his numbers this season were tremendous.

Patriots had an insane defense, they made a lot of QBs look lost. Ravens game he played very well, but they just didn't need him to throw that much.

My point is the Titans have much more than a game manager at QB, and Davis, Brown, and Smith are legit WR/TE threats. Having Henry with that is why they have become so tough after Tannehill was inserted. Tannehill is also benefiting from having his first ever competent offensive line

2 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

Rodgers has kept up with Favre just fine. In 20 years, Brett Favre went to playoffs 12 times. In half that time, Aaron Rodgers has gone to playoffs 8 times. Brett Favre was taking his teams to the playoffs before I was born, so I can't say what the rest of his team was like. But like what was mentioned earlier, it's been a decade until Aaron Jones got on the team that Rodgers has had a good RB. Before Jones, the entire offense was all on Rodgers' back, and when he was out it was painfully clear just how much. Since 2010, his best receiver duo was Jordy Nelson and Davante Adams. Now it's Davante Adams and the shell Jimmy Graham.

The defense has been so shoddy for so long that I won't even bother to go through that, except that they kept their DC Dom Capers for WAY too long.

It's rare for teams to get a HOF quarterback. It's even rarer for teams to get 2 HOF quarterbacks in a row. The way the Colts wasted Manning and Luck, and the Packers wasted Favre and Rodgers makes me angry. Teams go for DECADES without a good QB while other teams are content to coast along and achieve the bare minimum with superstars. It's why I respect the Chiefs right now. They have a superstar in Mahomes and they haven't pinched pennies around him. A new contract for him might change that, but for now they're making the most of him.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Titans have no choice but a heavy dose of Henry and eating up the clock.

Mahomes is unlikely to lose a shoot out.  The best chance anyone has to beat the chiefs is to limit their opportunities and bring a defense that can actually stop most of those drives.  Titans did exactly that in limiting the Pats and a Ravens to 12 and 13 points respectively.  Those two teams had much better run defenses than the chiefs on paper too.  

But the enemy of running teams is falling behind.  The chiefs can score quickly, and if the grab a decent lead early the Titans will have few good options on offense.

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I’m really curious to what chickens is a euphemism for.

Based on context, I’m fairly confident it means money.  He’s advising young players to take care of their minds, bodies, and finances so they can enjoy life after football.  

10 minutes ago, Destino said:

Based on context, I’m fairly confident it means money.  He’s advising young players to take care of their minds, bodies, and finances so they can enjoy life after football.  

He also did say bread and money so I’m thinking it may be their significant other.

1 hour ago, Destino said:

This man is a national treasure.

I’m going to end my work emails with “take care of y’all chicken” from now on.

Just about four and a half years ago, back in 2015, I advocated that Marshawn Lynch be appointed the team's PR director in replacement of Tony Wyllie. 

https://es.redskins.com/topic/392429-the-tony-wylie-thread/?do=findComment&comment=10325661

To this day I see no reason to change that.

imageproxy_php.jpeg.db34a507fd85d6b73657bff179cd469f.jpeg

The Packers can win, but their route to victory is a lot more narrow.   

Minnesota's defense had the chance to intercept Jimmy G 3 times, but only managed the one.  He is still the biggest weaknesses of their offense, but their offense is designed in order for him to not be the reason for winning/losing.   His average pass is around 5 yards.  Outside of Kittle getting wide open, he doesn't press the ball downfield much. 

The 49ers are the better overall team, and should be favored to win, but I still feel going in to the game that sometimes an elite QB like Rodgers (or Wilson, had Seattle won) can make up for where the rest of the offense lacks.   The 49ers play a lot of close 1st halves of games before leaning on that running game to break the will of their opponent.  The Pack should plan to come out aggressive, (the opposite of what the Vikes did) try to score early, and force the 49ers offense out of the style they like to play. 

29 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Does Sean Payton get the same amount of criticism for "wasting" Brees as McCarthy and Tomlin do? I've always found that curious....

Yes, but to a lesser extent. The defense there was garbage for most of the decade, but the team did generally give him a good offense. Not getting to the Super Bowl in 10 years is a disappointment for a team with a QB still setting career records.

Archived