Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Game Day Thread - SUPERBOWL - Chiefs Win!

zCommander

14 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Now we're sure to see some 8-8 teams make the playoffs.

Maybe even some 7-9 teams.

Yay

It shouldn't be more likely than what we already have. Teams with even and losing records that make the playoffs are generally division winners, who would get in regardless. In the years when that happens, there's generally more teams with better records that don't make the playoffs just because there's only 2 other spots to fight over. With 3, there should be a good chance that the other teams getting in will have good records.

All that said, I personally don't like the changes. They're one game short of allowing half the league to make the playoffs at the end of the season, which seems too open to me. I want it to be hard to make the playoffs. I also don't like 17 game regular seasons. Part of what makes the NFL so special to me is that they keep a short season, when the season ends it always leaves people wanting more, hungry for the next season. The NFL season starts in August with preseason, and with the XFL trying to take hold, the overall "football season" runs into late April. 9 months of football is a LOT, and I worry that too much of it can make people sick of football.

PFT posted what the 7th playoff team would've looked like the past 10 years.

Under new playoff format, Steelers would have had four more playoff appearances in past 10 years 

The only time we made the playoffs last 10 years was when we won the division in 2012 and 2015. Other than that, we were so bad we couldn't even be that 7th wild card team those other 8 years. 

I have no problem with 17 games because they are insisting having neutral site games. I think it's unfair to take away home games from fans, who in many cases have built those greedy owners/players a new stadium with their tax dollars.   So, every team gets 8 Home games, 8 away games and 1 neutral site game.  The exception is Jacksonville who is going to 2 London games now. So, if they expand to 17 games, I guess that's 3 games in London for Jacksonville.

The one thing, I can't believe the players aren't insisting on, if they agreeing to go to 17 games, is 2 byes.  I got no problem with 7 playoff teams.  Alot times now, there's usually a 9-10 game winner that misses the playoffs.

Wild Card Weekend will be either 3 games each night or 2 games each night with the last set of games on a Monday.

54 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

PFT posted what the 7th playoff team would've looked like the past 10 years.

Under new playoff format, Steelers would have had four more playoff appearances in past 10 years 

The only time we made the playoffs last 10 years was when we won the division in 2012 and 2015. Other than that, we were so bad we couldn't even be that 7th wild card team those other 8 years. 

We weren’t bad in 2016 though. We were 8-7-1, what would that have put us at, in terms of seeding, if the new format had been a thing back then?

9 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

We weren’t bad in 2016 though. We were 8-7-1, what would that have put us at, in terms of seeding, if the new format had been a thing back then?

The 7th seed for 2016 accord to PFT was: The Buccaneers

>>Buccaneers at Falcons.<<<

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/index.htm 

Looking at what I posted above, I think we were the 8th place nfc team, just ahead of the 8-8 Vikings.   So, we would have just missed out. If had one more win, we probably would've been that 7th seed; if that existed then. 

On 2/20/2020 at 10:37 AM, NickyJ said:

It shouldn't be more likely than what we already have. Teams with even and losing records that make the playoffs are generally division winners, who would get in regardless. In the years when that happens, there's generally more teams with better records that don't make the playoffs just because there's only 2 other spots to fight over. With 3, there should be a good chance that the other teams getting in will have good records.

All that said, I personally don't like the changes. They're one game short of allowing half the league to make the playoffs at the end of the season, which seems too open to me. I want it to be hard to make the playoffs. I also don't like 17 game regular seasons. Part of what makes the NFL so special to me is that they keep a short season, when the season ends it always leaves people wanting more, hungry for the next season. The NFL season starts in August with preseason, and with the XFL trying to take hold, the overall "football season" runs into late April. 9 months of football is a LOT, and I worry that too much of it can make people sick of football.

We're still 1 step away from Participation Trophies in the NFL

On 2/20/2020 at 12:30 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

then you would see the Superbowl on President's Day weekend.

That is the only positive I see in this whole stupid mess.  I like things the way they are.  But the SB being on President’s Day weekend automatically makes the day after the SB a national holiday, which it should have always been.

• 2 months later...

Archived