Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

LOL, I was thinking the same thing when i watched the conference.  Trent's agent can go heck the HC said he's needed in the worst way and he's the best LT in the league.  Solder is getting 15-16 mill.  We should get 17 million and get paid as the top LT in the league. 

Trent is already getting paid $14M this year and next. If he wants another $3M per and an extra year - fine. But I suspect he wants a lot more than that.

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

As I said in the other thread, I hope we trade him.  Would get back at least a 2020 2nd round pick, would take his contract off the books, and would give us further incentive to sit Haskins his rookie year.  Works for me.

A 2nd?  Not convinced we would get that.  

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Trent is already getting paid $14M this year and next. If he wants another $3M per and an extra year - fine. But I suspect he wants a lot more than that.

$3M per more and he'd have the most expensive Offensive Line cap hit in 2019.  If he wants a lot more than that...what does he want, QB money?

Back at the combine I referred to Bruce saying we had the most money in the league invested in the OL. Something along those lines. That was in context over a question about Scherff. It will be interesting to see how these two OL situations unfold.

The front office has actually managed to reshape the bulk of the roster, players volume wise, from a salary cap/contract perspective, fairly well. 

Clearly Collins got a hugh deal but he's in for the long haul, the other deals like Smith, Norman, Trent, Reed, Kerrigan, may well get chipped away at before the CBA expires and the new batch of deals are needed e.g. Along the DL,

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

$3M per more and he'd have the most expensive Offensive Line cap hit in 2019.  If he wants a lot more than that...what does he want, QB money?

I have no idea what he wants - but I'd imagine he wants more than one extra year and significant new money to sign including some up front bonus. 

His cap hit could actually go down on a restructure. At least the next couple of years, but then you risk having an older injured tackle with a big cap hit/dead cap.

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

Trents not getting any younger or healthier but he is still an elite tackle.

He's out of contract though at the end of next season at $12.5M with per game roster bonus of $250K (so $16.5M total). His cap number this year and next is just over $14M. There might be away to add a couple of years to the deal, give him some new money and reduce his cap impact this year and next to create some room to add some talent next offseason.

I don't like extending players who are over 30 though and have injury history.

The 250k in game bonus is maximum for the season, circa 15k per game.

his actual cash due is just over 11m in 2019 and 12.5mil in 2020.

the rest of the cap hit is prorated signing and option bonus.

What to do with Trent? Sure when healthy he is a top 3/5 LT but he’s 31 and has missed a lot of games or misses plays during a game. He obviously knows if he doesn’t go for bigger money now he won’t get it after his contract expires. 

I think its a bit premature for people to say trade him. Maybe all it will take is to extend his contract a couple years and add a few million in guaranteed money. If that’s the case then we kinda need to do it right?

I wonder if the front office saw this in advance and signed Flowers to protect themselves. Note: just read that Flowers looked awful today. Not good. 

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

The 250k in game bonus is maximum for the season, circa 15k per game.

his actual cash due is just over 11m in 2019 and 12.5mil in 2020.

the rest of the cap hit is prorated signing and option bonus.

Thanks

So another $4M to $5M per would take him to the top of the tackle per year average. The bigger risk is how many years he wants added, guarantees and what upfront money to sign.

Again he is not getting any younger and it's a stretch to think he will get healthier than he has been.

Just now, MartinC said:

Thanks

So another $4M to $5M per would take him to the top of the tackle per year average. The bigger risk is how many years he wants added, guarantees and what upfront money to sign.

Again he is not getting any younger and it's a stretch to think he will get healthier than he has been.

Id pay him more. He has to be worth 3-4mil per year more than he is now on, but as you say there's more to it. I can see merit in Trent's position though, the devil being in the detail as ever....

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Such a crap move by a Skins legend. If you arent going to stick by a contract THAT YOU AGREED TO than dont sign the damn thing in the first place. I cant stand this garbage. 

Meh - hard to blame the player for using his leverage. The team would not hesitate to walk away from the last two years of his deal if it suited them given there is no more guaranteed money. It's a business.

Players do need to be careful what they wish for though - Bell probably cost himself several million dollars with his holdout AND ended up being on the Jets with a HC who apparently did not want him ...

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Which means he has already been paid that money. He has made over 95 MILLION dollars in his career. It is a trash move. Period.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/trent-williams-6513/cash-earnings/

As a fan, yeah it sucks.

But just as someone else said, teams find any way they can to get out of contracts they agreed to.

When it becomes pay me OR trade me, there is probably more to the soup.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

As a fan, yeah it sucks.

But just as someone else said, teams find any way they can to get out of contracts they agreed to.

When it becomes pay me OR trade me, there is probably more to the soup.

I would choose Option C. Let him sit out and see how long he can go without a paycheck... unless we get a 1st or high 2nd rounder in a trade. 

26 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Such a crap move by a Skins legend. If you arent going to stick by a contract THAT YOU AGREED TO than dont sign the damn thing in the first place. I cant stand this garbage. 

Do you feel this way when teams cut players, even franchise legends, for purely business reasons?

Idk, maybe I'm better than most at separating the emotion of being a fan with my rational side, but this stuff doesn't bother me. It sucks as a fan, absolutely. I hate it on that level. But it's a business and Trent is gonna hobble around on bad knees the rest of his life while crossing his fingers that he doesn't have CTE. Is that what he signed up for, for millions and fame? Of course, it's not a sob story or anything. But do I blame him for milking every cent and being a smart businessman in the transaction of his health for our entertainment? I don't blame him at all. Get paid (more), man. Good for you.

Hope it works out. But even my massive fandom can't make me side with the billionaires over the millionaires risking their health, here. Fully on the players' side on these issues, as I'd make the smart financial decision as well in their place. I can't be mad at that, or it would be hypocritical. 

30 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Thanks

I'm curious to know his logic here.  Downside of his career, has been hurt a lot over the past few years...and he wants more?

15 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Do you feel this way when teams cut players, even franchise legends, for purely business reasons?

Idk, maybe I'm better than most at separating the emotion of being a fan with my rational side, but this stuff doesn't bother me. It sucks as a fan, absolutely. I hate it on that level. But it's a business and Trent is gonna hobble around on bad knees the rest of his life while crossing his fingers that he doesn't have CTE. Is that what he signed up for, for millions and fame? Of course, it's not a sob story or anything. But do I blame him for milking every cent and being a smart businessman in the transaction of his health for our entertainment? I don't blame him at all. Get paid (more), man. Good for you.

Hope it works out. But even my massive fandom can't make me side with the billionaires over the millionaires risking their health, here. Fully on the players' side on these issues, as I'd make the smart financial decision as well in their place. I can't be mad at that, or it would be hypocritical. 

If his contract was up I would agree with you 100%. Get as much as you can. But he signed the contract. He knew and agreed to what he would be paid. 

17 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Which means he has already been paid that money. He has made over 95 MILLION dollars in his career. It is a trash move. Period.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/trent-williams-6513/cash-earnings/

More relevant is that his last four seasons cash average is 12.5mil with an average of 12mil p/y due in 2019 and 2020. That is now at least 25% less than market value and whilst I wouldn't make Trent the highest paid LT, I think a degree of negotiation at this stage is more than reasonable.

--It's possible nobody is having a worse minicamp than Ereck Flowers. After getting manhandled by Sweat last week, Flowers, playing at the left tackle position, was picked up and moved around like a piece of unwanted furniture throughout Tuesday's drills. Ryan Anderson will look like a Pro Bowler in the film room when the tape is reviewed. The Redskins, hopefully, are coming up with starting five combinations that don't involve counting on Flowers.

--If I were Trent Williams, and I saw what was happening on the practice field, I'd hold out too. He's an essential piece of this year's team.

--At the same time, the Redskins would be crazy to give him an extension. Williams has two years left, and then would have one manageable season on the franchise tag. Paying Trent Williams top dollar now for what he might provide you in 2022? Not a good idea.

https://www.richmond.com/sports/redskins/redskins-observations-the-deep-ball-is-back-in/article_487838aa-86db-11e9-a986-6b9cf85de59d.html

Only on the Redskins would an overrated player who hasn't even lived up to his current contract want a new, larger contract. As a fan, there are so many levels of GO **** YOURSELF!!! brewing inside me. I would make him eat the fines and call his bluff. Go ahead, retire. We dare you.

This is a very crude, but well timed move by Trent and his agent. We are coming off a season where 2 of the starting QBs got destroyed and are trying to get ready to have a rookie QB develop. The problem is that we don't have too much cap space to be playing with. 

Maybe this move is more designed to force a trade? If he wanted a new deal shouldn't he have brought this up before free agency and the draft so the team has more time to plan? From Trent's side he's 30, the team will be going into a season with a rookie QB (so he probably has lowered expectations), he has missed time in each of the past 5 seasons and if he waits until his contract is up he'll be past his prime and may no longer be employable in the NFL. Even if he wants one chance to win a title in the next couple seasons just based on our roster/contracts it might be best to be elsewhere. 

15 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm curious to know his logic here.  Downside of his career, has been hurt a lot over the past few years...and he wants more?

He is better placed to get a new deal now at 30 on a team with no depth at his position than he will be at 32 when we might have drafted/developed his replacement.

Archived