Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

27 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Not much in the way of tweets, but apparently all 3 QB's looked like refried ass today. Similar to yesterday apparently. Missing reads/throws, a few picks. Not sure if it's just a random bad day or two, or if the defense is just catching on to the O's tricks.

Hopefully, they're working on something new and this is learning curve. Training camp isn't the worst time to practice what the team doesn't do well.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Hopefully, they're working on something new and this is learning curve. Training camp isn't the worst time to practice what the team doesn't do well.

I agree. Especially with Haskins, they need to figure out what they can and cant get away with. Better to do that at camp.

2 hours ago, zskins said:

So the starters are Colt, Keenum and Haskins (in that order) with Doctson, Richardson and Quinn as your WR. Hmmm.... Interesting. 

I wouldn't put much into that starting roster list that was put out. It's too early.

Remember last year, Gruden joked that he didn't make it. Tony Wylie did.

I do know that Gruden said that there was a good chance that not all the QBs would play this Thursday in Cleveland.

My wild guess would be McCoy will sit. He is still coming back from that badly broken leg, and Gruden in press interviews sounds like he feels Colt hasn't gotten enough reps yet.

6 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I just checked and it appears none of our preseason games are nationally televised.

Redskins have a lower amount than average of nationally televised games in the regular season, too, if I remember correctly. I guess if ratings and attendance are down locally then why would national audience care?

5 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Is there a list of who is practicing and who is getting a rest day?

Sweat, McCoy, Christian, Brailford, Roullier, Richardson, Guice, Thompson, Reed, etc etc have I think all been given days off or limited snaps in camp as a precaution.

Are any of these considered worrisome or just normal prudence?

Listening to Finlay, the only injury he seems concerned about is Brantley. 

5 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

You get the feeling we use him in goal line situations again, or perhaps even on other plays like 3rd or 4th and short ?

I saw him come in once at FB so I assume so unless Flanagan makes the team considering I saw them experiment with him, too on that front. 

I just read the article and unless am missing it that's the third season in a row where I read Ryan is working on being in better shape.  I recall reading he was out of shape his rookie year in camp but worked on getting into better shape during the season.   Then last year recall reading he's taking being in shape more seriously.  Now ditto this season?  Sort of a strange narrative.   He doesn't come off in those narrative as a dude that goes 100 miles in hour as to prepping his body.  It brings me back to his combine which he basically bombed -- he was slow and had poor agility -- but attributed to that he's not a combine guy.  All these articles about him now taking his body more seriously is striking to me in light of the combine narrative from years back. 

Finlay was saying either today or maybe it was yesterday that Anderson isn't standing out in camp.    I am not down on Anderson personally but it seems like a now or never year for him if he's going to emerge as a starter type.  PFF liked his play last year versus the run so that's good - but hopefully he gets some sacks when he has opportunities this season. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I saw him come in once at FB so I assume so unless Flanagan makes the team considering I saw them experiment with him, too on that front. 

I just read the article and unless am missing it that's the third season in a row where I read Ryan is working on being in better shape.  I recall reading he was out of shape his rookie year in camp but worked on getting into better shape during the season.   Then last year recall reading he's taking being in shape more seriously.  Now ditto this season?  Sort of a strange narrative.   He doesn't come off in those narrative as a dude that goes 100 miles in hour as to prepping his body.  It brings me back to his combine which he basically bombed -- he was slow and had poor agility -- but attributed to that he's not a combine guy.  All these articles about him now taking his body more seriously is striking to me in light of the combine narrative from years back. 

Finlay was saying either today or maybe it was yesterday that Anderson isn't standing out in camp.  

I noticed that too. I see they currently have him listed ahead of Sweat on the depth chart...which of course doesn't mean much right now. But I'm sure that won't last long.

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

I noticed that too. I see they currently have him listed ahead of Sweat on the depth chart...which of course doesn't mean much right now. But I'm sure that won't last long.

It's quite the contrast physically.  Sweat is this athletic freak and Anderson is a poor athlete for the position but makes up for by being a try hard guy.    I am ok with Anderson but i'd put my money on Sweat. 

7 hours ago, Bantu said:

Redskins have a lower amount than average of nationally televised games in the regular season, too, if I remember correctly. I guess if ratings and attendance are down locally then why would national audience care?

I was thinking, at least for preseason, that maybe having Haskins might be an influence on getting a national game. But I guess not.

7 minutes ago, TheMalcolmConnection said:

Ryan Anderson reminds me a lot of Phillip Daniels but at another position. Always just "solid". I'll take that every day of the week...

Not me aside from Daniels was strong against the run and so was Anderson last year.  Daniels was a freak in terms of his build -- he was like a DT playing end.  Daniels emerged as a starter for part of his career - and that hasn't happened for Anderson, yet.

I am ok with Anderson but all of these articles about him now taking being in shape seriously seem a little odd to me.  Also, I didn't love the narrative of him showing up out of shape (according to some including even Jay hinting at it) during his rookie year.   The last time I recall reading about a rookie showing up to camp out of shape was Devin Thomas -- who got called out by Zorn about it at the time.

Anyway hopefully this is Anderson's year.   I love the narrative about the dude being the angry warrior.   It's good that he's decent against the run but hopefully he upgrades his pass rush this year, too.  I am not really sweating it though (pun intended) because I think Sweat is going to be a monster. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not me aside from Daniels was strong against the run and so was Anderson last year.  Daniels was a freak in terms of his build -- he was like a DT playing end.  Daniels emerged as a starter for part of his career - and that hasn't happened for Anderson, yet.

I am ok with Anderson but all of these articles about him now taking being in shape seriously just seem odd.  Also, I didn't love the narrative of him showing up out of shape (according to some including even Jay hinting at it) during his rookie year.   The last time I recall reading about a rookie showing uo to camp out of shape was Devin Thomas -- who got called out by Zorn about it at the time.

Anyway hopefully this is Anderson's year.   I love the narrative about the dude being the angry warrior.   It's good that he's decent against the run but hopefully he upgrades his pass rush this year, too.  I am not really sweating it though (pun intended) because I think Sweat is going to be a monster. 

Seems odd that a guy from Saban's program would have a habit of being out of shape.

11 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Seems odd that a guy from Saban's program would have a habit of being out of shape.

Yeah me too.  Also like I said it makes me harken back to how defiant he was about how bad his combine numbers were -- maybe it had something to do with him being out of shape versus his line that "he doesn't do combine but he's a football player"?  🙄  Nonetheless, if he's in good shape now maybe it portends well for him. Maybe Finlay has it out for him but this is also the third camp in a row where he said he's not standing out.  Granted Finlay's take is far from the be all and end all.  When I was in camp I didn't really pay attention to Anderson so I don't have my own take, yet. 

17 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I guess I have to pump my breaks a little.  But I’m thinking more, let’s get all our horses out on the field and see what they can do.  Sweat would be starting for me, but just on a very few amount of snaps.

Archived