Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Game Day Thread - SUPERBOWL - Chiefs Win!

zCommander

Chiefs have such good skill players.  That helps obviously.  Damien Williams had a very good year that was often overlooked because Mahomes and the receivers were tearing it up.  They also have such good depth at all positions.  LeSean McCoy gradually got less and less playing time as the year went on, he wasn't even active for the Super Bowl.

Tyreek Hill is one of the fastest receivers in the league, then you combine that with Kelce, one of the biggest, strongest, and most athletic tight ends you'll ever see.  Another burner in Hardman, a solid veteran in Watkins.  Then the best QB in the league (debatable), but I would take Mahomes over Jackson or anyone else.

Chiefs defense got better as the year progressed, and did just enough in the Super Bowl to win.  It was their offense that changed everything though.

It's funny. Not too long ago, it was almost unheard of for a defense to call timeouts to try to gain an extra possession, in tie games or when playing with a lead.

Kyle doesn't use them it one time, and he starts getting skewered. To me the real discussion is why was this never a discussion until 5 years ago, or whenever coaches finally flipped the switch? And also started going for it on 4th downs. 

That all said Kyle "played it safe" old school style, and lost. Leave it to Beaver to teach the lad the old school methods.

For 3 quarters I was ready to admit that this may be one of the few instances where the team with the meddling QB wins a ring. Then the 4th quarter began and order was resorted. Mahomes was great and Jimmy G sucked, that and the play calling was the difference in determining a champion. Kyle should have run more late but there were plays to be made and his QB flat missed them at the most crucial time.

I really believe his lack of confidence in his QB was the reason he didn't call that TO at the end of the half. Playing with this level of QB is a severe handicap, even for a team this rock solid it was too much to overcome.  

The Chiefs defense started having more success once they realized that Jimmy G basically throws the same 2-3 passes over and over again.  They started having an extra defender play the middle of the field at the top of those deeper slant routes that the 49ers always seem to run when they are looking for chunk yardage. 

Mahommes himself also had somewhat of a sloppy game, but was great when it counted. He is very lucky he didn't end up with a 3rd INT when he threw it right into the hands of a pass rusher.

5 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Chiefs have such good skill players.  That helps obviously.  Damien Williams had a very good year that was often overlooked because Mahomes and the receivers were tearing it up.  They also have such good depth at all positions.  LeSean McCoy gradually got less and less playing time as the year went on, he wasn't even active for the Super Bowl.

they force you to cover every blade of grass on the field from the LOS to the end zone on every play. 

Reid schemes it up as well as anybody.  And he has the toys to make a defense pay if they show any tendency.  

It’s remarkable. 

Tyreek Hill is one of the fastest receivers in the league, then you combine that with Kelce, one of the biggest, strongest, and most athletic tight ends you'll ever see.  Another burner in Hardman, a solid veteran in Watkins.  Then the best QB in the league (debatable), but I would take Mahomes over Jackson or anyone else.

It’s all so complementary.  

And if everything is covered up, Maholmes can make you pay with his legs. 

It actually reminds me a lot of the SF offense in the 90’s with Young, Rice, I think Craig was still there at RB.  

They could kill you 6 different ways and if you stopped everything else, Young would just take off.  It was silly how good they were.  Holmgren was the OC I believe.  Andy was Holmgren’s QB coach in Gb.  

Funny how things like that seem to happen. 

Chiefs defense got better as the year progressed, and did just enough in the Super Bowl to win.  It was their offense that changed everything though.

Chiefs defense was built to play with a lead.  They might not be super talented but they are extremely well prepared and coached.  And as you said, they came up big in big spots.  

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

For 3 quarters I was ready to admit that this may be one of the few instances where the team with the meddling QB wins a ring. Then the 4th quarter began and order was resorted. Mahomes was great and Jimmy G sucked, that and the play calling was the difference in determining a champion. Kyle should have run more late but there were plays to be made and his QB flat missed them at the most crucial time.

I really believe his lack of confidence in his QB was the reason he didn't call that TO at the end of the half. Playing with this level of QB is a severe handicap, even for a team this rock solid it was too much to overcome.  

If Jimmy has a bad year; I can see the 49ers try to get Cousins in 2021.

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Kyle Shanahan will never win a super bowl.

If the 49ers had won last night, the local (DMV) radio media would have been insufferable even though he had two stops between here and there already.

They already want to blame Jimmy Grapes for the loss rather than the lousy play calling of his that lost Atlanta the SB a couple years ago.

That missed "Sprint Bomb" to Emmanuel Sanders will probably haunt him for a while.

Garoppolo could have won this game and made up for Shanahan's questionable calls.

Reid learned his lesson and Mahomes delivered when it mattered the most.

7 hours ago, ThePackisback said:

I was happy KC won!

Who were you Washington fans pulling for?

Bet was for 49ers, but glad the Chiefs won anyways. Nice to see SF lose 2 SB's.

6 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Good to see Kendall Fuller have a good game, man that Alex Smith trade is looking worse by the day.  Even if he did not get hurt trading assets and giving that much guaranteed money to a QB on the downside was incredibly stupid for a team that was not close despite what Idiot Bruce thought

Just so glad Allen's history now.

3 hours ago, Llevron said:

So can one of you smart guys tell me what SF did wrong to blow that lead? I think I feel asleep sometime after the 3rd quarter. 

People saying SF stopped running. That would be dumb. Is that what happened? Any idea why? 

The 3rd and 15. If Grop had made the TD pass to Sanders I feel it probably would have been another OT SB. I think Mahomes would have at least gotten the Chiefs in FG range with a minute and a half left.

One guy wasn't much into it.

Yeah they are about the same exact foul (Rudolph & Kittle), and what it really shows is how inconsistent the officiating is.  THAT is the problem.  Offensive skill position players are so rarely called for their blatant penalties that when they are the fans feel like they are getting ripped off/cheated/screwed over when the reality is it is usually the absolute correct call according to the rules.

16 hours ago, Llevron said:

So can one of you smart guys tell me what SF did wrong to blow that lead? I think I feel asleep sometime after the 3rd quarter. 

People saying SF stopped running. That would be dumb. Is that what happened? Any idea why? 

IMO it was equal blame.  Kyle threw too much and trusted a QB who was not made for prime time and missed a few open receivers, including Sanders for a TD

9 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Yeah they are about the same exact foul (Rudolph & Kittle), and what it really shows is how inconsistent the officiating is.  THAT is the problem.  Offensive skill position players are so rarely called for their blatant penalties that when they are the fans feel like they are getting ripped off/cheated/screwed over when the reality is it is usually the absolute correct call according to the rules.

I thought the officiating for the first half was excellent, including the correct call on Kittle.  In the second half however it seemed like SF got every bad break.  How they missed an obvious off sides on a 3rd down when Jimmy G was pushed out of bounds (not a penalty) was inexcusable.  

Archived